Great British Baking Show (spoilers)

edited September 8 in Other TV
Season 7 just dropped at One episode a week. How do we feel about that? 
Michelle

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Welcome to the real British way of things haha. I like seeing things one ep a week, a nice break from binge culture.

Spanish gothy Helena was a fave from week one for me lol, even though her cake bat wings failed.
    bazjenstermylifeaskirk
  • where is it?  Netflix?  I think that's where I watched it previously.
  • Jim said:
    where is it?  Netflix?  I think that's where I watched it previously.

Yes Netflix 
  • It's on Netflix, and each episode is being released 3 days after it airs in the UK. So no more chance of accidentally coming across spoilers for the whole season when googling around during the first episode!

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/23/20829900/great-british-baking-show-series-7-netflix-premiere
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    So happy it's back!  Are Sandi and Noel hosting again this season?
  • Michelle said:
    So happy it's back!  Are Sandi and Noel hosting again this season?
    They are indeed
    Michellenealmylifeaskirk
  • edited August 30
    Without wishing to spoil the surprise of what anyone is baking, I have to say that I was a little disappointed to see several contestants resorting to using rice krispies treats to augment their creations. I know it is used by some professionals as well but it's not baking IMHO... Gentle, baking related rant over <span>:smile:</span>
    Teresa from Concord
  • Crack TV is back!!
    Michellemylifeaskirk
  • adobo1148 said:
    Jim said:

Yes Netflix 
    Awesome!  Thanks.

Without wishing to spoil the surprise of what anyone is baking, I have to say that I was a little disappointed to see several contestants resorting to using rice krispies treats to augment their creations. I know it is used by some professionals as well but it's not baking IMHO... Gentle, baking related rant over <span>:smile:</span>
    Isn't that completely against the ethos of early judges?  Must be what happens when you move to Channel 4.  Next it's cardboard and PVC pipe.
    Teresa from ConcordbazjensterMichelleMFG
    Jim said:
    adobo1148 said:
    Jim said:

Yes Netflix 
    Awesome!  Thanks.

Isn't that completely against the ethos of early judges?  Must be what happens when you move to Channel 4.  Next it's cardboard and PVC pipe.
    Mel and Sue would never have that.  Without having watched it yet, what was Sandi’s take on it?  She’s pretty no-nonsense.
    bazjenster
  • Michelle said:
    Jim said:
    adobo1148 said:
    Jim said:

Yes Netflix 
    Awesome!  Thanks.

Mel and Sue would never have that.  Without having watched it yet, what was Sandi’s take on it?  She’s pretty no-nonsense.
    Nothing was said :( It was all just hand waved away like nothing was happening.. Next they'll be saying 'Some of the contestants are using lego and modelling clay for the top of their showstopper as it is too complicated to make in 5 hours!!' 
  • Being as its the first weekend, maybe they’re giving the bakers a pass. In previous bakes they would have had to use marzipan  or bread which require considerably more skill than simply gluing cereal together with marshmallow. 
    bazjenster
  • I'm now wondering if we have the makings of a hit show here.. 'The Great British Cardboard, PVC tube, Lego and modelling clay show'.. It would get rid of the tricky issue of allowing cakes to cool before icing/frosting them.. I'll see if I can get Netflix to commission 10 seasons. 
    Jim
  • I'm now wondering if we have the makings of a hit show here.. 'The Great British Cardboard, PVC tube, Lego and modelling clay show'.. It would get rid of the tricky issue of allowing cakes to cool before icing/frosting them.. I'll see if I can get Netflix to commission 10 seasons. 

Love it, maybe even give it Brexit-ish theme/angle
    bazjenster

That show kind-of already exists (except it's American and they actually make some pretty cool crafts) and is hosted by Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson.

bazjenstermylifeaskirk
  • 2 episodes in im thinking the woman who’s a vet and the nurse/ fitness buff are my picks for the final 5 at least. I like Helena bc goddamn if she doesn’t look exactly like a character from a Tim Burtom movie or Eva Green from Penny Dreadful. 
    bazjenster
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Jamie was sweet but a bit of a disaster from start to finish. Bless him.
    mylifeaskirkbazjensterMFG
  • amyja89 said:
    Jamie was sweet but a bit of a disaster from start to finish. Bless him.
    I was pleased his biscuit guitar tasted nice as I would hate him to be put off baking by going out to the sound of purely negative comments.. But as you say, he didn't seem to thrive in the tent.. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I already watched the episode before coming here, but just in case for others,should “spoilers” be in the title of this thread?
    bazjenster
  • I already watched the episode before coming here, but just in case for others,should “spoilers” be in the title of this thread?
    A good point :) 
    edited September 7
    The more I watch this show, the more I think I want to learn to make bakewell biscuits.
    Also, does Noel sing professionally (theater or otherwise)?  He has a fantastic voice.  I live for his "baaaaaake".
  • I already watched the episode before coming here, but just in case for others,should “spoilers” be in the title of this thread?

sorry about that 

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    adobo1148 said:
    I already watched the episode before coming here, but just in case for others,should “spoilers” be in the title of this thread?

sorry about that 

No worries. Comments on who is star baker or given the boot (not the trunk of a car) has occurred before. Hell I may have named names. You just got me thinking maybe we should tag the title? Now on to bread!
  • amyja89 said:
    Welcome to the real British way of things haha. I like seeing things one ep a week, a nice break from binge culture.

Spanish gothy Helena was a fave from week one for me lol, even though her cake bat wings failed.
    That spider nest was fantastic, best show stopper so far!
    Michelle
  • I just watched like the first episode of the new season and Noel showing up in a Dinosaur Jr. shirt scores major points with me.  
    Teresa from ConcordMichellebazjenster