102 - Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship (Spoilers)

edited October 28 in Watchmen
Can I offer you a nice egg in these trying times? 
MurderbearElisa

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Another great episode. The reveal of Will being her grandfather was awesome. I didn't really see that coming at all and it was nice. Really wondering who his "friends in high places" are though! Sucks she got her car stolen. Ha! Henry Louis Gates showing up was a perfect touch too.

I think Judd was the second person in her house on the White Night. Why wouldn't they have killed her? What happened to her husband? Did he get shot too? How is he okay? I haven't quite figured out why he would keep her alive but I would guess it has something to do with him knowing who she is and she is related to. Maybe as way to draw Hooded Justice out? I don't know. Something doesn't sit right with me about it all. Judd is going to be a very interesting person to learn about.
    ElisaEine Fraunstinson
  • I don't know why the 2 candles stood out to me but they did. Also that wake was racist AF. Loved the episode.
  • edited October 28
    After liking but being a little lost in the first episode, I thought this one was really great. It filled in a lot of the background I thought I needed to feel grounded while leaving a whole lot still in the air.

It seemed to me like Judd was the second Cavalryman at first, but thinking about it I wonder if it's not a red herring. I could see something like the Klan robes were his fathers and he keeps them as a reminder of the power/danger of anonymity.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether Will is good or bad. I do believe he's Hooded Justice, but this guy has presumably held on to this totem of Nazi German propaganda his entire life, is it that hard to believe he's romanticized fascism? I think in the comics they even talk about how the vigilantes are fascists. I'm assuming he's not affiliated with the Cavalrymen so possibly the factions in this world are more nuanced than cops and racists. Edit: Not Nazi propaganda so the fascism link isn't as strong, but I think the note will be important to his back story.

Also, I don't think I will ever be able to trust Bob Benson.
    ElisaOpusWho
  • Another great episode. The reveal of Will being her grandfather was awesome. I didn't really see that coming at all and it was nice. Really wondering who his "friends in high places" are though! Sucks she got her car stolen. Ha! Henry Louis Gates showing up was a perfect touch too.

I think Judd was the second person in her house on the White Night. Why wouldn't they have killed her? What happened to her husband? Did he get shot too? How is he okay? I haven't quite figured out why he would keep her alive but I would guess it has something to do with him knowing who she is and she is related to. Maybe as way to draw Hooded Justice out? I don't know. Something doesn't sit right with me about it all. Judd is going to be a very interesting person to learn about.
    Hey at least it wasn't the Grand National that was stolen. I would love to rock an old Grand National during the non winter months but they are quite pricey.

Great episode and part of me thinks that Judd was the 2nd person during the White Night attack on Angela and the clan robes are truly his and everything is how it seems but something in me is saying that it is all somehow a misdirect. Seems too straight forward for Lindelof.
  • Cracked up at ARon in the mask 
  • 7th grade me is giddy about "Egg Man" playing over the closing credits.

Anyone else feel like the ultra stylized action cinematography of the "AHS" robbery scene was a jab at Zack Snyder and his take on The Watchmen?

Murderbearksa1001OliviaD
  • Well, I guess Angela has been having misgivings about Judd and the police force since she doesn't come clean at all about the crime scene to her compatriots.  I'm not sure how she was really going to arrest Will and come out looking okay after waiting so long to speak up.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether Will is good or bad. I do believe he's Hooded Justice, but this guy has presumably held on to this totem of Nazi propaganda his entire life, is it that hard to believe he's romanticized fascism? I think in the comics they even talk about how the vigilantes are fascists. I'm assuming he's not affiliated with the Cavalrymen so possibly the factions in this world are more nuanced than cops and racists.

He had World War I German propaganda, not World War II.  

OpusWhojohnnytruantElisa
  • The American Hero Story segment felt like it was taking the piss out of Snyder's film with the slo-mo blood spray and exaggerated bone snaps.  Lindelof's having a lot of fun with this show.
    MrXken halesassyfontaine
  • Who needs internet when you got floating legos? 
    ksa1001OpusWho
  • He had World War I German propaganda, not World War II.  
    My mistake. Thanks.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited October 28
    If this whole Jeremy Irons subplot is doing what I think it's doing, it's fucking amazing. And that's all I can say about that right now. Also: it's moving faster than I thought! 

