Rugby World Cup 2019

Just a placeholder in case anyone feels like discussing the Rugby World Cup that kicked off in Japan today. As well as the usual suspects, USA and Canada are in the mix of 20 qualified teams so something for N. American BM'ers to get their teeth into as well as the rest of us... Anyhoo, good luck to your team (unless they are playing England

Comments

• gguenotgguenot CA
    edited September 21
    Just watched my very first match. It was between NZ and SA. This was basically my reaction to trying to understand Rugby:

bazjensterCretanBullmylifeaskirkNoel
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Looking forward to the England game tomorrow.
    bazjenster
  • gguenot said:
    Just watched my very first match. It was between NZ and SA. This was basically my reaction to trying to understand Rugby:

Fear not @gguenot, as a proud English Rugby supporter, I have to acknowledge that Middle Earth.. Er I mean New Zealand is the spiritual home of Rugby Union (we won't go Into Rugby league here..) and some lovely people there have understood how complicated it may appear and have published this great beginners guide https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/115688237/rugby-world-cup-the-complete-beginners-guides
    I do hope it helps!
    gguenotmylifeaskirk
  • amyja89 said:
    Oh yes! Then it will really feel like it is on.. After the men's cricket world cup and the women's football World Cup, I am hyped for another great English run through a world tournament (of a game we invented, then fell behind the rest of the world in competence
  • We got put in a group with New Zealand and South Africa  :'(  America didn't fare much better getting stuck with England and France. 
    bazjenster
  • We got put in a group with New Zealand and South Africa  :'(  America didn't fare much better getting stuck with England and France. 
    Canada do have a rich and celebrated history at the RWC.. Qualifying for every world cup since it started in' 87 to reaching the quarter final in '91 so I will be cheering you on - when you aren't playing England
    CretanBull
  • gguenot said:

I've just looked at these pictures again and if Im not mistaken, in the second picture you seem to expressing 'zen-like' appreciation of a beautiful piece of art.. You DO Get It
    gguenot
  • Well a potential banana-skin avoided for all Italian fans there as Italy beat Namibia 47-22.. CHE BELLA! 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 22
    We got put in a group with New Zealand and South Africa  :'(  America didn't fare much better getting stuck with England and France. 
    Canada do have a rich and celebrated history at the RWC.. Qualifying for every world cup since it started in' 87 to reaching the quarter final in '91 so I will be cheering you on - when you aren't playing England
    Italy winning today probably didn't help us any :(

If you're a big fan of rugby, you might be impressed to know that my great-grandfather played for Wigan pre-WW1.  Offhand, I forget his first name (It might have been Harry, I'll have to ask my mum) but his last name was Gardner.  He played for a few years before WW1, but he was a medic in the war and got shot in the butt while he was bending over to pick up a stretcher and the bullet shattered the bone in his upper leg - which ended his rugby playing.

bazjenster
    Italy winning today probably didn't help us any :(

If you're a big fan of rugby, you might be impressed to know that my great-grandfather played for Wigan pre-WW1.  Offhand, I forget his first name (It might have been Harry, I'll have to ask my mum) but his last name was Gardner.  He played for a few years before WW1, but he was a medic in the war and got shot in the butt while he was bending over to pick up a stretcher and the bullet shattered the bone in his upper leg - which ended his rugby playing.

