The Righteous Gemstones (Spoiler thread)

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited August 26 in Other TV
Did anyone watch? Episode 1 was fantastic. I really hope this at least gets some Bald Move TV coverage. Danny McBride making a dark comedy about religion starring himself and John Goodman?? Hell yes. I'm in for this wild ride!
DeeCretanBullFreddycdriveChinaski

Comments

• I haven't seen it yet, but I'm a huge John Goodman fan so I'll get to it soon!
    Murderbear
  • I'm gonna check it out before Friday and it will get some kind of coverage on BMTV.  Definitely excited for it.
    MurderbearFreddyTulipblossomcdriveChinaski
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yes! I think you guys will eat this up.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Did anyone watch? Episode 1 was fantastic. I really hope this at least gets some Bald Move TV coverage. Danny McBride making a dark comedy about religion starring himself and John Goodman?? Hell yes. I'm in for this wild ride!
    Thanks for reminding me. I’m all in. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    and as we all know @Jim is a HUGE Danny McBride fan  :D. can't wait for coverage on this!
  • This was fantastic, but of course it was going to be, right?  I think I'll personally prefer this show to McBride's two previous ones, if only because he's finally punching up, so to speak, with his satirical edge.  I like the hour-long format, too, because it allows for more heartfelt moments amidst the comedy.  There were a couple scenes in particular that felt like an honest examination of faith.  And, oh man, that last scene in the parking lot left me laughing so hard I snorted.
    Murderbear
    I am a sucker for Danny McBride. I thought Vice Principals was brilliant and criminally underrated. And Eastbound and Down is a masterpiece. (Maybe not season 3 as much but 1&2 for sure) I don't disagree with the criticism though that he tends to be Kenny Powers in every single role, but I sure as hell love that role! He does it better than anyone.
    Chinaskiken hale
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    I am a sucker for Danny McBride. I thought Vice Principals was brilliant and criminally underrated. And Eastbound and Down is a masterpiece. (Maybe not season 3 as much but 1&2 for sure) I don't disagree with the criticism though that he tends to be Kenny Powers in every single role, but I sure as hell love that role! He does it better than anyone.
    i have a soft spot for McBride as well. i think it's cause he reminds me alot of the super asshole friend of the group i hung with growing up (esp in This Is the End). he's also seems like a pretty cool guy when he's not in character, like in interviews and whatnot.
    Murderbearken hale
  • McBride's got a unique comedic voice, for sure, with the creative role he plays in these television projects.  I think I read somewhere that he calls this his "misunderstood angry man" trilogy or something.  I don't know about that so much, but I don't feel that his characters are all the same.  There's some subtlety to the roles.  I only watched season 1 of Eastbound but in Vice Principals he seemed to show more emotional vulnerability.  Don't know about Gemstones yet, but I'm optimistic about how it will deal with spiritual questions.
    ChinaskiMurderbear
  • Finally caught up with this and really enjoyed the first episode! It's a great cast and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it. Danny McBride really has a unique ability to play a total asshole who you just can't hate, and who you even find yourself rooting for. I think he's quite a talent not just onscreen, but also in writing and directing.
    Murderbear
    ken hale said:
    McBride's got a unique comedic voice, for sure, with the creative role he plays in these television projects.  I think I read somewhere that he calls this his "misunderstood angry man" trilogy or something.  I don't know about that so much, but I don't feel that his characters are all the same.  There's some subtlety to the roles.  I only watched season 1 of Eastbound but in Vice Principals he seemed to show more emotional vulnerability.  Don't know about Gemstones yet, but I'm optimistic about how it will deal with spiritual questions.
    Season 2 of Eastbound and Down is the best one. Kenny Powers in Mexico is amazing.
    Chinaskiken hale
    Kind of thought that last twist was coming but it was still interesting. I like how they sort of threw you off earlier in the episode with a different name.

One question I do have is that rattlesnake in Eli's house. Was that real? I guess it's not out of the question but it just seemed odd it was just chillin there. It felt more symbolic than anything.
    I really hope people are sticking with this show. I am loving the hell out if it and last night's episode was great!
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 9
    First off: Where the fuck is my nearest Club Sinister!? That place looks like my kind of fun.

