What BM Podcasts should I be listening to?

I’m experiencing a sort of yearning in the sense that my life is lacking some weekly Bald Move coverage of...anything, really.  With GoT and Walking Dead done for, as well as Better Call Saul, Fargo, and I guess Westworld (ugh) being on hiatus, are there any current shows being covered by Bald Move?  I’ve got Watchmen to look forward to, I listen to Pickle Me This and I don’t even like that show, I download the TV podcast when there’s something I watch being discussed, but that’s it for me. When I search the podcast app, it seems pretty much all of the Bald Move shows that come up are off-air now. What’s current that I’m missing out on?

Comments

• Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    The Deuce!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    As mentioned, The Deuce is certainly worth your time if you're a David Simon fan. Cecily and I are starting up American Horror Story again this week. Between now and year's end there is Watchman, Mr. Robot, El Camino (BrBa movie), The Mandalorian, The Expanse. And maybe His Dark Materials as a stand alone, but certainly as a BMTV joint. Season 4 of Rick and Morty, of course.

Plus tons of highly anticipated movies on the Movie feed.
    ken haleElisablue_sleeveChinaski
  • It's been slow lately but it looks like there's a ton of coverage in the next couple months.  I'm really bummed that The Expanse is a drop all at once and not a weekly show.  I should be happy it got picked up and we're getting more of it but I'd much prefer it be dropped on a weekly basis.  
    Flukes
  • The Deuce!
    Hell yes, thats the one I’ve been missing! I didn’t realize it would be weekly on the tv feed.  Definitely looking forward to all those mentioned, @A_Ron_Hubbard , thanks!
    edited September 18
    awookiee said:
    It's been slow lately but it looks like there's a ton of coverage in the next couple months.  I'm really bummed that The Expanse is a drop all at once and not a weekly show.  I should be happy it got picked up and we're getting more of it but I'd much prefer it be dropped on a weekly basis.  
    Me too. It's a bummer, because a) it's so much more work for us, and the coverage just can't be as good as if we had two days to work on each episode and b) this is a terrible idea for a show trying to build buzz. Dump the whole season two weeks before Christmas? Doesn't seem like a great way to build a large audience base.

But on the other hand, it's probably the best way to consume it if you're an uber fan, and we'll probably get advance screeners for at least the first 5 episodes or so, which will help out with a).  But I still wish they'd buck the Netflix trend rather than trying to copy it.
    awookieeTulipblossom
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    awookiee said:
    It's been slow lately but it looks like there's a ton of coverage in the next couple months.  I'm really bummed that The Expanse is a drop all at once and not a weekly show.  I should be happy it got picked up and we're getting more of it but I'd much prefer it be dropped on a weekly basis.  
    Me too. It's a bummer, because a) it's so much more work for us, and the coverage just can't be as good as if we had two days to work on each episode and b) this is a terrible idea for a show trying to build buzz. Dump the whole season two weeks before Christmas? Doesn't seem like a great way to build a large audience base.

But on the other hand, it's probably the best way to consume it if you're an uber fan, and we'll probably get advance screeners for at least the first 5 episodes or so, which will help out with a).  But I still wish they'd buck the Netflix trend rather than trying to copy it.
    Speaking personally, I've always found I enjoyed weekly shows more and the more I like a show, the bigger a difference it makes. Part of my uber fan experience is listening to podcasts and engaging in discussions between episodes. I suspect most Bald Movers are in that boat. 

All the same I know Bald Move will do the best job possible with the hand dealt.
    Murderbearbbordken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    ken hale said:
    The Deuce!
    Hell yes, thats the one I’ve been missing! I didn’t realize it would be weekly on the tv feed.  Definitely looking forward to all those mentioned, @A_Ron_Hubbard , thanks!
    This is great news. I thought they weren’t continuing coverage since episode 2 has aired and still no podcast. I’m happy to be wrong. Now I need to learn patience. 
    ken hale
  • Flukes said:
    awookiee said:

Speaking personally, I've always found I enjoyed weekly shows more and the more I like a show, the bigger a difference it makes. Part of my uber fan experience is listening to podcasts and engaging in discussions between episodes. I suspect most Bald Movers are in that boat. 

