Rocko’s Modern Life Static Cling

This is kind of a premature topic, as I just found this exists (another failure of Netflix marketing?) and haven’t yet watched it, but holy crap am I excited. Rocko’s been on my mind a lot lately; while doing the Rick and Morty dive recently I became nostalgic for this show as I consider it to be, by far, the best iteration of the “children’s show with a strong undercurrent of adult cynicism and satire” genre. The old episodes still aren’t back on netflix for some reason, but I’m probably gonna search them out as well after catching this revival. Anybody else have fond memories of this wallaby and/or have you seen the new movie?
bazjenster

Comments

• ken hale said:
    This is kind of a premature topic, as I just found this exists (another failure of Netflix marketing?) and haven’t yet watched it, but holy crap am I excited. Rocko’s been on my mind a lot lately; while doing the Rick and Morty dive recently I became nostalgic for this show as I consider it to be, by far, the best iteration of the “children’s show with a strong undercurrent of adult cynicism and satire” genre. The old episodes still aren’t back on netflix for some reason, but I’m probably gonna search them out as well after catching this revival. Anybody else have fond memories of this wallaby and/or have you seen the new movie?
    Thanks for the heads up, I loved the original back in the day :) 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Damn. It's only a 45 minute long movie! I was hoping for a small series at least! Definitely going to watch this this weekend at some point.
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I absolutely loved this show growing up. This interview with the creator from a while back gave me a whole new appreciation:

It wasn’t really until the corporate machine started building up with Nickelodeon — at the time, it was kind of a different mentality of, suddenly we have to be earning the right kind of money with the right kind of sponsors. It started to become that we’re not hitting the 6- to- 11-year-olds as strong as we like, and I was like, “Maybe it’s time to rest up. We’ve done a lot of good stuff here, and maybe we shouldn’t mess with it.” The household numbers were still really good.
    ken hale
    I watched it over the weekend and it was pretty good but if you don't have nostalgia for Rocko I don't think it's going to do much for you. It was mostly just nice to see all these characters again and remember how much I loved this show growing up.
  • I wish they'd do a similar follow-up for Rugrats :D 
    Dee
  • I watched it over the weekend and it was pretty good but if you don't have nostalgia for Rocko I don't think it's going to do much for you. It was mostly just nice to see all these characters again and remember how much I loved this show growing up.
    You're definitely right about this having limited appeal.  I did enjoy it, particularly the first, I don't know, third or so, when it was reliant less on plot and more on fast-paced jokes and visual gags.  It was very cool seeing that the tone , humor, and style hadn't missed a beat.  I thought it lagged a little as the plot started driving it more, but the meta-commentary on fandom and rebooted properties was nice.

Tangentially, there were quite a few jabs at computer as opposed to hand-drawn animation, and I was wondering if that's a thing I wasn't aware of, like are most cartoons nowadays not hand-drawn?
    bizmarkiefader
    ken hale said:
    I watched it over the weekend and it was pretty good but if you don't have nostalgia for Rocko I don't think it's going to do much for you. It was mostly just nice to see all these characters again and remember how much I loved this show growing up.
    You're definitely right about this having limited appeal.  I did enjoy it, particularly the first, I don't know, third or so, when it was reliant less on plot and more on fast-paced jokes and visual gags.  It was very cool seeing that the tone , humor, and style hadn't missed a beat.  I thought it lagged a little as the plot started driving it more, but the meta-commentary on fandom and rebooted properties was nice.

Tangentially, there were quite a few jabs at computer as opposed to hand-drawn animation, and I was wondering if that's a thing I wasn't aware of, like are most cartoons nowadays not hand-drawn?

Most cartoons haven't been hand drawn for a long time, it's so much easier to animate on the computer. I think at this point even Disney cartoons aren't hand drawn anymore. There are still some out there I'm sure but I couldn't tell you which ones, maybe some Miyazaki movies or stuff like that?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 18
    Rocko was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I remember specifically loving it because of all the "adult" problems Rocko dealt with. Seemed so ahead of its time when it came out. Is there another kids show anyone can think of that was centered around adult main characters just sort of living? Spongebob, maybe?
    @Freddy Angry Beavers is the other one that comes to mind. That show rules
    FreddyCecily
  • This movie was a perfect continuation of the Rocko's Modern Life brand. Plenty of higher-level humor that only adults would get, and plenty of sexual innuendo that only adults would get. All of this is packaged in a well-animated, fable-like movie.

It's a tight 45 minutes, and I would recommend it to all as a well-made, junk-food show.

ken hale