Favorite Cities

TravisTravis CA
edited May 2015 in General

I'm in this sort of "Top 5" group in Facebook where a topic is posed twice a week (generally but not exclusively related to music, movies or TV) and people list their top 5s and some honorable mentions and today's topic is favorite US cities, though since this is an international board I figured I would open it up to anywhere. Anyways, the topic has sparked some good conversation so I figured I would try it out here. It doesn't matter if it's based on travel or having lived there and can be qualified however you like. So, what say you? What are your top 5 cities?

Mine:

• Portland, OR
  • New York, NY
  • Seattle, WA
  • Hanalei, HI
  • Solvang, CA

Honorable mentions: San Diego, CA, Ventura, CA, Weaverville, CA, Portland, ME, Boston, MA, Austin, TX

Frakkin T

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    1. Boston
    2. Boston
    3. Boston
    4. Lahaina HI

Masshole thru and thru :)
    Travissteph_bTaraC73
    I was gonna put Boston for my #5 but I felt that would be a bit much.
    TravispavlovsbellTaraC73
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Frakkin T  My dad is from Boston (well, a suburb, more accurately), and I used to spend the summers there, so I have a special affection for Boston and Cambridge.
    TravisFrakkin T
  • My wife and I did a week in Boston and had a blast. Fenway lived up to the billing, great food, the look and feel and the history of the city, it was all quite awesome.

Which island is Lahaina on? I feel like I may have passed through it at some point, but I'm not sure.

• UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    1. Philadelphia 
    2. New York
    3. Vancouver
    4. Nashville
    5. Pittsburgh
    Travis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    • New York, NY  (all five boroughs)
    • New Orleans, LA
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Savannah, GA
    • Washington, D.C.
    Travis
  • I'm just gonna stick to North America:

1. San Diego
    2. New York
    3. Savannah
    4. Vancouver
    5. Seattle

Boston, Chicago and Denver are great cities too. 
    Travis
  • @Underwood Vancouver has been on my list for a very long time. I hear it's really great.

@pavlovsbell DC is one of the two next spots that my wife and I talk about the most (Chicago being the other). She went there when she was younger and really, really wants me to see it. Sounds very cool.

Underwood
  • @Travis If you go to DC I'd highly recommend you check out The Dupont Circle Hotel. It's a great little boutique hotel at Dupont Circle (duh). I travel a lot for work and have been to a lot of hotels and it's still one of my favorite hotels I've stayed at. You can probably spend a week in DC just seeing the free Smithsonian and still not see it all; I'd designate at least half a day to Uber or whatever out to to the Udvar-Hazy Center. It's not in DC, it's out by Dulles Airport because it has all the big cool stuff like an SR-71 and the Discovery space shuttle. 

For Chicago check out the W Lakeshore if you want nice fancy views of Lake Michigan and a short walk to the Navy Pier. Or if you wanna be closer to the Loop check out Hotel Monaco.
    Travis
  • @ghm3 Thanks! I really appreciate the advice. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind when we make it happen. The Udvar-Hazy Center sounds like a lot of fun, and hotel advice is always very helpful when you have no basis for where the hell you are. We've been really lucky in that respect in our travels (maybe except for staying in Austin where we were a little further out of the thick of it than would have been optimal), but it's always great to have been pointed in the right direction. Thanks!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't travel, so I don't think I've even been to 5 cities. My favourite is Melbourne and I currently live in Adelaide so I guess that's my second favourite. The only other two I've been to are Sydney and Brisbane, both of which I hated.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Sydney - my second home. Just an awesome place to work and live. Weather is great and work/life balance is amazing. Plus it's a beautiful city.
    Chicago - greatest city on the planet with the best sports and best food
    Tokyo - just a mammoth city with so much to do and enjoy. Plus it has an amazing train system that links it up to some of the coolest local cities
    Hong Kong - Crazy ass mix of western and Chinese culture and lots of partying and fun
    Amsterdam - um yea. Not hard to figure it out

Runner ups: London, Hoi An, Miami

Some cities I really want to visit: Berlin, Athens, Rome, Prague, Shanghai, Rio Di Jeniro, Copenhagen
    Travis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Boston
    San Diego
    NYC
    Toronto
    North Conway, NH

Travis
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Travis said:

@Underwood Vancouver has been on my list for a very long time. I hear it's really great.