All the same I know Bald Move will do the best job possible with the hand dealt.
    That is exactly the same feeling I have.  I really enjoy engaging in the forums and discussing and speculating with others that are watching and are into the shows I'm watching.  I don't have many friends that are engaged in TV the way I am so I don't have many people to chat with regarding new shows.  When you dump an entire series all at once, that completely ruins that experience because people watch at their own pace and at different points in the series at different points in time. 
    Teresa from ConcordNoelbbord
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    awookiee said:
    Flukes said:
    awookiee said:

That is exactly the same feeling I have.  I really enjoy engaging in the forums and discussing and speculating with others that are watching and are into the shows I'm watching.  I don't have many friends that are engaged in TV the way I am so I don't have many people to chat with regarding new shows.  When you dump an entire series all at once, that completely ruins that experience because people watch at their own pace and at different points in the series at different points in time. 
    I don’t know how old y’all are but do you think age has something to do with this? I’m 32 and I think I’m near the median of people who listen to BM. I’m having the most fun watching Succession right now. I love watching a great show a couple of times before I move to the next episode. Even when I was watching Mindhunter this year, I still waited a few days until I played the next one. Seems like people who are younger than me (mid 20s and under) prefer to binge their hearts away. Which is cool too, do as you wish. I’m just wondering if that’s a correlation. 
  • Noel said:
    awookiee said:
    Flukes said:
    awookiee said:

I don’t know how old y’all are but do you think age has something to do with this? I’m 32 and I think I’m near the median of people who listen to BM. I’m having the most fun watching Succession right now. I love watching a great show a couple of times before I move to the next episode. Even when I was watching Mindhunter this year, I still waited a few days until I played the next one. Seems like people who are younger than me (mid 20s and under) prefer to binge their hearts away. Which is cool too, do as you wish. I’m just wondering if that’s a correlation. 
    I'm about the same age and mostly agree. I've really grown fond of the weekly discussion cycle around tv that unfortunately seems to be dying lately. Culture feels so ephemeral these days that it's really nice to have a touchstone around a weekly cadence.

But if the touchstone isn't there I don't really have a problem with binging. I've forgone watching shows like The Handmaids Tale and The Terror cause I don't feel like being constrained to the weekly schedule isn't worth it when there isn't a community available (online or in real life) that I enjoy discussing it with, in real-time. I'll watch them at my own pace based on how I'm feeling it.
    Noel
  • Noel said:
    awookiee said:
    Flukes said:
    awookiee said:

I think you're right on with that regarding the younger crowd much prefers the binge  but I also have to keep reminding myself that we are in the vast minority as far as dedication to TV shows.  Most people don't listen to podcasts and chat in forums about TV shows they are watching.  I'm 1 year younger than you and I just feel like shows that drop all at once completely ruin the fan engagement with each other.  With everybody watching it at different paces and being on different episodes discussing the show is difficult because you have to try and remember what happened when so you don't spoil something for someone else.  This topic got brought up mainly because of The Expanse and I'm bummed because we won't get nearly the fan engagement with each episode because everybody watches it at a different pace.  Also it makes it a lot tougher on podcasters that are planning coverage of the show.  
  • I'm 47 and I'm a power binger. A show drops and I will knock it out in 1 or days. 
    ken hale
  • The other Expanse podcast I've followed has decided to do 1 episode a week and the host asked his listeners to do the same, or be extra careful sending in feedback.  I'm afraid it's just not going to work.  Most people will binge it in a weekend and fall off the podcasts almost immediately.  Some people might try to sneak spoilers in to the feedback as though they hadn't watched the show.  I just don't think its tenable to do a weekly podcast on a binge-dropped show.  BM has the right idea of pushing out the episodes as fast as possible.  Hopefully they can get those screeners to help make that happen.
    The other Expanse podcast I've followed has decided to do 1 episode a week and the host asked his listeners to do the same, or be extra careful sending in feedback.  I'm afraid it's just not going to work.  Most people will binge it in a weekend and fall off the podcasts almost immediately.  Some people might try to sneak spoilers in to the feedback as though they hadn't watched the show.  I just don't think its tenable to do a weekly podcast on a binge-dropped show.  BM has the right idea of pushing out the episodes as fast as possible.  Hopefully they can get those screeners to help make that happen.
    We have experimental data that shows this. A binge show has a half-life of about two weeks. We did House of Cards and Orange is the New Black several different ways, the way we do it now is the best. Actually, I believe if there were a way to have all episodes recorded at the moment of release, with a follow up feedback podcast a week later, would be absolutely optimal, but that's impossible to pull off without studio support, because typically you only get like 5 episodes in advance in terms of screeners, if that.

