Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood (SPOILERS)

Ok so I saw this last night and was floored at how great it was. I freaking loved it and I want to see it again but this time with a bigger crowd because my crowd was all old people who didn’t laugh at anything and I thought something was wrong or I was misinterpreting the jokes. 

Anyway, to get to that ending: the whole time I kept thinking “ok, this is tarantino; he’s gonna switch up history somehow.” But what I thought was going to happen was instead of Sharon Tate dying, it would be Rick. So boy was I surprised when Rick and Cliff unloaded on those fucking hippies! When Rick got out the flamethrower I literally jumped out of my seat and yelled “Oh My God, no way!!”

It was so much fun and looking back on it, a really well made film. It already in my top 3 Tarantino films and it might go up further after a second watch.

What did you guys think? How about some great lines that stuck with you? My personal favorite was Cliff’s response to Ted saying “I am the devil and I’m here to do the devils business.” “Nah, it was dumber than that.”
mft9186Freddy

Comments

  • It was great , loved loved the ending and I definitely didn't see that coming , totally thought they were going to kill Rick's wife 
  • I thought it was good. The plot kind of meandered a little too much but it was enjoyable to watch the whole way through. I was pretty delighted by the end. Most of his recent movies have some form of over the top violence running through it and this one really went with a slow burn before it went gonzo.

    I started to figure there would be some type of alternative history going on, but I was trying to prepare myself to see the Tate murders and I'm just glad they didn't go there. That was some heinous shit and I found the almost overly happy alternative kinda cathartic after figuring Cliff would at least get a hole blown in him.

    He needs to cool it with the feet though. I have no problem with seeing them, but I think everyone knows about it as a fetish for him now, and it was so overt that it went beyond being a "calling card" and was just kind of distracting.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    On the podcast the guys were talking about how he said he would stop making films after his 10th and this was his 9th, which I think technically is right. But Kill Bill was split into a volume 1 and 2. So I am not sure if that counts as 1 film or 2, because if 2 then this was technically his 10th. I mean it probably doesn't matter because I don't think he will stick to that. But interesting to know if he considers this his 9th or 10th film.
  • caught it yesterday

    - loved the casting, and performances,
    - loved the 'interaction' with historical events
    - loved the fan service to late 60s TV veterans (I'm old)

    solid 8.5 out of 10.
    OpusWho
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 29
    kuman07 said:
    On the podcast the guys were talking about how he said he would stop making films after his 10th and this was his 9th, which I think technically is right. But Kill Bill was split into a volume 1 and 2. So I am not sure if that counts as 1 film or 2, because if 2 then this was technically his 10th. I mean it probably doesn't matter because I don't think he will stick to that. But interesting to know if he considers this his 9th or 10th film.
    I clock him in at 8.75. That's counting only movies he has directed, not counting his short film (My Best Friend's Birthday, counting his segment of Four Rooms as .25, and Death Proof as half a movie.
  • I do not understand this fake sympathy people have out of the sudden for the Manson family , and their objection to the way the women who committed such heinous murders in real life mind you ,  were treated . Seriously sometimes I ask my self if we're really living in a crazy world where everyone is offended by everything and anything . A lady who I listen to on film podcast said I don't go to the movies for feminists politics and I think that's the right take to have . I just don't get this particular criticism of this movie . 
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    I will speak to this particular criticism, @mft9186 - for me personally, I just think it is dangerous to pretend that people who commit heinous murders are stupid idiot bumblefucks who happen into murdering good people.  What they really are is smart, capable, people  - who are a lot like you and I.  Murderers are REAL people that need to be taken seriously and provided help -or- locked away immediately.  There are signs, it's usually not random.  

    I feel like what is harmful is suggesting that if you are going to be murdered, then you should have seen/known it was coming.  These bumblefuck idiots came lumbering up a private drive and you should have reported that to the police or killed them right then and there.  It's so obvious when they pulled up that they were evil, right?  These idiots only came in with a knife and gun (that they were immediately relieved of by a dog).  If only the stupid, vapid, pregnant Sharon Tate and her house full of self-important actor and trust-fund-baby types weren't so wrapped up in themselves that they would have taken the skills (that they should have learned from killing their wife and acting in movies) to actually protect themselves, then they'd still be alive right now.  Thank goodness they put the men in charge of protection in this movie, because even blind drunk and tripping on LSD they can do a better job of brutalizing women that really need brutalizing.

    It just feels like someone who feels great loss knowing how brutally Sharon and co. were murdered wants to re-write history and give her some redemption because her life was gone too soon.  We all feel that, I am sure.  But Sharon was a woman whose life is valuable, and if we don't learn anything from what actually happened, then truly her death was meaningless.  Manson was denied a recording contract.  He sent a death squad in.  He got the wrong group of renters.  All intentional and malicious.

