PocketCasts Ad Free Feeds

Hi guys, 

Have any other PocketCasts users been able to add new ad free feeds recently? I did it before, but now with the redesign of their app that came out several months ago I can't seem to get it to work. Would like to get the sweet sweet Pickle Me this feed added...but no luck so far. Any suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I tried this just now and had the same problem.  
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited July 31
    It actually seems the subscription tool is broken.  (Only for Pickle me Rick) Here is the link it generated for me with the password removed:

http://JoshTheBlack:[password]@baldmove.comhttps://baldmove.com/feed/ad-free-rick-and-morty/

Notice, after the first baldmove.com it immediately has https:// + link to feed.  This is poorly formed.

The feed should be:

https://JoshTheBlack:[password]@baldmove.com/feed/ad-free-rick-and-morty/

Also, this isn't working because that feed currently has no episodes in it.

Trying to examine the feed with pocketcasts submit feed tool says:

Invalid feed

Your podcast doesn’t seem to contain any episodes. Try adding an episode with this format
    <item>
      <title>Interesting episode title</title>
      <description>Short description about the episode</description>
      <pubDate>Tue, 02 Oct 2016 19:45:01</pubDate>
      <guid isPermaLink="false">insert a unique id for the episode</guid>
      <enclosure url="http://example.com/episode1.mp3" length="5860687" type="audio/mpeg" />
    </item>

Maybe try again in a few hours and the cast will be in the feed then?  

• MrXMrX CO
    edited July 31
    Maybe because Pickle Me This is co-produced with Starburns they can't post it in the ad-free feed?
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    It's available now.
  • Still not working for me.
  • This feed / category stuff was hastily set up this morning to meet some promotional deadlines (we were really just trying to have somewhere to link official promotion to) so the ad-free stuff got skipped over.  Should be good now.

Also, I can't stress this enough.  POCKET CASTS DOES NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORT AUTHENTICATED RSS FEEDS.  You shouldn't use it.  Many users have reported ad-free feeds working for a while and then failing to update later.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    The only problem with not using Pocket Casts is the other Android apps either do too much (more than podcasts), look awful, or lack features like auto-download, delete on played, and configurable episode retention. 

I haven't had any problems with the ad-free firehose feed in years, but if I may be so bold, maybe the instruction should be POCKET CASTS DOES NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORT AUTHENTICATED RSS FEEDS, AND THERE'S NOTHING BALD MOVE CAN DO ABOUT IT IF IT'S NOT REFRESHED, SO DON'T @Jim

bazjenster
  • I like Podcast Addict. It has auto download, can delete after played. Not sure about episode retention, but I like manual control so haven't looked into it. I  know Aron mentioned he had some technical problems with it, but I've never had issues on my HTC and Motorola phones.

I'm thinking of switching to Pixel for my next phone, I wonder if that will be when problems start for me.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    jhpark said:
    I like Podcast Addict. It has auto download, can delete after played. Not sure about episode retention, but I like manual control so haven't looked into it. I  know Aron mentioned he had some technical problems with it, but I've never had issues on my HTC and Motorola phones.

I'm thinking of switching to Pixel for my next phone, I wonder if that will be when problems start for me.
    I've tried Podcast Addict a couple times. There were always little things that bothered me. For example, in Pocket Casts, when I sort by Release Date (95% of the time, this is how I like them displayed), it actually does it in two groups: Podcasts with unplayed episodes and ones without. All the podcasts with unplayed episodes are listed first (in order of most recent release date) followed by the completely played podcasts in the same order. 

In Podcast Addict, when I sort by release date, it intermingles casts with and without unplayed episodes, so if I listen to the latest BM Firehose episode, it still sits at the top of the list if it has the most recent publish date even though there are no new episodes. There are options to hide podcasts without unplayed content, but that's not really what I'm looking for either.  It's just a personal preference, but I likes what I likes and I don't like this.

Now, I will say that PA seems to have caught up to or even surpassed Pocket Casts in configurability. It may be that I just need to spend some time tweaking how it's setup. If I spend the time, I'm sure I could probably get it to something I'm happy with, but that probably won't happen until the next time I have an issue with authenticated feeds. Or maybe I'll just vape a bowl and play with it tonight. :D

• It's working now...probably had to do with the feed not being setup. Thanks for everyone's comments!
  • Flukes said:

I've tried Podcast Addict a couple times. There were always little things that bothered me. For example, in Pocket Casts, when I sort by Release Date (95% of the time, this is how I like them displayed), it actually does it in two groups: Podcasts with unplayed episodes and ones without. All the podcasts with unplayed episodes are listed first (in order of most recent release date) followed by the completely played podcasts in the same order. 
    I only look at the list of podcasts if there's an old episode I want to listen to again and so I add it to my playlist. So I've never seen this behavior as a problem.

For daily use, I go to the Recent Episodes list off the main menu (three lines in upper left). That shows me all the newest podcast episodes from every podcast. So I never run into the issue you describe, because I'm not looking at the list of podcasts filtered or sorted by whether there are new episodes, or whatever. I'm just looking at all the recent episodes, and download whichever ones interest me.

If I wanted to, I could set up all new episodes to be downloaded, but I have enough podcasts in my list that I just read through all the new eps and download the ones I want to actually listen to, instead of downloading them all by default.

Maybe try the recent episodes list, and this issue won't be a problem anymore?
    Flukes