Double D's move to Netflix

Not sure if anyone has linked this yet but it looks like the Double D's won't be short of funds for their future projects : https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/aug/08/game-of-thrones-creators-join-netflix-for-star-wars-trilogy-benioff-weiss

Travis

Comments

• I'll be curious to see what kind of content they put out on Netflix.  I was one of the few that didn't have much of a problem with season 8 so this is really intriguing to me.
    bazjensterTravis
  • awookiee said:
    I'll be curious to see what kind of content they put out on Netflix.  I was one of the few that didn't have much of a problem with season 8 so this is really intriguing to me.
    I could see the faults but enjoyed it anyway so I am looking forward to seeing where this goes too.. 
    awookieeTravis
  • edited August 8
    If Netflix waited till after their first star wars movie it would have been a lot cheaper ...
    CapeGabeElisabazjensterblacksunrise7
  • It's interesting, but I guess it all comes down to what they do. It's easy to forget, and like A.Ron said all the time, they were put in a pretty tough spot on GoT (and I actually did enjoy myself watching the last 2 seasons though I pretty successfully declared fan bankruptcy). I kind of wish they were jumping straight into their own thing instead of doing Star Wars next (though, who could blame them) so we could really see what they would do if they were truly just doing their own thing. I'm curious, and I'll follow whatever it is that they do. It's not like if Mike Schur or Damon Lindelof do something where I'm instantly really excited at the notion of them making something new, but I have a positive affinity for them and I'm curious.
    bazjenster
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Let’s also recall that when they were real good, they had GRRM’s books to follow. 
    TravisCapeGabebazjenster
  • If their next project ends the 1st season with Ned being beheaded then we'll know something is up. 
    bazjensterTulipblossomElisa
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Hopefully it's not "Confederate"
    TravisbazjensterTulipblossomken haleElisablacksunrise7BroRad33
  • Seems to me that their strengths are adaptation of existing works and managing big productions. If they stick with adapting stuff, then they could be really good.

If they’ve drank enough of their own koolaide to think they can do original content without the heavy involvement of great writers, then they could crash and burn spectacularly.

I’m scared for their Staw Wats project, but hopefully Disney can force enough writing depth into the process that it comes out well.
    Travisbazjenster
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited August 9
    Elisa said:
    Let’s also recall that when they were real good, they had GRRM’s books to follow. 
    They don't get nearly enough credit. A lot of the best parts of the show were a direct result of the Double D's making changes to the primary work. They are also amazing at writing scenes with two people in a room talking to each other. There was a ton of fantastic micro-level writing in the last few seasons even if the macro-level stuff was garbage. And also let's not forget the primary material they're trying to adapt is such a shitshow that it's taken 42 years in between books with no end in sight. What if the biggest problem with the last couple seasons was that they were trying to adapt a turd?

I'm all in for at least the next thing they do. Star Wars is perfect since there are so many people involved in the process to make up for any deficiencies they may have.
    bazjensterasmallcat
  •  Benioff is also a good writer. He wrote The 25th Hour and then the screenplay for Spike Lee's adaptation of it, which is a really fantastic movie. And I've heard his other novel is good too.

And like others have said, don't dismiss the skill it took to adapt GRRM's books - seasons 1-4 were fantastic and that wasn't an easy task.
    bazjenster
  • It pisses me off they cancel probably the most original show I've ever seen (The OA) while giving these phonies several 100s of millions of dollars. Outside of Stranger Things Netflix has kind of been a disappointment of late.
    CapeGabeElisablacksunrise7
  • I imagine it would be really weird if they did some awesome and thoughtful empathic shows that I really like. There would always be that GOT elephant in the room (the one the golden company left behind) and I would be anxious all the time when they drop the ball. Might be an ineresting viewing experience though.

bazjenster
  • It pisses me off they cancel probably the most original show I've ever seen (The OA) while giving these phonies several 100s of millions of dollars. Outside of Stranger Things Netflix has kind of been a disappointment of late.
    I'm also disappointed they cancelled The OA, it was one interesting and crazy ride and they ended season 2 absolutely wide open.  
    Elisablacksunrise7
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Yes, I haven't been thrilled with Netflix fare of late, so I have cancelled.  The OA was so good and different.  It doesn't surprise me that Netflix cancelled the show which saddens me to no end.  Netflix is highly overleveraged in debt and is offloading niche/creative shows so that they can battle with the big guns - Disney Plus, HBO Max, and NBCUNI.  We are in for some interesting days ahead.