Discussion for episodes 307 & 308, "The Bite" and "The Battle of Starcourt"

For discussion of the penultimate and finale episodes of Stranger Things 3!

Comments

• Be sure to watch thru the credits of the finale 
    kojiattwoodladylarsenscottf75
  • They should have given Lucas the real line when he starts tossing fireworks:

Naugustine
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    SPOILER...

The singing of The Never Ending Story theme might be my favorite moment of the series.

Naugustinemostlywrightrkcrawfscottf75April_May_June
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    SPOILER...

The singing of The Never Ending Story theme might be my favorite moment of the series.
    Cringiest party of the series for me lol
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    They needed to have the Russian guy say “I’ll be back” at the end. 
    JoshuaHeterkojiattwoodmostlywright
    I posed these to Jim and Aron via email. This might also be interesting here...

Here are two quotes from your Season 2 Wrap Up Podcast.

Aron referencing El and the rest of the group: "I kind of think they have to save her in a very real way next season."

Jim: "Back to the Future *needs* to be a part of next season."

To me, these are prime examples of the Duffers knowing both good, natural story telling, as well as their audience. I'll leave it up to you 2 as to whether you are deserving of any internet points. 

Also, given their track record, it seems like a foregone conclusion that next season will include yet another star of 80s pop culture in some sort of supporting role (since they've done it so many times already).

Which actor would you like to see?

Here are a few possibilities. 

- Emilio Estevez 
    - Anthony Micheal Hall
    - Corey Feldman
    - Molly Ringwald
    - Eddie Murphy 
    - Elisabeth Shue
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I thought this season was great. I love that they didn’t just have El save the day again. I really loved what they did with Billy. 

So, that’s Hopper in the Russian prison, right? 
    johnnytruantJoshuaHeterHatorianladylarsenmajjam0770
  • Dee said:
    I thought this season was great. I love that they didn’t just have El save the day again. I really loved what they did with Billy. 

It's gotta be, right? I've seen people suggest Dr. Brenner, but I just think this show loses too much getting rid of Hopper.
    DeeFalcon
  • I mean the Russians called hopper the American all throughout the season and the guards said no not the American. So it’s got to be him 
    AussieGregHatorian
  • I thought the season was absolutely fantastic. 
    AussieGregDee
  • Lesson for the kids, keep in shape.  If Hopper  kept his Hellboy body and didn't eat all those donuts and drink all that beer he would have been in better shape to dispatch the Russian terminator earlier. 
    kojiattwoodmajjam0770
  • He just needed Billy to call him a lardass
    lengmoAussieGregasmallcatmajjam0770
  • I just do not know if I would rather Hopper to really be dead for the impact or him to be alive for the last season. Him being alive would feel a little cheap but i desperately want him to be so I am conflicted.
    Hatoriankianescmajjam0770
    Official Prediction: Hopper will be a force ghost in season 4.
    kojiattwoodCapeGabe
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Found this season a big improvement over s2.  Great use of period movie tropes, horror and otherwise.  I didn't like how we were following small groups of people who rarely crossed paths but I guess the real age/height of the child actors made it a reasonable choice.
    Here’s a link to (IMO) the best moment in the series for everyone who wants to easily / quickly relive it.

https://youtu.be/agPcPIKY2vQ

The junxtaposition of the glee on the face of Dustin and Suzie vs. the look of confusion and mild disgust of everyone else is amazing,
    AussieGreg
    edited July 6

Also, given their track record, it seems like a foregone conclusion that next season will include yet another star of 80s pop culture in some sort of supporting role (since they've done it so many times already).

- Emilio Estevez 
    - Anthony Micheal Hall
    - Corey Feldman
    - Molly Ringwald
    - Eddie Murphy 
    - Elisabeth Shue
    It seems like I might be the only one interested in this question, but I’m okay with that. Another super strong possibility came to me.

David Hasselhoff.

A. He could probably use the work.
    B. Given his old man rugged handsomeness... he’d make a perfect villain.

Put it on the board.

• Also, given their track record, it seems like a foregone conclusion that next season will include yet another star of 80s pop culture in some sort of supporting role (since they've done it so many times already).

- Emilio Estevez 
    - Anthony Micheal Hall
    - Corey Feldman
    - Molly Ringwald
    - Eddie Murphy 
    - Elisabeth Shue
    It seems like I might be the only one interested in this question, but I’m okay with that. Another super strong possibility came to me.

David Hasselhoff.

A. He could probably use the work.
    B. Given his old man rugged handsomeness... he’d make a perfect villain.

Put it on the board.
    Judd Nelson in the role Sean Astin was originally supposed to play. New partner for Joyce that turns out to actually be a piece of shit (buys cartons of smokes for Will), only to be supplanted by the actually alive Hopper.
    JoshuaHeter
  • - Anthony Micheal Hall
    AMH would be my choice.
    Dee said:
    I am thinking so, too. They didn't kill him on camera. If they wanted his death to show the stakes are real for the main characters, they should have killed him on camera. Since he didn't die on camera, I think that has to be him in the Russian prison.
    DeeJoshuaHeter
  • Spoiler ....

