Carnival Row S1

Anybody watching it? I binged it over the weekend, pretty good stuff imo.
blue_sleeveblacksunrise7TravisElisa

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I’ve seen the first episode. It was pretty slow, but I will watch at least one more and see if it picks up. There’s loads of British actors in it that I really love so I want to like it. 
    Travis
  • hitmy said:
    Anybody watching it? I binged it over the weekend, pretty good stuff imo.
    Aside from a couple scenes of dodgy CGI, I thought it was excellent! I’m actually half way through a rewatch and I’m picking up a bunch more stuff I missed during the first watch. Aside from being completely original, I feel like this is a show that is definitely needed right now. Some of the themes are scarily close to the heinous political and racial situations currently happening around the globe and in the US and I’m glad to see shows addressing it in an intelligent way. I’m very much looking forward to seeing where they take things in S2! 
    blacksunrise7TravisElisa
  • Just started it last night.  Only got 1 episode in but it definitely has my interest.  
    Elisa
  • yeah, I'm happy for what is hopefully a long string of shows trying to match and exceed the first 5 seasons of GoT :D

It's sorta like Bright, but 19th century England. Following my binge of S1 of The Terror, and now reading the book, I can't get enough of this stuff hah
    Elisa
  • Had me hooked from the first scene. After GoT, I’m hesitant to invest time in something even this good and relevant. But I said that after lost sooooo......
    Elisa
  • hitmy said:
    yeah, I'm happy for what is hopefully a long string of shows trying to match and exceed the first 5 seasons of GoT :D

It's sorta like Bright, but 19th century England. Following my binge of S1 of The Terror, and now reading the book, I can't get enough of this stuff hah
    The source material is usually way better than the shows/ movies but The Terror TV show was so fantastic I can’t see that being true. When you finish the read hitmy, will you let us know?
  • I liked it a lot, but I like the lore better, I kept wanting to know more about the war, and the land the Fae come from, and the pact. My only disappointment was that, otherwise I enjoyed it, you can tell they put a lot of money into the set.
    TravisElisa
  • @blacksunrise7
    I've been listening to the audiobook and am about 60ish percent done. I think the book would make a good read, Dan Simmons is great, but the audiobook is particularly fantastic. The narrator gives this awesome sort of growling voice to Crozier, and upper-crust lisp to Fitzjames, Sir John this sorta dopy voice. Very well done.
    blacksunrise7
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 3
    Glad to see this thread and that people have been watching it. We watched it over the weekend and I really dug it as well. I totally agree with @blue_sleeve that this feels incredibly relevant now with the politics. Plenty of times where I felt pretty squirmy, in the way that I was meant to, and given the way they closed it out I'm really looking forward to see where they go. Really entertaining stuff.

Dumb side note: when ever they mention Legolas' name I can't help but jump right to the Philo Pilo thing from Parks and Rec and picture Tom looking very distraught.
    blue_sleeveTeresa from ConcordElisa
  • @Travis one more thing to note. How is it that Jared Harris is legit, on every great tv show in the past few years?! That dude has the Midas touch!
    BroRad33Travis
  • @blue_sleeve I really need to watch The Terror and Chernobyl. They're on the list, but the mood has taken us to lighter fare (that and I don't know how much by the name at least The Terror would appeal to my wife). I will say that directly for me and I think indirectly for my wife, him being in this show and being fantastic in it (as always) has inspired a budding Fringe re-watch in our house. I was bummed at the realization that he wasn't in it as much as I seemed to remember, but I can't wait for him to pop up. 

I'm started to work my way through the Expanse a few months back, but I didn't make it very far because my wife bowed out because the audio was super frustrating. It just took too much effort to simply understand what people were saying all the time. I was still into it, and I actually just turned it on for the first time in months last night, but I think I just need to restart it. Kind of lost the thread in the break. I forgot he had been in that too. Damn. He is awesome.
    blue_sleeve
  • @Travis haha - I get it. well if you can swing it, they are well worth it! Shit, I forgot he was in the Expanse too! Unreal.
    Travis
  • Jared Harris has such a great voice, it adds so much to his acting.
    Travisblue_sleeve
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Watch with English subtitles, I always do.
    blue_sleeveTravis
  • I second what @Elisa said, watch the first season of The Expanse with subtitles on. The belter creole is extremely difficult to understand and that first season follows Miller on the belt a good majority of it.

Just finished up Carnivals Row and damn that was way better than I expected. The 3rd episode (back story on Vignette  and Philo) is what really got me got me invested. Hopefully this is/was popular enough for Amazon to keep going with it. 
    blue_sleeveElisa
  • awookiee said:
    I second what @Elisa said, watch the first season of The Expanse with subtitles on. The belter creole is extremely difficult to understand and that first season follows Miller on the belt a good majority of it.

Just finished up Carnivals Row and damn that was way better than I expected. The 3rd episode (back story on Vignette  and Philo) is what really got me got me invested. Hopefully this is/was popular enough for Amazon to keep going with it. 
    Agreed, episode 3 might be my favorite of the season. As for Season 2, it starts filming in a couple weeks. It was greenlit prior to S1 starting. I’m hoping we can get 3-5 seasons out of it.  They have a lot of places they can take it, not to mention exploring more of the lore. I’d be interested in learning more about The Pact.
    Elisa