I also agree with the speculation that the repeated "Doctor Manhattan can't look like us" and "Doctor Manhattan is on Mars" are real suspicious, but I'm not really sure who he could be in this story. I also don't really like the idea of him being someone, as my understanding of his character is that he doesn't give enough of a fuck to play games. I'm more partial to the idea that "he can't look like us" is just establishing an important power limitation to non-Watchmen fans and "he's on Mars" is, yes, some impending misdirection.

I really liked the opening with the German guy speaking the truth to black Americans in WWI. That's some deep shit, to me, showing how if you're black and American you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. That truth extends far beyond the war. Angela can't go anywhere in this town without hearing scorn about the fact that she took money from the government — which in many cases is a conservative ideal. Correction: conservatives like taking money from the government pre-taxes, because that's a beef they share with rich people. Any connection to black people is scorned, I guess. But back to the point: This no-win scenario the German highlighted speaks to why a black man might strike off on his own and become a vigilante. It's a more compelling origin story to me than the typical white superhero seeking respect, justice and power. A black man in America just trying to find a way to exist, without betraying people or being scorned by them.
    Eine Frauksa1001Flukes
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    awookiee said:
    Another great episode. The reveal of Will being her grandfather was awesome. I didn't really see that coming at all and it was nice. Really wondering who his "friends in high places" are though! Sucks she got her car stolen. Ha! Henry Louis Gates showing up was a perfect touch too.

Hey at least it wasn't the Grand National that was stolen. I would love to rock an old Grand National during the non winter months but they are quite pricey.
    Yes. If I ever won the lottery or came into some money somehow, I would want a Grand National just like the one she has and a mid-late 90's Chevy Impala SS. Both jet black, black windows and suped up to hell and back. Love those cars!
    Whatever the line was, "There are so many things I would like to occur to you," was completely wonderful. 10/10, needed to hear Jeremy Irons say that.
    Flukes
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Well, I guess Angela has been having misgivings about Judd and the police force since she doesn't come clean at all about the crime scene to her compatriots.  I'm not sure how she was really going to arrest Will and come out looking okay after waiting so long to speak up.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether Will is good or bad. I do believe he's Hooded Justice, but this guy has presumably held on to this totem of Nazi propaganda his entire life, is it that hard to believe he's romanticized fascism? I think in the comics they even talk about how the vigilantes are fascists. I'm assuming he's not affiliated with the Cavalrymen so possibly the factions in this world are more nuanced than cops and racists.

He had World War I German propaganda, not World War II.  

In the comic, Hooded Justice was said to be a big fan of the Third Reich. So there's that.
    So this may just be viral marketing and an explanation for squid rain, but apparently giant squids produce human sized gooey egg sacks filled with hundreds of thousands of baby squid.

https://www.livescience.com/giant-squid-egg-sac.html
  • How do you tell the difference between a Grand National and a GNX?
  • edited October 28
    How do you tell the difference between a Grand National and a GNX?
    Honestly I think the only difference is badging and I believe the GNX had fender flares.  There weren't many GNXs made so they are a lot more rare. 

edit: after looking into it a bit the Grand Nationals also had fender flares so clearly don't listen to me lol...

Not sure how reputable the site is but.... https://buickturboregal.com/whats-difference-buick-grand-national-buick-gnx/

The Buick GNX was a “collector’s edition” Buick Regal Grand National with several aesthetic and performance modifications.

There were 547 GNX’s made by ASC.

What follows is a summary of these differences that can be found on the GNX’s:

* 245/50/16 front & 255/50/16 rear tires mounted on 16×8 black “honeycomb” wheels
    * fender flares on each wheel well
    * functional air louvers on the front cowls
    * analog instrument cluster with Stewart-Warner gauges
    * auxiliary transmission cooler mounted behind the front grille
    * “improved” Garrett turbo with ceramic impellers and a custom GNX cover
    * “improved” intercooler with serial number
    * GNX emblems (grill and trunk only)
    * serialized plaque on dashboard
    * ladder torque bar and panhard rod for better traction
    * GNX graphic differential cover
    * “improved” hydraulics in the transmission for firmer shifts
    * dual exhaust from cat-back with separate mufflers for each pipe

