Binoculars mentioned on lunch

Does anyone remember the binoculars A.Ron mentioned at lunch? I would like to buy a pair and I can’t find the lunch they were mentioned in. Thanks!

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Right here: https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-SkyMaster-Binoculars-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B00008Y0VN/

Finding things in the sky is often easier if you know the constellations, and this is the best guide and map I know of. It was written an illustrated by the guy who did the Curious George books, and it turns out he was a damn fine amature astronomer.

These are excellent bioncs for the price, but they are extremely heavy, and benefit greatly from a tripod if you're going to be using them for longer periods (and they come with a nice tripod adapter). You'll get truly excellent views of the moon, many messier objects, Venus (it's phases are easily distinguishable), Mars, Jupiter (and it's four largest moons!), Saturn's rings are just discernible depending on its orbit and how inclined it is towards Earth, and you'll see 10x the stars you can see with your naked eye. Andromeda is really tough to see in the city, but whenever I do manage to make it out, it's a complete jaw dropper. Even in the city, you point these babies to any apparently empty patch of sky and just watch it explode with stars. Orion's sword is breathtaking and very easy to find though he's gone from northern skies until winter (I believe the Aussies have great views of him now). This is almost exactly what Jupiter looks like through my binocs right now, it's fun to watch the moons dance around from night to night... like a miniature solar system. 

Pleiades Star Cluster is really gorgeous, too: 

It's a lot of fun, I always take them camping or when I'm going to a darker sky.
    MattyWeavesjleav382cdriveFlukes
  • Thank you so much for this, it made my day! Not to get too personal but my father has had some serious health issues in the past year (completely get the parent mortality thing you were speaking about) and he and I have always enjoyed looking at the stars together. He even built a small skylight in our house so we could see them in the winter - his birthday is Thursday and this is the perfect gift! I cannot wait to give these a try and finally see a pretty muddy city sky come to life! Thank you again for taking the time out of your busy day to answer this in such detail!!
    cdriveA_Ron_Hubbard
  • I missed this when it was first posted, and didn't hear the lunch discussion either - I'll have to check it out.

I just bought myself a telescope, also from Celestron - the Omni XLT AX 130mm Newtonian reflector model.  I won't have it for a few weeks though, I had it shipped to a friend in Ohio (near Cincinnatti actually, do you know where Lebanon Ohio is @A_Ron_Hubbard?) and we're going to meet up in Buffalo at the end of the month.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 12
    Yahh!  I remember when this was discussed.  I'm glad someone asked and A.Ron coughed up the deets cause I wanted to know too.  My hunting binoculars are kinda meh and I would love to point them upwards on a clear night when at camp.  @Chrissy1125 sorry to hear about your Dad.  Sounds like the perfect gift.  Good family memories sharing the starry skies.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, really any binoculars will give you comparable views, so if you have a nice pair go out and look at stuff. I got the big gun because I didn't have a good pair.  You really don't want magnification higher than 15 for star gazing because they're impossible to hold stead, and 70mm is probably overkill but hey, more light is more light. I'm thinking of getting a pair of 15x or 10x 50mm just to see if I can see more details on Jupiter and Saturn because they look super over-exposed through mine. And the size is more practical for away from home.

@CretanBull, I imagine the outskirts of Lebanon get pretty dark, since it's in between Dayton and Cincinnati. But I've never been there at night.
    cdriveMattyWeavesCretanBullNoel
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Just had to pop in here and say thanks for posting this thread. I've thought about that lunch a handful of times and I always forget to ask or I'm not in a place to post. And I had no idea how to find it.

I've had a couple binoculars sitting on my Amazon wish list but they were $100 and not really in my budget. These seem like exactly what I need.
  • We all need to share the coolest things that we see in the night sky!