Wow, your great grandfather must have been good to play for Wigan.. What a tragedy that he got shot like that, a very noble thing to have been doing.. I bet he was a tough and strong guy if he played rugby league for Wigan!
    CretanBull
  • amyja89 said:
    It was good to get the win and the bonus point today but I kept wincing each time we knocked on or passed the ball to no-one! Still, a win is a win.. USA in Yokahama for us next. 
    amyja89 said:
    It was good to get the win and the bonus point today but I kept wincing each time we knocked on or passed the ball to no-one! Still, a win is a win.. USA in Yokahama for us next. 
    Yeah, far too many handling errors for my liking!
    bazjenster
  • Not a New Zealander but did a semester in Wellington during the Jonah Lomu days. I was an instant fan and have kept up with all the Tri Nations and world cup happenings since. Good to see the All Blacks getting the W on the Springboks
    bazjenster
  • Not a New Zealander but did a semester in Wellington during the Jonah Lomu days. I was an instant fan and have kept up with all the Tri Nations and world cup happenings since. Good to see the All Blacks getting the W on the Springboks
    A lot of people were suggesting that S. Africa had worked NZ out but the Kiwis class shone through.. 
    mylifeaskirk
    Whilst you were in Wellington did you get the ferry over to Picton? 
    I did indeed! I took spring break to ferry across and rent a car to drive the south island for a week - so was only in Picton itself for a few hours. And then I did it all again last year as my wife and I went back so I could show her why I think it's the most beautiful place I've seen on the planet. The trip south the first time I had to lay down in the middle of the boat I was getting so sick. Can be a wicked ride :)
    bazjenster
    I did indeed! I took spring break to ferry across and rent a car to drive the south island for a week - so was only in Picton itself for a few hours. And then I did it all again last year as my wife and I went back so I could show her why I think it's the most beautiful place I've seen on the planet. The trip south the first time I had to lay down in the middle of the boat I was getting so sick. Can be a wicked ride :)
    We went over on it too - to visit the Marlborough wine region.. A beautiful (and delicious) part of the world.. If its any consolidation I do remember the ferry rolling about violently as we were halfway across too! 
  • For those of you who may be familiar with Soccer but not Rugby, here's a quote I once heard explaining the difference between the two games:

"Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, while Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."
    CapeGabebazjenstermylifeaskirk
  • I've just watched a replay of the Japan V Ireland match and it was an amazing performance by Japan. It could be a decisive moment in the globalisation of Rugby.. But is also a very entertaining game and a lovely moment for the host nation. I recommend it to neutrals everywhere (probably a little painful for Irish fans). 
    mylifeaskirk
  • We didn't get a win, but at least we did something...

Canada's Rugby World Cup team helps clean up flood damage caused by Typhoon Hagibis

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-rugby-world-cup-typhoon-hagibis-japan-1.5320193

bazjenster
  • We didn't get a win, but at least we did something...

Canada's Rugby World Cup team helps clean up flood damage caused by Typhoon Hagibis

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-rugby-world-cup-typhoon-hagibis-japan-1.5320193

A fantastic example.. Heroic on and off the pitch. 
    CretanBull
  • Canada, afraid of being out niced by the Japanese women soccer team cleaning up locker room after matches in Canada a few years ago, passive aggressively starts cleaning up Japan.

But seriously, good for them. I wish the sport was more popular in US. I haven't run across too many rugby dickheads over the years. As long as the is a pub nearby they are good. 
    bazjenster
  • CapeGabe said:
    Canada, afraid of being out niced by the Japanese women soccer team cleaning up locker room after matches in Canada a few years ago, passive aggressively starts cleaning up Japan.

But seriously, good for them. I wish the sport was more popular in US. I haven't run across too many rugby dickheads over the years. As long as the is a pub nearby they are good. 
    I think the US are serious candidates to host the world cup themselves in a tournament or two.. The way that Japan have embraced the tournament is giving world rugby a good feeling for picking non-traditional rugby playing nations to host from now on. 
  • Just thought I'd check in to say how delighted I am that England are in the final. I didnt think we'd beat new zealand in a million years.. I thought we would beat Australia.. Just but not both... 
  • Pretty crazy semis and finals outcomes - England winning against the All Blacks only to lose to the springboks. Bananas.
    bazjenster
    It's the most England thing that could have happened. Our teams always find a way to give us some glory on the way to inevitable failure.  :D
    mylifeaskirkbazjenster
  • amyja89 said:
    It's the most England thing that could have happened. Our teams always find a way to give us some glory on the way to inevitable failure.  :D
    Summed up perfectly!!