Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
wow! he went heavy and i'm still trying to process it. i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• I have to watch it again. Initial thoughts were it was the weakest of his Netflix specials but even his weak is still good. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My thought is that he is a fucking terrible person. 
    JaimieThisdudeness915blacksunrise7mylifeaskirk
  • That sounds promising.
  • Ive never flipped so hard on someone as I have Chappelle. It was borderline hero-worship through my early twenties and it’s been go-away-heat ever since.
    Dee
  • I thought it was funny, but his bit about Michael Jackson was pretty indefensible. Of all the hills to die on, the "MJ didn't molest kids and who cares if he did" hill seems like an odd choice.  
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 27
    ken hale said:
    Ive never flipped so hard on someone as I have Chappelle. It was borderline hero-worship through my early twenties and it’s been go-away-heat ever since.
    Comedians seems to hit middle age and the bitterness that once seemed edgy just overwhelms them. 
    ken halesbench2
  • edited August 28
    Ya, it's easily the best of the three. And the funniest part is watching all the outrage trolls trying to pretend "it's not even funny." :lol:
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ya, it's easily the best of the three. And the funniest part is watching all the outrage trolls trying to pretend "it's not even funny." :lol:
    Yes, finding making fun of child rape victims and domestic abuse victims unfunny is such outrage trolling. 

It says a hell of a lot more about him and his fans than it does about those “outrage trolling”. 
    Cecilyblacksunrise7hisdudeness915alexander.klassenBloodyTacoBrieanne
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We just finished it.  This was some black comedy broccoli I’m not gonna lie - mixed emotions.  It’s pretty heavy stuff he threw comedy at. I cringed at moments I laughed at moments. 
  • I was put off by one of the last ones so I’m not even gonna bother with this one. I remember laughing quite a bit and then IIRC he starting making fun of LGBTQ people and it was *crickets* and he never won me back and I felt guilty for even continuing to watch. Not sure if that’s his usual schtick because I was never really into him back in the day. But either way, as far as watching him now, nope, I’m good. 
    Deepodcartfan
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 28
    I was put off by one of the last ones so I’m not even gonna bother with this one. I remember laughing quite a bit and then IIRC he starting making fun of LGBTQ people and it was *crickets* and he never won me back and I felt guilty for even continuing to watch. Not sure if that’s his usual schtick because I was never really into him back in the day. But either way, as far as watching him now, nope, I’m good. 

Yeah, I heard something about him calling it "the letters," and, wait wut? Is that the side you want to be on? Then in an interview he mentions he has gay friends... Damn, that's out of touch. 

I really am all for freedom in comedy, but we're all free to call it lazy comedy. I enjoy edgy comedy but the jokes need to be good, otherwise GTFO. That's the risk you take. "The letters" isn't, on its own, funny because you're just reminding us its not quite an acronym, or a failed acronym, and that's probably giving it too much credit. If you distill something down and don't come out with a joke you're just belittling, and if it's a sensitive topic you deserve what you get.
    Deeblacksunrise7
  • can't defend what he said. though i also dont think he believes half of what he actually said. feel like most of it was written (in poor judgement) as a bit to see how many people he could piss off and how people who react to this new special. 
  • I thought it was a OK comedy special , laughed at 70 % of it and wasn't offended by anything he said . I really don't believe you can be offended by jokes . Just my opinion 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Not even going to bother with it. The only thing I found funny about the last specials was his recurring bit about meeting OJ Simpson.

He’s got a real hang up about anything that isn’t heteronormative that just gets dull and feels a million years old rather than the edgy that he’s clearly going for. Thank you, next.
    blacksunrise7Dee
  • mft9186 said:
    I thought it was a OK comedy special , laughed at 70 % of it and wasn't offended by anything he said . I really don't believe you can be offended by jokes . Just my opinion 
    It’s a complicated conversation. this is where human beings need to use their brain power. I can understand where people would easily get offended by his set. But I also understand that they don’t need to watch it or take it seriously. The ultimate question is where do we draw the line on hate speech? When does it go from being a joke to being a weapon? 

blacksunrise7
  • Hatorian said:
    mft9186 said:
    I thought it was a OK comedy special , laughed at 70 % of it and wasn't offended by anything he said . I really don't believe you can be offended by jokes . Just my opinion 
    It’s a complicated conversation. this is where human beings need to use their brain power. I can understand where people would easily get offended by his set. But I also understand that they don’t need to watch it or take it seriously. The ultimate question is where do we draw the line on hate speech? When does it go from being a joke to being a weapon? 

