401 - Unauthorized

edited October 7 in Mr. Robot
So much for Angela being a part of this season...  I think.  A.Ron pretty much called it, she died within the first 5 minutes.  But he also hedged his bet by saying it could be misdirection and she could have a big part of this season.  Wow.  I knew they weren't going to kill Elliot but even so that was brutal to watch.  Anybody else think that Vera was going to show up at Darlene's party in Angela's apartment?
FlukesElisa

Comments

• fidozfidoz Houston
    I was just disappointed that the dark army didn't kill Darlene too. She was really getting on my nerves. 
  • Tristan_TJMTristan_TJM Chicago
    edited October 7
    I know we all started expecting Angela to get knocked off early, but the scene was a huge gut punch to me.  I always sympathized with Angela.  She had a strange type of optimism that all her hard work and dedication and corporate coldness would one day pay off for her. And then she died.  Unceremoniously. Right after realizing she wasn't going to accomplish anything she wanted to.  She was doing everything we're told should be done to lead towards corporate success.  But her entire journey as a character was realizing , in the cynical world of Mr Robot, the game is so much bigger than what we're told and even the most bold and dedicated everywoman will probably never come close to having any actual power, and one in a million ever gets beyond their preset. 

She reminded me a bit of Neville Longbottom to Elliot's Harry Potter.  They both share that same shaping early origin story with their parents, and she came so close to being the hero herself, but one or two of Elliot's unique circumstances made him the hero of the story instead, and she was ultimately just a small time pawn to Whiterose's plan and a sidenote to everyone else's story.  It adds a level of tragedy to her character for me with her constantly believing there's a reason for what she went through and that it all leads to something or she has a bigger part to play because of it, but in the end it was all just an origin story to a hero that wasn't her. 

As for the maybe-not-dead elephant in the room, I think all the confusion and questioning of Angela's death by other characters is ultimately going to be a misdirection and she really is dead.  I'm thinking she'll be involved via some flashbacks or trippy near-death scenes with Elliot after the end of this week's episode.  I also think its possible she will become a Mr Robot-Style delusion for Darlene.  She claims she saw her despite her being dead, what if she did see her, but in the same way Elliot "sees" his dad?  Darlene is clearly having a very hard time getting through the loss, and psychiatric issues are definitely present in her family.

Would you guys be frustrated if they played with Angela's state for a few episodes just to reveal she really was dead? That the characters were just looking for any explanation or evidence, regardless of if it made sense, just to justify their crazy theories?  Could this all be a meta commentary by Esmail on the endless speculation we're all doing right now as fans?

I'm sad to see Angela die so coldly, but it will be fascinating to see how it all plays out with the characters.  This is the first major loss to the leading cast, and it's clearly affecting every single one of the remaining characters.

bizmarkiefaderar311kryptonElisa
  • Uhh first off HOLY SHIT............. second, I kept thinking its Irving shooting him up, when It was Sam Esmail, I had a visceral fuck yeah reaction. Finally I love how Esmail set up this season, with each character under the thumb or thumbs of someone or something. Whether it was Dom understanding the Danger her mother was in, even though it was telegraphed a mile away, or Darlene in a Jesse Pinkman from BB S4 substance abuse haze, or Elliot/Mr Robot thinking he’s got the drop on the Dark Army not realizing he about 10 steps behind White Rose.  Finally watching Tyrell under the control of his own assistant giving him marching orders knowing full well he cant tell her to fuck off bc his assistant is for all intents and purposes his Boss.
    Brilliant start to the final season. 
    Elisa
  • Im not sure how I feel about Mr Robot talking to the audience. It initially felt discordant, but I suppose it makes sense given the detente established between the two. As the season evolves it will no doubt be a regular fixture of the show. 
    Elisa
  • Is there any significance to Zhangh/Whiterose only being in partial drag. I couldn’t tell if he/she had the makeup and there for sure was no wig.

