fantasy football draft order advice

I got into fantasy football last year and the one league that I run I decided that I was going to let the winner of the league pick what position they want to draft in the following year, the 2nd place person gets the 2nd choice of where they draft and so on and so forth.  Well last year I actually did really well and took 2nd place so now I'm in the debate of where should I place myself in the draft order.  Any opinions on what you would choose and why would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    awookiee said:
    I got into fantasy football last year and the one league that I run I decided that I was going to let the winner of the league pick what position they want to draft in the following year, the 2nd place person gets the 2nd choice of where they draft and so on and so forth.  Well last year I actually did really well and took 2nd place so now I'm in the debate of where should I place myself in the draft order.  Any opinions on what you would choose and why would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
    if you don't get the first pick, I would suggest being 4-5th if its a 10-12 team league.  Being stuck on the ends can be hard unless you have the first pick IMO. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Given Zekes potential hold out and the assumption Barkley will go first I agree with maybe 4th or 5th. If the Zeke situation gets sorted before the draft then maybe you take 2nd and snag him. But if not you can get someone like McCraffrey or Kamara at 4 if it’s PPR. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    PPR id say it’s Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, McCaffrey. If it looks like Zeke will hold out then you might even want to take the 3rd pick. 
  • I should have clarified some of the details... It's a standard (no ppr) 8 team league with 1qb, 3rb, 3wr,1te,1flex,1d/st. 

My thought process is going 3rd if Zeke holds out and 4th if Zeke doesn't hold out.  I think I want one of the top running backs (barkley, kamara, mccaffrey, elliott) and I personally don't think David Johnson is in the same category as those 4.
    Hatorian
    I think picking there should be safe.

I'd go with 3 RB's in the first 5 rounds, but that is because how often they touch the ball.  I wouldn't even touch a QB or TE before you fill your 3 rb, 3 wr and flex spots, but that is me. 
    awookieeHatorian
  • rhcoop said:
    I think picking there should be safe.

I'd go with 3 RB's in the first 5 rounds, but that is because how often they touch the ball.  I wouldn't even touch a QB or TE before you fill your 3 rb, 3 wr and flex spots, but that is me. 
    I agree with the no QB and given you have 7 slots for RBs and WRs I also recommend going heavy on those. But if you can get one of Ertz, Kittle or Kelce at a decent round I’d pull the trigger. Those are the only 3 I’d say are worth drafting before round 8. Otherwise you should be able to get someone like Njuko in the 8th or 9th after you filled up. 
    rhcoop
  • I personally almost always stream a QB throughout the season unless someone I like drops far down the draft board.  And I play very similar in that regard for TEs unless one of the top 3 (Kelce, Kittle, Ertz) drop far enough I'll take someone with a much later pick. 

Here's my other mental note, most leagues are a 12 man league with the standard roster (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1D/ST), our league is an 8 team league with that except 1 extra RB and WR which equals out to be the same exact number of starters of WR and RB as a standard 12 team league (24RBs and 24WRs).  
    awookiee said:
    I personally almost always stream a QB throughout the season unless someone I like drops far down the draft board.  And I play very similar in that regard for TEs unless one of the top 3 (Kelce, Kittle, Ertz) drop far enough I'll take someone with a much later pick. 

Here's my other mental note, most leagues are a 12 man league with the standard roster (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1D/ST), our league is an 8 team league with that except 1 extra RB and WR which equals out to be the same exact number of starters of WR and RB as a standard 12 team league (24RBs and 24WRs).  
    With a league that small I would HEAVILY lean on picking RB's in the 1st 4 rounds.  I'd shoot for 3 RB's in the first 4 and then pepper in WR's.  

Some unknown or rookie WR always breaks out during the season and it's always important to have a lot of stud RB's IMO. 
    awookiee
  • Listening to Bill Simmons podcast with Matthew Berry and I’m a big fan of Bill Simmons but what a dick talking about how people who do snake drafts and PPR are losers. Like it might have been funny if he mentioned it once given his preference for auction but to literally call people losers 5 times in the podcast is just uncalled for. Way to talk shit about 90% of your fanbase...
  • There’s nothing smarter about being in an auction league. I’ve done auction leagues where people have spent more than half their salary on 2 players allowing others to basically steal players for below market value as people run out of money and are forced into $1 players to fill out 90% of their roster. The only cool thing about auction leagues is everyone has a shot at any player so the luck of where you draft is gone. But the big money leagues I’ve been in have been running for over a decade and the draft is snake but it’s decided on previous years record. Which is actually more like a real league than auction is. 
  • Anyways I’m getting too worked up about this. But honestly it’s pretty shitty to support a dude’s podcast for years and then he calls you a loser for not playing fantasy the same way he does.