713 - "The Milk and Honey Route"

Director: Matthew Weiner
Writer: Carly Wray and Matthew Weiner
HEADS UP!  According to my cable box, they're airing this episode at 8:48 PM EST, and then IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING they're airing the series finale, "Person to Person at 10 PM.  I'm kind of shocked since this is the first I've heard of the double episode scheduling.  Can anyone confirm?  I did some google searching and there was literally NOTHING I could find about this.

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    WTF? IMDB has the series finale airing next week, or it did when I looked it up this afternoon.
    TVGUIDE.COM has one episode tonight, then a series marathon all week long, leading up to "person to person" next sunday at 10
    http://www.amc.com/schedule?tz=ET&featured=mad-men&mast=10569

confirmed---that last one is straight from the horse's mouth
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh my god. I was not prepared for this Betty situation. Wow.
    GeorgexileTexasMustard
    You know what I'd love to have seen? Bryan Cranston in that cannibal character from Alva Oklahoma.
    Georgexile
    That was an amazing episode. I am super worried about Trudy and Tammy, but he'll that was all super compelling too.
    AmbitiousBukkyAshleyTexasMustard
  • Wow. I wasn't prepared for that Betty Draper bomb either.
    And I don't trust this Pete job thing. Him getting back together with Trudy? It just all seems too good to be true, and with Duck being involved ... I'm afraid it might be.
    This was an amazing episode, and as heartbroken as I am that Mad Men is ending, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    i thought this was a horrible episode. The penultimate episode shouldn't have you wanting Don scenes to end to get to Pete and Birdie. Don telling the truth to the Legion for 10 seconds didn't justify the rest of his scenes.

The stakes are high. Somebody tell Weiner. The finale better be perfect.
  • Duck Phillips tried to get Pete to take a job in Wichita a couple seasons ago.  Pete said something like "Got anything back here on Earth?".  Guess he changed his mind.  Meanwhile, Don is just down the road in Alva, Oklahoma...about a two hour drive.  Will they end up in business together again?

steph_b
  • Did anyone get misty eyed when Sally read the death note? I cried like a little B.
    marteloAshleyhypergenesbAntManBeeGeorgexilesteph_bTexasMustard
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Thank god for the Pete story line, this episode was brutal. I would never imagine I would cry at a Betty storyline, but damn was that a heartbreaking way to go for her character. Happy Pete and Trudy can work out their situation and get back together, I don't think Pete has to be doomed to some miserable life because of the past, people change, he's clearly grown up despite the fact that some around here act like he should never have any happiness for his past mistakes. Finally digging what they are doing with Don and can't wait to see the wrap up next week. Honestly I hated last weeks episode and can't believe the praise it got, this episode is one of my favorites of the series, and favorite of the season next to 711.
  • AmbitiousBukkyAmbitiousBukky Madison, WI
    OMG the Betty bomb came out of nowhere!! I have NEVER been a fan of hers but I'd be straight up lying if that letter to Sally didn't have me on the verge of tears. And they had the nerve to let this air on Mother's Day!! (pause while I get my tissue) Kudos to Weiner and crew for getting Betty to this self aware point. I'm still shocked at how mature and calmly she's handling this. Wow wow wow.

I'm with you April_May_June on Pete. Pete should know better than to trust Duck AND to want to work for an airplane company!!!!! I'm so nervous that he's gonna die in a crash like his father. He SHOULD be questioning the mysteriousness of its origins. It just doesn't sit right with me. I thought this was a pretty solid episode wrapping up Betty and Pete and it really hit me that it's over after next week. I'm not ready!

I wonder how we're going wrap up Don, the kids and our girl Peggy? I'm really starting to feel bittersweet about it.
    April_May_JuneAshleyksa1001
  • That was an amazing episode. I am super worried about Trudy and Tammy, but he'll that was all super compelling too.

Yeah, I found myself being super conflicted during that scene. I was swinging back and forth between, rooting for the most lovable scuz-bag ever to turn a over a new leaf, but then thinking, "this is bad, this is very, very bad."
    steph_b
  • Man, it got a bit dusty a few times over the Betty scenes. Did not see that coming, both that she would die and that I would get so broken up about it.  