This is the first season whete Elliot is in complete control of his environment and most importantly hos mental faculties. He’s not being worked by Mr Robot, Angela, Darlene, Tyrell, the Dark Army, he doesn’t even break the 4th wall. Not being on morphine helps a lot. The Elliot thats trying to talk Darlene down in S4 ep1 is a complete 180 from Elliot S1 ep 1. He’s taken the opposite route of the Walter White journey. Strangely the show has gotten better with this New Elliot. Agreed?
  • Given the holidays and everything looking jolly and merry, Aron will be dropping some serious TTDAB . Hope he still enjoyed the episode 
    Elisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    adobo1148 said:
    Given the holidays and everything looking jolly and merry, Aron will be dropping some serious TTDAB . Hope he still enjoyed the episode 
    Oh god I hope not. I really hoped putting some time between now and last season would give a chance to cool on nitpicking the details of an economic collapse we barely have any information on, but then it came up within the first like 3 minutes of the preview cast. The whole thing felt plausible to me given what we do and don't know about what happened and how society generally reacts to catastrophic events but half the podcast is complaining that NY didn't turn into Mad Max the second ECorp had a problem.

adobo1148 said:
    Is there any significance to Zhangh/Whiterose only being in partial drag. I couldn’t tell if he/she had the makeup and there for sure was no wig.

This is the first season whete Elliot is in complete control of his environment and most importantly hos mental faculties. He’s not being worked by Mr Robot, Angela, Darlene, Tyrell, the Dark Army, he doesn’t even break the 4th wall. Not being on morphine helps a lot. The Elliot thats trying to talk Darlene down in S4 ep1 is a complete 180 from Elliot S1 ep 1. He’s taken the opposite route of the Walter White journey. Strangely the show has gotten better with this New Elliot. Agreed?
    It's different with the new Elliot for sure, but I'm not sure he's any more in control since he's so focused on what happened to Angela. Does season 1 Elliot get tricked by rushing into that apartment with no research on the word of a guy he's blackmailing? It also seemed uncharacteristic for him to just burn Freddy like that. Mr Robot is becoming the voice of moral reason which makes that shift to him being the main character who we hear the monologue from make a ton of sense.
    Elisa
  • The Dark Army’s reach is starting to have An Agent Smith proportions or maybe more like The John Wick Universe, where anybody could potentially be an assassin. Either is truly terrifying. Im predicting some kind of Avengers assemble moment where all of Elliots allies and frenemies coalesce to take on the Dark Army. Maybe Elliot says something like Hello Friends. 
    ElisaDoctor_Nick
  • adobo1148 said:
    The Dark Army’s reach is starting to have An Agent Smith proportions or maybe more like The John Wick Universe, where anybody could potentially be an assassin. Either is truly terrifying. Im predicting some kind of Avengers assemble moment where all of Elliots allies and frenemies coalesce to take on the Dark Army. Maybe Elliot says something like Hello Friends. 

They did seem to be able to track the lawyer guy really easy (side note, it's like the Universe just recycled Gary Busey into Jake Busey, it's amazing how identical they are in their looks/acting flair/slightly overt craziness)

The two dark army dudes walked directly to his location based on a Bluetooth badge that would realistically only have a range of a few feet, and they appeared to have no tech on them they were using to track anybody. Could definitely be some Matrix-type shenanigans going on. And now we have a dead/not-dead Angela supposedly running around according to a drugged out Darlene.
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Is there any significance to Zhangh/Whiterose only being in partial drag. I couldn’t tell if he/she had the makeup and there for sure was no wig.
    She (Whiterose) is clearly merging with her other self (Zhang).  I’ve long held the (admittedly crackpot) belief that they are two separate entities.

Also, y’all are crazy if you don’t think there’s significance to Sam fucking Esmail shooting up Elliot with a lethal dose of heroin.
    Elisa
  • Rewatching the opening scene, there’s a moment where Angela stares off in the distance before she repeats Philip’s mantra of removing all emotion. After her execution, WR says “She made her choice.”

That’s a big lawn with nowhere for the Dark Army to hide. Did she actually know she was about to be murdered in that moment? I originally thought she was unaware they were there bc it was a surprise to me. 
  • Another random tidbit that I just heard about regarding episode 1.  Jake Busey plays Freddy Lomax in this episode, his father played a character by the name of Eddie Lomax in the movie The Firm.  
    DoubleA_Ronrkcrawf