Midsommar (Spoilers!!)

Has anyone seen this yet? I went and saw it yesterday. I was extremely excited for it after seeing Hereditary, so I was sure to be disappointed. However it didn’t meet my expectations, it was by no means a terrible movie. I loved the cinematography and the sheer balls of what it tried to do, I just felt the script was lacking some key dialogue in terms of the main couple, and I really just never felt much for any person except for Dani the whole movie. The effects were amazing as they were in Hereditary, but as a whole movie, I left feeling underwhelmed. I would give it a 3 out of 4 stars, probably more like a 2.5 out of 4 stars by next week.
Kela15

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This movie was a lot. I'm glad I watched it but I'll probably never watch it again. It was really well made and I was invested the whole movie but once the festival really got going I was mostly just along for the ride and barely processing what was happening. The music was great and I know there's a whole story behind it just like there probably is with everything with how densely packed it was with symbols. I do appreciate the mostly realistic use of mushrooms which you don't see very often. If you're going to do drugs, don't do them with a cult I guess.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Yeah I didn't love this in the same way that I loved Hereditary.

My interest peaked with the elderly duo cliff scene, and then it just sort of never ramped up again in my opinion. 

It looked awesome, the location scouting was on point, but it felt overlong and a little bit predictable in the end.
    Kela15
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am really torn on this movie. I adored Hereditary (as much as one can adore that movie, I suppose). This, I was prepped to enjoy as well. And I really did. However, it was overly long, some shots and scenes just lingered longer than I liked or was effective. I also think the cliff scene almost felt like the high point of the movie. It was strangely paced in a way. Which was strange. Hereditary seemed almost perfectly paced. This one was a bit indulgent. However, it was gorgeously and frighteningly shot. There was just a real slump 3/4 of the way through. And it never felt like it picked up any steam after the cliff moment. The last 4 minutes I probably was staring with my jaw on the floor. But it wasn't because I was shocked, more the style of what they were doing was horrifying. It was all pretty obvious, and I am not sure if there was meant to be more under the surface as it all felt like a visceral roller coaster. I found that to be a bit disappointing. There was some good world building though. I really felt like everything was so bizarre (with the body horror and plant stuff) that it would be something a real cult might take as their doctrine. 
    amyja89
    That first scene with the murder suicide is really sticking with me. The imagery of the cars running, the parents sleeping peacefully, and her hunched against the desk with the hose taped to her mouth is one of the most nightmarish things I've ever seen. There's no blood, no axes through the doors or heads being blown apart or limbs anywhere, it's just a girl who didn't want to live anymore and for whatever reason thought her parents would be better off coming with her acting on that impulse using household items everyone has.

Reading about how Ari Aster was writing the script while going through some sort of personal loss, you can really feel it in the way it played out. The concern about the message but couched in the history the sister seeking attention through dramatic gestures felt real. That feeling of it's probably nothing but what if it isn't, followed by realizing it was even worse than you thought and your life is completely changed in an instant is something pretty much everybody goes through at some point of their life and it hit me extremely hard the way they told it. It would have been so easy for that scene to feel cheap or not have any impact beyond "OK the main character is sad now and her boyfriend sucks". This is one of the scenes that was more powerful from the way the movie lingers on what the characters are going through rather than always focusing on the reveal of what's happening plot-wise. The call to her boyfriend screaming as her initial reaction to it was way more effective than a shot of her walking into the house and finding it herself.

I didn't love this movie but I sure haven't been able to stop thinking about it.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited July 9
    I didn't really think about it until after the movie, but when their 'friend' Pelle who brought them there told Dani his parents died in a fire, are we assuming they died as the 2 temple volunteers at some point?

I'm thinking yes, but like I said didn't hit me until about an hour after the movie.

Also, remind me to never take shrooms or LSD, the last 25 minutes of the movie with the entire scene 'breathing' was subtly intense.

• redlancer said:
    I didn't really think about it until after the movie, but when their 'friend' Pelle who brought them there told Dani his parents died in a fire, are we assuming they died as the 2 temple volunteers at some point?

I'm thinking yes, but like I said didn't hit me until about an hour after the movie.

Also, remind me to never take shrooms or LSD, the last 25 minutes of the movie with the entire scene 'breathing' was subtly intense.

I think I remember him saying later in the film that his parents died by accident and didn’t get to have a ceremonial death like the cliff jumpers or the volunteers at the end. 

A few few more days out from the movie and I definitely want to see it again, especially considering I walked in about five minutes after it started and missed the murder suicide. I really didn’t think I would miss much that early in the film, but holy shit, the dream Danni has later in the film with her parents and (what I now know was) her sister makes a whole hell of a lot more sense.
    redlancer said:

I think I remember him saying later in the film that his parents died by accident and didn’t get to have a ceremonial death like the cliff jumpers or the volunteers at the end. 

A few few more days out from the movie and I definitely want to see it again, especially considering I walked in about five minutes after it started and missed the murder suicide. I really didn’t think I would miss much that early in the film, but holy shit, the dream Dani has later in the film with her parents and (what I now know was) her sister makes a whole hell of a lot more sense.

I think you're right, but would need to see it again to see if there are a few extra layers going on.

