The Great California Power Blackout of 2019

MichelleMichelle California
...aka No Work, Yay!, aka I’m Bored AF Though, aka No Coffee??!?!!??   It’s like living in Little House On The Prairie.  Wtf am I supposed to do now, read ???  Please. :sweat_smile:  At least I can charge my phone in my car!

Hoping my Cali peeps are surviving the apocalypse!
JaimieTNoelmostlywright

Comments

• Good luck to all Cali residents in the affected areas. Jesus this sounds like a recipe for social unrest.
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This is nuts.  Why didn't y'all just send a legion of roombas out to vacuum up the forest bed? (I kid)

What @adobo1148 said.....this is just wild.  800K people out of power as a preventative measure.  Hope you, @Michelle and all the Cali peeps can make the best of it.  Pretty frustrating and disrupting I can imagine.  Daily life, work, schools....

NoelDummyMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Michelle said:
    ...aka No Work, Yay!, aka I’m Bored AF Though, aka No Coffee??!?!!??   It’s like living in Little House On The Prairie.  Wtf am I supposed to do now, read ???  Please. :sweat_smile:  At least I can charge my phone in my car!

Hoping my Cali peeps are surviving the apocalypse!

Aw that sucks. Stay safe!
    Michelle
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Something about this whole thing seems vindictive, like is this really what's going to stop the fires from happening this year or is this just a fuck you from PG&E for all the lawsuits and they're just like fine, if you don't want to burn we're pushing this whole burden on you people instead of improving any of our standards or inspections. On the news last night they were talking about how all the decision making is coming from PG&E risk management and their own staff of meteorologists, is there any kind of consensus outside of PG&E on this approach?
    Teresa from Concord
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @bizmarkiefader are the lights on in SF?  Just imagining the chaos!
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I think it's all PG&E's attempt to get the government to block future law suits.  Super scammy.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Michelle said:
    @bizmarkiefader are the lights on in SF?  Just imagining the chaos!
    As far as I know they haven't done anything with the city, but they're off in Sausalito, Mill Valley, and a bunch of the North Bay. I imagine if they did it in SF they would get way too much shit so I don't see it happening.
    Michelle
  • I live on the Central Coast, but the electricity in my county is (thankfully) going to stay on.

What's weird is that like 3 weeks ago I got a call from PG&E, they were taking a poll, and I was asked questions like 'Would you support a temporary shutdown of power if it was done for safety reasons?' and 'Do you have a disaster safety kit prepared with things like water and food?'. I'm paraphrasing the questions, but my point is that when I was being asked these questions, it was all presented as a hypothetical, and was given no idea that they were actually planning on shutting the power off like this. I feel pretty dumb for not realizing that, lol.
  • Anyone in the top brass at PG&E who’s friendly with Trump? Be a  Hella gangsta move yes?
    Our local Target is open and so is their Starbucks! #coffffeeeeeee
    JaimieT
  • Michelle said:
    Our local Target is open and so is their Starbucks! #coffffeeeeeee
    Target for the win :) I work for Target Corporate in Minnesota.
    Michelle
    Okay yeah, but the line was a mile long, like the line last night for gas.  I bought some instant mocha & will make my own. :smile:
    awookiee
  • Blackout Baby Boom??
    awookieeMichelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just viewed the PG&E map and it doesn't show any outages now. Perhaps they abandoned their 12pm plan? 

Keeping my bathtub full of water just in case.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’m old enough to remember and probably some of you are old enough also to remember the 2000-2001 Cali energy crisis that was completely manufactured by manipulating the energy markets.  Crooked E (Enron) traders here in Houston laughing about old Grandmas losing power.  

When forest fires choked off a major transmission line traders were saying “ "Burn, baby, burn. That's a beautiful thing,"
    Michelle
    Just viewed the PG&E map and it doesn't show any outages now. Perhaps they abandoned their 12pm plan? 

Keeping my bathtub full of water just in case.
    12PM plan?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    news reported at noon today that Santa Cruz County (second phase) has been delayed until 5pm tonight. word is that is may be delayed further or no impact at all like Monterrey County (crossing fingers).

Michelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Contra costa phase delayed.Now 8pm tonight through noon tomorrow. 
    Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I’m in (and work for) El Dorado County. Power has been out since about 1am. And from what I’ve read they are projecting for us between 24-48 hours. You forget how much you need this stuff until you remember that you are probably going to have to trash all of your food that’s gone bad. 

This is a pain. Last year I know I stayed in a hotel for like 4 days just because I was going nuts laying around in the dark. Also it’s frustrating that I thought the reason for all of this is wind, and at least up here, not so much as a light breeze. 
  • We’re on blackout warning over here, but luckily nothing yet. Hope you’re safe!
    Michelle
    it's past 8pm here and still nothing.

waiting patiently...

Image result for waiting patiently gif
    MichelleawookieeNoel
    edited October 10
    Chinaski said:
    it's past 8pm here and still nothing.

waiting patiently...

Image result for waiting patiently gif
    Hopefully you don’t lose power at all!  They’re saying Humboldt is going to be restored tonight at some point but we’ll see.  @gguenot, @bizmarkiefader, @April_May_June @Teresa from Concord hopefully your power stays on as well!  @Garthgou81 I hope yours is restored soon!
    ChinaskiApril_May_June
    @Michelle - do you have anything in the fridge or freezer that may go bad? that's one things i'm most concerned about if we lose power. it's not much but some, and wasting food is one of my biggest heart whimpers.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    @Michelle - do you have anything in the fridge or freezer that may go bad? that's one things i'm most concerned about if we lose power. it's not much but some, and wasting food is one of my biggest heart whimpers.
    I do.  I refilled empty water bottles & put them in the freezer last evening to try to create ice blocks though, then laid them on top of everything so hopefully it’s keeping food frozen as much as possible, but I have a feeling I’ll be tossing some things out..which makes my heart whimper also. :confused: 
    Chinaski
    The most-posted meme on Facebook today:

ChinaskiHatorianawookieeJaimieTNoel
    welp! there goes my electricity  :|
    Chinaski said:
    welp! there goes my electricity  :|
    Ugh... hang in there!  I woke up to ours being back on.  So hopefully you’re not down for long!
    JaimieT
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I’m positive everything in my fridge is toast at this point. The same thing happened last year when I lost power for 4-5 days. The food waste is sickening. 
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    I work in Moraga. Power was off since yesterday morning.

A fire started overnight with many people being woken up to be evacuated. The latest news I can find says 60 acres burned and only 60% contained as of 3:30am. 

Such a weird coincidence that this happened even when the power was turned off.

I’m just hoping my bosses are ok. All three live in Moraga.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This sucks, guys. I lost power for 2 weeks in Houston after hurricane Ike. It wasn't fun. I'm a wimp when I lose power for 1 hour. Hang in there.
    Michelle