Dan Carlin HH Blueprint for Armegeddon VI

I noticed this morning that my podcast app has the latest episode, but it hasn't been updated on his site yet.  Four hours and sixteen minutes long!! WHOOO!
steph_bHatorianFlashGordon

Comments

• Just started it...about an hour in. Great as always. Starting to get into the geo-political effects and repercussions of the war which is fascinating and so many of which are still affecting us.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited May 2015
     as a student of war with a masters in military history this is by far the best history podcast ever. i am going to lose my mind when he finally gets to WW2. 
    The_Third_Mansteph_brealityzealot
  • Hatorian said:

as a student of war with a masters in military history this is by far the best history podcast ever. i am going to lose my mind when he finally gets to WW2. 

DC did 20 hours or so on WWI...cannot fathom the amount of time he COULD spend on WWII if he so chooses. Just so many tributaries and various threads to explore.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2015

I noticed this morning that my podcast app has the latest episode, but it hasn't been updated on his site yet.  Four hours and sixteen minutes long!! WHOOO!

For real, and the audacity of the man to say "sign up to Audible for a free audio book" at the beginning.
    @The_Third_Man

Mate. its gonna be epic. 
    The_Third_ManFlashGordon
  • I've made it about 2 hours in. I love new HH-Day! For anyone that has not yet listened, Dan Carlin's Organization of Peace and Scars of the Great War are some early works covering this content,
    Elisamanhattnik
  • I know DC doesn't love Keegan, but I am about 1/2 through his book on WWI and I highly recommend it. Find myself just shaking my head in disbelief constantly at the depravity that was endured. 
    I love Keegan's books. Also recommend Max Hastings. Probably my 2 favorite authors on military history. 
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    Thankyou A.ron! this didnt update in my rss feed, I've just started it ,real excited.

I rate Hastings and Keegan too, Niall Ferguson has some interesting work on the 20thC as well
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Fascinating hearing about how the Middle East was fucked up by WWI.  I knew a lot of this from being a TE Lawrence fan, but had no idea how much it was about oil, even 100 years ago.  Even the term "Middle East" is a direct result of the influence of colonialism on the region.
  • Aren't enough hours in the day for podcasts, I'm going to have to quit sleeping.
    Hatorian
    I had no clue about Rasputin; literally only knew his name. Watching a made for tv HBO movie about him right now. It's definitely pre-golden age HBO, but solid nonetheless. Alan Rickman plays Rasputin and Ian McKellen plays Tsar Nicholas II.
  • Hatorian said:

@Hatorian He already did a series on WW2 with Ghosts of the Ostfront. He may very well get back to it again at some point to cover a different angle but frankly I'd prefer that he did something that doesn't get nearly as much coverage or exposure, at least in the US, such as the French Revolution or the feudal Japanese samurai period or something.
    Michael
    edited May 2015
    @ghm3

I am just assuming by the way his podcasts are going that WW2 will be the sequel to Blueprint for Armageddon. My guess is it will be titled Armageddon. But I may be wrong. 

Also it appears Ostfront is Eastern Europe Theatre exclusively. I may be wrong as I haven't listened to that particular audio. 

I also doubt he, who is trying to monetize this, will forgo a deep dive into World War 2 for Samurai or the French Revolution. Don't get me wrong I would surely listen and enjoy but I don't feel he would get as much listener-ship. If I was to make a bet it would be that after Blueprint were getting Armageddon. 
    edited May 2015
    @ghm3 Mike Duncan is doing a great series on the French Revolution right now if you don't already follow him. Feudal Japan also gets my vote.

@Hatorian I would love to hear him tackle more WW2, I think he would have to divide the Pacific & Atlantic theatres though, but man you've gotta listen the Ghosts of the Ostfront, its so good and despite it obviously not covering stuff like Normandy & Bastogne, the story of Eastern Front is equally interesting and significantly more brutal & bloody, so yeh basically Armageddon.

@FlashGordon

I plan on purchasing them after I get through all the free stuff I have of DC. I agree the Eastern Front is amazing to learn about.The largest tank battle ever at Kursk. The crazy successful encirclements and tactics of the German army in Operation Barbossa prior to bogging down in Stalingrad at just outside of Moscow. Great stuff to learn about. 
  • @Hatorian I have to disagree. I started listening to DCHH in 2008 and a big part of what I liked so much about it was his coverage of topics that don't get that much exposure today, such as the first series he did, Punic Nightmares. If he were covering stuff like WW2 and the American Civil War (bleh) I would not have been nearly as interested. 

He's also never been huge about monetization. Obviously he wants to get something for his enormous efforts but you don't release podcasts every 3-4 months if you're that into monetization. And as his listener base has increased enormously since I've started listening, there's been almost no change in commercials/sponsorship, but the amount of content has increased significantly (his podcasts used to be 45-90 minutes every ~2 1/2 months, lately it's more like ~4h every 3-4). He usually just mentions Audible in the beginning and end and that's it. Almost any other popular podcast easily has 5-10 minutes of sponsor crap every episode. 

And yes, the Ostfront series is exclusively about the eastern front, which I liked very much and is kind of the point I was making. When he went to cover WW2 he chose the theater with the least western exposure.