Did anybody hear the Terry Gross interview last week with  Matthew Weiner? He talked about how the Betty-Bobby field trip episode was ripped directly from an experience he had with his own mother - puts a new light on that story for me somehow. That's what made it so great. I was pissed at Betty, but ultimately had to realize that I probably do shit like that to my own kids without even realizing it. 
    AshleyTexasMustard
  • This Sunday night was a good night for English teachers everywhere; Don Draper and Stannis Baratheon holding the line on good grammar. 
    AshleyhypergenesbA_Ron_HubbardApril_May_JuneAntManBeeAmbitiousBukkyGeorgexilesteph_bTexasMustardksa1001
  • RyanRyan Kansas City
    The Betty stuff did come out of left field, but the question I have is Don obviously talks with Sally and told her where he was. If he calls her again and she tells him Betty is dying, will he come back? Once she is gone, the kids would be Don's full responsibility. Will he embrace that, or will he shed the Don Draper name and life and become an anonymous motel handyman in the Midwest? You guys have always debated on whether the kids are better off with Betty or Don, what if they are without either? Will they grow up in Castle Francistein or become wards of the state?
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

Matthew Weiner is an emotional terrorist and needs to be stopped. Eight years of watching Betty be a fairly heinous mother, and in one episode, he manipulates me into being absolutely heartbroken over her dying. Why? Why would he do this?

I have to applaud him, because I don't think anyone saw this coming. All these predictions about Don dying, Roger dying, Pete dying, but I don't think anyone ever thought Betty. Even more impressive, this was a storyline in S5 (I want to say the episode was Tea Leaves), and he's bringing it to fruition now when we're all concentrated on Don, Peggy, Joan, etc. It will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out with Don. His conversation with Sally gives me hope that he can be engaged with his kids, but then, he always seems to do fairly well with her on the phone. Actual parenting... yikes.

I thought I was okay with this show ending, but it's just now sinking in that this is it. Just one more to go and we'll never know anything else of these people's stories. I am not okay.

A_Ron_HubbardThe_Third_Mantom_gApril_May_JuneAntManBeeAmbitiousBukkymartelosteph_bTexasMustardksa1001and 1 other.
    Amen, ashley. Amen.
  • Via the Mad Men subreddit...two of my favorite things. http://imgur.com/a/x40KE

Weiner's use of literary, musical and film references never ceases to astound. It's been great throughout the series but especially in these last 7 eps.
  • Ryan said:

The Betty stuff did come out of left field, but the question I have is Don obviously talks with Sally and told her where he was. If he calls her again and she tells him Betty is dying, will he come back? Once she is gone, the kids would be Don's full responsibility. Will he embrace that, or will he shed the Don Draper name and life and become an anonymous motel handyman in the Midwest? You guys have always debated on whether the kids are better off with Betty or Don, what if they are without either? Will they grow up in Castle Francistein or become wards of the state?

That phone conversation led me to believe Don was checking in somewhat regularly with the kids. I can't believe he'd abandon them...but the show might not definitely answer those questions. Betty has several months to live yet so this could be an open-ended issue for the audience. Don may not even find out about Betty next week. And will next week be 70 minutes of Don Draper? Seems like everyone (except maybe Roger?) has had their send-offs.
  • Ashley said:

I thought I was okay with this show ending, but it's just now sinking in that this is it. Just one more to go and we'll never know anything else of these people's stories. I am not okay.

It's an odd feeling. This is exactly how I felt watching the last Sopranos episodes as they were first airing. And they are eerily familiar - like the way each story and character is slowing getting wrapped up as we reach the end. Let's hope the last scene doesn't take place at Holstein's.

But I am loving where this is going.
    AmbitiousBukkysteph_bTexasMustard
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 2015

Seems like everyone (except maybe Roger?) has had their send-offs.

I think last week's was Roger's.  I feel like that was a good place to wrap up his storyline.  We know he's settling down with Marie, he was sad about SC&P's dissolution, he kind of 'shuffled off' to the next thing, whatever that next thing might be... maybe retirement and taking it easy now?   He's got enough money that he and Marie can live comfortably.

