Watchmen S1E1: It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice (SPOILERS)

Spoiler discussion for the episode 

Comments

• Where is the podcast? 
  • Don’t think they are doing instant takes on this. So probably 2 days after release. Tuesday would be my guess. 
  • I thought they were doing the instant Take/Talk? Maybe I misremembered the preview cast.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Hatorian said:
    Don’t think they are doing instant takes on this. So probably 2 days after release. Tuesday would be my guess. 

They did one last night. :)
    OpusWho
    Well, I read a pretty big spoiler on accident so uh.... it was nice speculating with you guys. 
    hisdudeness915
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited October 21
    Did I miss when they announced that the preview pod was up last week? I knew they were covering but didn’t even know what the title of the feed was gonna be called. It’s weird listening to the preview pod after watching the first episode. Oh well, it’s still a good listen.  All that being said, I dug the first episode. They had me at Regina King and she did not disappoint. That opening scene was tough to watch but was a movie quality action sequence. Then the deal with the cop was intense as hell yet also took me out of the episode for a few minutes because I started contemplating the real world implications of the gun lock gadget. Took me a few minutes to then kinda find my footing in the universe so I think I might need to rewatch it tonight but I’m pretty much all in on any Lindelof project so here we go.........let’s do this!
    Elisa
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Did I miss when they announced that the preview pod was up last week? I knew they were covering but didn’t even know what the title of the feed was gonna be called. It’s weird listening to the preview pod after watching the first episode. Oh well, it’s still a good listen.  All that being said, I dug the first episode. They had me at Regina King and she did not disappoint. That opening scene was tough to watch but was a movie quality action sequence. Then the deal with the cop was intense as hell yet also took me out of the episode for a few minutes because I started contemplating the real world implications of the gun lock gadget. Took me a few minutes to then kinda find my footing in the universe so I think I might need to rewatch it tonight but I’m pretty much all in on any Lindelof project so here we go.........let’s do this!
    They repurposed The Leftovers feed I believe for the We Do Watchmen podcasts

• I found it it no time by just searching bald move watchmen but thanks for the info. 
    calebthrower
  • JaimieT said:
    Hatorian said:
    Don’t think they are doing instant takes on this. So probably 2 days after release. Tuesday would be my guess. 

They did one last night. :)
    Where can one find this Instant Take?
  • I don’t see the instant talk in the ad free feed. Just listened to it in the regular feed but of course it cut off for the Q&A part. Anyone else having this issue? I’m using the Apple podcasts app. 
  • I don’t see the instant talk in the ad free feed. Just listened to it in the regular feed but of course it cut off for the Q&A part. Anyone else having this issue? I’m using the Apple podcasts app. 
    I got the same problem.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This thing was heavily steeped in Lindelof sauce and it was so refreshing.  I'm gonna read the comics online now so I can get caught up on this strange alternate reality.  I don't remember the movie being so much like this.  Maybe I need to re-watch that too.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Instant talk still not showing up. Is there a tech glitch? LWJ&A didn’t show up until Sunday morning. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I don’t see the instant talk in the ad free feed. Just listened to it in the regular feed but of course it cut off for the Q&A part. Anyone else having this issue? I’m using the Apple podcasts app. 
    I got the same problem.
    Sorry, I'm not seeing it in my premium feed either. We're troubleshooting because it looks like everything is in the right place to update everything correctly.
    Teresa from ConcordFlukes
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It just came through for me, hopefully this will do the trick?
    hisdudeness915
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited October 21
    It just came through for me, hopefully this will do the trick?
    I see it in my feed now.

Edit: I see it in Podcast Addict (Android), and Pocket Casts (Android)
    edited October 21
    Never thought I'd be talking Oklahoma in a Watchmen thread, but if anyone wants to see Oklahoma I cannot recommend enough the Hugh Jackman version, which is on Bluray now. They use fancy cameras and film them doing it on stage. I've watched it 10+ times in the last several years. You do need to like musicals, though. It's not reinventing the genre.

https://youtu.be/m7obrjaPyS0

FlukesOpusWhocdrive
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    There were definitely strong Leftovers vibes in this episode. I couldn't help but think of @A_Ron_Hubbard when aquatic creatures started falling from the sky - I guess there's a little Fargo in there too. :D

I read a fair amount ahead of time which probably helped, but I still found myself a little at-sea with the world-building. I feel interested and slightly disoriented.
    tom_gJaimieTOpusWhoElisaawookiee
  • Not only very Lindelofy, but, specifically, very premier episode Lidelofy.  I found this very similar in feel to S1E1 of both Lost and The Leftovers.  A couple of spoons full of meet the characters, back story, and mystery, in all of the right portions.