Maybe my opinion is little skewed by listening to too many comedians on podcasts but I really believe that comedians are just going after the joke , they're not trying to offend anyone they just want to make people laugh.  Its up to the audience to decide if that joke worked or not , and people were laughing so maybe we need to judge them first ? 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    mft9186 said:
    Hatorian said:
    mft9186 said:

Maybe my opinion is little skewed by listening to too many comedians on podcasts but I really believe that comedians are just going after the joke , they're not trying to offend anyone they just want to make people laugh.  Its up to the audience to decide if that joke worked or not , and people were laughing so maybe we need to judge them first ? 
    I think in a broad sense you are right but specifically with Dave, people criticized why the language he was using was wrong and he just keeps doubling down on it. It sucks. I have always been a huge fan of his but it's getting harder and harder to want to watch. He is a genius joke writer but his punching down on certain people just feels needless and mean.
    DeeFlukesBloodyTacoblacksunrise7
  • Ya, it's easily the best of the three. And the funniest part is watching all the outrage trolls trying to pretend "it's not even funny." :lol:
    To be clear, the “outrage trolls” are not the ones trolling their audience by saying outrageous bullshit for a chuckle, they’re the people sitting back calmly declaring that the former is tasteless?
    JaimieTBloodyTacoblacksunrise7
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 28
    Dee said:
    ken hale said:
    Ive never flipped so hard on someone as I have Chappelle. It was borderline hero-worship through my early twenties and it’s been go-away-heat ever since.
    Comedians seems to hit middle age and the bitterness that once seemed edgy just overwhelms them. 
    I see that about the bitterness. I think of Eddie Murphy on the Raw movie. I muttered Jesus more than laughter. 

on a side note I tend to mutter Jesus in a mild shock scene or dark turn more and more while watching streaming movies or television. Is it me or the shows becoming more extreme to keep up with like GOT or am I just an old fuddy duddy?   
    Dee
  • mft9186 said:
    Hatorian said:
    mft9186 said:

I think in a broad sense you are right but specifically with Dave, people criticized why the language he was using was wrong and he just keeps doubling down on it. It sucks. I have always been a huge fan of his but it's getting harder and harder to want to watch. He is a genius joke writer but his punching down on certain people just feels needless and mean.
    I agree with you , it definitely did feel to me that he was being defiant and wanted to stick it to anyone who criticized him for those jokes . 
  • edited August 28
    This dude has become excruciatingly unfunny on top of being an out-of-touch shithead. He’s standing up on stage having conversations that we moved on from like 5 years ago. 

Go enjoy your millions, Dave.
    Deehisdudeness915
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I will say that he is at least not a complete shit head. He does do amazing things for the community he lives in just north of here.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/25/us/dayton-ohio-benefit-concert-dave-chappelle/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&rm=1
    mft9186Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • DeeDee Adelaide

on a side note I tend to mutter Jesus in a mild shock scene or dark turn more and more while watching streaming movies or television. Is it me or the shows becoming more extreme to keep up with like GOT or am I just an old fuddy duddy?   
    A little from Column A, a little from Column B. We all (well, most of us) outgrow our edgelord phase, but pop culture does do a lot more shock-for-shock’s-sake these days. It’s their version of clickbait. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I liked the bit on the current opioid crisis juxtaposed with the 80s crack epidemic.  The LGBTQ sketch had some good moments too like the joke on the bathroom break not being until after the next 3 states.  Also the part about every African American needs to register...for a firearm, cause that’s the only way they’ll change the laws. That was pretty hilarious. 
    Doctor_NickNoel
  • I was drafting a comment, but this article pretty much sums up, and expands on, my thoughts on the 20-odd minutes of Chappelles latest set that I could stand to watch https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/dave-chappelle-doubles-down-sticks-and-stones/596947/
    Deeblacksunrise7
  • edited September 1
    - just read farther up and saw my comment was already made. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 1
    How ironic he mocks the founding fathers for doing ambitious things while being terrible people but expects the American public to show no scrutiny into the personal lives of ambitious entertainers.

This is entitlement. You aren't owed the life of an entertainer. Stop chastising us about what we are entertained by, or go get a 9-to-5 and be at peace 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    JaimieT said:
    How ironic he mocks the founding fathers for doing ambitious things while being terrible people but expects the American public to show no scrutiny into the personal lives of ambitious entertainers.

This is entitlement. You aren't owed the life of an entertainer. Stop chastising us about what we are entertained by, or go get a 9-to-5 and be at peace 
    When did he say he expects the American public to show no scrutiny? 
  • cdrive said:
    I liked the bit on the current opioid crisis juxtaposed with the 80s crack epidemic.  The LGBTQ sketch had some good moments too like the joke on the bathroom break not being until after the next 3 states.  Also the part about every African American needs to register...for a firearm, cause that’s the only way they’ll change the laws. That was pretty hilarious. 
    I agree but that’s the sugar to the bitter pill. It’s up to the viewer to judge how much of each. Chris Rock does the same kind of insightful commentary especially around race. So he’s like Chris Rock but really mean. 
    Freddy
  • hitmy said:
    I was drafting a comment, but this article pretty much sums up, and expands on, my thoughts on the 20-odd minutes of Chappelles latest set that I could stand to watch https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/dave-chappelle-doubles-down-sticks-and-stones/596947/
    Thanks for the link. It was a VERY good article that really puts into context my various feelings about the special by expanding the analysis to include Chappelle’s Character and his changes over time. 
    hitmy