I am still reeling over Betty's cancer reveal.  I don't think *any* of us saw that coming.  I thought maybe she was pregnant or something.  Never did I think it would be stage 4 lung cancer.  So, so sad for the family, especially seeing how brave she was while facing her own mortality and having the emotional strength to write her instructional letter to Sally.  And, for the first time in (I think) the entire series, we hear her tell Sally "I love you".   The scene with the three kids sitting at the kitchen table, Sally holding Gene on her lap, knowing what was happening to their mother and that the boys didn't know.  And what really got me too, was seeing Henry break down after he told Sally the news.  There is something about watching a grown man cry that is so crushing.  Watching Betty climb those stairs at the end... :(

Very interested to see where they take Don's storyline in this next and final episode.  He's got no job, no home, no wife or girlfriend, and now he's got no car.  And we have no idea where he's heading - east or west?  I think a lot of us are betting that he's on his way to California - but I think he'll call Sally on the way, find out about Betty, hop a plane to NY, then move the kids with him to sunny Cali.  Time to start anew, which also ties in with his 'baptism' in the Pacific Ocean some seasons ago.

Pete, Trudy, and Tammy.... first, I love that we finally saw and heard Tammy.  How cute is she?  :)    And I love that they are reuniting, but I, too, am conflicted about the job offer and what's going to happen to them in Wichita - *if* they get that far.  I wouldn't trust Duck as far as I could throw him, and being three sheets to the wind it might be an easier task, but still.  Sometimes things that seem too good to be true are just that - on the other hand, is Pete finally going to have the love-filled happy ending that he's so desperately wanted for so long?  Yes, he was despicable in earlier seasons.  But can people change?  Absolutely, and like he said, everyone deserves a second chance - or at least a chance at a new start.  I love that he's really into being a good husband and especially, a good father.    One thing though:  when he told Trudy that he has never loved anyone but her, am I the only one who was reminded of the conversation he had with Peggy, where he confessed that he was in love with her? 

So sad that this show is ending next week.  It's been such a huge part of my life.  Thank you, Matt Weiner.
    AmbitiousBukkysteph_bTexasMustardksa1001
  • So one thing I didn't quite understand in this episode, did the other war veteran guy's just assume Don stole the money because he was a guest/outsider/stranger?  Just seemed really random that they would assume he stole the money when clearly Don shows that he's got plenty of money and wouldn't need $500.  Especially since Don was sitting and drinking with them for the entire night and assumingly left at the same time that they all did.  I also assumed that they would have destroyed Don's car as oppose to just confiscating his car key until he gave back the money.  Additionally, at the end when Don gives the bag of money to the hotel guy, did the hotel guy still think that Don stole the money and was now returning it or did he think that Don just was able to find the bag of money and got it back for them?

As for Pete and Trudy, I think this may be it for them.  I think we're now suppose to believe that Pete has truly changed and they'll all live happily ever after.  With 1 episode left, I'm not under the impression that Duck is f'ing with Pete and going to screw him over.

Betty was a total bombshell that no one saw coming.  Interesting how they decided to kill her off.  I don't think Don is going to find out.  The way the episode ended, Betty just wants to live her life as normal as possible without the attention of "whoah is me, I'm dying, I have cancer, please tend to me" (as Sally implied how Betty use to be).

Should be interesting how this show wraps up next week.  I'm also wondering it's just a regular episode or will be more like a 90min or 2hr episode?  Think the "next week" implied it would still start at 10pm, so I'd guess it's not going to be 2hrs.

edited May 2015

I don't think Don is going to find out.

But he has to.  He is the kids' biological father.  Henry wouldn't keep something like this from him.   And even if he did, I'm sure one of the kids would tell him when he calls to catch up with them while he's on the road.  During his conversation with Sally, he told her that he'd call her in a week.  He's only got a few days to go for that week to be up.   He'll call her, and she'll let him know what's going on.  Whether he decides to return to NY and be there for the kids while Betty's health declines and she gets worse, or whether he continues on his trek out west and wait to go back to NY until she's gone, remains to be seen.  I think it could go either way.  But I do think he will find out.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Oh Don will find out.  It will lead him back to his children.  And it's significant that three women Don has loved were stricken with cancer.
    steph_bTexasMustard
  • "But he has to.  He is the kids' biological father."