MurderbearPangs
  • Peteypedia has been updated.
    https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

lol so meta:

Because American Hero Story: Minutemen is a period piece — and because AHS, in general, fictionalizes real-world events enough to qualify as “alternative history” — it’s possible that contemporary audiences won’t see any relevance to current circumstances or even take it seriously. However, given the reverence among conservative psychographics for Edward Blake, aka The Comedian (WS: Super-Soldier/Nihilist), and given the liberal perspective of the storytelling, we should expect a critical take on The Comedian that might irritate and antagonize his “fans.”

JaimieT
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    MrX said:
    7th grade me is giddy about "Egg Man" playing over the closing credits.

Anyone else feel like the ultra stylized action cinematography of the "AHS" robbery scene was a jab at Zack Snyder and his take on The Watchmen?

The AHS scene reminded me of a certain Summer movie this year.
  • Peteypedia has been updated.
    https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
    Judd's family history...father had/has a twin uncle...hmmmm...
  • Wow. The show seemingly is cancelling itself. Boring and mysterious on top of mysteries lol. The dialogue so far is lackluster. Regina is a competent actress but somehow they almost turned her into a block of wood. I'm black and I didn't ask for this shite. Jeez. NEXT.
    ^^ This guy is a troll. He was cheering that a black cop was shot because the cop was black in the episode 1 thread while lamenting the lack of civility in America. Heads up.
    Teresa from ConcordPangsElisaken haleFlukessassyfontaine
  • Nope, sorry @JaimieT. A rogue cop itching to shoot a guy for a mask doesn't get a pass from me no matter what color he is. Should I be happy to get shot or roughed up in real life because the officer shares my skin tone? That was rhetorical.
  • shing said:
     Should I be happy to get shot or roughed up in real life because the officer shares my skin tone? 
    Bit of a straw man, don't you think? 
    edited October 29
    shing said:
    Nope, sorry @JaimieT. A rogue cop itching to shoot a guy for a mask doesn't get a pass from me no matter what color he is. Should I be happy to get shot or roughed up in real life because the officer shares my skin tone? That was rhetorical.
    Not sure if you genuinely completely missed what was going on in the scene or if you can't see past your own racism. There was no rogue cop action. No one was itching to shoot a guy. The cop played it exactly by the book. The guy he pulled over gave him a veiled threat and had a mask that associated him with a group that hunts down and murders cops. Oh, and the guy was a terrorist and did shoot him. The only problem you seem to have with him is that he's Black.
    Renitom_gKillert0astElisasassyfontaine
    edited October 29
  • @Hunkulese "can't see past your own racism"...It is truly racist to believe that black people are monolith in thought. You know or should know for a fact that all black people are not liberal, left leaning, or Democrats. To believe or say otherwise is racist. If you are not black and believe that you know what black people should want or like, racist still.

Up to the point in the story, it is not clear who the guy that was pulled over is, what he believes in, what he agrees with, or whether he committed any acts of violence up til the point of the stop. It is also not clear to me, at least, what those cops did to white people before the White Night.

@Dummy, please explain how it is a bit of straw man. @JaimieT mistakenly believed I was calling for civility in the face of political violence. I don't believe people being physically attacked for their beliefs should curl up and die. Just because black people in the show have authoritative power doesn't mean that it is ok to wield it in the manner depicted in the show. That is what is happening more and more in real life and it isn't racist to believe that it is wrong.
    @shing You might be outright breaking rule #12 at this point. Are you aware of rule #12? You should read it, and I can tell you the sort of bad faith arguments you're making (or just bad arguments, from an argumentation standpoint) haven't been allowed on this forum in the past. This is on the off-chance you care.
  • I don't think you are able to explain coherently how I'm breaking rule #12. It is not a conservative talking point to say that political violence is wrong. Martin Luther King Jr didn't espouse that and neither did Malcolm X from what I understand of his message. In Malcolm's case, I don't recall him being in favor of black people wresting control and harshly ruling over white people, especially towards the end of his life, he didn't. I do care, but it really seems that you want to attack me and instead of really looking at what this show is saying.