Netflix Future

Netflix missed it's growth estimates as significant streaming services prepare to launch and with popular properties like the Office and Friends about to leave the service.  How much market share, if any, do you think Netflix is going to lose?  Do they consistently have enough content to make themselves a required streaming subscription for most people?     

Comments

• Fragmentation 2.0. It's gonna kill a bunch of these streaming services, but the big boys like Netflix and Hulu have the inertia and cash/ability to raise cash that they'll probably be fine. CBS, Disney, etc will realize they aren't making enough back on the streams to pay for the shows they are making to be exclusive there because people will pirate rather than pay for 10 different services, everything will end up back on Netflix and Hulu eventually. 

Welcome to the cycle we'll be seeing for the foreseeable future. People subscribe to a couple services cause they have a lot of stuff and are good value, then big creator companies think "why are they getting a cut, I can get it all myself!" completely not understanding why people subscribed in the first place. 
  • My friend said after Stranger things ended he was getting rid of Netflix, and he did. He keeps trying to talk me into doing the same and lately I don't see why not. Not much is drawing me to Netflix currently.
    Elisa
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    asmallcat said:
    Fragmentation 2.0. It's gonna kill a bunch of these streaming services, but the big boys like Netflix and Hulu have the inertia and cash/ability to raise cash that they'll probably be fine. CBS, Disney, etc will realize they aren't making enough back on the streams to pay for the shows they are making to be exclusive there because people will pirate rather than pay for 10 different services, everything will end up back on Netflix and Hulu eventually. 

Welcome to the cycle we'll be seeing for the foreseeable future. People subscribe to a couple services cause they have a lot of stuff and are good value, then big creator companies think "why are they getting a cut, I can get it all myself!" completely not understanding why people subscribed in the first place. 
    I think there is zero chance that the Disney streaming service will not thrive once it is launched.  There is just so much content for people with kids and the MCU content will keep them printing money for a long time.  I'm not super interested in it other than the Mandalorian, but it will be a big player once it launches.

The HBO max will probably be the same.  

Disney owns Hulu so they may keep it around for a while, but its on the endangered species list now IMO.

Elisa
  • BroRad33 said:
    My friend said after Stranger things ended he was getting rid of Netflix, and he did. He keeps trying to talk me into doing the same and lately I don't see why not. Not much is drawing me to Netflix currently.
    In all honesty it's the smart thing to do unless there's something specific on Netflix that you want to watch.  Why pay for it year round when they give you the option to pay monthly and there's no negatives to dropping it for a month or two and then picking it back up?  I would 100% do the same thing but my parents use my account and my dad loves to just find random completely garbage shows to watch.  I've gone onto his account and seen the previously watched/in progress and recommended and it looks absolutely awful.  But to each their own regarding what they want to spend their time watching. 
    ElisaBroRad33hisdudeness915
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    awookiee said:
    BroRad33 said:
    My friend said after Stranger things ended he was getting rid of Netflix, and he did. He keeps trying to talk me into doing the same and lately I don't see why not. Not much is drawing me to Netflix currently.
    In all honesty it's the smart thing to do unless there's something specific on Netflix that you want to watch.  Why pay for it year round when they give you the option to pay monthly and there's no negatives to dropping it for a month or two and then picking it back up?  I would 100% do the same thing but my parents use my account and my dad loves to just find random completely garbage shows to watch.  I've gone onto his account and seen the previously watched/in progress and recommended and it looks absolutely awful.  But to each their own regarding what they want to spend their time watching. 
    That's my plan for Disney+  I'm going to get it when the Mandalorian is all out and then I'll drop it until something else I'm interested in comes around.  I am not particularly interested in their projected MCU shows so it may be a while before I'm back on board.
    awookiee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I wanted to drop Netflix too but my two sons stopped me. They offered to cover hbo so we we are good.

The quality is just not there on a consistent basis. Hbo, f/x, amazon prime are kicking up a notch and that’s what I am watching. 
    awookiee
  • Glow, The Dark Crystal, and the Witcher are the only things keeping me hanging on, if all 3 aren't goodish, im probably out. Especially The Witcher.
    Elisaalexander.klassen
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Right now I’m looking foward to money Heist aka la Casa Del papel part 3. But I agree the only shows that resonate with me this year from Netflix are Dark S2 and The OA S2.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I’m not sure exactly when the line was crossed, but Netflix has TOO many choices. I don’t have the time or energy to sort through the crap to find the gem. So unless I get a recommendation from Bald Move, HBO or Prime get my attention. 
    Elisahisdudeness915
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just wanted to let bald move crew to know that fresh prince is joint owned by Nbc universal and warner Bros and friends is owned by Warner Bros.  That’s why they are going to hbo Max. 
  • Elisa said:
    Just wanted to let bald move crew to know that fresh prince is joint owned by Nbc universal and warner Bros and friends is owned by Warner Bros.  That’s why they are going to hbo Max. 

Yup TV production and licensing is pretty convoluted. WB has produced a ton of shows that aired on various networks over the years. Their back-catalog is going to be extensive.
    Elisa