Why does Don have to find out that she has cancer right now?  Betty wants to go on living a normal life and act like nothing is wrong.  Maybe, Henry once again goes behind her back and tells Don or perhaps Sally does but I'm not so sure we're going to see another scene with Sally and Don talking on the phone and I don't see how Henry knows how to contact Don because we're not in the age of cellphones just yet (I don't think Don is checking messages from his answering service, is he?).  Yes, Don is the father and we'll need resolution if Betty dies on screen as for what happens to the kids (who gets the custody) but I don't think he has to find out.  I could easily see a scenario where Don doesn't find out until Betty is either on her death bed or has died.

• I sent this comment - well these comments - in an email and then I realized the email may just be for spoiler territory in the GoT casts. Anyway, I wanted to share my thought here as well as in the email and that's because I can't quit obsessing over last night's episode. 

Hey Guys! First time writer here! And I just want to say how glad I am that I came across your podcasts. All of the other seemingly "official" podcasts for the televisions shows I watch (aka obsess over) were so disappointing. The people delivering the 'casts wouldn't know important details like who the guest stars were and they could not refer to relative stories or themes in other shows, like you guys can. Big fangirl here.

And on that note, I'll start my response by saying: looks like someone took a cue from the Game of Thrones Fathers'  Day episode last year. Giving Betty aggressive lung cancer on Mother's Day - what a punch in the gut. I would very much have loved for Betty's last scene to have been "knock 'em dead, Birdie". This was the complete opposite of that. Betty's ending went from hopeful to hopeless like Lens Crafters -  in about an hour. 

Instead of an uplifting ending for this woman we have hated and then not hated so much we get this: Betty struggling to walk up the stairs to get to class to keep fighting for what she wants even though she's dying. That made me cry like Jason Katims wrote it. And I think that probably WILL be her last scene...alive anyway. It's such a strong scene. And Sally reading the note, in the scene just prior, was heartbreaking. It was a strange emotion to experience during Mad Men. I don't think the Weiner has broken my heart too often before. And, strange enough, it wasn't the only strange emotion that this episode evoked. There were just so many feels.

The next emotion that was  out of place for me, at least in the context of this show, was Don being shook down by Roy from The Office and his merry band of army vets. It was a different level of violence than I am used to on Mad Men (right? I mean I can't recall any other truly violent scenes like that - Lane punching Pete, Pete punching the school master, even Peggy stabbing Abe, and the lawnmower scene didn't involve intentionally malicious violence). And it evoked a sense of dread I don't think I've felt since Sons of Anarchy and/or Breaking Bad. I know it wasn't even close to the same level of violence those shows dealt out on a weekly basis, but I had the same gut sinking feeling when they all barged in. 

I'm glad they didn't rough Don up too much, though. That would have been a weird direction for the show, for sure.

And that scene segued (I think) right into the Pete and Trudy reunion scene, which was delightful! And charming! And made me so happy! Tammy's birthday wish comes true! Why do I want a happy ending for Pete? I couldn't tell ya. But even though he's been a little greasy around the edges for the last decade I'm thrilled he and Trudy will live like 1%-ers in Witchita. It baffles me. Maybe I just want to believe someone will end up happy.

When all was said and done with this episode I was emotionally exhausted. What a ride. 

What range of FEELS did you guys go through? And do you feel the anticipation for next week as much as I do? I will think about it at least once a day between now and Sunday. *sigh* 
    AmbitiousBukkyTexasMustard

Why does Don have to find out that she has cancer right now?  Betty wants to go on living a normal life and act like nothing is wrong.  Maybe, Henry once again goes behind her back and tells Don or perhaps Sally does but I'm not so sure we're going to see another scene with Sally and Don talking on the phone and I don't see how Henry knows how to contact Don because we're not in the age of cellphones just yet (I don't think Don is checking messages from his answering service, is he?).  Yes, Don is the father and we'll need resolution if Betty dies on screen as for what happens to the kids (who gets the custody) but I don't think he has to find out.  I could easily see a scenario where Don doesn't find out until Betty is either on her death bed or has died.

I wasn't saying he has to find out right now.  But I do think it's probable, since when he places his next call to Sally, she will likely tell him - it doesn't seem like her mother dying is something she would keep to herself, especially when talking to her father. 
    steph_b
    The interesting thing is Don said he'd call Sally in a week.  And we know he's been stuck in Smallville for six days.  The chances of Don not finding out are about 1%, which is the exact same percentage of him just going out as an irredeemable asshole.
    Michellesteph_b
    @A_Ron_Hubbard what is the deadline for email feedback these days?