Second: HBO better add a Faith Factor shirt to their merch shop or I'm getting one made.

Third: Has anyone ever scene a Spiritual Collection Unit in the flesh? I live around a ton of megachurches and even do business with one, and have never seen an SCU trailer. Surely they exist.
    MurderbearMarciken haleMofojones333
  • It's continuing to be really funny. Edi Patterson is hilarious as Judy Gemstone. She was great in Vice Principals too. Just heard her on Marc Maron's WTF podcast and she gave a terrific, fun interview. I also laugh every time Keefe is on screen. Everything about that guy is just so funny.
    Murderbear
    edited September 9
    By the way, did anyone catch who played Dot's mom? None other than Trump's second ex-wife/first confirmed mistress, Marla Maples.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    They announced that HBO has picked them up for a 2nd season. 
    FreddyMurderbearken halehisdudeness915
    Awesome!
    Freddy said:
    By the way, did anyone catch who played Dot's mom? None other than Trump's second ex-wife/first confirmed mistress, Marla Maples.
    Wow! She looked familiar to me but I didn't really think much about it. Nice catch!
  • Yeah, this show continues to be great.  I'm finding it more interesting that they aren't taking the easy route by making the characters' faith a total scam.  Kelvin obviously believes his power of faith act and Jesse has at least one moment where he seems to be kind of surprised he believes the lines about marriage that he's rotely giving to that other couple.  Couple those scenes with some magnificent comedy like "Them's just some fellas I play car pranks with," and you've got a real winner of a comedy program here.
    Murderbear
    ken hale said:
    Yeah, this show continues to be great.  I'm finding it more interesting that they aren't taking the easy route by making the characters' faith a total scam.  Kelvin obviously believes his power of faith act and Jesse has at least one moment where he seems to be kind of surprised he believes the lines about marriage that he's rotely giving to that other couple.  Couple those scenes with some magnificent comedy like "Them's just some fellas I play car pranks with," and you've got a real winner of a comedy program here.
    I like that they are legit badasses. Black belts, weapon skills, driving skills, and they don't take any shit. Makes it all the more interesting. 
    ken hale
  • I normally have a hard time getting into these Danny McBride shows but this is probably the show I look forward to most every week since it started
    ken hale
    edited September 16
    Best show on TV (other than Succession, of course).

On a related note, one of my best friends asked me this last week: "so if I start watching Justified, does that mean I get more Baby Billy in my life!?"
    Murderbear
    Justified is a show I've never watched and have always wanted to give a try. Pretty much on Walton Goggins alone. I like Timothy Olyphant too. Hell, I live in Kentucky and have known people with alleged ties to some of that gangster shit in Eastern Kentucky. So I don't know why I haven't yet.
  • Justified is a show I've never watched and have always wanted to give a try. Pretty much on Walton Goggins alone. I like Timothy Olyphant too. Hell, I live in Kentucky and have known people with alleged ties to some of that gangster shit in Eastern Kentucky. So I don't know why I haven't yet.
    Get to it!

Its an awesome show....kinda took a bit to stick for me, the first season was kind of meh....But damn....it got good. one of my top shows just for pure entertainment value....Walton and Olyphant have awesome chemistry.

Murderbear
    Brett68 said:
    Justified is a show I've never watched and have always wanted to give a try. Pretty much on Walton Goggins alone. I like Timothy Olyphant too. Hell, I live in Kentucky and have known people with alleged ties to some of that gangster shit in Eastern Kentucky. So I don't know why I haven't yet.
    Get to it!

Its an awesome show....kinda took a bit to stick for me, the first season was kind of meh....But damn....it got good. one of my top shows just for pure entertainment value....Walton and Olyphant have awesome chemistry.

Not to mention Dewey Cox's dad:

Murderbear
    Wrong kid died!
    CecilyMofojones333FlukesFreddy
    That song was so good
    Freddy
  • Is there anything we're supposed to know already about what eventually happens to Baby Billy's kid? I couldn't place him in the modern day setting and I don't remember if they've brought him up before.