American Horror Story: 1984 /// S9 E4 - True Killers (Spoilers)

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
American Horror Story: 1984 /// S9 E4 - True Killers (Spoilers)

Director: David Lynch’s daughter, Jennifer Lynch

Writer: Jay Beattie

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 10
    Best opening ever.
    <Snorts coke>
    "Roll that pussy!" "Thrust those balls!" 
    <Slaps herself in the mirror>
    "This class isn’t for posers, Rambo."
    "Play something fun like Cindy Lauper!"
    "Suck it, Rod!"

hahaha
    MattyWeaves
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Best. episode. of. the. season. (so far).
    So much exposition, so much gore, and just the right amount of campy ridiculousness thrown in.  We got confirmation that Margaret was the real killer and framed Jingles (btw how cringeworthy was it when she licked the blood from the cut on his hand? :astonished: ), we lost more characters (Trevor and Chef Bertie - "she's good people!"), we found out why Montana's obsessed with getting revenge on Brooke, and we got more of Xavier's ego ("Now I'll never be on the cover of TV Guide!" :sweat_smile: ).  But - the one thing that made me go "um... yeah...." was Richard Ramirez doing THE MOST when he entered Montana's aerobics class - the over-the-top poses, etc.  And, he must have already been the Night Stalker at that point before he killed the complainy guy in the aerobics class?  If that's true, would he make such a public appearance?  I dunno.... Ryan Murphy might have some 'spainin to to.

I'm excited to see how this season twists, since we still have 6 eps to go and we're pretty much at what would be close to the end of a horror movie.  If someone takes out Margaret the psycho (I mean, she sliced off her own damn ear and didn't even flinch?????) in the next ep, then we know we're in for a shakeup!

The playlist's been updated!  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5F9yUfVecKj8UuOuwxr59p
    (btw, is it just me or are we getting fewer songs as of last week's episode?)
    cdrive
    edited October 10
    Michelle said:
    Best. episode. of. the. season. (so far).
    So much exposition, so much gore, and just the right amount of campy ridiculousness thrown in.  We got confirmation that Margaret was the real killer and framed Jingles (btw how cringeworthy was it when she licked the blood from the cut on his hand? :astonished: ), we lost more characters (Trevor and Chef Bertie - "she's good people!"), we found out why Montana's obsessed with getting revenge on Brooke, and we got more of Xavier's ego ("Now I'll never be on the cover of TV Guide!" :sweat_smile: ).  But - the one thing that made me go "um... yeah...." was Richard Ramirez doing THE MOST when he entered Montana's aerobics class - the over-the-top poses, etc.  And, he must have already been the Night Stalker at that point before he killed the complainy guy in the aerobics class?  If that's true, would he make such a public appearance?  I dunno.... Ryan Murphy might have some 'spainin to to.

I'm excited to see how this season twists, since we still have 6 eps to go and we're pretty much at what would be close to the end of a horror movie.  If someone takes out Margaret the psycho (I mean, she sliced off her own damn ear and didn't even flinch?????) in the next ep, then we know we're in for a shakeup!

The playlist's been updated!  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5F9yUfVecKj8UuOuwxr59p
    (btw, is it just me or are we getting fewer songs as of last week's episode?)

"Now I'll never be on the cover of TV guide!"  hahaha yes!  

Rest In Power Chef Bertie.  Lived life a bad ass. Died a bad ass.  She basically was like "don't be a little bitch, stab me in the fucking heart." 

@Michelle yes.  Montana & Richard Ramirez were having a "Most-Off" in that opening scene!  

I thought the Leather and Lace - Stevie Nicks usage was a nice throwback to Season 3.  

Oh yeah and as someone who has had "Stop The Bleed" training, THOSE GUYS WERE THE WORST at getting Chet fixed up! My Lord there's another side to that wound!  
    Michelle
  • If Margaret was the one who killed those teens in the cabin back in the 1970s then why did this season start with a flashback showing Mr. Jingles doing it? It's not as if that was some character's memory or point of view, it was just presented to us as info for the audience, establishing the backstory. Assuming Margaret is telling the truth that makes the show itself an unreliable narrator, meaning nothing we see is necessarily true. I find that rather unsettling, and not in an interesting way. It just feels like the show is jerking us around.

On another note, this has to be the gayest show on TV (not a criticism - just an observation). Man-aerobics? Was there a single straight male in that class? Boy, Ryan Murphy sure does like his gay boys doesn't he? 
    cdriveStarshine1988
    If Margaret was the one who killed those teens in the cabin back in the 1970s then why did this season start with a flashback showing Mr. Jingles doing it? It's not as if that was some character's memory or point of view, it was just presented to us as info for the audience, establishing the backstory. Assuming Margaret is telling the truth that makes the show itself an unreliable narrator, meaning nothing we see is necessarily true. I find that rather unsettling, and not in an interesting way. It just feels like the show is jerking us around.

On another note, this has to be the gayest show on TV (not a criticism - just an observation). Man-aerobics? Was there a single straight male in that class? Boy, Ryan Murphy sure does like his gay boys doesn't he? 
    This is random but I have to say, every time I read your name I read "Tabasco Sauce!"    :D  
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited October 10
    In a shocking twist, turns out Chef Bertie is the biggest psychopath on the show. Who puts the jelly directly on top of the peanut butter when making a PB&J?

Monster !!

MichellecdriveTBINKANSAS
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    If Margaret was the one who killed those teens in the cabin back in the 1970s then why did this season start with a flashback showing Mr. Jingles doing it? It's not as if that was some character's memory or point of view, it was just presented to us as info for the audience, establishing the backstory. Assuming Margaret is telling the truth that makes the show itself an unreliable narrator, meaning nothing we see is necessarily true. I find that rather unsettling, and not in an interesting way. It just feels like the show is jerking us around.

You're doing AHS wrong. You're not supposed to think about or question anything about the show because it falls apart immediately. They're basically just full-on parody now and in it for the lols.
  • Hunkulese said:

You're doing AHS wrong. You're not supposed to think about or question anything about the show because it falls apart immediately. They're basically just full-on parody now and in it for the lols.
    Well that's certainly possible but it's a departure from all previous seasons. Even those with obvious parody had some sense of internal logic no matter how flimsy. This is the first time in 9 seasons where I simply don't understand what the hell is going on. I realize some viewers are fine with that but I don't enjoy being taken for a ride. I got enough of that from Lost, thank you very much.
  • If Margaret was the one who killed those teens in the cabin back in the 1970s then why did this season start with a flashback showing Mr. Jingles doing it? It's not as if that was some character's memory or point of view, it was just presented to us as info for the audience, establishing the backstory. Assuming Margaret is telling the truth that makes the show itself an unreliable narrator, meaning nothing we see is necessarily true. I find that rather unsettling, and not in an interesting way. It just feels like the show is jerking us around.

ALSO - why did they show us Mr. Jingles killing the looping counselor when he was getting away on his motorbike in a flashback to the original murders? (forget his name- the first guy we see keep coming back to life that says things like “I’m not supposed to die here”) Maybe it’s actually from the current timeline but it seemed to be the explanation of his original death. I can’t take credit for this observation and I could be missing something- saw it in a reddit thread. But it seems to be another bump in continuity or at best a clue towards the additive campfire theory: we see multiple retellings because multiple people are telling the story.