The Boys on Amazon

Comments

• Finished it up. Loved it. Homelander actor blew my mind. I would watch Shue read the phone book. Many elements from my all time fav comic “Miracleman”. Really entertaining.
    majjam0770CretanBull
  • OpusWho said:
    awookiee said:
    ken hale said:
    Yeah, I think that's why it feels so refreshing to me, is that it's a different take on the genre that we haven't really seen on film since...Hancock?  I had to look up the name of that one.
    The only other "superhero" movie that took a vastly different approach was Venom and Suicide Squad.  Which I didn't think Suicide Squad was as horrible as people made it out to be but it certainly wasn't great.  I'm really looking forward to James Gunn's version of Suicide Squad, still not 100% sure if that's considered a sequel or a reboot lol.
    I just watched James Gunn's Super last weekend which is a very different take on it. There are no super powers if that's what draws you to these but there is Rainn Wilson getting his ass kicked by Kevin Bacon.
    “Its all gushy”
    I watched this after the recommendation.

that movie does not age very well for James Gunn. I know he has been cleared of any misconduct and rehired. But his devil impersonation along with the Christian kids wearing basically nothing is not a good look for him. Knowing what he was called out for and watching him be some freaky sex devil is cringey. 

Not too mention the movie basically has 2 rape scenes...one involving a very young adult....
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    On ep 2 so far.
  • OpusWho said:
    Finished it up. Loved it. Homelander actor blew my mind. I would watch Shue read the phone book. Many elements from my all time fav comic “Miracleman”. Really entertaining.
    I'm only partway through, but I picked up a Miracleman vibe too (I love those comics!).
    majjam0770OpusWho
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just finished and loved it! The storyline builds both the characters and interest.  During the last episode I kept thinking it couldn’t be close to done...and then it was done. I have no complaints about how it ended, tied things up or created cliffhangers. I’m just not ready to wait for season 2. 

Would love to hear if @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard - and definitely @Cecily finished the season and what they thought. 
    majjam0770
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We had to turn this off in the middle of the 2nd episode.  I'm sure it gets better, but how long does that lull drag on?  We need to motor through it to get to Ep 3, but man it got slow in Ep 2. 
  • cdrive said:
    We had to turn this off in the middle of the 2nd episode.  I'm sure it gets better, but how long does that lull drag on?  We need to motor through it to get to Ep 3, but man it got slow in Ep 2. 

It seemed relatively close to the same pace throughout, might not be your cup o' tea if it was a no go after episode 1.5

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited August 2019
    cdrive said:
    You pretty much know what you're in for after the first ten minutes of episode one. The lull comes around episode six.
    JaimieT
  • I don't know about any "lull".  All I saw was some solid character development that I wasn't expecting based off the first episode or two.  I was fully expecting most of the 7 to be cardboard cutout villains for The Boys to destroy but man, they didn't rest on that, even though I would have been plenty fine with it.  A stylized revenge tale.  But actually, it turned out to be far more interesting and far deeper than I imagined at the beginning.

Also, Anthony Starr's Homelander is one of the more interesting and scary villains I've seen in a long damn while.  He's absolutely terrifying.  I have no idea what happens next as I haven't read the comic, but I can't wait to find out.  How you defeat a Superman level villain that is as smart as Lex Luthor isn't going to be easy, but sign me up for next season!
    Deemajjam0770MurderbearSchluppMsAnne
  • OpusWho said:
    Finished it up. Loved it. Homelander actor blew my mind. I would watch Shue read the phone book. Many elements from my all time fav comic “Miracleman”. Really entertaining.
    I just want to second, or third, the praise for Anthony Starr playing Homelander.  The way he switches from PR-heroic to menacing and back, sometimes within the same scene or bit of dialog, is pretty remarkable.  This would not be the same show without that guy.
    Murderbearmajjam0770ddmax
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I gotta agree about the lack of any sort of lull. 8 amazing episodes and I can't wait for more! 
    majjam0770Toadie
  • Finished it over the weekend and I loved it all the way through.  

Did everybody here read about the scene that Amazon made them cut?

Eric Kripke, the show's co-creator said this:

"There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said FUCK NO, you have to cut. I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling "I can do whatever I want" over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1."

