Emmy Nominations are in... discuss

Comments

• hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited September 23
    The night is complete for me with PWB taking home the writing Emmy for Fleabag. That was awesome. 
    MichellecdriveElisaTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    The night is complete for me with PWB taking home the writing Emmy for Fleabag. That was awesome. 
    I was just about to post the same - yaaassssss, Phoebe Waller-Bridge!!!
    hisdudeness915ElisaTravis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yyyyyyeah!  Bart Handmouth from Barry! 
    hisdudeness915Michelle
    Not feeling Thomas Lennon's narration. 
    hisdudeness915
    Fleabag & Phoebe Waller-Bridge are cleaning up!  Lead Actress in a Comedy - yeah!
    hisdudeness915Elisa
    JOHAN RENCK!!!! Woooooh!!!!!!!
    Elisa
  • Michelle said:
    Not feeling Thomas Lennon's narration. 
    Same. Not feeling anything about this year’s show from a production standpoint really. 
    Michelle
    Jharrel Jerome! Yes!  I ran around the house and got the dog all excited!   Hell yes!!!!!!!

MichelleElisa
    Ok Bill Hader, Jharrel Jerome, and Chernobyl winning Director and Writer.  Any of my other hopefuls winning tonight is lagniappe.
  • Sooo...Bandersnatch.Deadwood. about that...
  • OpusWho said:
    Sooo...Bandersnatch.Deadwood. about that...
    Biggest “Bullshit!” moment so far. 
    OpusWho
  • Glad to see Julia Garner win. She's the best part Ozark and deserves accolades. 
    ken hale
  • Fucking wow.  Just... wow.
    hisdudeness915
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 23
    Succession wins for writing! As it should! Next year should get some acting recognition for season 2.
    BloodyTaco
  • I think the one I'm most upset about is Miguel Sapochnik not winning best director for a drama series for directing The Long Night. But I'm glad it was Jason Bateman that won it otherwise. Julia Garner definitely deserved that but I really was rooting for Gwendoline Christy for the supporting actress win.
    MichelleGredalBee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Game of Thrones, what a joke.
    CapeGabe
  • JaimieT said:
    How so?  I understand that the writing was particularly bad this season, but every other part of the show was close to a masterpiece in my opinion.  
    rhcoopblue_sleeve
  • awookiee said:
    JaimieT said:
    How so?  I understand that the writing was particularly bad this season, but every other part of the show was close to a masterpiece in my opinion.  

Other than the assassination how was the play Mrs  Lincoln? 

Writing is part of the show, so it was nowhere near the best show.

Directors and actors should have been recognized for what they did to polish those turds of a script. Best show? No way.

hisdudeness915JaimieTgjames80ken hale
  • edited September 23
    awookiee said:
    I think the one I'm most upset about is Miguel Sapochnik not winning best director for a drama series for directing The Long Night. But I'm glad it was Jason Bateman that won it otherwise. Julia Garner definitely deserved that but I really was rooting for Gwendoline Christy for the supporting actress win.
    The Long Night was a muddy, incoherent mess of an episode. Given the amount of disappointment backlash from it I’m surprised it was nominated at all. 

The most shameful nomination of all is those two dipshits nominating themselves for writing and not Bryan Cogman, who wrote the only good episode of the season.
    CapeGabeAshleyhisdudeness915gjames80ken hale
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    awookiee said:
    JaimieT said:

This is how your comment sounds to my ears: "Why not Best Car? I understand the engine wouldn't start, but the paint job was close to a masterpiece."
    gjames80
  • edited September 23
    awookiee said:
    I think the one I'm most upset about is Miguel Sapochnik not winning best director for a drama series for directing The Long Night. But I'm glad it was Jason Bateman that won it otherwise. Julia Garner definitely deserved that but I really was rooting for Gwendoline Christy for the supporting actress win.
    The Long Night was a muddy, incoherent mess of an episode. Given the amount of disappointment backlash from it I’m surprised it was nominated at all. 

