The Boys on Amazon

guess I’ll start the thread with my 101 and 102 spoiler free impressions podcast :) 

https://entertainmenttalk.org/amazons-the-boys-101-102-spoiler-free-impressions/

ken haleGeorge

Comments

• Has nobody been talking about this show?  I just caught the first couple episodes yesterday and really enjoyed it.  For like a decade now I've been disinterested in the comic because the concept of "superheroes are really assholes" was really overdone at the time, but maybe it just hasn't been done before on screen, or at least not this well, because the show really held my attention.  It's crude and uncomfortable, sometimes in a try-hard way, and some of the subject matter, or how it is handled, will be off-putting to many.  Yeah, this show is definitely flawed, and I won't go too far to defend it, but I do think that the lead characters are well-written, the special effects and costumes aren't cheap or cheesy, the world is built up in a very detailed and coherent way, and the plot is unfolding with a bit of mystery that is compelling.  So, yeah, thanks for starting this thread, I was popping in to do the same!
    Travis
  • I haven't started it yet but it's definitely a show I've been looking forward to.  I'm one of the people at opening night showings of all Marvel movies but Umbrella Academy really came out of nowhere and was an extremely well done show and it shows a different side of the "superhero" genre that I enjoy.  I look forward to checking this out and seeing another take on the genre. 
    ken haleTravis
  • Yeah, I think that's why it feels so refreshing to me, is that it's a different take on the genre that we haven't really seen on film since...Hancock?  I had to look up the name of that one.
    awookieeTravis
  • edited July 26
    ken hale said:
    Yeah, I think that's why it feels so refreshing to me, is that it's a different take on the genre that we haven't really seen on film since...Hancock?  I had to look up the name of that one.
    The only other "superhero" movie that took a vastly different approach was Venom and Suicide Squad.  Which I didn't think Suicide Squad was as horrible as people made it out to be but it certainly wasn't great.  I'm really looking forward to James Gunn's version of Suicide Squad, still not 100% sure if that's considered a sequel or a reboot lol.
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    awookiee said:
    ken hale said:
    Yeah, I think that's why it feels so refreshing to me, is that it's a different take on the genre that we haven't really seen on film since...Hancock?  I had to look up the name of that one.
    The only other "superhero" movie that took a vastly different approach was Venom and Suicide Squad.  Which I didn't think Suicide Squad was as horrible as people made it out to be but it certainly wasn't great.  I'm really looking forward to James Gunn's version of Suicide Squad, still not 100% sure if that's considered a sequel or a reboot lol.
    I just watched James Gunn's Super last weekend which is a very different take on it. There are no super powers if that's what draws you to these but there is Rainn Wilson getting his ass kicked by Kevin Bacon.
    awookieeFlukes
  • Also worth checking out, the Quebec classic "Les Boys" :)

FlukesAlexnstinson
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited July 26
    Watched the first episode and really liked it. It's like a rated R version of The Incredibles... lol

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Weird that is still not available on prime here. Usually all the originals release at the same time worldwide. Maybe SG has this blocked for some reason. I have noticed some shows get blocked. Especially if they focus on revolt and revolution or say bad things about government Guess it’s to the Bay. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I read the series a handful of years back. I liked it well enough, but it is does the typical Garth Ennis thing of really long exposition and text and then shocking for shock's sake. With that said, I have heard nothing but great things about this series, so I will definitely be giving it a whirl. It looks like it has already been renewed for a second season. It is always promising when studios renew before it even hits wide audiences. 
    ken hale
  • Finished season 1 today, enjoy my review with mixed feelings 

https://entertainmenttalk.org/amazons-the-boys-season-1-review/
    ken hale
  • Binged it over the weekend, really good show, thought it dragged a little 3/4 the way in, but overall a good show, interesting ending as well.

majjam0770
  • I'm 2 episodes in and it's definitely got my interest.  Love the use of audio in the show.
    Man..that ending. I really don’t want to wait another year..
    BroRad33fidozmajjam0770ken hale
  • I just watched the first episode, I liked it enough to keep watching.  I also recognized a few of the shooting locations.  The heroes tower is Roy Thomson Hall with a CGI tower added on top of it.

Also, my friend Dave played one of the security guards at the tower (when the kid goes to meet the heroes and he has to pass through the metal detector - my friend Dave is one of the guards there!

HatorianDummyNoelawookieeblue_sleevejenetee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have zero interest in superheroes so I didn’t expect to get into this at all, but I ended up watching five episodes Friday night and the rest when I got up Saturday. I loved it. My one complaint is Karl Urban’s weird accent - I thought at first he was using his normal NZ accent, then that he was trying to sound Australian, and then someone called him a limey and I realised he was meant to be English. Could they not have sprung for a dialect coach?