Regardless you may very well be right about this being a pre-series into a WW2 European/Pacific theater coverage, but even if that's so I doubt that it will be next, he'll probably have a standalone episode or two first, he's never gone from one series directly into another. The only real problem I have with the idea isn't the coverage at all, just that it would probably take nearly three years for him to thoroughly cover it.

@FlashGordon Yeah thanks I'm subscribed to the Revolutions podcast too, came across his History of Rome podcast a while back. He has a ton of information in his podcasts, but it's very rote and kinda dry, what I've always loved about DCHH is his humanization and coverage of personal accounts, it makes everything far more interesting to me.
    edited May 2015
    @ghm3 Yeh it's a much dryer style than Carlin, but I like them both for what they are.

I agree with the sentiment, I wouldn't want him to just cover the popular topics but I think he strikes pretty good balance with it as is , like most people know who Genghis Khan is, but not have heard of the golden hoarde, they know the basic story of Julius Ceaser but probably had never heard of the Gracchi brothers or Sulla. So hearing how he's he included all the diplomatic/geopolitical stuff along with the human side in Blueprint, my thinking just was the the Dan Carlin version of the story Western front would be awesome.

All that said I'd be just as happy if he dove into feudal japan, the Crusades or whatever.. he's gotta do the story of Alexander the Great one day too surely, feels like he  chooses topics he's passionate about  & he's always referencing him
    ghm3
    Hatorian said:

@ghm3

I am just assuming by the way his podcasts are going that WW2 will be the sequel to Blueprint for Armageddon. My guess is it will be titled Armageddon. But I may be wrong. 

Also it appears Ostfront is Eastern Europe Theatre exclusively. I may be wrong as I haven't listened to that particular audio. 

I also doubt he, who is trying to monetize this, will forgo a deep dive into World War 2 for Samurai or the French Revolution. Don't get me wrong I would surely listen and enjoy but I don't feel he would get as much listener-ship. If I was to make a bet it would be that after Blueprint were getting Armageddon. 
    I've got that feeling too, except I was more thinking that Armageddon was referring to what seems to be around the corner now, and he's just running through the events in the industrial age of warfare that's led us here.
    edited May 2015
    @ghm3

I would trust your opinion on DC more than my own. I haven't listened to all of his stuff and my studies have primarily focused on military history from 1700 to present. My thesis was on WW2 and is my favorite part of history to learn so I definitely have a bias. You are probably right that it will take years to get through it properly. I can wait. There is so much quality media on this subject that it is almost impossible to run out. 

interesting prediction. you could be right. I mean WW2 is the reason we are here today. Living in an independent Singapore today is because of the outcomes of WW2 on the British empire. its amazing to think about how many present day situations are linked back to WW2 which itself is linked to WW1. Armageddon, according to DC, could still be coming. Its quite possible. We think WW3 is not very possible given our modern thinking and the geo-political ramifications but we also find a way to fuck things up. :)
    edited May 2015
    ^^^One major "bad for America" oil deal mixed with an overt act of military aggression is about all it would take. I would say China would be the culprit, but our relationship is still too symbiotic at this stage of the game. Russia on the other hand...
    edited May 2015
    I think Carlin kind of signed off this last episode of blueprint saying that basically nuclear weapons combined with ww2, the horror of the eastern front etc were basically the 'Armageddon' , could have meant on to the cold war but i dunno, just my take away.

Although from what i've heard and read  the Somme, Verdun, Passchendaele..etc sounds about as terrible experience a human being can go through

Just on the carving up of the middle east ,I'd encourage anyone to read A line in the sand on the  Sykes-Picot agreement,  the best quote from British politician Sykes, while looking at the map of the middle east and deciding "I should like to draw a line from the “e” in Acre to the last “k” in Kirkuk" and thus was born modern Syria & Iraq,  either ignoring or encouraging the sunni/shia divisions, to 'divide & conquer', causing absolutely no problems a century on :|
    Hatorian
  • Another aspect of the WW1 that Carlin only hints about at the end was effects the war had on the Balkans. The whole thing ignited with Serbian separatists and at the end we see the formation of the state of southern slavs or Yugoslavia - yet another shell that would explode in Europe in the 1990s. He could spend at least a good four hours on that.

But great stuff all around. It's such an almost impossible story to tell coherently. I think he did a great job showing the horror and humanity involved. Most importantly (and this is what I love most about him), he put this into a brilliant contemporary 20th/21st century context.
    Freddy
  • Another good book on the Middle East's role in World War I is David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East

• Just an FYI for anyone interested, but just saw that one of the sources Dan Carlin cited in Blueprint, "Now It Can Be Told", by Phillip Gibbs, is available for free in the Amazon Kindle store. It's in the public domain, so it's probably been available for free for a while, but I just saw a tweet about it today and picked it up. 

Anyone read it?
    edited July 2015
    I haven't read all of it but I heard it's really interesting story, apparently the guy was a front line reporter and the government wouldn't let him post his photos and stories as it would destroy morale and support for the war.
  • This guy was one of the first war correspondents in the age of photo and print. Wonder how many lives he could have saved if he was able to release his reports.
  • Yeah I remember him mentioning some of this on the show. It does sound really interesting. I am really looking forward to reading it. The other book that it's my queue that Dan mentioned on the show is "A World Undone."