And yeah, if you missed up to the beginning murder/suicide there is definitely a lot of character build-up to Dani wondering if she's too clingy/needy, and Christian wondering if he wants in or out of this relationship. Both of those threads get instantly derailed by the death of her family, and all those feelings slowly come back to the surface as the movie goes along.

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Posted some more expanded thoughts about the movie on my film blog if anyone wants to take a look.  :)

https://ohthatfilmblog.com/2019/07/10/midsommar-2019/
    awookiee
    amyja89 said:
    Posted some more expanded thoughts about the movie on my film blog if anyone wants to take a look.  :)

https://ohthatfilmblog.com/2019/07/10/midsommar-2019/

Good review, mostly agree. I didn't really feel the length or pacing affected me negatively. I felt kind of like the characters being subjected to the 'midnight sun', I could tell I had been there a while, but couldn't tell if it had been 45 minutes or 4 hours, just that some amount of time had occurred. The last movie I felt that way was Annihilation, where you have a sense of time 'happening' but can't get a sense of time passing. 

Side note, is it me or does the guy who plays Christian in this a dead ringer for a 5-yr younger Chris Pratt? More than once I was thinking if he throws on a red jacket and some space boots it's full-on Starlord out there  :)

amyja89Kela15
    redlancer said:

Side note, is it me or does the guy who plays Christian in this a dead ringer for a 5-yr younger Chris Pratt? More than once I was thinking if he throws on a red jacket and some space boots it's full-on Starlord out there  :)

This was actually really distracting, I thought about this almost every time he was the focus of a shot. That might say more about the movie than his face though
    Kela15
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    redlancer said:

This was actually really distracting, I thought about this almost every time he was the focus of a shot. That might say more about the movie than his face though
    Hmm, I see much more of a facial resemblance to Seth Rogan...
    Walnut Freypodcartfan
  • Brieanne said:
    redlancer said:

Hmm, I see much more of a facial resemblance to Seth Rogan...
    Yes! I thought the same! I like the actor (he was in Sing Street) but his eyes at the end were really scary
  • edited July 18
    As it stands right now, this is currently my favorite movie of year, just edging out Endgame. 

What a maniacally cathartic folk-horror delight. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite like this before, a movie just blown out with color and sun-soaked psychedelia.

Florence Pugh, who looks like the product of a mad science experiment that fused Hayden Panetierre and Chloë Grace Moretz together, is on the verge of becoming a mega star. Much like Collette last year, she will absolutely be overlooked for Oscar consideration, but should be right at the top of the list. 

I went and saw this for a 2nd time last night in an attempt to talk myself down from the rush I had after seeing it last week, and it only just cemented my feelings on it. Having the luxury of picking out the story through all the walls and tapestries in the background was also a lot of fun on a rewatch. 

Ari Aster feels like a filmmaker that I’m going to dig for a very long time.
    cdrive
  • This movie did an amazing job at using oddly angled shots, extreme closeups, and silence to just put you in the film and make you feel uncomfortable.  That shot as they were driving the slowly panned from the back of the car to the top and then upside down in front of the car was extremely odd but absolutely perfect for this movie.  There was a lot I liked about this movie from a film making standpoint.  Whoever earlier called out everything breathing the last part of the movie is spot on.  It wasn't anything overly done but just enough that you're think what the actual fuck.  I don't think I'm as high on the movie as you @RyanReeseman but it's definitely up there on my list of movies for the year.  Might go see it again if I have some spare time but I'm behind on several shows and there's a few movies I want to catch in theaters before they leave so I'm not sure I'll end up having the time. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I saw this personalized face skin on facebook yesterday and I immediately got my Halloween costume idea:
    https://www.facebook.com/VT/posts/3628922653916217

Except I'm just going to use a photo of Will Poulter's face.  I want to do it this Halloween but that would be too spoilery since the movie recently came out and I don't want to be a dick.  But DEFINITELY Halloween 2020 is Will Poulter mask.  If the company that makes these comes back with copyright infringement and says "Hey we can't do this. You're not Will Poulter. Are you trying to say you're Will Poulter?"  I'll just be like "No, what I'm trying to say is people tell me all the time I look exactly like Will Poulter. The photo I sent you is me."  

But yeah, for $18? Gotta have a "Skin the Fool" mask.

Man that movie....I have so much more praise for it than criticism.  I'm not a gore guy, but Ari handles it in a way that is grotesque and very real, but very short.  He doesn't beat you over the head with it, which I appreciate.

And I like the slow burn.  Zero jump scares, the trailer told you right from the get go this was a slow burn / impending doom type of movie.  And the imagery and strangeness....I can't stop thinking about it.  And the final scene was terrifying!  The idea of being 100% cognizant but paralyzed during that scene.  Oof.  Super weird movie.  I like super weird when it freaks you out.  That cult was freaky.  And it just looked fucking cool.  Like Holy Mountain - Alejandro Jodoworsky level of fucking cool-weird with the big yellow temple house and the symmetry in the shots and the fucking head priest dude with weird veil.

I really wanted to get this one watched before Spooktacular.  So now I'm interested what C&A&J thought about it.  

awookieebizmarkiefader
  • The movie that subtly keeps on creeping you out. Saw this pop up the other day on social media, face in the trees at the end of the movie of her dead sister after suicide with the taped on exhaust hose...  

cdrivehisdudeness915
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    You and Zuul called it.

My wife is going as a May Queen, so I ordered these:  

bizmarkiefader