Background listening? (lofi chillhop beats etc.)

I've recently become a big fan of "lofi Chillhop Beats to Study/Relax to" (or something like that, lots of streams on youtube) as background music while working.

In the Harmontown thread I brought up how I've found random episodes of harmontown to be good background listening, to which @JaimieT brought up "The Social Network" soundtrack as another good source of ambient chat/music/noise

What's your favorite background listening source? Springing off "The Social Network" soundtrack I've been checking out "Ex Machina" and "Annihilation" soundtracks, which are both ok.
JaimieTCecily

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Ooh let's do this! These are all ambient and cerebral, not as groovy as the stuff in the Chillhop arena.

• The Social Network soundtrack (redundant)
    • Tron soundtrack
    • Solaris soundtrack (the remake)
    • Celeste soundtrack (the video game)

Celeste probably shouldn't be on this list, but it's close enough. It's more high octane though, which is great for getting amped up to do something. The same composer released 40 new minutes for a new DLC to the game and I'm so excited for it.
    TraviscdriveAlkaid13
    edited September 10
    Also I should plug my favorite musician, Pogo. I like that Pogo can be background or active, as needed. Because he uses sounds from shit you were raised with, it's super nostalgic and comfortable.

I'd recommend finding something on his channel you're nostalgic about and checking that out first.

Since this is Bald Move, I'll share the Star Trek one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs
    hitmy
  • I like all the soundtrack suggestions from @JaimieT - I would also add:

Oblivion soundtrack
    Sunshine (the 2007 Danny Boyle film) soundtrack

"Ambient 1: Music for Airports" by Brian Eno is a classic for chilling out.

LoFi beats playlist on Spotify (if you have it) is a good one in this category too and

TravisJaimieTMurderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited September 10
    @JaimieT I love you for saying Celeste! I absolutely adore that game and the soundtrack is brilliant!

Ahwlee - 1991 is a great album with fairly low key hip hop beats.

Jinsang - Solitude. is perfect for this kind of thing.

Long Arm - The Branches. Jazzy hip hop beats

Okay, now this isn't instrumental but it's amazing for chill background music:
    Hiatus Kaiyote - Tawk Tomahawk. Absolutely incredible album.

And if you want a slightly more intense background experience:
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

Also, when it comes to ambient, gotta go with an all time classic:
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works, Vol. 2 (1 is also good but I prefer 2)
    hitmyTravisJaimieTcdrive
  • The Album Leaf has pretty good ambient stuff, my favorite is the Seal Beach EP:

hitmyTravisJaimieTMurderbearcdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 10
    I love The Virgin Suicides Soundtrack for this by Air. 
    Also, total cosign on Godspeed You Black Emperor. Tortoise and Trans Am are a couple others. I also heard Dirty Three recently for the first time and they would fit the bill.
    In those sorts of moods I also found last year that The Leftovers soundtrack work is pretty great (though it may not fit the overall description quite so well).
    JaimieTChinaskicdriveMarci
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    edited September 10
    Listen to the Transistor (video game) soundtrack!!  I really love listening to those Youtube mix videos as well.  The Transistor soundtrack has maybe 3 songs with vocals and if memory serves it isn't ever the focus of the song, but the lyrics have this dreamlike far-away quality, so you can just tune out and work or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU

Edit: thanks for everyone else's recommendations to beef up my playlist!
    TravishitmyMurderbearcdriveAlkaid13
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I might be way off base here but I like:

Com Truise
    and I got there by way of Neon Indian and Washed Out back when all that chillwave stuff was busting out in the late aughts.  

Not too many lyrics if any with Com so it could be good wallpaper music, and the synth sounds bring me back to that 80s nostalgia when any TV drama series could use synth as interludes between scenes. 
    MurderbearTraviskojiattwood
  • edited September 10
    @johnnytruant ah you mentioned The Album Leaf, made me think of Cold Front by Hammock. According to Google Play Music, I've listened to Cold Front 204 times. More if you count the music video on YouTube, which I found along with something by The Album Leaf on WeSauces Jam list #4:

Oh, and look! Painted Sun in Abstract in this list as well :smile:

johnnytruant
    Also if you like Trent Reznor's ambient soundtrack stuff, try out the Nine Inch Nails album Ghosts I-IV.
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Also if you like Trent Reznor's ambient soundtrack stuff, try out the Nine Inch Nails album Ghosts I-IV.
    Meanwhile, here's the live webcam at the Reznor Residence:

CecilyTravisMarciFlukes
  • Another great Trent Reznor score is the one for Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary.

Cecily
    MrX said:
    Another great Trent Reznor score is the one for Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary.

I was shocked to read this and now I'm thinking the more shocking question would be, what *hasn't* Trent Reznor done?
    Travis
    @hitmy to turn the question around on you, which Youtube streams are you listening to?  I like this one a lot: https://www.youtube.com/astralthrob

• Cecily said:
    MrX said:
    Another great Trent Reznor score is the one for Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary.

I was shocked to read this and now I'm thinking the more shocking question would be, what *hasn't* Trent Reznor done?
    I think I recall that ARon watched at least some of it -  Well worth watching the whole thing if you haven't - it is a stunningly well written and directed documentary, the thing that stuck with me the most is how relevant it is in the context of today's  society. And Reznor's score is the perfect engine to drive the whole thing along.
    Murderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Sigur Rós comes to mind..

johnnytruantTraviscdrive
    Well, I just opened YouTube and one of the videos in my suggestions was 1 Hour of Melancholic Sovietwave. I can dig it.
  • Melancholic Sovietwave lol @Murderbear

@Cecily I usually default to ChilledCow, but will sometimes hop around

Apropos to the current focus of BM, Adult Swim did an hour in the lofi chillhop vein here:

Murderbear
    What was I thinking? Put this on and you're all set.

• MrX said:
    I like all the soundtrack suggestions from @JaimieT - I would also add:

Oblivion soundtrack
    Sunshine (the 2007 Danny Boyle film) soundtrack

"Ambient 1: Music for Airports" by Brian Eno is a classic for chilling out.

LoFi beats playlist on Spotify (if you have it) is a good one in this category too and

Love the oblivion soundtrack.  This is an oldie, but goodie as well:

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    JaimieT said:
    Also I should plug my favorite musician, Pogo. I like that Pogo can be background or active, as needed. Because he uses sounds from shit you were raised with, it's super nostalgic and comfortable.

I'd recommend finding something on his channel you're nostalgic about and checking that out first.

Just fired up the This is Pogo playlist on Spotify and while I really like it, I don't think it's good work/flow music for me just yet. It's too interesting! Maybe when it's not novel.
    JaimieT
    Flukes said:
    JaimieT said:

Just fired up the This is Pogo playlist on Spotify and while I really like it, I don't think it's good work/flow music for me just yet. It's too interesting! Maybe when it's not novel.

Yeah, I've been listening to his stuff for 4 years so it became background, but I guess I do find his new songs "too interesting"... good description.
    Flukes
  • This is not bad. It helps that I certainly don't understand Russian, so it's still mostly ambient lol

Murderbear