Also, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s kid is a pretty good actor. 
    majjam0770Elisa
    Dee said:
    I have zero interest in superheroes so I didn’t expect to get into this at all, but I ended up watching five episodes Friday night and the rest when I got up Saturday. I loved it. My one complaint is Karl Urban’s weird accent - I thought at first he was using his normal NZ accent, then that he was trying to sound Australian, and then someone called him a limey and I realised he was meant to be English. Could they not have sprung for a dialect coach?

honestly i was trying to figure the accent out all season. i couldn't tell if he was UK, AU or NZ. he was sort of all over the place. but i do know alot of my fellow americans are racist and calling him a limey could just be someone who thinks hes british cuz of the accent. 
    majjam0770Dee
    also hughie looks alot like a young Rain Wilson. get them a brother team up show...
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Thought I’d check it out and have now binged 3 episodes. I’m loving it, despite previously mentioned wonky accent. I do get a bit of Barry vibe from Hughie. And now I have to google to find out which one is a Meg/Dennis offspring. 

I’m guessing this show was or still is being discussed on a podcast?
  • Dee said:

He should star in something with uma thurman and Ethan hawke’s kid from Stranger Things!  

I also really liked this. Not sure why I watched as I  am kind of burnt out on super heroes but I’m glad I did. 
  • I loved it. Didn't get the usual slowdown as with the Netflix shows. Maybe 8 episode seasons is the sweet spot, better than 13...

I kept thinking Hugh reminded me of a young Josh Charles, ie, Will from The Good Wife
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    also hughie looks alot like a young Rain Wilson. get them a brother team up show...
    He reminded me of Anton Yelchin :-( 
    OpusWhoNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    Dee said:

honestly i was trying to figure the accent out all season. i couldn't tell if he was UK, AU or NZ. he was sort of all over the place. but i do know alot of my fellow americans are racist and calling him a limey could just be someone who thinks hes british cuz of the accent. 
    Nah, he definitely was meant to be British - they specified it in one of the later episodes. 
    Hatorian
  • Before this thread I actually thought Karl Urban was British, but doing a bad British accent on purpose. Like when an American wants to sound dumb so they exaggerate a country twang. Now that I know he's from NZ, I feel like his accent is Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven level bad. 
    Deemajjam0770Elisa
    edited July 30
    Dee said:
    Hatorian said:
    He reminded me of Anton Yelchin :-( 
    Your right. He does. He did some great work. That ending of Alpha Dog ctually had me dusty. Knowing what happened to the actual kid and watching him beg for his life.

Crazy story what happened to Alton too. RIP. 

Btw alpha dog underrated movie. Ben foster great performance. Probably JTs best performance of his movie career. 
    Noel
  • Thought I’d check it out and have now binged 3 episodes. I’m loving it, despite previously mentioned wonky accent. I do get a bit of Barry vibe from Hughie. And now I have to google to find out which one is a Meg/Dennis offspring. 

I’m guessing this show was or still is being discussed on a podcast?
    They touched on the beginning of the series during the most recent Bald Move TV.  Spoilers probably through 2ish episodes I think although I've only seen 2 episodes so far. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Hatorian said:
    Ennis had the artist literally use Simon Peg as the character model for Hughie in the comic.  It's as close as Ultimate Nick Fury is to Sam Jackson before he was cast.

I saw there was a Peg cameo and that is probably why. 
    ken hale
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    rhcoop said:
    Hatorian said:
    Ennis had the artist literally use Simon Peg as the character model for Hughie in the comic.  It's as close as Ultimate Nick Fury is to Sam Jackson before he was cast.

I saw there was a Peg cameo and that is probably why. 
    This show has been in development hell for a while. Peg was originally going to be Hughie, but aged out of it.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    The first episode was directed by Dan Trachtenberg.  He also did Black Mirror's "Playtest" and "10 Cloverfield Lane."  His next feature is supposed to be based on the Uncharted game series.  
    ken hale
  • Dee said:
    Hatorian said:
    Dee said:

Nah, he definitely was meant to be British - they specified it in one of the later episodes. 
    He manages to sound like a generic Londoner/S. East England native when he's not swearing(he could get a job On the British soap 'eastenders'... Sadly, thats not saying much) but as soon as the ripe language starts, his native Kiwi tones really kick in. As the Butcher swears /curses every second word, it is quite noticeable but I still enjoy his performance and am loving The Boys :) 
    Dee
  • awookiee said:
    ken hale said:
    I just watched James Gunn's Super last weekend which is a very different take on it. There are no super powers if that's what draws you to these but there is Rainn Wilson getting his ass kicked by Kevin Bacon.
    “Its all gushy”