Strange Amazon Delivery

I just had the strangest experience in receiving a package from amazon.

About a month ago I ordered a Philips Hue Smart light bulb set. I received it, everything was in the box, I set it up, I can make my room purple, works great

Flash forward to tonight. I open my front door and see a package by the gate— it’s another Philips Hue Smart bulb set! It’s been on my wishlist and have told a few people about my wish list because my bday was a few weeks ago. So when I see it, I’m pretty stoked. I bring it inside, open it up, and there aren’t any bulbs— it looks like they were stolen and just the plastic protective packaging is in there. 

I check my bank account and amazon account— nothing charged, nothing ordered. I asked the few people I told about my wishlist— no one bought them for me— thanks, ya pricks. I check with amazon and give them the tracking number on the box and they said it was ordered and delivered June 9th. Wtf? How was it on my front porch? Then I remember, I saved the box from my order last month and had the old bulbs that I had replaced with the new ones in that box. Go in the garage, and it’s there. I have two identical boxes. Amazon didn’t have an answer for me. So either someone sent me a gift and it was stolen, or there was some weird glitch and amazon sent me another one and someone stole it, or there was a glitch and they sent me a box with just the packaging. 

Im trippin 
HatorianMurderbearCecilyFlukesNoelStackpile

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Pretty crazy. Have no idea what happened to your situation but I love Amazon when it comes to re-sending or refunded money. I think they must have some policy where they support the customer in anyway 

For Christmas I bought a $300 telescope but it came from a third party on Amazon. When we opened it up it didn’t come with instructions. So I emailed and called and asked for them to send instructions. Got no response. So I call Amazon customer service for the first time and they say you can return it for a refund. Now shipping for a big ass telescope half way across the world cost like $100. I told them there’s no way. We argued and it ended with me being stuck. So I call back 5 minutes later and get another customer service rep and they refund my money instantly. i then took a few hours and found out how to assemble the telescope myself. And no it wasn’t online...so basically I got a free $300 telescope because it didn’t come with instructions. And no I wasn’t trying to be shady. I just wanted the instructions or them to pay for the international return. They did neither and just refunded my money. 
    gguenot
  • While we're sharing Amazon stories...

I ordered some new pickups for my guitar.  When they showed up the packaging was scuffed up and the plastic case that holds the pickups in place was cracked - not a big deal because once the pickups were installed I would have thrown the plastic case out anyway.  When I first opened the case up, I didn't take it all apart (there are 3 pickups and they're held in place by foam) - I just gave it a quick inspection and it looked good to me.  A couple of days later, I took my guitar to a local place to have the pickups installed.  When I got to the store, I opened the pickup case with the store's tech and it was immediately obvious that the pickups in the case weren't the right ones at all - they were very obviously used.  I think someone bought new pickups, put their old used ones back in the case, returned them to Amazon and then Amazon sold them to me.  Luckily, they didn't hassle me about the return...but they obviously aren't screening their returns very well.  Here are some picks:

In the second pic, you can clearly see that the wires have been cut...especially on the pickup with the yellow wire, the black wire on the same pickup is supposed to be about the same length.  It's not as visible in the pic, but the white wires are visibly dirty, they've got some grime on them and a sticky residue of what might be glue or where tape used to be.
    Hatorian
    Very common practice by scammers. They order on amazon, take out the new shit or whatever they got and replace it. 

Then when returned it doesnt doesn’t go through any quality assurance and it most likely gets a discount so it can be sold quickly and you end up with a scam. 

Amazon knows its a problem but Bezos isn’t the richest person in the world without a reason. It’s just cheaper to do things that way. Imagine having to check every returned package...
    CretanBull
    I heard they just weigh the package and if it weighs the same it goes back into inventory and sold again. Not sure how true that is. 

Theres a great video out there of some engineer who kept having his packages stolen from his doorstep so he built this elaborate device that exploded with glitter and fart scent when it was opened. 
  • Hatorian said:
    I heard they just weigh the package and if it weighs the same it goes back into inventory and sold again. Not sure how true that is. 

