Pour one out for Andrew Luck and ARon

Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck abruptly retired yesterday, at the very early age for a QB of 29 years old. Could have been one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and was truly great when he played. But the previous front office ruined his career by not building an offensive line that could protect him. He took an astounding amount of hits as a result, and has retired citing loss of passion for the game due to spending basically the last 5 years rehabbing various injuries. One of the biggest what-ifs in NFL history, seemed like a surefire future Hall of Famer from the day he was drafted.

Comments

• True that, as glamorous as the NFL seems at times these people put their bodies on the line and he's had nothing but injury issues lately.  I don't blame the guy and I'm real curious to see what the Colts do for a QB this season.  

Image result for pour out beer gif
  • awookiee said:
     I'm real curious to see what the Colts do for a QB this season.  

Image result for pour out beer gif
    Maybe they'll sign Colin Kaepernick?

Just kidding, Jim Irsay apparently has expressed displeasure with anthem protests.  Makes sense...you can get arrested for DWI and drug possession and still be an owner in this league, but if you have a political stance you're banned.
    cdriveNoelmylifeaskirk
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Me and my friends were over halfway into our fantasy draft when we saw the news. Dynasty league at that, so we only draft rookies and free agents. Poor guy who had Luck was already struggling to rebuild his franchise. QB was about the only thing he had.
    ken hale
    @Louballs77 It's pretty funny when you think about. The Colts failed their QB so much that it literally made him abandon his dream. 
    Louballs77
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Freddy said:
    Me and my friends were over halfway into our fantasy draft when we saw the news. Dynasty league at that, so we only draft rookies and free agents. Poor guy who had Luck was already struggling to rebuild his franchise. QB was about the only thing he had.
    I drafted him on Friday night. After last season was over, I thought the Colts were the favorite to win the division and would compete for the AFC title. Just goes to show how quickly things can change in the NFL. This is WILD. Can’t wait to hear the Ringer guys talk about it.
  • Even more shocking than Barry Sanders's sudden retirement for me.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Even more shocking than Barry Sanders's sudden retirement for me.
    I think that could be recency bias talking.  Luck is good, but he's nowhere close the superstar that Sanders was.  

It was a BIG deal Sanders retired and he'd had none of the injury problems Luck has had.  This wasn't a shock to me, he's not been healthy in years.  The timing of the announcement was terrible, someone in the Colts org should get in major hot water for letting that leak during a home preseason game.

I still think he may be back in a few years once he feels healthy again and isn't constantly hurting. 
  • Freddy said:
    Maybe you can change the scoring system to give him points each week for "Health and Well-Being?"
    CapeGabe
  • rhcoop said:
    I think that could be recency bias talking.  Luck is good, but he's nowhere close the superstar that Sanders was.  

It was a BIG deal Sanders retired and he'd had none of the injury problems Luck has had.  This wasn't a shock to me, he's not been healthy in years.  The timing of the announcement was terrible, someone in the Colts org should get in major hot water for letting that leak during a home preseason game.

I still think he may be back in a few years once he feels healthy again and isn't constantly hurting. 
    Reminds me of Robert Smith's retirement from the Vikings. Though he wasn't as prominent as Luck, he'd just had his best year the previous season and retired suddenly to pursue a career in medicine.  I always remembered that, but honestly I had to look up his name.  I imagine Jim Brown retiring would've been fairly shocking at the time.
    awookiee
  • rhcoop said:

You may be right about him coming back once his health clears up.  As I recall, there was some rumbling between Sanders and Detroit management that hinted at him hanging it up, even though it was still a humongous shock.  And a shame, I saw him play in college, and he's still the most electrifying running back I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. 

rhcoop
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i think the shock is mostly of the timing. had he announced this in the off-season i think it would have still been shocking, but nothing near as much as it happening during a pre-season game they were playing a few weeks before the start of the season. i mean, people kinda just shrugged and moved on when Gronk announced his early retirement.

all these people giving him shit and fans booing is really classless. he can do what he wants, and if he wants to put his health and family first, i salute him.
    Noel
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I think this will become a trend over the next decade, especially with players with a history of injuries. CTE is super dangerous and these players are beginning to realize that with the right networking, you can be just as successful if not more so after their career is over. Good on them for putting their family and health first
    kojiattwoodNoel
    I think this will become a trend over the next decade, especially with players with a history of injuries. CTE is super dangerous and these players are beginning to realize that with the right networking, you can be just as successful if not more so after their career is over. Good on them for putting their family and health first
    I think the helmet tech will continue to improve and the NFL does a much better job with the concussion protocol now so I don't have the opinion that we will see a mass exodus of players retiring early. 

Think of the ones that have walked away recently, none of them could stay healthy for a full season.  Luck has played a full season in years, Gronk gets hurt getting out of bed, Jordy Nelson couldn't come back after an ACL tear and a lot of the other guys just didn't have any gas left in the tank. Just check out that 2019 retirement list. 

Then think of the guys still playing or have came out of retirement.  Brady will play into his 50's at this point, Manning probably would have too without that crazy neck injury, Witten (another Vol) has come out of retirement because he's really, really bad at color commentary and even Josh McNown got off the couch to take a gig.  Many of these guys don't have a history of injuries.  

