UFC / MMA talk...

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
edited July 9 in General
Francis Ngannou Vs Junior dos Santos:  Anyone else see this fight? I’m not an avid UFC guy but some of my peeps are and we got a rare stag hangout on fight night. That guy truly is Tyson-esque. It’s exciting to watch a guy like that come around again. 
BloodyTacoCecily

Comments

• cdrive said:
    Anyone else see this fight? I’m not an avid UFC guy but some of my peeps are and we got a rare stag hangout on fight night. That guy truly is Tyson-esque. It’s exciting to watch a guy like that come around again. 
    I did not but this definitely intrigues me.  I'll have to try and find a recap to catch.  I used to follow the UFC pretty regularly granted I didn't buy all the PPVs because they're stupid expensive but I've definitely fallen off the past year or so. 
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 9
    I changed the title to just a general "UFC / MMA talk"  becaaauuuuse...

Did anyone hear about the Jorge Masvidal 5 second KO of Ben Askren?  I heard about it on the radio this morning and had to look it up.  Holy f**k!  This sport is violent!  I don't know how I feel about it.  

Then the #Disrespect:

So Masdival was catching smoke about celebrating, but his response is perfect and I kinda have to agree with him. Askren talking about his ethnicity, his religion, his wife, his kids....that is like ALL the No-No's.  

“Man, there’s not too many people that I’ve disliked,” Masvidal said. “I have over 50 pro fights and he’s one of them. He talked about my manhood, he talked about my culture, my ethnicity – where do we draw – why do certain people get to do stuff online? So you can do anything – everything is cool to say before a fight, you’re allowed to do or say whatever you want – like other fighters are now doing talking about people’s religion, wife, even kids – that’s cool?

“But after a fight I’m not allowed to showboat and rub it in your face so you and guys like you can see that ‘Maybe I don’t talk so much sh*t because when I cross one of these real mother f*ckers they’re gonna make me pay for it man, they’re gonna embarrass the sh*t out of me.’ And it’s not over for Ben either, he still has to deal with me – if I see him at Whole Foods, Ima still slap that dude up, because I don’t like him.”

Cecily
  • edited July 9
    cdrive said:

So Masdival was catching smoke about celebrating, but his response is perfect and I kinda have to agree with him. Askren talking about his ethnicity, his religion, his wife, his kids....that is like ALL the No-No's.  

“Man, there’s not too many people that I’ve disliked,” Masvidal said. “I have over 50 pro fights and he’s one of them. He talked about my manhood, he talked about my culture, my ethnicity – where do we draw – why do certain people get to do stuff online? So you can do anything – everything is cool to say before a fight, you’re allowed to do or say whatever you want – like other fighters are now doing talking about people’s religion, wife, even kids – that’s cool?

“But after a fight I’m not allowed to showboat and rub it in your face so you and guys like you can see that ‘Maybe I don’t talk so much sh*t because when I cross one of these real mother f*ckers they’re gonna make me pay for it man, they’re gonna embarrass the sh*t out of me.’ And it’s not over for Ben either, he still has to deal with me – if I see him at Whole Foods, Ima still slap that dude up, because I don’t like him.”

Ben didn't talk about his religion, wife or kids. That was Conor crossing the with Khabib. For some reason Jorge rolled that into his beef with Ben. Honestly Jorge is a huge hypocrite here because he does all kinds of shit talking. He has many times questioned the manhood of other fighters. Not to mention he is best friends with Colby Covington who, if you didn’t know, regularly crosses lines to promote himself.

I hope Masvidal gets the the title shot against Usman, so he can get smushed.

(That was an amazing knockout tho)
    cdrive

Ben didn't talk about his religion, wife or kids. That was Conor crossing the with Khabib. For some reason Jorge rolled that into his beef with Ben. Honestly Jorge is a huge hypocrite here because he does all kinds of shit talking. He has many times questioned the manhood of other fighters. Not to mention he is best friends with Colby Covington who, if you didn’t know, regularly crosses lines to promote himself.

I hope Masvidal gets the the title shot against Usman, so he can get smushed.

(That was an amazing knockout tho)
    Ahhh. See I don't know a lot of these guys. I got two close buddies, two brothers, who are hardcore fans so I bounce stuff off them from time to time.  Now I'm caught up on the Conor-Khabib twitter beef.  Jesus that escalated quickly.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That was something else to see live. Jim and I were watching it together, and Jim looked away from the screen for 3 seconds and the fight was literally over. I was heavily rooting against Askren (I don't know enough about Masdival to be for or against him, but Askren's whole attitude after the bullshit win he got last time was enough for me to seethe), and rarely have I felt such a gratified sense of schadenfreude. It was briefly cut with a bit of worry the guy was going to be a vegatable, but holy moly, what an incredible KO. It was all planned, too.  

Honestly, the last two cards (238 and 239) have been really fun to watch. Jim and I are thinking of doing a monthly MMA discussion / round up around the main UFC events. We'd start off woefully under-informed on the state of affairs, but I feel like I'm already catching on quick, and it might be fun.
    cdriveBloodyTacoNoel
    Wow that is incredible!  So he exploited his tendencies.  

Jim and I are thinking of doing a monthly MMA discussion / round up around the main UFC events. We'd start off woefully under-informed on the state of affairs, but I feel like I'm already catching on quick, and it might be fun.
    Do it!!!!!
  • edited July 10
    That was something else to see live. Jim and I were watching it together, and Jim looked away from the screen for 3 seconds and the fight was literally over. I was heavily rooting against Askren (I don't know enough about Masdival to be for or against him, but Askren's whole attitude after the bullshit win he got last time was enough for me to seethe), and rarely have I felt such a gratified sense of schadenfreude. It was briefly cut with a bit of worry the guy was going to be a vegatable, but holy moly, what an incredible KO. It was all planned, too.  

Honestly, the last two cards (238 and 239) have been really fun to watch. Jim and I are thinking of doing a monthly MMA discussion / round up around the main UFC events. We'd start off woefully under-informed on the state of affairs, but I feel like I'm already catching on quick, and it might be fun.
    If you watch any of Ben’s interviews after the fact  he basically admits that he deserved it. He turned me into a fan based on how he’s handling it. If you do decide to an MMA discussion I’d be happy to offer insight! (I watch pretty much every event.)
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Actually feel the same way. Ben is eating the kind of crow that can only be force fed via cuban missle strike, apparently. He could have gone the Rousey route, but he didn't, so at least he's self aware. I can work with self aware people.
    BloodyTaco
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Actually feel the same way. Ben is eating the kind of crow that can only be force fed via cuban missle strike, apparently. 
    You mean he’s smashing Fightmilk!! Cawcaw!!
    A_Ron_Hubbard

If you watch any of Ben’s interviews after the fact  he basically admits that he deserved it. He turned me into a fan based on how he’s handling it. If you do decide to an MMA discussion I’d be happy to offer insight! (I watch pretty much every event.)
    Yeah I saw that same interview I think you did.  @4:30. https://youtu.be/1Pfe9tM0e3w  He complimented him saying that was a damn good flying knee. When I saw that I was like, ok well this guy is actually a good sport.  
    BloodyTaco
  • I would definitely listen to a monthly or event conversation regarding UFC events.  I used to follow it pretty closely, not so much anymore, but I could definitely give a couple buddies a little nudge by ordering a couple events and getting back into it. 
    cdriveBloodyTaco