Theres a great video out there of some engineer who kept having his packages stolen from his doorstep so he built this elaborate device that exploded with glitter and fart scent when it was opened. 
    I saw that vid. All of the thieves look so offended and put out that they had a mess in their car or home. So funny 
    Hatorian
    gguenot said:
    Hatorian said:

I saw that vid. All of the thieves look so offended and put out that they had a mess in their car or home. So funny 
    The crazy thing is he used like 4 smartphones to make it work and allow him to track it. The thieves didn’t even look in the box after the explosion but if they did they would have got 4 free phones 
    gguenot
  • The fart spray was so they immediately try to discard it lol
    Hatorian
  • I received strange a package from Amazon before. It was a breast milk pump. I chatted with them and there was no order by me. Turns out it is very common for people who review items for a living send them to other Amazon customers because they don't have room for the thousands of merchandise they review.  Amazon said I should keep it. I said thanks. I'm sure a single man has tons of uses for a breast milk pump.
    CretanBullgguenotFlukesNoelalexander.klassen
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited July 19
    This isn't an Amazon story, but @CretanBull 's guitar pickups reminded me of my neighbour. 

They have an uncovered patio in their backyard that's essentially just a wooden platform with some indoor/outdoor carpet stapled on it. He bought one of those portable 10x10' sun shades instead of building a proper gazebo. They're renting the house, so I get it - I probably wouldn't invest the time and energy to build something I couldn't take with me.

The thing is, it gets pretty windy in southern Alberta during summer. I can't leave patio umbrella open on my deck without it eventually being destroyed. One of my Dad Peeves is when my wife or kids leave it open. I'm tired of buying umbrellas! But, when one does get destroyed, I go get a new one and complain to the family about it for a week or two.

My neighbour leaves this sun shade up 100% of the time - all year round. It gets ravaged by the elements - especially the wind - and ends up just a broken metal-tubing skeleton with tattered nylon hanging off it. Eventually it gets replaced because a special event comes along, guests are coming over, and they need the space for entertaining. I always just shake my head and think "there's another bill down the drain - at least umbrellas are cheap."  I've seen at least half a dozen of these things destroyed this way.

Last summer I was talking to the dude over drinks outside and he gestures to yet another destroyed sun shade and says "guess it's time to go get a new one" and I ask him how much he figures he's spent on those over the years. He tells me he hasn't spent a dime on them in five years. When one gets destroyed he goes to Walmart, buys another one, stuffs the broken one in the box and returns it. 

He doesn't think there's anything wrong with this - in fact he's proud of it. He figures Walmart is a big company and they expect some fraud so no one is hurt.  I think it shows he's a duplicitous fuck. If I did something like that I sure as hell wouldn't be bragging about it. 

Of course, I felt so bad about a $300 shower stall a Home Depot employee didn't scan that I went back to the store to pay for it when I was reconciling my CC and noticed. Maybe I'm just a chump.

majjam0770CretanBullalexander.klassen
  • Flukes said:

Of course, I felt so bad about a $300 shower stall a Home Depot employee didn't scan that I went back to the store to pay for it when I was reconciling my CC and noticed. Maybe I'm just a chump.

I would never do the shit your neighbor is doing, but I also would never go back and pay for something at home depot because they forgot to charge me. A mom and pop place? Of course I go back. But home depot treats their employees like shit, engages in rampant anti-union behavior, and is run by a complete douche. 
    gguenot
    asmallcat said:
    Flukes said:

I would never do the shit your neighbor is doing, but I also would never go back and pay for something at home depot because they forgot to charge me. A mom and pop place? Of course I go back. But home depot treats their employees like shit, engages in rampant anti-union behavior, and is run by a complete douche. 
    I get what you're saying and you won't get any judgement from me. It was a tough decision - I'm not a saint by any means and $300 isn't nothing for our family. I'm also not some kind of moral absolutist that thinks the circumstances don't matter. I just feel better when I treat people as equally as I can and I'm trying to set a good example for my kids. If I was comfortable enough with Home Depot's business practices to shop there, I (personally - again this is just my standard for myself) don't feel like I can use those same business practices to justify treating them differently than I would another business.
  • Flukes said:
    asmallcat said:
    Flukes said:

I get what you're saying and you won't get any judgement from me. It was a tough decision - I'm not a saint by any means and $300 isn't nothing for our family. I'm also not some kind of moral absolutist that thinks the circumstances don't matter. I just feel better when I treat people as equally as I can and I'm trying to set a good example for my kids. If I was comfortable enough with Home Depot's business practices to shop there, I (personally - again this is just my standard for myself) don't feel like I can use those same business practices to justify treating them differently than I would another business.
    Oh, you're probably right, and probably a better person than me lol. Just saying what I would do. I generally don't shop at Home Depot anymore (there's a true value just as close), but there's not a close place to get yard supplies other than home depot so I have to go occasionally (or order from Amazon, which isn't really any better). 
    Flukes
  • Flukes said:

I'm not sharing this to brag about what a good guy I am, just to point out that being honest can have a huge impact.