@pavlovsbell DC is one of the two next spots that my wife and I talk
    about the most (Chicago being the other). She went there when she was younger and really, really wants me to see it. Sounds very cool.

It really is a fantastic City. I was only there for a short time two summers ago, but my family and I just fell in love with it. Absolutely recommend visiting.
    Travis
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I grew up in Southern CA, but have been to more cities outside the US than in it. However, I am not going to list alll of them, just the ones that stayed with me years after leaving them.

But in America, my favorite is - San Francisco. Beautiful, beautiful town. Very clean, tons of things to do and see. Great restaurants, city walks, neighborhoods. And very close to a lot of beautiful nature. 

London - Not everyone is going to love London, you have to be particular kind of person. But if you like history, and theater and rain and tea, and art, and rain and pubs :)  You will love it. Lots of great memories made here, hope to return one day, and definitely the sort of city I could live in very easily. 

Paris - My favorite city. Ever. It sounds cliche, but there is no other city in this world like it. No one will ever say it better than Heminhway..."a moveable feast."
    TravisFlashGordon
    Travis said:

Which island is Lahaina on? I feel like I may have passed through it at some point, but I'm not sure.

Lahaina is in West Maui.It's a beautiful little town with a banyan tree literally the size of a park right next to the water. 
    Travis
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Dallas, TX
    New York City, NY
    Chicago, IL
    San Diego, CA
    Heilsbronn, Germany
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Chicago
    Seattle
    Indianapolis
    Austin
    Quebec

I've never been to Portland, so it might bump one if I ever did.  Chicago is my favorite city.  I feel like NYC is too damn big, and Indy is too small to pull off effective mass transit that is the hallmark of any great city, so Chicago is in the goldilock's zone.  If only the winters weren't so damn brutal.

HatorianTravis
  • In no particular order:

Toronto
    New Orleans
    Austin
    Madrid
    Vienna

Honorable mentions: London, Park City, Louisville, New York, Burlington VT
  • @hypergenesb you and @Hatorian have quite the resume of international cities that I really want to get to. I'm pretty jealous.

Also, I really wanted to check out Burlington when I was back east, but we had too many miles to cover and opted for Montpelier for our VT stop. I hear great things. No regrets, Montpelier was great but Burlington sounded very nice from what I had read.

Side note: Discovery from VT, maple rum is delightful (particularly with a cigar and a campfire).

hypergenesbHatorianTaraC73
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 2015
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Portland is great! I fell so in love with it after the first time that I went that I almost picked up and moved there. I ended up taking a road trip by myself up there for a week or so to scout the adjacent towns and really the only thing that stopped me was that it ended up being a little lonelier than I had imagined being on my own to that extent so I chickened out, but it is such an amazing town. Perfect combo of city/town dynamic and its super pretty (all of the Pacific Northwest that I have seen is). I love it up there. Also, it will always be dear to me as the place where I first discovered gorgonzola fries. Holy goddamn!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2015
    I just realized that with all the traveling I've done, I don't think I've ever been to a major city I fell in love with. Amsterdam, London, Dublin, Edinburgh, Geneva, and in America: Austin, Las Vegas, Savannah, Denver, San Antonio, and Houston; and of all those I've had the most fun in Houston (and by no means love it; although it is underrated). Didn't spend near enough time in Savannah, but it is definitely one of the most beautiful American cities I've been to. Amsterdam was overrated (as well as Austin in terms of American cities), and the UK plus Ireland as a whole is amazing, but that's because of places outside of the cities. Liked Denver well enough, but I was there visiting friends and they hadn't quite settled in yet, so I can't form a real opinion. Come to think of it, same goes for a lot of cities I've been to.
    Travis
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited May 2015
    I thought this was just U.S cities so wasn't going to chip in as i've only ever been to Disney World as a kid, So Orlando?

