Home Alone Reboot Confirmed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/home-alone-reboot-disney-plus/amp/

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Hollywood is so lazy anymore. I can’t stand it. These reboots are out of control. Can no one think of an original idea these days? Leave this classic the fuck alone you money hungry fucks. I can’t be more frank than that.

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    funny, that was a Fox property. now that Disney owns em they're like 'we'll take it from here.'. i think there was like 3 or 4 more after the Culkin ones.
  • I support this if they cast Macauley as one of the burglars. Bonus points if it’s an in-continuity reboot that explores Kevin McAllister’s ptsd and subsequent poor life choices. 
    ChinaskiJoshuaHetermajjam0770CapeGabeTravisNoelMichellerhcoopCretanBullTulipblossom
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Honestly, if they can come up with a plot that gets around the fact that in 2019, we are hyper-connected what with social media / smartphones / the internet in general... I’d give them a pass on this one.

That said, I’m not holding my breath.

majjam0770
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    ken hale said:
    I support this if they cast Macauley as one of the burglars. Bonus points if it’s an in-continuity reboot that explores Kevin McAllister’s ptsd and subsequent poor life choices. 
    https://youtu.be/yh7-wAy_8ss
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    ken hale said:
    I support this if they cast Macauley as one of the burglars. Bonus points if it’s an in-continuity reboot that explores Kevin McAllister’s ptsd and subsequent poor life choices. 
    That could be interesting, but is anyone really asking for this reboot or some of the others in this press release?  I'm not hearing anyone clamoring for a reboot of diary of a wimpy kid.
  • Just so everyone remembers, reboots don't make the original movie cease to exist. If you aren't interested in a home alone reboot (I know I'm not - the original isn't even that good), just don't see it. Problem solved. 
    JaimieTMurderbearMichelleawookiee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 7
    rhcoop said:
    ken hale said:
    That could be interesting, but is anyone really asking for this reboot or some of the others in this press release?  I'm not hearing anyone clamoring for a reboot of diary of a wimpy kid.

People don't have to be asking for it. They know the name. When you're standing outside the theater with your whole extended family on Christmas and it's the Home Alone reboot and some other movies, you go with the family movie, Home Alone, featuring some comedian the adults like. Because Grandma doesn't want superheroes.
    Michelle
  • asmallcat said:
    Just so everyone remembers, reboots don't make the original movie cease to exist. If you aren't interested in a home alone reboot (I know I'm not - the original isn't even that good), just don't see it. Problem solved. 
    It’s a joke though. A lot of people view the original as a holiday classic. It has no business being re-made and it’s only going to be done because of money. The lack of originality in Hollywood right now is embarrassing. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Who would you cast in your Home Alone remake? Wrong answers, funny answers and spot-on answers.

old man Marley - Morgan Freeman
    Buzz- James Corden
    Kevin’s uncle - the guy that plays Murray Bauman, Bret Gelman
    Harry & Marv - Giamatti & Buscemi
    Kevin’s Dad - Shatner
    Kevin - Jeremy Ray Taylor
    Kevin’s Mom -Kristen Wiig 

Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    The cop that checks on the house - T1000
  • To the original topic, it has bothered me for a while the lack of talented writers, producers and showrunners in TV and movies. The is zero originality. Just reboot everything.

I sincerely doubt there is a lack of talent out there. The more corporate even the independent companies have gotten the more it is just cranking out crap for the lowest common denominator.

I would have thought with all the streaming companies just cranking out show after show there would be more risk taking but they seem to be getting more risk averse. If it isn't a blockbuster movie or the next Game of Thrones show it gets the ax fairly quickly.