Sourced from this Reddit AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/cjt17f/im_eric_kripke_the_cocreator_of_the_new_amazon/evg0hom/
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Finished it over the weekend and I loved it all the way through.  

Did everybody here read about the scene that Amazon made them cut?

Eric Kripke, the show's co-creator said this:

"There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said FUCK NO, you have to cut. I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling "I can do whatever I want" over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1."

Sourced from this Reddit AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/cjt17f/im_eric_kripke_the_cocreator_of_the_new_amazon/evg0hom/
    Granted I haven't finished the show yet, but I can see why they would request that they pull that. Not necessarily for it being too extreme, but for it being a bit on the nose. I think even after the first episode most viewers grasp that the Supes are power-drunk and probably didn't need it spelled out with a masturbation scene. Though I'd watch that in a heart-beat. 
    majjam0770
  • edited August 2019
    I really enjoyed the ride, it is a way better and darker show than I expected. It's hard to beat legion in case of fucked up superheroes but I like to see shows like the boys seriously trying.

majjam0770
  • Regarding the cut scene mentioned above, if it came (if Homelander came) too early in the episode it would have spoiled a pretty good reveal at the end of him being just as twisted as the rest of them. 
    majjam0770rkcrawf
  • Toadie said:
    I don't know about any "lull".  All I saw was some solid character development that I wasn't expecting based off the first episode or two.  I was fully expecting most of the 7 to be cardboard cutout villains for The Boys to destroy but man, they didn't rest on that, even though I would have been plenty fine with it.  A stylized revenge tale.  But actually, it turned out to be far more interesting and far deeper than I imagined at the beginning.

Also, Anthony Starr's Homelander is one of the more interesting and scary villains I've seen in a long damn while.  He's absolutely terrifying.  I have no idea what happens next as I haven't read the comic, but I can't wait to find out.  How you defeat a Superman level villain that is as smart as Lex Luthor isn't going to be easy, but sign me up for next season!
    Agree with all of this, I thought it was pretty great. Plus this show looks a million bucks, the opening scene of episode 1 looks like a feature length film.

Homelander is a truly terrifying villain, but with just a hint of pathos so that you understand why he's so messed up.

Really hope this gets discussed on Bald Move TV, it's been quite well received critically and I think I read it's Amazon's most streamed show.

majjam0770ken hale
  • Hatorian said:
    also hughie looks alot like a young Rain Wilson. get them a brother team up show...
    I keep seeing a young Michael Shannon. 
    MurderbearDee
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    rkcrawf said:
    Hatorian said:
    also hughie looks alot like a young Rain Wilson. get them a brother team up show...
    I keep seeing a young Michael Shannon. 
    Yes!
  • Homelander also looks like the dude from SNL. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Dee said:
    Hatorian said:
    Dee said:
    I have zero interest in superheroes so I didn’t expect to get into this at all, but I ended up watching five episodes Friday night and the rest when I got up Saturday. I loved it. My one complaint is Karl Urban’s weird accent - I thought at first he was using his normal NZ accent, then that he was trying to sound Australian, and then someone called him a limey and I realised he was meant to be English. Could they not have sprung for a dialect coach?

Also, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s kid is a pretty good actor. 
     honestly i was trying to figure the accent out all season. i couldn't tell if he was UK, AU or NZ. he was sort of all over the place. but i do know alot of my fellow americans are racist and calling him a limey could just be someone who thinks hes british cuz of the accent. 
    Nah, he definitely was meant to be British - they specified it in one of the later episodes. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! He was so Australian to my ears. I realize my ears, on Australian accents, are worth almost nothing, but he was so far from British!

