NBA 2019-2020 Thread

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited October 31 in General
well that was quite the off-season... any choice words or hot takes for the upcoming season?
Dummy

Comments

• Just three words.  "Back to Back" :) 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 10
    Morey created an international crisis and costed the NBA $4 billion. Totes worth it.

Also I’m finally on this Zion hype train. Holy god damn hell this Beast Man is going to give me jaw drop fatigue. 
    DummyCretanBullChinaski
  • I totally support Morey and I'm really glad that the NBA supported him.
  • I just kind of laugh at the chaos that Morey created and now China is reacting to the whole situation.  Any other person costs his "company" that much money and their badge/keys/whatever ain't working the next morning.
  • No Zion for the first few months is a bummer. He was looking really good and I thought he was looking close to All-Star level. Now he has knee problems and he's only 19. Not great, Bob. 
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dummy said:
    No Zion for the first few months is a bummer. He was looking really good and I thought he was looking close to All-Star level. Now he has knee problems and he's only 19. Not great, Bob. 
    Greg Oden on line 1..
    Pangs
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:
    Dummy said:
    No Zion for the first few months is a bummer. He was looking really good and I thought he was looking close to All-Star level. Now he has knee problems and he's only 19. Not great, Bob. 
    Greg Oden on line 1..

Man, that would be disappointing after hearing about this dude all year as the most hyped up prospect since Lebron.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Sixers in 6 over the Clippers! 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m looking forward to seeing this Luka-KP combo all season. Wasn’t perfect but I saw plenty of signs of a promising future.
  • Have to say I think Coby White is in the lead for ROY or at least in the top 3. Let’s see what he does as a starter but he seems to be the real deal. 
  • Granted it's only 2 games into the season and when you have a player of Curry's caliber that's a huge plus (along with Draymond) but welcome back to reality all of Golden State.  Losing both Klay and KD is a huge and can't say it's total surprised that they've been blown out in their first 2 games.
  • I'm a Bulls fan.  

(Stares out the window as snow begins to fall from the October sky here in the Midwest)

Pangs
  • I've watched the first few Bulls games.  Still feels like torture.  Coby White adds some zing, but he's got a lot of work to do.
  • After losing my town’s nfl team, I’ve spent a few years adrift without a team or even a league to follow, but last season’s finals and all the news this offseason (as well as an unexpected obsession w 2k19) have brought me into the nba fold. The league pass is incredible, especially if you you’re a cord-cutter (and as long as you don’t care about your “local” team). Any day of the week I can tune in to whatever game catches my interest. The NFL could learn a lot from them when it comes to fan engagement. 
    CretanBullNoel
  • ken hale said:
    After losing my town’s nfl team, I’ve spent a few years adrift without a team or even a league to follow, but last season’s finals and all the news this offseason (as well as an unexpected obsession w 2k19) have brought me into the nba fold. The league pass is incredible, especially if you you’re a cord-cutter (and as long as you don’t care about your “local” team). Any day of the week I can tune in to whatever game catches my interest. The NFL could learn a lot from them when it comes to fan engagement. 
    The NBA is the future of sports in North America....I'm not saying soon, but it will surpass the NFL.
  • I’d say it’s already the second biggest league/sport in the world. I can’t believe it’s not surpassed the nfl already domestically. Just a better game all around. After pondering my potential allegiances all summer, I’ve picked the Spurs to be my favorite team, lol. I always liked Manu Ginobli and now I say Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker are future mvps, lol. I’m all in.  

More topically, I was watching the Warriors get blown out and Steph Curry looks like he hurt his wrist. Ouch. That team is in trouble. 
  • ken hale said:
    I’d say it’s already the second biggest league/sport in the world. I can’t believe it’s not surpassed the nfl already domestically. Just a better game all around. After pondering my potential allegiances all summer, I’ve picked the Spurs to be my favorite team, lol. I always liked Manu Ginobli and now I say Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker are future mvps, lol. I’m all in.  

More topically, I was watching the Warriors get blown out and Steph Curry looks like he hurt his wrist. Ouch. That team is in trouble. 

