504 - "Sons of the Harpy" - SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• o.adeniyi said:

8) I believe that the scene where
    Bronn saves Jaimie from the snake in the sands of Dorne symbolizes a future
    scene of Bronn saving Jaime’s life from a Sand Snake and most likely dying
    in the process. I also believe when Jaime said he wanted to die in the arms of
    the woman he loves, he will either die strangling Cersei to death or in the
    arms of Brienne similarly to the bathtub scene in season 3. 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Jamie will be the valonqar. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that I don't think they've mentioned that part of the prophecy on the show, I could be wrong. If it hasn't been mentioned, maybe its because they want someone else to kill Cersei? Or will they work it in later on when it is more relevant?
    ElisaCJwriterJayInMemphis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Got a few feedbacks after last week pondering Jon Snow as the Valonqar.  He's the younger half brother of Robb, but if you believe in R+L=J, which let's face it, we all do, then he can't be a "younger brother".  Or, actually, I guess he could be the youngest half-brother to Rhaegar's children.

I'm not sure what to make of it.  I like Jaime or the Hound better.
    Elisa
  • browniefivebrowniefive Minneapolis, MN

I was surprised that A.Ron read that little tidbit about R+L=J. Very bold. But even more surprised that Jim had NO reaction whatseover. Totally unphased/unimpressed, he's just not sold haha.

I felt the same way. I was listening on my way to work this morning and was all, "wtf Jim???"

I remember the first time someone even POSED that idea to me a few years ago when we were reading the books and I was all <insert brain explosion sound here>. 

Maybe he thinks it's lame?
    schadenfreudianslipksa1001
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited May 2015
    @elisa nettles is believed by many to have some old Valyrian blood possibly but she wasn't the only non Targ dragon rider in Princess and The Queen. It's been a year since I read it but I recall there were more.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @janiegetyourgun the Dornish accent is supposed to be Spanish/Moorish and Pablo Pascal is Chilean so it was easy.  The others  (Elaria/Sand Snakes, DorAn) do sound a lot like my Spanish ex pat friends though hahahha, so I don't have a problem with them.  

Jamie is most definitely the valonqar.  I am just so puzzled why it's not a part of the show.  
  • EnverEnver Toronto

I've heard those actors in interviews and they speak perfectly good (well?) English. When they try to do the accent, it's not consistent cause not everybody can get it right. I think Indira Varma forces it too much.

What I don't get is, how isolated has Dorne been from the rest of the kingdoms? If you compare Westeros to the States, it's not like they're a different country altogether, only a region/area of the same continent. Somebody from Boston is recognizable and differs from someone from the south (speaking with the southern drawl). Even Canadians have their own quirky way of pronouncing words like "aboot" etc. The British would dispute we (north Americans) speak with an accent. But it's all part of the same language. The Dornish to me sound like they had to learn English as a second language, not born learning it first hand. Unless they're like Luigi from The Simpsons, who can't speak a lick of Italian and the only reason he talks like that is because both his parents spoke to him with the accent and that's all he picked up.

steph_b
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I'd argue that Tyrion and Littlefinger's accents are pretty bad too. It's a fictional land so I guess there's no true correct accent but all I hear with Tyrion is an American doing a poor British accent.
    pavlovsbellElisa
  • steph_b said:

I'd argue that Tyrion and Littlefinger's accents are pretty bad too. It's a fictional land so I guess there's no true correct accent but all I hear with Tyrion is an American doing a poor British accent.

Yes and yes
    steph_b
  • Enver said:

I've heard those actors in interviews and they speak perfectly good (well?) English. When they try to do the accent, it's not consistent cause not everybody can get it right. I think Indira Varma forces it too much.

What I don't get is, how isolated has Dorne been from the rest of the kingdoms? If you compare Westeros to the States, it's not like they're a different country altogether, only a region/area of the same continent. Somebody from Boston is recognizable and differs from someone from the south (speaking with the southern drawl). Even Canadians have their own quirky way of pronouncing words like "aboot" etc. The British would dispute we (north Americans) speak with an accent. But it's all part of the same language. The Dornish to me sound like they had to learn English as a second language, not born learning it first hand. Unless they're like Luigi from The Simpsons, who can't speak a lick of Italian and the only reason he talks like that is because both his parents spoke to him with the accent and that's all he picked up.

Ah, good point.
    Elisa said:

@janiegetyourgun the Dornish accent is supposed to be Spanish/Moorish and Pablo Pascal is Chilean so it was easy.  The others  (Elaria/Sand Snakes, DorAn) do sound a lot like my Spanish ex pat friends though hahahha, so I don't have a problem with them.  

Jamie is most definitely the valonqar.  I am just so puzzled why it's not a part of the show.  
    Maybe it's because I'm a Cuban from Miami so the spanish accent I'm used to differs vastly haha.

Elisa
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    steph_b said:

BLASHPHEMY!!