Hilarious.
    Dee
  • Some good news.    The Boys season 2 is coming along.   Check out this update:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/16/karl-urban-looks-totally-butchered-in-new-the-boys-season-2-photo
    rkcrawfken hale
    YES a mini cast on The Boys. @A_Ron_Hubbard, schedule permitting I hope you can do a full cast to close out the season. There's enough to discuss. I won't mind if you start taking notes for it... ;)
    Teresa from Concordmajjam0770CoryBloodyTaco
  • I saw they did a new podcast but was super disappointed that they’ve still only watched 4 episodes. I was hoping they had finished it by now. It’s cool they’re doing Rick and Morty, even though I haven’t listened to any of them yet, but man it seems like it’s making it so they can’t do anything else. There’s also been some really good movies lately that they could have covered. 
  • Still have the last episode to watch but really enjoying the series. I'm another that doesn't follow a lot of the comic book superhero movies. There are just too many of them to keep track of, and they get so formulaic with all the action scenes, I just find it tedious. But I really liked Umbrella Academy and I'm really enjoying The Boys too. 

Just one question. Why is it called "The Boys?" I'm assuming The Boys are Hughie, Billy Butcher, Mother's Milk and Frenchie, right? Nobody has referred to them as "the boys" in the narrative though. Weird title. 

Also, in the above mentioned Podcast, @Cecily mistakenly declares that Wonder Woman can fly. ? No, not in her invisible airplane, just the ability to fly. Go back and watch again, Cecily, I'm sorry to be the one to correct you but Wonder Woman cannot fly. Maybe there's some iteration of her in the comics where she can but she doesn't fly in the 1970s Lynda Carter version, nor in the Gal Gadot theatrical version.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Also, in the above mentioned Podcast, @Cecily mistakenly declares that Wonder Woman can fly. ? No, not in her invisible airplane, just the ability to fly. Go back and watch again, Cecily, I'm sorry to be the one to correct you but Wonder Woman cannot fly. Maybe there's some iteration of her in the comics where she can but she doesn't fly in the 1970s Lynda Carter version, nor in the Gal Gadot theatrical version.
    I said she could fly, which is, correct.  Sorry she doesn't fly in the only iterations you've seen but thanks for coming here to...correct...me? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman#Abilities
    JaimieTBloodyTacogguenotRyanReesemanMurderbear
  • Initially, superman couldnt fly either,hence the “leap tall buildings” line. It’s not unusual for powersets to be tweaked over time. Some stick, like flying wonder woman. Some don’t, like electric blue superman. 

• Just one question. Why is it called "The Boys?" I'm assuming The Boys are Hughie, Billy Butcher, Mother's Milk and Frenchie, right? Nobody has referred to them as "the boys" in the narrative though. Weird title. 

It's the worst name ever for a show. I remember months ago seeing the trailer for this play in front of a few movies (during the trailer pre-trailer advertising stuff) and thinking it looked like a fun show to check out, but literally 10 minutes later couldn't remember what it was called... and that happened 2 or 3 times with a couple of those time me actively trying to remember the name, lol

At one point in the show I think Butcher is on the phone with someone and does say "me 'n the boys" yadda yadda yadda, but that may be me inserting the scene with my personal head canon... 
    JaimieTBloodyTacoken hale
    edited August 2019
    redlancer said:

Just one question. Why is it called "The Boys?" I'm assuming The Boys are Hughie, Billy Butcher, Mother's Milk and Frenchie, right? Nobody has referred to them as "the boys" in the narrative though. Weird title. 

It's the worst name ever for a show. I remember months ago seeing the trailer for this play in front of a few movies (during the trailer pre-trailer advertising stuff) and thinking it looked like a fun show to check out, but literally 10 minutes later couldn't remember what it was called... and that happened 2 or 3 times with a couple of those time me actively trying to remember the name, lol

At one point in the show I think Butcher is on the phone with someone and does say "me 'n the boys" yadda yadda yadda, but that may be me inserting the scene with my personal head canon... 

It's so bad. I can speak to this from a demo standpoint. You call your show "The Boys" and make it look like some Guy Ritchie heist, no thanks. I heard it had superheroes and even that sounded bad, tacked on. The superhero stuff is the most compelling aspect. Heck, go Japanese and call it "Kill Homelander" for all I care. The crazy part to me is this show is very much up my alley. So besides not making any sense in universe... at least target your fucking audience.

(Edit: not saying "the Boys" as a title would never work for me, just not as marketed. It's like the trailer production company only knew the title. They really played to the title.)
  • Just speculating, but perhaps "The Boys" means there are more reveals like the one in the final episode.