No doubt, the deep character stuff is coming soon.

Lidelofy, tm, 2019
    Flukes
  • I wonder if the falling squid things is a recurring event (all of the drivers seemed pretty nonchalant about it) that Ozymandias is continuing just to sell that the "threat" is still there from the fake squid alien invasion from the comic? 
    OpusWhoElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I thought it was good.  I have no point of reference in terms of the plot or characters as I'm not familiar with the comics and don't really care for Marvel/DC/superhero stuff in general, so I'm going into this totally uneducated about it.  I *think* I understand what's happening, but I definitely need to rewatch.  I have no idea who all of the different characters are and had no idea of the significance of Jeremy Irons' character and those scenes.  I didn't catch on that Don Johnson's character was corrupt and I don't know where that was shown.  Also, I'm assuming the man in the wheelchair at the end is the little boy from the opening scenes, mainly because he had the note.  But why is he out there under the tree and next to a lynched Don Johnson?  Clearly he didn't hang him, so why is he there?   I guess I'm pretty confused.  Still, the action was good and Regina King kicked ass, literally and figuratively.  And it was nice to see Don Johnson on screen again, even if only for one episode.
    ElisaDoubleA_Ron
  • I think the Squid Rain is an unexpected side result of the large one....not a huge leap . All the little squids are beginning embryos that never make it once they fall to the ground. I dont think Adrian continues with this .  It seems to ordinary. People are SO used to it its just another pain to deal with and have regulated cleanup...like snow. Very LinelofyTM2019. Maybe candidate Redford ran on a platform of public funding to deal with the Squid Rain...some get wet while others...gross.
  • Also, anyone else notice "Unforgettable" during the dinner scene? Nice hat tip to the movie. 
  • I like the foreshadowing with Gossett, Jr., early in the episode asking Regina King if she thinks he could lift 200#, and then sitting next to ~200# hanging Don Johnson at the end.

Deputy with the silver mask’s face looked like a Rorschach mask during about every set of images in the interrogation pod. That’s not an accident.
    gguenotFlukesElisa
    OpusWho said:
    I think the Squid Rain is an unexpected side result of the large one....not a huge leap . All the little squids are beginning embryos that never make it once they fall to the ground. I dont think Adrian continues with this .  It seems to ordinary. People are SO used to it its just another pain to deal with and have regulated cleanup...like snow. Very LinelofyTM2019. Maybe candidate Redford ran on a platform of public funding to deal with the Squid Rain...some get wet while others...gross.

Some stay dry and others feel the pain.
    OpusWho
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm catching up on the comics here, fyi, if anyone else was looking for them:

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Watchmen

calebthrower
    edited October 21
    Michelle said:
    I thought it was good.  I have no point of reference in terms of the plot or characters as I'm not familiar with the comics and don't really care for Marvel/DC/superhero stuff in general, so I'm going into this totally uneducated about it.  I *think* I understand what's happening, but I definitely need to rewatch.  I have no idea who all of the different characters are and had no idea of the significance of Jeremy Irons' character and those scenes.  I didn't catch on that Don Johnson's character was corrupt and I don't know where that was shown.  Also, I'm assuming the man in the wheelchair at the end is the little boy from the opening scenes, mainly because he had the note.  But why is he out there under the tree and next to a lynched Don Johnson?  Clearly he didn't hang him, so why is he there?   I guess I'm pretty confused.  Still, the action was good and Regina King kicked ass, literally and figuratively.  And it was nice to see Don Johnson on screen again, even if only for one episode.
    There were two things that made me feel Johnson's character was bad...he didn't wear a mask, and the picture in his closet, which I assume is him sitting on his fathers lap. Neither of these are great  indicators though.

Edit: Reznor's music added to the bad vibes I was getting from the picture scene so that helped
    MichelleJaimieT
    Full circle... Chocolate Rain was that song we all thought was great but is actually about systemic racism.
    OpusWho
    cdrive said:
    I'm catching up on the comics here, fyi, if anyone else was looking for them:

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Watchmen

I use this a lot myself. Heads up, if you plan to use this site at a place of business, have an ad blocker (which I'm sure most people have already). Some of the adds are or could be considered NSFW
    cdriveFlukesken hale
  • They are posting in universe materials after every episode. Similar to how each issue of the comic would have info after that informed world building/plot.
    https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

This explains how Rorshachs journal was received, ozy's disappearance, why technology like computers were banned and now are slowly being reintroduced, and more.

The one detail that's interesting is that night owl and the comedienne(silkspectre 2) were arrested in 1995 for violating the Keene act. Dan is still in custody but Laurie works for the FBI.
    FlukesOpusWhoJaimieT