Not sure it will get much better in the near future or for a long time.
    JTKIIIbizmarkiefader
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    regarding 'remakes'.. i always felt that movies written or directed by John Hughes got stayed away from. i wanna say there was a time where there was talks of a Ferris Bueler's re-make with the Malcolm in the Middle dude. in the late 90's and early 2000's when the internet was blowing up i was worried that it was only a matter of time before a Weird Science remake.  Hughes wrote Home Alone so it was just a matter of time. surprised it took so long.
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Chinaski said:
    regarding 'remakes'.. i always felt that movies written or directed by John Hughes got stayed away from. i wanna say there was a time where there was talks of a Ferris Bueler's re-make with the Malcolm in the Middle dude. in the late 90's and early 2000's when the internet was blowing up i was worried that it was only a matter of time before a Weird Science remake.  Hughes wrote Home Alone so it was just a matter of time. surprised it took so long.
    A Ferris Bueller remake?  No thanks.

A Ferris Bueller sequel... now that could be pretty cool.
    Chinaski
  • ken hale said:
    Haha, yes! I was picturing his recent bathrobe-cameo on Best of the Worst when I made the comment :) That man is truly an inspiration.
    Murderbear
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    CapeGabe said:
    To the original topic, it has bothered me for a while the lack of talented writers, producers and showrunners in TV and movies. The is zero originality. Just reboot everything.

I sincerely doubt there is a lack of talent out there. The more corporate even the independent companies have gotten the more it is just cranking out crap for the lowest common denominator.

I would have thought with all the streaming companies just cranking out show after show there would be more risk taking but they seem to be getting more risk averse. If it isn't a blockbuster movie or the next Game of Thrones show it gets the ax fairly quickly.

Not sure it will get much better in the near future or for a long time.

Unfortunately this isn't likely to change any time soon unless the habits of people consuming entertainment change dramatically. Studios don't want small to medium sized TV shows or movies that are going to make their money back and be well liked by the people who see them, everything has to be a mega hit. They view any resources going into something that will never be the next gigantic franchise as a waste unless you can guarantee it will make a bunch of money through name recognition before they even start putting resources on it. The only lane i can even think of right now are streaming services who need to pad out their libraries with anything and channels like FX who seem to be OK with making prestige shows without GoT size ratings behind them.

The main problem with the streaming services is we have no insight into what they're going to do, everything is a black box with them. Shows that seem to be well liked get cancelled while they continue to pump out tons of shit that nobody is even aware of much less watching, which makes me think they're just rolling as many dice as possible trying to find the next Stranger Things. We know they need to fill up their libraries with something with how much content is being pulled by all these new streaming services popping up, but all we can do is hope its with good, original content that takes risks or at the very least isn't just hundreds of bland reboots.
  • I mean, there are still great projects being made, on both the small and big screen. We have more choices today than ever. And it's not like the 70's, 80's, or 90's were paradises where the only movies ever made were 9/10's. Most movies and TV shows (ESPECIALLY TV shows) back then were trash too! We just don't remember or watch the trash ones cause, well, why would you?

And it's not like the guy pitching Home Alone Rebootacular, or the guy greenlighting it, would suddenly have pitched or greenlit the next Citizen Kane if Home Alone wasn't on the table. They would have rebooted something else, or made a thoroughly underwhelming original project. 

There have always been hacks in entertainment, and there always will be. Just like there will always be talented people. Watch what's good, ignore what's not, and be happy. I mean, hell, we literally just got Chernobyl, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen and not exactly something that would pitch well to most execs. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:
    Haha, yes! I was picturing his recent bathrobe-cameo on Best of the Worst when I made the comment :) That man is truly an inspiration.
    He was also on The Angry Video Game Nerd's show a few months ago to play all of the Home Alone games. It's really good.
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    There has always been trash and there have always been remakes (aren't there like 7 versions of A Star is Born?), but it feels like we're hitting a point where nearly everything that gets to the box office is either a reboot or a sequel which wasn't the case even 10-20 years ago. If you aren't already a big name film maker like Tarantino, anything that isn't a guaranteed hit or a potential franchise has to find a way onto a streaming service and hope the mysterious algorithms decide they're worth it. Even HBO is talking about becoming a content factory rather than focusing on making fewer really good shows.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    They should reboot A Christmas Story but in the end we get M Night Shamalyned and it turns out the story takes place in July due to climate change..
    Teresa from ConcordChinaskiMichelleNoelasmallcatmajjam0770
  • MichelleMichelle California
    ^^^^^^^^^^