The Dinklage can do no wrong!
    CJwriter
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm with @steph_b , I've gotten used to it by now, but Dinklage's accent was painful the first few seasons.  Gillen is so hammy as Littlefinger that his ever-changing accent somehow fits his character.
    ksa1001Elisasteph_b
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The Dornish are very insular so it that is why they have that accent IMO. That said looking foward to more on Dorne and the sand snakes.
  • o.adeniyi

Some comments on your post:

I too fully expect that Cersei is going to plan to use tell The Faith that Margaery hasn't been faithful to Tommen and such and that this will backfire and lead to the walk of shame.

1) I'm expecting both the mutiny/Jon getting stabbed to occur this season.  Either episode 9 or 10.  Not sure who will lead it but at the same point, I don't think it really matters who leads it, just that it happens.  Same with Melissandre warning Jon that he's in danger.

2) As far as the Northern Conspiracy, it's also a matter of where they have Davos go and if he's going to end the season to go find/retrieve Rickon.

3) Probably correct about that prostitute.  As for Hizdahr, we already know from the books that he was trying to take down Dany, so for a book reader, that's not shocking.

4) Interesting, I guess we'll see where this goes.

5) Another we'll see.  I'll be happy if we get Olena back on the show.  I enjoyed her character.

6) I'll be disappointed if this prediction comes true.  I loved the fact in the books that Varys completely disappears only to re-emerge at the end of book 5 to kill Kevan (even though I enjoyed Kevan Lannister).

7) As I've seen mentioned, won't be surprised if Meryn Trant ends up being killed by Arya to take the place of the Night's Watch brother that she kills for being a deserted.

8) Bron may also end up taking the place of someone else in the books that ends up getting killed during the whole Marcella battle.  And Jamie would be an interesting twist to be the valonquar.

JayInMemphis
    The thing about Dorne is that it has been separate from the other Kingdoms.  A thousand years ago, the Rhoynar from Essos came and conquered Dorne, taking it from the Andals that had invaded Westeros thousands of years prior, who had taken the southern half of Westeros from the First Men, who had themselves taken it from the Children of the Forest, who for all I know took it from the White Walkers, who maybe, possibly, were the first to take up residency. 

Anyway, 300 years ago, Aegon I came from Valyria with his dragons and his sisters and conquered all of Westeros, except for Dorne.  Dorne stubbornly resisted all attempts to pacify it for an additional 150 years, when it was finally brought under Targaryen rule through a marriage alliance.

That explains why the North is distinctly different from the South, which is distinctly different in culture, accent, etc as Dorne.  
    Elisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    *DO* we know that Hizdar is responsible for the take down of Dany? It is heavily implied and Barristan even keeps him on house arrest but by the end of ADWD I got the distinct impression he was more of a useful tool for the real power behind the operation - most likely the Green Grace. He seems far too obvious a choice for the way GRRM does things. Maybe the show will go with him though.
    Elisa
    I'm suspicious of the Shaved Pate, myself.  I'm sure you've seen the collection of essays "Untangling the Meereenese Knot", yes?
    steph_bElisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    @A_Ron_Hubbard  Shave Pate is also extremely likely. I just love the brains and creativity in the ASOIAF fandom. There are so many well thought out and well written essays. Even if most of these theories aren't true it is still so much fun to entertain them. I'm not sure if I read that particular essay you linked but will definitely check it out now. Are you planning to cover some of those Sons of the Harpy theories in this season's spoilore cast? 

Elisa
  • Hadn't read the Untangling the Meereenese Knot until now. Interesting read.  Hizdahr might be the patsy in the end game but there is something that I still don't trust about him.  As for the point in the article:

"If Hizdahr knew about the locusts, wouldn’t he try to ensure that Dany alone would eat them? What was his backup plan if somebody else did, or if Dany didn’t want any (as proved to be the case?)"

Can't say what his backup plan was because we didn't get a chance to see it (or see it yet), but still, if Hizdahr made a big deal that Dany had to try the locusts, then it becomes too suspicious.  So he tries to get her to eat some and if she refuses or someone else eats them, oh well.  You notice Hizdahr doesn't start snacking on them either after he's talked them up so much.  If he was truly a patsy and didn't know about them, why doesn't he take a bite or eat one?

steph_bElisaJayInMemphisuncle_g
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited May 2015
    Hizdhar is most likely involved and not a complete innocent but I don't think he knows nearly as much as we are lead to suspect. May be plausible deniability at play or he may just not be too great a player but has the right pedigree needed to play his particular role. 

Seems to me that there may be further reason to back up the "its not Hizdahr" argument in the TWOW Barristan preview chapter that was published in the ADWD paperback. Its been a long time since I read the preview chapter so I am not sure if everything I'm basing my opinions on is from ADWD or if some comes from that chapter. 

