403- Forbidden

ELLIOT MY BOY.......YOU GO BRUH!!!!!!!!!!  

Comments

• edited October 2019
    May be right up there with my all time favorite episodes for a variety of reasons. I loved how it was Mr Robot who asks Olivia for a drink, bit when its Elliot who has to muddle through the awkwardness, I thought well of course, it would have been predictable watching Mr Robot  effortlessly charm the pants off (literally). Olivia’s purpose to the plot could have ended there, but when they have the heart to heart in the bathroom, it provoked feelings this show So rarely does. Esmail crushed that scene.

I loved the Cold Open as well, Though i found the whiteroses at the end quite unnecessary. It was as if Esmail thought we may not be paying attention. 

Damn im so worried for Krista. If she dies, theres no way Elliot could forgive himself. 

Finally, I wasn’t so much jarred that Vera shot a guy right in front of a kid, but that the kid was completely unphased. How many times has this kid seen a guy  get shot at this point in his young  life? 

Best lines:
     “ I look forward to stealing your intellectual property”

” I almost did it, but I promised a kid Id take him to see the Martian”

”Been clean for 9 months, except for  that heroin  two days ago”
    bizmarkiefaderDoubleA_RonElisaawookiee
  • This episode got me thinking, given everything Elliot has done, what kind of ending does his character deserve. Can he just get some closure to this particular chapter of his life, like maybe never hack anyone ever again and just work the geek squad at Beat Buy. Or maybe him and Olivia get married and  reopen the F society arcade, while buying ice cream for Trenton’s brother and Olivia’s son.
      He’ll most likely get something approximating what we just saw with Jesse Pinkman.  He got some closure to one phase of his life, presumably opening doors to a new one. 

For sure he doesn’t deserve a Walter White/Heisenberg ending, at least IMO. Or does he? Maybe dying is only way he can liberate himself from .......himself. 
  • Was not expecting that connection with Olivia but it was genuinely sweet, even with everything else going on.
    Elisa
  • edited October 2019
    Upon rewatch it would have been perfectly fine had they just had Christian Slater charm his way into Olivia’s bed, get the that key code and been gone. I would have thought Well great the Mr Robot personae really came in handy. That Esmail instead used it as an opportunity to allow Elliot to evolve In front of us was so much better. 
    Elisa
  • I'm anxious to see the episode but it still hasn't showed up on prime yet.
  • Well, after last weeks very weak episode this was much better. I really liked the Olivia part but also the white rose background information.
    What kind of worries me that we don't know about the other members of  the deus group, I hope they are not just a plot device and that white roses leadership gets challenged from them because she is pushing too hard finally getting impatient. That whole speeding the enemies timeline works both ways I guess.

• Well, we know why Whiterose would at least feign interest in time travel now....
  • Btw to any American company doing business in China, make sure you’re hiring people who speak the language. Seems pretty basic yes?
  • Damn what an episode.  I thought for sure as soon as they got talking at the table that Elliot was going to screw everything that Mr. Robot got set up with Olivia.  He's so incredibly awkward with everything but in this situation he leaned into it and it worked.  I really hope nothing bad ends up happening to Olivia but that doesn't seem to be the trend with anybody that gets close with Elliot.  We haven't really seen anything from Vera since season 1 but damn do I hate that guy.  He's going to be getting some serious dirt on Elliot once he catches up with Krista.  Really enjoyed the background we got on Whiterose before he became Minister of State Security for China and the most likely reason he has interest in what we all reasonably assume is a particle accelerator.  
    Elisa
  • While I did not pick up on the obvious white rose imagery, I did have an immediate appreciation for them listening to Boy George’s Time. It’s an underrated song and is a perfect fit on several levels. 
    ElisaDoubleA_RonawookieePangs
  • Just started listening to the podcast and wow,...... the dark heart of Jim makes his presence felt, can't see the lovely vulnerability between 1 broken person and 1 epically fucked up person. 
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Just started listening to the podcast and wow,...... the dark heart of Jim makes his presence felt, can't see the lovely vulnerability between 1 broken person and 1 epically fucked up person. 
    True, but Jim's right, it totally reframes the episode if we consider Elliot is the mark instead of Olivia.
  • I could accept the possibility  that Olivia is a broken vulnerable person and she’s a dark army asset.
  • As an asian person listening to Aron  do mental gymnastics to not offend Chinese people  was hysterical. I know im sorry i shouldn’t have this laugh at Aron’s expense, but I just couldn’t help myself. 
    DoubleA_RonElisa
  • Absolutely loved The Expanse "doors and corners" reference in this episodes recap.  That was just way too perfect for the situation.  Also loved their rant about 11:16.  I admit that I have definitely not noticed that specific time being a recurring thing.  Glad I've got the guys' coverage to help fill in these blanks that clearly go over my head.
    Cory
  • They really went and named this episode Forbidden because it was episode 403? Cheeky wankers.
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    They really went and named this episode Forbidden because it was episode 403? Cheeky wankers.
    There was also forbidden love in the flashbacks.
  • Could Olivia’s mother have been killed in the Washington township project? It wouldn’t surprise me if this reveal comes to fruition, and it would track with Jim’s suspicions of her being a Dark Army asset.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    adobo1148 said:
    Could Olivia’s mother have been killed in the Washington township project? It wouldn’t surprise me if this reveal comes to fruition, and it would track with Jim’s suspicions of her being a Dark Army asset.
    For what it's worth, when they're first talking in the bar, Olivia said that her mother died in back in Columbia.  Then later, in the bathroom she says she was murdered but does not specify how or where.

Who knows if she's telling the truth at all though...
  • edited October 2019
    I sent in an email but I'm surprised and a bit bewildered that @A_Ron_Hubbard and Jim just dismissed that it could have been Dan Carlin's Hardcore history on Janice's stereo.  It most certainly was, and here is the clip they used  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cncsR25Dg&feature=youtu.be

And, as I posted in last weeks episode thread, it wasn't just the prophet aspect of the podcast, it was also the part where the anabaptists were skinned alive, and since they played this particular episode in a taxidermy shop, this very well could foreshadow some disturbing stuff for Dom and the people around her.
    podcartfan
  • Really dug the extended musical outro on the podcast... more of that, please.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Ya the music was fantastic at the end. 
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    The kid Vera should have permanently deafened in one ear is actually just another persona of Vera.
  • The Boy George on MTV reference to their situation was pretty obvious and a nice touch, but the Thing trailer reference was an ever cooler wink.