NoelChinaskiTeresa from ConcordMurderbear
    I'm a huge film fan. Here's what I've been thinking lately. "Original" good films exist. I haven't even gotten close to seeing all the great ones. Maybe instead of thinking of this in terms of society only being exposed to new releases, we can think of it in terms of supply. The supply is there. When someone gets fed up with remakes and reboots and wants something "original," they only need to search out the content and they'll find it. The art of film requires people to go on a little hero's journey today instead of being spoon fed. I'm fine with that. I don't think that will hurt society.

And TV is a good counterexample. Previously TV was the mindless, repetitive entertainment form and that's not true anymore. And even if TV became that way again, there's still the good, "original" content from the Golden Age if people want to find it. 
    MichelleMurderbear
    JaimieT said:
    rhcoop said:
    ken hale said:

People don't have to be asking for it. They know the name. When you're standing outside the theater with your whole extended family on Christmas and it's the Home Alone reboot and some other movies, you go with the family movie, Home Alone, featuring some comedian the adults like. Because Grandma doesn't want superheroes.
    I think Hollywood has gotten extremely lazy and displayed a big lack of creativity in the last 10 years or so.  Disney remaking their original 90's animated movies is a good example  of this.  

Are any of the remakes of fairly recent properties (10-20 years) actually that successful?  Other than the Disney animated ones, which remakes in the last 4-5 years have really made money past the first weekend?

I don't believe in the if you build it they will come argument, but that is just my opinion from seeing recent history. 
  • I mean, spiderman homecoming was a reboot of a movie from the last 20 years and it made bank. 

Apart from marvel and disney, I can't really think of other reboots of properties that are 20ish years old or less. Remember everyone, Home Alone came out in 1990, 30 years ago - we old. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    The cop that checks on the house - T1000
    You mean Davey!?

cdrive
    asmallcat said:
    I mean, spiderman homecoming was a reboot of a movie from the last 20 years and it made bank. 

Apart from marvel and disney, I can't really think of other reboots of properties that are 20ish years old or less. Remember everyone, Home Alone came out in 1990, 30 years ago - we old. 
    I wouldn't use Spider-man as an example of a remake/reboot in this discussion. That's a comic property that is almost 60 years old and has had multiple movie franchises, toys, cartoons and TV shows besides the comics.  That's like calling the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy as a remake of Batman.  Those characters will be around long after we are gone, I don't think the Home Alone trilogy is in the same stratosphere as the other two. 

I'm thinking about reboots or remakes like the A-team, Dukes of Hazard, ghostbusters, starksy and hutch or any of the other recycled properties Hollywood has trotted out the last 10-15 years.  I just don't think there is a demand for these types of things and people are burned out on them.  

If this turns out to be a sequel with the OG character primarily involved as someone else suggested, it could be interesting.  But, if this is a straight up remake, I don't see it doing well. 
  • rhcoop said:
    asmallcat said:
    I mean, spiderman homecoming was a reboot of a movie from the last 20 years and it made bank. 

I wouldn't use Spider-man as an example of a remake/reboot in this discussion. That's a comic property that is almost 60 years old and has had multiple movie franchises, toys, cartoons and TV shows besides the comics.  That's like calling the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy as a remake of Batman.  Those characters will be around long after we are gone, I don't think the Home Alone trilogy is in the same stratosphere as the other two. 

I'm thinking about reboots or remakes like the A-team, Dukes of Hazard, ghostbusters, starksy and hutch or any of the other recycled properties Hollywood has trotted out the last 10-15 years.  I just don't think there is a demand for these types of things and people are burned out on them.  

If this turns out to be a sequel with the OG character primarily involved as someone else suggested, it could be interesting.  But, if this is a straight up remake, I don't see it doing well. 
    OHHHH you meant reboots that came out in the last 20 years, not reboots that had an entry within the last 20 years before the reboot. My bad. 
    rhcoop
    edited August 9