Sandman - to Netflix, with Neil Gaiman producing

Comments

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I'm cautiously excited about this!  David Goyer's involvement makes me nervous, he's screwed up a lot of things, but Gaiman having a say should keep the important elements of the story together.
    darwinfeeshyElisa
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I'll be interested to see where they story at and how close it stays to the comics.  Gaiman includes a lot of the wider DC Universe in the beginning of the story and that diminishes as the story moves along.  

It would be interesting to see Constantine and some of the other mystical DC U characters show up.

They really need to be smart when they cast Death and obviously Dream/Morpheus. They got to nail those two. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Yes, and I wonder what the balance of serial versus story of the week they're going to use.
    Yes, and I wonder what the balance of serial versus story of the week they're going to use.
    There are some pretty visually trippy story arcs (i.e. Corinthian or even just showing Delirium) from the comic so I wonder if they tame those down or just lean into them? 

I guarantee they will use the Hob check-in's with Dream as a reoccurring way to get you an episode here or there that doesn't follow the main heavy narrative.

Seems like they may have Lucifer in it some too sense they are both netflix and its a spinoff of Sandman in the comics. 
    rhcoop said:
    Seems like they may have Lucifer in it some too sense they are both netflix and its a spinoff of Sandman in the comics. 
    And that was a very cool story arc.  
    rhcoop
  • Totally off Sandman topic, but on Gaiman. I just saw a picture and I now believe Neil Gaiman is Stranger Things' Finn Wolfhard sent back from the future.

On topic, I don't know anything about the material, but I find all of this very intriguing based on this conversation and the basic aesthetic that they seem to be signaling.
    Travis said:
    On topic, I don't know anything about the material, but I find all of this very intriguing based on this conversation and the basic aesthetic that they seem to be signaling.
    It's arguably, probably unarguably, the best written comic book of all time, it reads closer to literature than anything you'd ever see in another comic...and it's not just fancy writing, the ideas, issues and concepts that it explored were amazing, truly revolutionary for the comic book industry (and shocking for the late 80's early 90's).
    TravisElisa
    Yeah,  I found out a lot about myth from reading Sandman.  For instance the implementation of this cult actually kinda got to me.   
    CretanBull
    Yeah,  I found out a lot about myth from reading Sandman.  For instance the implementation of this cult actually kinda got to me.   
    The Wednesday night D&D game that I DM is loosely based on the 'Worlds End' storyline...the players began in their home city, traveled by ship to another region but got shipwrecked along the way and washed up on an uncharted island.  After exploring the island for a bit, they discovered an inn (no town, just an inn) where inside they met other travelers who were similarly lost in someway.  The island is a nexus point between different worlds, and like "LOST" it draws people to it.  The inn is based on the one in Worlds End (which I think was called the "World's End"?) and what draws people to the island is a 'reality storm' just like in the Sandman comics.

Doctor_Nick
    https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/02/neil-gaiman-explains-how-sandmans-first-season-will-play-out/

This is a good article and has Gaiman confirming that this is going to be a pretty faithful adaptation of the entire run of the series.