Great British Baking Show (spoilers)

124»

Comments

• @JoshTheBlack. Totally agree. It could be recency bias, but I feel like I'm actively rooting for a lot of people compared to previous seasons. It's just a very likeable cast, and even early boots have been bitter sweet. Peter, Lottie, and Mark (you know which one) are probably my favorites.
    bazjenster
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Those cages were so unnecessary, and weren’t even tasted.  :confused:

Kind of bummed to lose Linda, but it just wasn’t her week.  I’m rooting for Ermine and Lottie. 
    bazjenster
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 2020
    People still watching? I just finished the finale, and was very happy with the result! Laura's bakes just had to have tasted so incredibly amazing because I personally felt like her stuff was so damn sloppy and messy most of the time. I was surprised she made it so far. She did do some amazing work when it wasn't a disaster though. Overall, it was a pretty good season.
    Teresa from Concord
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I too was confused by Laura making it to the finals. Even if her desserts tasted amazing they looked a disaster. Don’t they say we first eat with our eyes? I would not eat any of her bakes. 

I was was so happy Peter won but honestly I liked both fellas. Their desserts looked amazing (mostly). And it was lovely the way the “bubble” all came together in the end. 

I do do hope they take the challenges back up a notch. Brownies and churros are not up to snuff! I still miss Sue and Mel. Sandi and Noel worked for me. Matt and Noel can be a bit too Innuendo-y at times. But with that said I can’t wait for next season. 
    I still think it should have been Hermine and not Laura in the finale, but it is what it is.  I was rooting for Laura but she just couldn't pull it out.  I'm not surprised Peter won.  He was strong all season.  

I'm liking Matt Lucas.  I think he fits in nicely.  I hope he returns for the next season.

Speaking of next season - if there's a massive heatwave, I really hope they don't have challenges like 'make an ice cream cake'.  Also - can they not have industrial fans cooling the place off in that instance, even to a workable temperature???
    Murderbear
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited November 2020
    While I like Peter and think he was the overall best baker the whole series, I also feel Dave should have been the winner. At least based on what I saw in that final week. Either way, I enjoyed this series. I do think Laura is the worst baker I have seen make the finals. She narrowly kept going forward because better bakers had bad weeks.

One change I would like to see is in the final week, don't have the bakers do a technical challenge. Those can make or break you and I'd like to see the final three bakers have a chance to do their best work in the final. Take Paul (the baker), the week he went out it was largely in part because he had no idea what the technical was (I think it was a genoise bake). If that'd have been the final, he be completely screwed just because he didn't know what it was. Also @Michelle I agree, no more ice cream cakes. I know theses challenges are planned in advance and they have no way of know when a heat wave will come but those ice cream challenges are tough to watch. 
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:
    Speaking of next season - if there's a massive heatwave, I really hope they don't have challenges like 'make an ice cream cake'.  Also - can they not have industrial fans cooling the place off in that instance, even to a workable temperature???
    I think they initially liked the drama of an occasional hot day, but I think this year likely convinced them it's A/C time for the tent. It's not drama when literally every week the heat is an issue. 
    Michelle
    asmallcat said:
    Michelle said:
    I think they initially liked the drama of an occasional hot day, but I think this year likely convinced them it's A/C time for the tent. It's not drama when literally every week the heat is an issue. 
    Not only that, but it truly (unfairly) affects the outcome of what could have been some really great bakes.
    asmallcat
  • edited November 2020
    Oh and also, Laura. Laura Laura Laura. I just felt bad for her. She should not have been there at the end. She was clearly on a downward trajectory and the stress of the situation was getting to her. Anyone could see there was no way she was winning, and it was just uncomfortable watching her fail all 3 final tasks, to varying degrees. 

I think I laughed at a Matt Lucas bit exactly once in the entire season. I can't stand him. Made me roll my eyes or physically cringe on multiple occasions. I don't want him back. Noel remains a dream. He should stay forever. I'm bummed that Sandi had to go to pursue her own thing, as she was a great "straight man" for Noel. They should find someone more like that, or at least someone who can be funny in this context. Maybe Matt is great in whatever he was famous for before this (I have no idea, I'd never heard of him until now), but this was not a good fit for him IMO. If you wanna have two wacky people maybe someone like James Acaster (I'd also love Richard Ayoade, but since they're such a well-known pair I have to imagine there was some reason they couldn't get Richard for this show, so that's probably a pipe dream). I think Joe Lycett could be good too (again, if you want to wackier people), but I think maybe he's too famous now since he has his own show. 
    Teresa from Concord
    edited November 2020
    asmallcat said:
    Oh and also, Laura. Laura Laura Laura. I just felt bad for her. She should not have been there at the end. She was clearly on a downward trajectory and the stress of the situation was getting to her. Anyone could see there was no way she was winning, and it was just uncomfortable watching her fail all 3 final tasks, to varying degrees. 

