S10E01 The Lines We Cross

Good start. I enjoyed it.

Ironically, it's gotten so much better since BM quite their coverage.
blue_sleevescottf75

Comments

• Yeah ever since Angela Kang took over, it's been a really good show. She really turned things around and I find myself excitingly waiting for Sunday. (A feeling I had not had since Season 5-6) I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens this season. 
  • Agreed, great opening to get the seasons plot going.

Was ready for the last 10 seconds to be instead of Carol and alpha doing the 100-yd stare-down, Carol whips out an arrow and puts one through alpha's head Legolas style... That would have been a shocker...

Digging the 300-style zombie attack plan, and some crazy good water and fire zombie effects this episode.

Only thing that really threw me was the satellite thing. I get what they were going for with the fire fighting, which was a good idea as to a real reason they needed to break the border treaty, but that sattelite would be dust. And if a piece that large did survive re-entry they would all be dead from the impact explosion of something that large hitting just outside their camp area at  18,000 mph and it would still be dust. Seems like they could have come up with another way to have a fire accidentally start. Happens all the time in the real world without USSR sattelites raining down fire and fury. They're likely going to make a point of some of the tech recovered, but lots of other ways to do that as well plot-wise.
    Michelleblue_sleeve
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @redlancer agreed.  I thought this was a strong season opener.  Really hoping the guys pick this back up.
    blue_sleeve
  • Oh Geez, no, just no. I was on the fence last season about coming back but this was all I needed to convince me, I just don't care anymore. They have killed off (or written off) every last character I ever cared about. I don't even care about Carol, Daryl or Michonne anymore because everything they're involved in now is either boring, baffling or just plain stupid.

This was just a much more compelling story when it was a smaller cast of characters moving from one place to another just looking for a place to survive. The establishment of the colonies and the bloated cast changed the dynamic in a fundamental way. I don't even know the names of half the characters anymore. They're never going to get me to care about the new people. 

The whole Whisperers thing is just dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. This seems like something that probably worked OK in the comics because it's visually creepy but it makes no damn sense and contradicts everything the show has told us about the walkers for eight season. I can buy that one or two crazies think this is how you live in this new world, by donning the skin of the dead and walking among them, but I don't believe they'd amass any great number of followers. I just don't see a lot of takers for that. To what end?

We've already explored the idea of covering your body with walker blood and guts to be invisible to them and it only works a short while. I can't imagine why dried, dead skin would fool them into thinking you're one of them.
  • quite their coverage.

*quit
  • Oh Geez, no, just no. I was on the fence last season about coming back but this was all I needed to convince me, I just don't care anymore. They have killed off (or written off) every last character I ever cared about. I don't even care about Carol, Daryl or Michonne anymore because everything they're involved in now is either boring, baffling or just plain stupid.

This was just a much more compelling story when it was a smaller cast of characters moving from one place to another just looking for a place to survive. The establishment of the colonies and the bloated cast changed the dynamic in a fundamental way. I don't even know the names of half the characters anymore. They're never going to get me to care about the new people. 

The whole Whisperers thing is just dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. This seems like something that probably worked OK in the comics because it's visually creepy but it makes no damn sense and contradicts everything the show has told us about the walkers for eight season. I can buy that one or two crazies think this is how you live in this new world, by donning the skin of the dead and walking among them, but I don't believe they'd amass any great number of followers. I just don't see a lot of takers for that. To what end?

We've already explored the idea of covering your body with walker blood and guts to be invisible to them and it only works a short while. I can't imagine why dried, dead skin would fool them into thinking you're one of them.

Yeah, I agree it's hard to start caring about the new characters.
    Maybe that's also a natural consequence of a show running for many seasons...?
    I mean, it wasn't hard for me to warm up to new characters in the first 4 seasons or so (Michone, Abraham).
    But ever since they've reached Alexandria.... meh.

According to Kirkman, the skins are clean on the inside, but still smell "a little dead" on the outside.
    So that would explain why it allows them to walk among walkers.
    To what end? To stay alive.
    And also.... well it's like a cult, isn't it? A following doesn't need rational reasons.

• edited October 9
    I thought it was an overall decent start to the new season but I'm also am very skeptical.  Obviously as @TBINKANSAS had said, there's no way that satellite is intact in any way at all.  Also the most cringe worthy moment for me was Daryl throwing the axe into the tree to make it fall on the zombies.  Really, that's not how that works lol.  Walking Dead started as an amazing show and I can't just stop watching a series once I start but it's definitely turned into background watching more than anything.  
  • Thought this season opener was average by walking dead standards, it was cool to see their new style of fighting with the shields and army like coordination, and I guess the satellite thing is kiiinda intriguing but I was disappointed we didn't get more of the whisperers since they are in large part keeping my interest level high. Still siked that the show is back, sucks that the boys aren't covering it but hey if Kang pulls off another satisfying season it just might be enough to pull em back in.