Great British Baking Show (spoilers)

Comments

• Jim said:
    I think Rosie only made it through because of previous performances.  Helena completely ignored the theme of the week (1920s) in favor of the same theme she always does.  It's a shame because her stuff always looked pretty cool.  I'm predicting the final 3 right now.... David, Alice and Steph.

Steph and David look pretty solid for the semis and maybe Henry. It feels wide open after for the rest of the pack. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2019
    All right I think I'm getting sick. Time to doze on the couch, eat these croissants, and binge the current GBBO. Here I go.
    JimbazjenstermylifeaskirkMrX
  • JaimieT said:
    All right I think I'm getting sick. Time to doze on the couch, eat these croissants, and binge the current GBBO. Here I go.
    You Go!
    JaimieT
  • Totally not surprised to see Helena go.  Was a little surprised to see Michelle go.
    edited September 2019
    I liked Helena's gimmick, but I have to admit she's not substantially different from (for example) the many old redneck men I've seen on this show who can do old redneck man shit but not much else. 

I like Priya.

I'm betting on Alice to win.
    Also I know it feels cliche at this point to complain about any quality decline in the show, and I've been trying to roll with it in later seasons, but MAKE THE TECHNICALS EASIER. It's not fun to watch no one succeed. 
    bazjenster
  • The roaring 20s theme felt flimsy. The showstopper was supposed to be a prohibition cake but wasn’t prohibition only in America?
    JaimieT
    adobo1148 said:
    The roaring 20s theme felt flimsy. The showstopper was supposed to be a prohibition cake but wasn’t prohibition only in America?

Yeah, but I think -- and it seems -- the mythos of the 20s contains prohibition... 

Honestly I hope they give it another shot with a different group. This one really seemed not to give a fuck about it, and Helena just really outright ignored it LOL. I think it could have been fun. 
  • JaimieT said:
    adobo1148 said:
    The roaring 20s theme felt flimsy. The showstopper was supposed to be a prohibition cake but wasn’t prohibition only in America?

Yeah, but I think -- and it seems -- the mythos of the 20s contains prohibition... 

Honestly I hope they give it another shot with a different group. This one really seemed not to give a fuck about it, and Helena just really outright ignored it LOL. I think it could have been fun. 
    I wish someone would have gone troll and made a voting ballot cake...
    JaimieT
  • JaimieT said:
    Also I know it feels cliche at this point to complain about any quality decline in the show, and I've been trying to roll with it in later seasons, but MAKE THE TECHNICALS EASIER. It's not fun to watch no one succeed. 
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/10/the-great-british-baking-show-has-a-

Just read this article about the technical challenges being too difficult. 
    JaimieTmostlywright
  • the difficulty of the technicals is annoying lots of people in the UK so I hope they change for next season... 

JaimieT
  • Does anyone else catch themselves saying “ well chuffed” or “ bit of a faff”. Im saying “oh my days” whenever shit gets crazy. 

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I was surprised to see Michelle go. And imo I never thought the technicals sounded too hard. Or harder than other seasons. After all we got rice crispy treats right out the gate. That does not impress. And I guess I missed the English rednecks. Is there even such a thing? How trippy would that be. 
  • adobo1148 said:
    Does anyone else catch themselves saying “ well chuffed” or “ bit of a faff”. Im saying “oh my days” whenever shit gets crazy. 

Whenever I eat anything baked now I say "It's rawr in the middle" 
    adobo1148Michelle
  • It was hilarious watching them delicately walk their verrines to the gingham alter. 
    JaimieT
    I'm shipping Henry, Alice and Steph for the final. Henry reminds me of David Tennant. 

I wasn't sad about Priya because she had a time management issue and that's like, unforgivable to me. I can't stand tardiness. 
    @Teresa from Concord I'd have to rewatch to point them all out, but I'd say 1/3 of all the old men are narrow in their abilities in about the same way, a kind of non-feminine way, and that's the parallel to rednecks I see. 
  • I feel like David is due for star baker. He’s so close but Steph is just a little better every time.
    Teresa from ConcordMichelle
    Glad about Henry, and still cheering for Alice. Steph might win, but I guess I want an underdog. 
  • Amazing how David consistently gets 2nd in the technical. He could be the first season winner who never wins star baker.
    Teresa from ConcordMichelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2019
    I’m still mourning the loss of Helena. This season has had a real lack of personalities.
    amyja89 said:
    I’m still mourning the loss of Helena. This season has had a real lack of personalities.

You're not wrong, but I like that. Feels like there's less drama in a way. You Rahul fan. ;)
    amyja89Jim
  • Michael provided a good amount of drama, no?
    Oh you know, Henry is my personality. He reminded me of David Tennant and the rest is history. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Sad to see Michael go.  I really liked him.  I'm rooting for Henry, David, and Steph!
  • Henry has grown on me. Loved when Paul was about to give him a handshake and tells him to shut up. 
    MichelleJaimieT
  • There's so much dry pie this week, you might think you're watching the Purple Wedding scene in GOT!! 
    I have to remember spoilers can come out Tuesday...  B)
  • JaimieT said:
    I have to remember spoilers can come out Tuesday...  B)
    Ah yes, it's one of this rare occasions when we actually get to see it first in the UK.. Rather than a day behind.. *Fake Spoiler alert* It was a strange episode.. Noel and Sandi were joint star Bakers and Paul Hollywood got sent home.. 
    JaimieT
  • On a serious note, what day is it available in the US? 
    JaimieT