And The Band Played On

A. Ron.  Watch And the Band Played On on HBO.   Based on a book, an HBO movie from before hbo was hbo.  It’s takes you through the early days of the AIDS crisis in a very compelling way.  
mostlywrightOpusWhoVikki12

Comments

• I have seen this movie a lot. Highly recommended. Told from the scientific community's POV.   
  • The whole story this gets at gets my vote for most currently underappreciated trauma.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a whole generation of your friends wiped out around you and then (depending on your historical timing) within 5-15 or so years even the people in your community only vaguely understand what you went though.
  • rjodierna said:
    A. Ron.  Watch And the Band Played On on HBO.   Based on a book, an HBO movie from before hbo was hbo.  It’s takes you through the early days of the AIDS crisis in a very compelling way.  
    Yes! This movie is why I am an epidemiologist!  It was on repeat on HBO while I was in college, on the pre-med treadmill, but actually had no desire to be a clinician.  Watching the scenes where the sociologist is interviewing the flight attendant about his sexual history and puts together the first cluster, I was like, OK how do I do this, what degree do I need, where do I go to school?  Now that I teach this stuff, I subject my students to this movie every year.  There are things about it that didn't age well (Pac man scene) but the epi holds up!

Linking this all back to The Deuce, I think the guys were a little hard on the public health response to the closing of the bath houses.  This movie does a pretty good job of showing just how integral to the early epidemic those bath houses were. 
    Dee