Yup

• ken hale said:
    I’d say it’s already the second biggest league/sport in the world. I can’t believe it’s not surpassed the nfl already domestically. Just a better game all around. After pondering my potential allegiances all summer, I’ve picked the Spurs to be my favorite team, lol. I always liked Manu Ginobli and now I say Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker are future mvps, lol. I’m all in.  

the NBA has its own issues. the superteam problem is always an issue now. this is the first year in awhile where there are 5 or so teams with legit shot at winning the title. 

its also become glorified all-star games. no defense. 30 3 pointers a game. etc. just look at the rockets/wiz game today. 160 points in regulation!
    Pangs
  • edited October 31
    Hatorian said:
    the NBA has its own issues. the superteam problem is always an issue now. this is the first year in awhile where there are 5 or so teams with legit shot at winning the title. 

its also become glorified all-star games. no defense. 30 3 pointers a game. etc. just look at the rockets/wiz game today. 160 points in regulation!

Yeah, everybody jacking up 3's because the analytics say that it's better, kind of ruins other parts of the game.  I mean, the day Carmello is standing on the 3 point line with a defender running at him, he up fakes and the defender goes by him, and then steps in a few steps and takes a wide open 2 pointer and knocks it down but then has to look over to his bench and apologize, just something seems wrong about that.  So, now when you see 7 footers firing away from 3, it just seems wrong.   I mean, hell, if you playing against Philly, you want Embid thinking he can make 10 3's and want him firing away as oppose to destroying you down low.

In addition, the lack of traveling calls or the take 2 steps and then a hop (with both feet off the ground mind you), and then take another jump and somehow that's no longer a travel call?  Then you add in some of the flopping or constant whining about lack of calls, i mean, just play.  Just areas of the game where it's nothing like it use to be.  I can still enjoy it mind you, but I recognize how it's completely changed. 

*edit- another thing that always seems weird, when you're watching a 3 on 1 fast break and 2 of the guys run the 3 point line as oppose to attacking the basket and so rather than take an easy layup or dunk, they're shooting a 3, just seems wrong.  But that's today's game.

HatorianBroRad33
    @Chinaski

Bro can you edit "NBA 2019-2010 Thread" to "NBA 2019-2020 Thread"  ?

It's driving me nuts!
    ChinaskiNoel
    cdrive said:
    @Chinaski

Bro can you edit "NBA 2019-2010 Thread" to "NBA 2019-2020 Thread"  ?

It's driving me nuts!
    haha wow.. this whole time and never even noticed. good looking out!
    Noelcdrive
  • @Hatorian you’re definitely right, the game and league aren’t perfect, and I can see some of that already, but you have to understand that I’m from San Diego. Junior Seau’s death (RIP) made the CTE issue too real to accept the league’s still-tepid response. The Kapernick black-balling is offensively brazen. On top of that, the league enabled one of their worst owners to abandon my city when we wouldn’t be held hostage to their stadium demands. 

Compared to all that stuff, NBA players putting up bad three-pointers and demanding trades feels pretty quaint, you know?
    Hatorian
    That new Brooklyn court has drip for daaaaays. 

Looked amazing last night and the pics today the day after look great too. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I would like to jump in and say that I’m so glad the Mavs traded for Luka
    cdriveHatorian
  • ATL was stupid to think Trae Young was the next Steph Curry. It was obvious Luca was the better player
    BroRad33Noel
    i'm actually enjoying watching all these young unknown guys on the Warriors. no Klay, no Steph, no Dray, no DeLo, no Looney and they got their first win at the Chase Center a few days ago over POR. that rook they got (Eric Paschall) with 41 pick has been balling out, 61 pts in the last 2 games. JV Squad in Houston tonight (shout out @cdrive).
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:
    i'm actually enjoying watching all these young unknown guys on the Warriors. no Klay, no Steph, no Dray, no DeLo, no Looney and they got their first win at the Chase Center a few days ago over POR. that rook they got (Eric Paschall) with 41 pick has been balling out, 61 pts in the last 2 games. JV Squad in Houston tonight (shout out @cdrive).

Yea... it's back to the real Warriors, draft lottery baby. Hopefully they can get some development out of these guys and find some bench players for the future. If Steph, Klay, Draymond, and DLo or whoever they end up trading him for can be healthy next year they can probably get back to a playoff team so this year is all about figuring out which of these guys fit into the future.
    Chinaski
    Chinaski said:

Yea... it's back to the real Warriors, draft lottery baby. Hopefully they can get some development out of these guys and find some bench players for the future. If Steph, Klay, Draymond, and DLo or whoever they end up trading him for can be healthy next year they can probably get back to a playoff team so this year is all about figuring out which of these guys fit into the future.
    We’ve been playing like butt. You guys are probably gonna win. Especially after this Blazers stomping I heard about!

cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:

We’ve been playing like butt. You guys are probably gonna win. Especially after this Blazers stomping I heard about!

not according to Vegas. 15 point underdogs  :#