I think I laughed at a Matt Lucas bit exactly once in the entire season. I can't stand him. Made me roll my eyes or physically cringe on multiple occasions. I don't want him back. Noel remains a dream. He should stay forever. I'm bummed that Sandi had to go to pursue her own thing, as she was a great "straight man" for Noel. They should find someone more like that, or at least someone who can be funny in this context. Maybe Matt is great in whatever he was famous for before this (I have no idea, I'd never heard of him until now), but this was not a good fit for him IMO. If you wanna have two wacky people maybe someone like James Acaster (I'd also love Richard Ayoade, but since they're such a well-known pair I have to imagine there was some reason they couldn't get Richard for this show, so that's probably a pipe dream). I think Joe Lycett could be good too (again, if you want to wackier people), but I think maybe he's too famous now since he has his own show. 
    I'm the opposite - I'm growing tired of Noel Fielding.  His jokes are just bad.  But oh no, please no James Acaster on this show.  He's too 'oddball' (?).  I think Joe Lycett could be good, or maybe Cariad Lloyd, Sarah Millican, or Susan Calman.  And if you wanted an older person, Gyles Brandreth - his stories alone would be epic. :)
  • My knowledge of British comedians is basically taskmaster and the big fat quiz of the year, with the occasional QI =P 
    asmallcat said:
    My knowledge of British comedians is basically taskmaster and the big fat quiz of the year, with the occasional QI =P 
    I *love* QI.  If you have Britbox, you should catch up on the seasons.  SO. GOOD.  Especially once Sandi took over.
    Murderbear
  • edited November 2020
    Michelle said:
    asmallcat said:
    My knowledge of British comedians is basically taskmaster and the big fat quiz of the year, with the occasional QI =P 
    I *love* QI.  If you have Britbox, you should catch up on the seasons.  SO. GOOD.  Especially once Sandi took over.
    There's too much good TV and not enough time! I used to watch QI as background TV at an old job. 
    Michelle
    asmallcat said:

100% agree.
    Love Noel. He's a keeper.
    Lose Matt.
    asmallcat
    I don't understand the Matt Lucas hate.  I think he's pleasant, friendly, and tries to get along well with everyone.  I think he fits in nicely.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited November 2020
    I like Noel and Matt, although I was used to seeing Matt on Doctor Who for a while so that was a bit jarring, but I'm still #TeamMel&Sue. The chemistry they had was great. Much like Jim and A.Ron, you can tell they had been friends for a long time and it was natural. The other pairings I feel have taken some time to get the chemistry going.
  • I think Laura only made it through on sympathy. I think she should have gone halfway through the season. Definitely before Lottie. I wanted Lottie or Peter to win, so I'm pretty happy with the result. I think Lottie was cheated, but probably wouldn't make it to the finale. Ermine was also cheated. 

As for Noel and Matt, I like Noel.  I didn't hate Matt, but didn't love him here either. 

This is my first season followed week to week, and also the first season I've finished. 

Around this time last year when I was very sick with a covid-like illness, I watched most of the "Season 1" on Netflix.  It was the one with Martha, who was about Peters age. I fell off it once Martha was gone.  Partly because I loved her as a contestant, and partly because I was recovered enough to start working on getting my house ready to sell. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I think Noel is great and Matt did okay this first season. They are both very funny people but when they try to be weird, it tends to fall very flat for me. Comes off as them trying too hard to make sure we all know they are kooky.
    Michelle
    I think Noel is great and Matt did okay this first season. They are both very funny people but when they try to be weird, it tends to fall very flat for me. Comes off as them trying too hard to make sure we all know they are kooky.
    I think that might be why I find myself tiring of Noel.  His jokes just seemed a bit weird this season.  The whole 'seeing Peter naked' thing, kissing the spoon, etc... just stop.  I like him outside of this show though, so if his jokey moments are actually written for him, someone needs to fire those writers.
  • I finally got back and finished it and I certainly think the right person won, at least if we're talking overall strength throughout the season. I'm not surprised Paul was saying Peter and Dave was the closest decision they ever made because they felt neck and neck throughout the episode. Even their Show Stopper reviews were similar. 

Laura... well, sometimes you survive long enough to sneak into the Final. Not the first time the third baker felt like they'd be a big upset if they pulled off the win. Overall, I did like the season. Matt's taken some getting used to, especially as Sandi may be my favorite host ever, but he grew on me by the end. As long as he's not doing that weird old man shouty voice he sometimes defaulted to. Aside from the lack of Sandi, I thought it was a step up from season/series 10 in every area. 

Time for the holiday episodes!
    Speaking of holiday episodes...I can't tell if I just watched two shows from last year or this year but they both included Noel and Sandi. So good to have them together again. And the show with the Derry Girls was fantastic. They are so funny and also do a bit of baking. 

I know it was Sandi's idea to leave the show but I'd be very pleased if they could woo her back. 
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    The GBBO holiday shows they have on Netflix are always from the prior year.  Next year we’ll get the ones that aired this year in Britain.  Not sure why it’s like that.
    Teresa from Concord