If we can go international...

1)Rome - The best food, wine & history 
    2) Not a city but a county, Yorkshire also known as God's own country - it's got York & Leeds where I live, other great cities+ the Moors and Dales national parks.
    3)Barcelona- Got a lot of love for Catalonia 
    4)Amsterdam - Dutch people are great, nothing better than riding a bike around that place, hitting the Rijksmuseum and then the Bimhuis perhaps taking time for a smoke.
    5)London amazing, for museums best being BM & NHM, music, theatre ,history, food and just generally cool stuff going on, although I would hate to live there, relying on the tube over rush hour is basically hell on earth.
    Travis
    I'm sure no one really cares but,  someone sent me this buzzfeed today and i guess it encapsulates what i was trying to purvey in terms of my love for Yorkshire http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/nowt-like-it#.ldzGK0G8j  so yeh that's top of my list, not in the US, not a City  but still
    TravisTaraC73
  • edited May 2015
    @Travis, @ghm3 and @A_Ron_Hubbard, I will be in Seattle for 3 days next week. Any strong recommendations for a must-do?

1. Accra, Ghana
    2. New Orleans
    3. Nashville
    4. DC
    5. Tbd...

Haven't travelled abroad much, but New Orleans is basically a third world country and I lived there several years. Love Boston pizza. Dislike NYC every time, every borough! Austin is awesome but my experience is limited. It's the only decent city in Texas.
    Travis
  • @FlashGordon I honestly feel like running home and packing. Man, Yorkshire looks amazing!
    FlashGordonJayInMemphis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 2015

@NikkiP Truth be told, we just kind of wandered around the city for around a week and had a blast. Nothing so specific. If you're a baseball fan, Safeco is probably my favorite stadium of the handful that I've visited. It's a really nice park. The fish market is fun. The Experience Music Project is a fun little museum if you're into music and sci-fi, and apparently they have an exhibit going called "Star Wars and the Power of Costume." That sounds awfully fun. Really though, my favorite part of the city is just the city itself. Great vibe, great people, beautiful city. Also, if I could go back I would take a look for an appealing concert at one of the smaller venues. I didn't get the chance, but a buddy of mine used to live near there and I've heard good things about seeing live music in Seattle.

http://empmuseum.org/   

EDIT: About the baseball park thing, I forgot about Fenway. Safeco is my second favorite ballpark of the 6 that I've visited.

NikkiP
  • @NikkiP Chihuly Garden and Glass is really cool. Pike Place Market is a nice place to stroll through and see the busy market and fish being unloaded and stuff, and the original Starbucks is there too (though not technically the original building/location, it burned down or something). If you like coffee buy a pack or three of the special reserve there, it's really good, exclusively sold at that location, and actually decently priced too. The Seattle Public Library is really interesting, its odd architecture makes for a nice meandering up to the top floor where there's a neat little rare books section. If it's a nice day and you can make it ~5 miles out of downtown, Washington Park Arboretum is really nice.
    TravisNikkiP
    edited May 2015
    @Travis Cheers man, if you ever make it over I'll buy you pint of Old P Yorkshire's finest 
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 2015

@FlashGordon Thanks! I hope to take you up on that someday. Looks delicious and sounds awesome.

@NikkiP I forgot, it's pretty tourist-y but very cool. If you're into history the underground city tour is pretty cool. Basically, Seattle was rebuilt more or less on top of itself after a big fire. I know those sorts of tours aren't everyone's bag, but my wife and I enjoy stuff like that and it was pretty cool.

NikkiPFlashGordonShum