I think whatever podcast is planning on doing that is making a big mistake traffic wise.  Another way you could do it is rush it out Bald Move style, then do a revisit with feedback each week. I just think you'd be lucky to get 10% of the traffic with the revisit.  Ooh, another idea is to do the revisit 10 weeks out from the next season. Get people hyped for the next and get your feed warmed up as far as iTunes metrics go...
    ken hale
  • We have experimental data that shows this. A binge show has a half-life of about two weeks. We did House of Cards and Orange is the New Black several different ways, the way we do it now is the best. Actually, I believe if there were a way to have all episodes recorded at the moment of release, with a follow up feedback podcast a week later, would be absolutely optimal, but that's impossible to pull off without studio support, because typically you only get like 5 episodes in advance in terms of screeners, if that.
    I wonder if this would be different now since both of those shows were some of the first of the binge model, but I kind of doubt it. Doing it with screeners or the shotgun Bald Move method is probably best but I assume the variable of time you get to spend on it reflects on the quality of the product. So getting to do 5 episodes with time and then blowing through the rest is kinda weird.

I'd like to see data on how these binge shows are watched by most people. They become such a blur. I can't even remember how I listened to the casts for Stranger Things. I think I finished season  3 in two days, but I know I didn't do episode, cast, episode ,cast... probably more like binging chunks of show, then podcasts. I guess I'd stick have around for the casts if they were weekly or if there was a retrospective, but I'm like a "core" Bald Move fan, I don't provide good marketing data.
  • There are apparently 10 episodes in expanse season 4, so if you have time to do the first 5 in advance with screeners and then speak 1.5-2days doing the full treatment on the next five you could have the full season done in 10 days theoretically. That would fall within the 2wk peak-interest period and would bank the full podcasts for next year if folks do a rewatch ahead of season 5.

Reality is that this is dropping in mid-December and it would be a big commitment for you guys to do this leading into Christmas. Alternatively maybe do abbreviated coverage and then flesh out into full treatment on a rewatch leading into the following season?
  • ken hale said:
    I’m experiencing a sort of yearning in the sense that my life is lacking some weekly Bald Move coverage of...anything, really.  With GoT and Walking Dead done for, as well as Better Call Saul, Fargo, and I guess Westworld (ugh) being on hiatus, are there any current shows being covered by Bald Move?  I’ve got Watchmen to look forward to, I listen to Pickle Me This and I don’t even like that show, I download the TV podcast when there’s something I watch being discussed, but that’s it for me. When I search the podcast app, it seems pretty much all of the Bald Move shows that come up are off-air now. What’s current that I’m missing out on?
    If you’re a club member the weekly lunches and recent Empire Business podcasts can help satisfy your yearning. If you’re not I’d recommend you try it out.
    ken hale
  • I watched the first three eps of Stranger things, then listened to the corresponding podcasts. But there was a delay in the remaining casts, so I just binged through the remaining episodes and then caught up on the casts during the week.  But I'm a superfan also.

One thing I appreciated about the stranger things casts was keeping the future speculation to a minimum. Going back and listening to older casts when you're binging a series (watch 3-4 eps of a show, then listen to the podcast episodes) becomes a chore when you're listening to speculation that ends up being wrong. Sometimes it's worth it for jokes or could have beens, but that kind of stuff is much more interesting in the thick of it. That's probably the biggest loss when it comes to podcasting binge drops like this.

• Stranger Things is the only show I plan a binge watch on.  I figure out what night works best for me within a couple days of it dropping and I watch it all in one sitting.  I follow too many things on social media that could possibly spoil me on something.  Then I typically do a rewatch of it and listen to the Bald Move coverage as I do my rewatch.  I only really listen at work so I just plan on watching 1 or 2 episodes a night and usually by that point the guys have the full coverage out there by the time I get to needing it. Not sure what I'm going to do with The Expanse yet but it probably won't be the same.  It really sucks that they are dropping it in this format 12 days before Christmas.  I'm not sure who at Amazon decided that was a good idea but they suck.