How is the demogorgon alive? At the end of ST 2, they all dropped dead when the gate shut. And when the Joyce closes the gate, the boss creature dies. So how is the demogorgon in Russia alive? 

Or am I missing something?

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    That last episode hit hard. My wife was sobbing during the Hopper note reading scene.

It would be hard to convince me that Hopper isn't alive after that post credit scene, though. Makes sense that he would go through to the other side to where the Russians were trying to break through on another gateway in Russia.

I'm already hyped for the final season, but they better either film that thing now or they're going to have do more than just a year time jump. Those kids have grown up fast when you see them doing interviews today. The actor who plays Lucas is enrolling in college and has a goatee 

JoshuaHeterBrandonTheBardblue_sleeve
  • edited July 6
    Great season. I was also an emotional wreck during the Hopper note reading scene, and I definitely think Hopper is alive & being held captive by the Russians. (How that's possible when everyone else near the gate was obliterated is something they'll hopefully answer in season 4.)

In the season preview podcast, A.Ron and Jim question why the Mindflayer is back in the summer, when we know it doesn't like the heat. Did we get an answer this season? 

Two more random thoughts:
    Here's a nice recap of all the pop-culture references this season: https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/stranger-things-3-pop-culture-references-easter-eggs.html
    Only after my husband & I finished watching the show did we realize that Cary "The Dread Pirate Roberts" Elwes played the sleazy mayor. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Call 618-625-8313

Its Stranger Things season 3 official hotline that acts like Murray Bauman's answering machine recording. 

More hints leaning into Hopper being alive.
    JoshuaHeterLauraRebeccaBrandonTheBardcdriveHatorianladylarsen
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I really loved this season and how it wrapped, but two things bothered me a little.  When you are in the middle of a direly urgent situation and trying to save a live/lives, why take all the time to sing the entire Never Ending Story song?  If it were anyone else, Dustin would have interrupted and frustratingly exclaimed “we don’t have time for this shit!!!”.  I was waiting for Mike or Lucas to do that.  It was cute though.  Also, when Joyce and Hopper each have a hand on the key, ready to disable the mechanism, there was too much time spent with longing looks at each other.  Hopper should have just said “Okay, when I say ‘now’, turn it!” and then 2 or 3 seconds later yelled “now!!!”.  It was like when you’re waiting to hear a host tell everyone which contestant win a contest - “and the winner is ....”<pause 30 seconds for dramatic effect>.  Just do it already!!
    MattyWeavesladylarsenrkcrawf
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    I really enjoyed the whole season and I really loved Billy’s arc. The only thing I was left wondering about was what happened to Els “sister” that we met in season 2? I thought that she might have gotten involved this season, are the Duffer Bros saving her for the final season? 
    blue_sleevemajjam0770
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Ben said:
    The only thing I was left wondering about was what happened to Els “sister” that we met in season 2? I thought that she might have gotten involved this season, are the Duffer Bros saving her for the final season? 
    I'm hoping Joyce moved nearer to Chicago so that plot will play out.
    Ben
  • Im not ashamed to admit I downloaded The Never Ending Story theme to my Spotify playlist and you shouldn’t either :D
    JoshuaHeterMichelleMattyWeavescdriveSantosLHalpermajjam0770
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    If you don't want to download it, just put this up on your closet listening device, a one hour loop of Dusty-Bun and Suzie-Poo singing together...

Ben
  • Winona Ryder kills me every time in that scene. 
  • edited July 8
    This season was amazing.  The first season will always be my favorite, probably because you went in with almost no expectations and had no idea how massive of a hit this show would be.  With that being said season 3 was an extremely close 2nd for me.  I loved the way it got broken up into the different groups of people doing different things. 

My favorite combo going into this season was Dustin/Steve and seeing those 2 together pretty much the entire season was amazing.  Then throw in Robin and the way she played right into the "nerd" side of the group was amazing.  She was an absolute perfect cast and was acted extremely well.  I look forward to seeing Maya Hawke in the future.  Erica was hilarious as well but I absolutely loved what Robin's character brought to the group. 

I thought it was perfect the way it ended too, I didn't want to see Elle just win the day again for everybody and the way that played out was perfect.  Watching Joyce have to turn the key knowing that Hopper was still in there was horrible.  After everything she had been through with Bob last season and now Murray calls them out on their romance just like Nancy and Jonathan and for her to have to do that was awful.  It has to be Hopper that the Russians have in Kamchatka, the only other person it might be is Brenner but the Russians called Hopper "The American" the entire season so it has to be him.  I definitely got choked up during that entire packing up/reading the letter part of the end of the episode but it doesn't take much to get me choked up in movies and TV but that definitely had quite the emotional punch.  

All in all amazing season 3 and although Netflix hasn't announced that it's been renewed for a season 4 you know it's coming.  I always do a binge shortly after the new season comes out and then watch it with a couple friends at a couple episodes each time we get together so I look forward to rewatching it again soon with them.  It's always fun knowing everything that's about to happen and seeing their reactions seeing it for the first time.  Plus I can scan the background of scenes for extra 80s references. 
    Dee