A few years ago I went to dinner at a fancy place with some friends we all had great meals and drank lots of champagne.  The dinner was for my girlfriend's 40th birthday so it was on me and I wasn't at all keeping track of who was buying what.  At the end of the night, our bill came to $800 and that was about what I was expecting the night to cost me (before we went out, I had a rough estimate that the night would cost about $1000).  At the end of the night, we had a bottle of champagne that cost $175, a friend of mine loved it and asked me to make a note of what it was called (which I forgot to do!).  The next day she called me and asked me what the name of the champagne was and told her that I forgot to write it down, but thought that it might be listed on our bill.  When I went over the bill, I realized that we hadn't been charged for it.

I ended up going back to the restaurant and explaining what happened.  The girl that I spoke to told me that our server didn't realize that she'd left it off our bill until after we'd left...their boss made the girl pay for it.  She was devasted by that, to a young person (probably) making minimum wage an unexpected $175 bill was a huge burden.  
    Flukesmajjam0770Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull I do stuff like that too, because even though it’s a dick move, lots of employers make their staff pay out of pocket for errors like that. You’re not getting one over on some fat cat when that happens, you’re costing some (usually young) person money. 
    CretanBullFlukes
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Flukes said:

I'm not sharing this to brag about what a good guy I am, just to point out that being honest can have a huge impact.

A few years ago I went to dinner at a fancy place with some friends we all had great meals and drank lots of champagne.  The dinner was for my girlfriend's 40th birthday so it was on me and I wasn't at all keeping track of who was buying what.  At the end of the night, our bill came to $800 and that was about what I was expecting the night to cost me (before we went out, I had a rough estimate that the night would cost about $1000).  At the end of the night, we had a bottle of champagne that cost $175, a friend of mine loved it and asked me to make a note of what it was called (which I forgot to do!).  The next day she called me and asked me what the name of the champagne was and told her that I forgot to write it down, but thought that it might be listed on our bill.  When I went over the bill, I realized that we hadn't been charged for it.

I ended up going back to the restaurant and explaining what happened.  The girl that I spoke to told me that our server didn't realize that she'd left it off our bill until after we'd left...their boss made the girl pay for it.  She was devasted by that, to a young person (probably) making minimum wage an unexpected $175 bill was a huge burden.  
    You did the right thing, but don't feel too bad about servers' financial woes. I give them full credit for how hard a job it is, but most of them do quite well financially, and she definitely isn't making minimum wage. I don't know how many servers you had, but the tip alone would have been more than a minimum wage job pays in a day. It's also not unreasonable that she had to pay for the bottle as it was her mistake, as long as she had to pay what the restaurant pays not what you would have paid. It is unreasonable when they make the servers pay for the dine and dashers.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 20
    Hunkulese said:
    Flukes said:

You did the right thing, but don't feel too bad about servers' financial woes. I give them full credit for how hard a job it is, but most of them do quite well financially, and she definitely isn't making minimum wage. I don't know how many servers you had, but the tip alone would have been more than a minimum wage job pays in a day. It's also not unreasonable that she had to pay for the bottle as it was her mistake, as long as she had to pay what the restaurant pays not what you would have paid. It is unreasonable when they make the servers pay for the dine and dashers.
    I don't know the details of the server's life, but the other girl who I spoke to told me that she was 'devastated' and crying.  However much she makes, she felt it more than the table full of lawyers that I'd had dinner with the night before.  The mistake was hers, but had I not been drinking, or had I been with just my girlfriend I likely would have caught the mistake in the moment when our bill arrived.  It was only because there was a party of us there and I had no idea who ate/drank what...I didn't even attempt to go over the bill, I just paid it.
    I Guess the question is did you end up paying for the champagne when you came back?
  • Hatorian said:
    I Guess the question is did you end up paying for the champagne when you came back?
    Yes...that's the whole reason why I went back, I realized that it wasn't on our bill and wanted to pay for it :)
    Hatorian
  • Ahh man. I bet he could have baited some real ones if he was more patient
    That’s lame but he probably didn’t want to lose the tech...
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i've never ordered anything from Amazon. heck, i don't even have an Amazon account haha.
    gguenot
    Chinaski said:
    i've never ordered anything from Amazon. heck, i don't even have an Amazon account haha.
    Which will make it doubly strange when your breast pump arrives.
    Teresa from ConcordChinaskiHatorianFreddy