IMO its more a story of guys whose bodies break down and decide to hang up the cleats than the sky is falling and the sport is doomed in 15-20 years. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    rhcoop said:
    I think the helmet tech will continue to improve and the NFL does a much better job with the concussion protocol now so I don't have the opinion that we will see a mass exodus of players retiring early.

The helmets don't protect against concussions very well, mostly they protect against skull fractures and impact injuries and that's where most of the improvements have been. This is something the NFL is extremely happy to muddle up and give the impression the concussion problem is getting better. It's been a while since I read about it but if I remember right the NFLPA is complicit in this as well, they and the league strike deals with helmet manufacturers that lead to extremely convenient rules about which helmets you can or can't wear under the guise of "safety" and I think this is one of the things Antonio Brown was so upset about (in that specific case though the tests are not very flattering to his chosen helmet)

The study found that football helmets on average reduced the risk of traumatic brain injury by only 20 percent compared to not wearing a helmet. Of the 10 helmet brands tested, the Adams a2000 provided the best protection against concussion and the Schutt Air Advantage the worst. Overall, the Riddell 360 provided the most protection against closed head injury and the Adams a2000 the least, despite rating the best against concussion.

“Alarmingly, those that offered the least protection are among the most popular on the field,” said Conidi. “Biomechanics researchers have long understood that rotational forces, not linear forces, are responsible for serious brain damage including concussion, brain injury complications and brain bleeds. Yet generations of football and other sports participants have been under the assumption that their brains are protected by their investment in headwear protection.”

The study found that football helmets provided protection from linear impacts, or those leading to bruising and skull fracture. Compared to tests using dummies with no helmets, leading football helmets reduced the risk of skull fracture by 60 to 70 percent and reduced the risk of focal brain tissue bruising by 70 to 80 percent.

The study was supported by BRAINS, Inc., a research and development company based in San Antonio, Fla., focused on biomechanics of traumatic brain injury.

The helmets don't protect against concussions very well, mostly they protect against skull fractures and impact injuries and that's where most of the improvements have been. This is something the NFL is extremely happy to muddle up and give the impression the concussion problem is getting better. It's been a while since I read about it but if I remember right the NFLPA is complicit in this as well, they and the league strike deals with helmet manufacturers that lead to extremely convenient rules about which helmets you can or can't wear under the guise of "safety" and I think this is one of the things Antonio Brown was so upset about (in that specific case though the tests are not very flattering to his chosen helmet)

That's why I mentioned the helmets will continue to improve.  The helmets they have now are definitely better than what they had 15 years ago when DB's where using them as battering rams and spears to knock each other out of the game. 

With all the rule changes for player safety we've had in the last 5-8 years, I think we are starting to drift into conspiracy land if we don't think they want their players to be as safe as they can be while playing such a violent game. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    What are the odds Andrew goes to the XFL?? Ha! I was just listening to The Daily Zeitgeist podcast and I had no idea that his father is the CEO of the XFL. Can you imagine how insane that would be?

(Also, I don't really follow sports anymore so this is probably a thing everyone already knew)
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 27
    Robert Smith and Jim Brown are the only players with statistically better seasons before retirement than Andrew Luck.

And honestly, I think there's a limit to what can be done with helmets, unless they were willing to swap helmets out after plays (crumple zones).  That energy goes somewhere, no matter how great your helmet is when you get hit, your head's going to move unless the energy dissipates some other way.  I've often heard it argued that rugby is actually safer because the lack of a helmet leads to safer tackling technique away from the head - though obviously accidental clashing of heads in a scrum or something can't be good.  
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    rhcoop said:

That's why I mentioned the helmets will continue to improve.  The helmets they have now are definitely better than what they had 15 years ago when DB's where using them as battering rams and spears to knock each other out of the game. 

With all the rule changes for player safety we've had in the last 5-8 years, I think we are starting to drift into conspiracy land if we don't think they want their players to be as safe as they can be while playing such a violent game. 

The helmets are not that much safer in regards to concussions which is one of the main issues that's affecting players as they age. It's very much not a conspiracy theory that playing football will fuck with your body and mind as you age, regardless of whether we all wish that wasn't the case. As safe as they can be is never going to be safe, but there will probably always be people willing to put themselves through it for lots of reasons. I'm not saying it hasn't gotten better but it's not like people getting their heads constantly smashed into things is going to be safe just because we're aware of how dangerous it is and we're trying to find ways to mitigate it.
    edited September 1
    They really need to invent a helmet that cushions the gap between your brain and the inside of your skull.
    Probably wouldn't hurt to cram some padding in the folds and crevices while we're at it.
    ken halegguenot
  • Maybe the helmets could have built in cooler units to freeze the brain a bit and prevent all that harmful jiggling. 
    CapeGabe
  • I wouldn’t have booed him but I’m definitely booing this season as a colts fan  :#  It’s going to be another rough one. 

Luck’s a really smart guy and I’m sure he’ll land a important purpose elsewhere. 
    Freddy
    ken hale said:
    Maybe the helmets could have built in cooler units to freeze the brain a bit and prevent all that harmful jiggling. 
    Harmful jiggling is the cornerstone of U.S. economics, Ken!