I've seen some non-reader speculation about the SOns of the Harpy that is particularly insightful. Sean on the History of Westeros podcast had some thoughts about who the Sons of the Harpy might actually be and its not a bunch of former pampered masters. I believe he suspected that they were perhaps sellswords and maybe Daario was involved. He made a compelling case based on how they were able to so easily ambush the Unsullied who are supposed to be the most elite fighting men in that universe. 
    Elisa
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    Not sure who the 'boy' is in this week's episode 'Kill the Boy,' but l think Pod better watch out. Tomman? Lorys? Olly?
    Elisa
    I actually think the "Kill the Boy" is in reference to Maester Aemon's counsel to Jon on becoming Lord Commander.  "You will have little joy of your command, but I think you have the strength in you to do the things that must be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born."  Essentially, "swallow a bag of cement and get hard."
    steph_bElisaJayInMemphisMrMattCJwriterksa1001uncle_g
  • I'm a book reader and I think littlefinger might be in serious trouble
    based on how the double-ds are handling the faith militant storyline.

I
    write screenplays as a hobby so I love seeing how GoT handles all the
    exposition and explaining required to make sure everyone knows what's
    going on without making the show dull. Normally they manage this without
    missing a beat, however, in Son's of the Harpy I noticed a rare bit of
    clunkiness which has got me thinking. When the Faith Militant show up at
    the brothel Oliver informs them that this is 'Petyr Baelish's
    establishment' or words to that effect. He says almost exactly the same
    thing in the previous episode when the High Septon is abducted.

This
    is known as a double beat - as in giving the audience
    exactly the same information in the same way twice. It's a pretty
    elementary mistake that I wouldn't expect the GoT team to be guilty of
    unless it's REALLY important that the audience be reminded that this is
    Littlefinger's brothel.

Why would they be at such pains to point
    this out? Perhaps so that it makes sense when Littlefinger is captured
    and tried by the faith militant on his return?

We know we're beyond the books so nothing is off the table...

- Maybe Cersei feeds the sparrows littlefinger hoping it will save her from her own crimes
    - Maybe we get some more badass Westerosi courtroom action with Baelish arguing his way out of charges
    -
    Is it beyond the realms of reason to think that Baelish might have just
    outlived his usefulness to the story and is ready to be this season's
    shocking death in yet another public execution?

I know this is
    wild conjecture based on very little, but I think there's definitely
    something in the double-d's preoccupation with the brothel this season.
    steph_bElisaJayInMemphisksa1001
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I've been thinking they'll still go after Marg but on charges of incest & threesomes with her brother and Renly and Olyvar. We had the scene with Marg walking in on Olyvar and Loras in episode 1. Then back in season 2 we had Marg offer to bring Loras into bed with her & Renly. Remember, LF was in Renly's camp at that time. Could be Cersei needs LF back to testify against Marg & Loras.

That's how I'd like to see things go down. 

ElisaSlytherinSister
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    If Cersei pushes LF into a corner - look out claws out. Cersei is going down!
    steph_b
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    Hey, what about (show) Mace Tyrell?

Sure, there's speculation that Arya will kill Meryn. I can see that. But Cersei is having Meryn accompany Mace, and her motivation isn't the unintended consequence of weakening Tommen's defenses.

Mace could wind up seriously injured this season. It so happened that Loras was seriously hurt as we left him in the books, and there was a lack of steady news.

It's possible that Mace gets attacked by Meryn and, while attempting to convalesce (as Meryn is removed from the picture), learns about the disruption to his family by Cersei.

At this point, who knows what sort of havoc may have been wrought on the Tyrells in frantic power plays? Cersei may not be able to get the Faith Militant to hold back from killing Loras. Marg might actually alight to Highgarden to see Olena. Olena would potentially find a way to reach Mace in Braavos, especially if briefly reunited with or speaking with Littlefinger.

At this point, how bad are Mace's injuries? Did he get re injured somehow? Did he take any collateral hit from Arya? Is he just not healing? Does he find himself despairing and drinking poison in the House of Black and White to send a Faceless Man into King's Landing to kill Tommen?

For the answers to those questions and more, stay tuned with your decoder rings. And remember...don't forget to drink your Ovaltine!
    steph_bksa1001
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    Oh my god I love the idea of Mace sending the FM!
    ElisaJayInMemphis
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ; Yes. You're absolutely right about 'kill the boy'. I'd forgotten that. The double D's do like dual messages in their titles at times.
    steph_bElisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited May 2015
    I suspect that in addition to the Aemon speech we will get some other tie in to kill the boy. Maybe the High Sparrow can deliver Septon Meribald's broken man speech too.
    Elisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    Did someone in the feedback section call that Cersei had that box with Myrcella's necklace faked in order to send Jaime off? I can't remember if it was Bald Move or if I heard that somewhere else.
  • I'm pretty sure that was the Bald Move cast @steph_b
    But I listen to so many GOT casts, I can't be 100% positive either.
    steph_b
This discussion has been closed.