Do companies who make trailers "not available to your country" simply not understand the Internet?

MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO
I was linked from the Bald Move forums to the new Justified trailer. Great! Only to see the "the uploader has not made this video available to your country".

What would Daryl Dixon say??

I'm pretty sure that when uploading a video the default is "Available to all", which means someone goes through extra effort to make shit unavailable for others. I get it that at this point Justified isn't on any Romanian (home) network, but if you own the rights to a show why would you NOT want as much exposure as possible? I happen to know the show, I might recommend it to others; I might move to the US and watch it come January; I might move to the US for the sole purpose of watching it come 2015! What?... Why?

I feel like this is a dated 2005-worthy mentality but with 2014 Youtube upload options available.

Ranting away -- As a matter of fact (and this is just "theoretically") I might say F! you, FX! I'm not only going to watch the trailer through shadier streaming sites or vpn/proxies, but I'm going to watch your show. Best hope I do this by moving to the US and not "remotely".

Comments

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    That happens often to our international friends. It has to do with licensing agreements and international copyright law. It sucks, I know.
  • ReelHeadReelHead Bochum, Germany
    Yeah, sometimes it feels really awkward when you think that companies would actively restrict the non-US population from seeing their trailers, teasers and previews just for the sake of pushing contract fees with oversea-distributors...
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Being an Australian, that's the story of my life. I bet Rupert bloody Murdoch is behind it somehow.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I blame the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) and their super cozy relationship with cable providers.

I'm sure Australia has an equivalent.

The licensing regulations force US companies to partner with one of a handful of Canadian media companies (Rogers and Bell primarily) if they want their content available in Canada at all. Under these agreements the content producers have to restrict other non-cable methods of people getting the media. This is why Netflix took years to get into Canada and why we still use Hulu without an American proxy server.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ah, that sounds a lot like the way Uncle Rupert has things stitched up over here. He has control of the pay (cable) TV and about 80% of the media and he just pretty much runs things to suit his pockets.