    So that was my problem - I have ZERO sympathy for the Manson family.  I have a great deal of sympathy for how they began and the trauma they experienced to make them how they are; but that in no way excuses how despicable what they did was.  I just wanted to clarify that viewpoint a bit.
    shakabrymft9186Aww_PHuuCk
  • I'm pretty stunned both Leo's and Brad's characters didn't die by the end of this film. Is this the first time all the principal characters survived a Tarantino film?
  • I'm not sure I understood the point of having Sharon Tate in the movie other than she gave some great material for Tarantino to jerk off to later. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited July 31
    Cecily said:

    I feel like what is harmful is suggesting that if you are going to be murdered, then you should have seen/known it was coming.  These bumblefuck idiots came lumbering up a private drive and you should have reported that to the police or killed them right then and there.  It's so obvious when they pulled up that they were evil, right?  These idiots only came in with a knife and gun (that they were immediately relieved of by a dog).  If only the stupid, vapid, pregnant Sharon Tate and her house full of self-important actor and trust-fund-baby types weren't so wrapped up in themselves that they would have taken the skills (that they should have learned from killing their wife and acting in movies) to actually protect themselves, then they'd still be alive right now.  Thank goodness they put the men in charge of protection in this movie, because even blind drunk and tripping on LSD they can do a better job of brutalizing women that really need brutalizing.

    That's a pretty big reach, and I don't think that was what the movie was suggesting at all.

    The heinous real-life villains in Tarantino's movies are always presented as stupid idiot bumblefucks, and he aiming for some form of catharsis by having them brutalized on screen. He's not saying anything about the actual victims.

    I also don't agree that someone capable of stabbing a pregnant woman multiple times is a lot like you and me.
  • I liked the movie. I am very sure that I will like it more with multiple viewings. The one issue I had is that since I have been seeing QT movies in the theater...since Pulp Fiction is the music. It was good but every movie has had...to me anyway...a 100% original soundtrack that introduced me to songs that would be with me for the rest of my life.

    So...Mrs. Robinson?? Really? Love the song and S&G obviously...just not what was expected. I did love the Spahn Ranch scene and basking in Sharon Tate’s basking of her own movie. 

    The most I laughed was when Pitt took off his shirt with the movie saying “Here is Brad Pitt taking off his shirt.” 

    ...and Jill Garvey...from a single scene in season 3 to massive one on one time with Brad in only 2 years. Good on you Margaret Qually...

    and 3 words...Neil. Fucking. Diamond.
    awookiee

  • I'm pretty stunned both Leo's and Brad's characters didn't die by the end of this film. Is this the first time all the principal characters survived a Tarantino film?
    Butch & Jules lived.
    Max Cherry & Jackie Brown lived
    Beatrix & Daughter lived
    Aldo Raine lived (I think)
    Django lived (I think)

  • The longer I sit with this movie, the more I think I really love it. Seeing Shobb & Haw last night helped a great deal on that front, too. Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are co-starring in a Quentin Tarantino movie, and it’s going to get beat out by a shitty CGI monstrosity of a movie that everyone already saw 2+ decades ago, and something called Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in its first 2 opening weekends.

    I’ve got tickets to go see this again tonight, just so I can savor the last vestiges of a dying era, right before everything becomes schlocky franchise garbage. 


    tom_gmft9186fidoz
  • Cecily said:
    I will speak to this particular criticism, @mft9186 - for me personally, I just think it is dangerous to pretend that people who commit heinous murders are stupid idiot bumblefucks who happen into murdering good people.  What they really are is smart, capable, people  - who are a lot like you and I.  Murderers are REAL people that need to be taken seriously and provided help -or- locked away immediately.  There are signs, it's usually not random.  

    I feel like what is harmful is suggesting that if you are going to be murdered, then you should have seen/known it was coming.  These bumblefuck idiots came lumbering up a private drive and you should have reported that to the police or killed them right then and there.  It's so obvious when they pulled up that they were evil, right?  These idiots only came in with a knife and gun (that they were immediately relieved of by a dog).  If only the stupid, vapid, pregnant Sharon Tate and her house full of self-important actor and trust-fund-baby types weren't so wrapped up in themselves that they would have taken the skills (that they should have learned from killing their wife and acting in movies) to actually protect themselves, then they'd still be alive right now.  Thank goodness they put the men in charge of protection in this movie, because even blind drunk and tripping on LSD they can do a better job of brutalizing women that really need brutalizing.

    It just feels like someone who feels great loss knowing how brutally Sharon and co. were murdered wants to re-write history and give her some redemption because her life was gone too soon.  We all feel that, I am sure.  But Sharon was a woman whose life is valuable, and if we don't learn anything from what actually happened, then truly her death was meaningless.  Manson was denied a recording contract.  He sent a death squad in.  He got the wrong group of renters.  All intentional and malicious.

    So that was my problem - I have ZERO sympathy for the Manson family.  I have a great deal of sympathy for how they began and the trauma they experienced to make them how they are; but that in no way excuses how despicable what they did was.  I just wanted to clarify that viewpoint a bit.
    I agree with most of this statement but I wouldn’t classify the Manson Family as “smart” murderers. They were part of a cult. And some research leans to the facts people in cults have a lower IQ than those who don’t. I mean they definitely weren’t bumblefucks but they also weren’t these great schemers. 

    I dont know enough about the real story to comment on whether it was avoidable or not. And when it comes to anyone who falls into a cult there is a part of me that feels that someone smarter and more manipulative than they were took advantage of them but ultimately as you said there is no sympathy. They made their decisions. Regardless. 
Sign In or Register to comment.