The most shameful nomination of all is those two dipshits nominating themselves for writing and not Bryan Coffman, who wrote the only good episode of the season.
    If you are talking about the "hard to see" complaint regarding the episode, I had little to no issues with that.  Remember that award is for "directing" and not editing, all of the visual issues people had would have been mostly with the editing side of it.  I thought the episode was extremely well directed and I think someone else hit the nail on the head when they said Game of Thrones nominated so many things that they cancelled themselves out.

I agree that Bryan Cogman should have been nominated for episode 2 as that was an extremely well done episode. In the end if it wasn't Sapotchnik winning I'm happy it was Bateman.  He's a fantastic actor and I had no idea he even directed any of Ozark.
    rhcoop
  • awookiee said:

If you are talking about the "hard to see" complaint regarding the episode, I had little to no issues with that.  Remember that award is for "directing" and not editing, all of the visual issues people had would have been mostly with the editing side of it.  I thought the episode was extremely well directed and I think someone else hit the nail on the head when they said Game of Thrones nominated so many things that they cancelled themselves out.

I agree that Bryan Cogman should have been nominated for episode 2 as that was an extremely well done episode. In the end if it wasn't Sapotchnik winning I'm happy it was Bateman.  He's a fantastic actor and I had no idea he even directed any of Ozark.
    I’ll give you that me calling it muddy is probably more of a complaint with the effects and editing departments, but the incoherence is all on Sapochnik. On top of the terrible choice to make this such a visually shitty looking episode, I also think it’s just an incredibly poorly directed episode. 

The Arya in the house of horrors sequence is a great bit of tension, but everything else is just complete nonsense.
    JaimieT
  • awookiee said:

I’ll give you that me calling it muddy is probably more of a complaint with the effects and editing departments, but the incoherence is all on Sapochnik. On top of the terrible choice to make this such a visually shitty looking episode, I also think it’s just an incredibly poorly directed episode. 

The Arya in the house of horrors sequence is a great bit of tension, but everything else is just complete nonsense.
    I do think they went a little too much on the close up shots during The Long Night whereas had they pulled the camera back a bit and showed more of the big picture it would have played a lot better than it did.  I think they were going for trying to make the viewer feel like they were there and apart of the action and in doing so caused more confusion and unintelligible scenes.  Part of that is also do to using more of a shaky cam type shot versus a stationary and watching the action unfold.  It did have it's issues but to orchestrate that much chaos and to put me on the edge of my seat for an entire 82 minutes is a feat of it's own.  I don't know how they do awards for musical scores for specific episodes but that episode should have won if something existed.  That musical score during the last quarter of the episode or so was so damn amazing. 
  • The most shameful nomination of all is those two dipshits nominating themselves for writing and not Bryan Cogman, who wrote the only good episode of the season.
    Word.  That's one of the best episodes of the whole show IMO.  
  • Thoughts: I’m kind of inspired to actually finish Ozark now, I’m still not watching fleabag because that’s a dumbass name for a show and I still don’t have a clue what it’s supposed to be about, and the emmy’s are meaningless trash, specifically this time for failing to acknowledge the Deadwood movie. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am still just amazed we even got that Deadwood movie. 
    ken hale
  • It is a treasure.  And I know I'm being unfairly critical of Fleabag, which I'm sure is great.  I suppose it's a failure of marketing that I'm decrying.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ken hale said:
    It is a treasure.  And I know I'm being unfairly critical of Fleabag, which I'm sure is great.  I suppose it's a failure of marketing that I'm decrying.
    I was turned off by the name also. But then I just jumped in and forgot about it. 
    ken hale
  • ken hale said:
    It is a treasure.  And I know I'm being unfairly critical of Fleabag, which I'm sure is great.  I suppose it's a failure of marketing that I'm decrying.
    I was turned off by the name also. But then I just jumped in and forgot about it. 
    I'm not one to typically watch comedy TV shows BUT I think I really need to give Fleabag a chance.
    awookiee said:
    ken hale said:
    I'm not one to typically watch comedy TV shows BUT I think I really need to give Fleabag a chance.
    And I'm especially not one for British comedy TV shows, but after Peanut Butter Jelly swept up all that hardware I'm more inclined to give it a shot.