103 - She Was Killed by Space Junk (Spoilers)

Comments

• So Looking Glass asked Agent Blake for the clicker back then turned off the screens before answering any of her questions. Was that so Agent Blake couldn't read his eye reactions to the slides in the pod? No one can see his face when the slides are on cuz he's always wearing his mask.
    Doctor_NickBroRad33
  • Hunkulese said:
    Is everyone reading along with the Peteypedia? Since I haven't, a lot of the Judd discussion went over my head. I wonder how much of this will make it into the show. It seems like it's more than just supplemental color at this point.
    I'm in Canada and I'd love to read the Peteypedia stuff but the HBO website keeps redirecting me to the Canadian site where I cant seem to find the Petey Files. Anyone able to help me with this? I'm not very well versed in VPNs, wold that be a thing? Are there free ones? Help! I wanna read all the things!
    The easiest way is to just use a different browser. When you go to hbo.com it'll ask you if you want to switch to Crave, if you switch to Crave it'll always switch you unless you delete your cookies. But if you click on stay on hbo.com, you can stay on hbo.com. This setting is saved in your browser, so it's extremely simple unless you've already done the switch to Crave on multiple browsers.
    thank you! now i just need to figure out the password for the crave account....
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    Is everyone reading along with the Peteypedia? Since I haven't, a lot of the Judd discussion went over my head. I wonder how much of this will make it into the show. It seems like it's more than just supplemental color at this point.
    I'm in Canada and I'd love to read the Peteypedia stuff but the HBO website keeps redirecting me to the Canadian site where I cant seem to find the Petey Files. Anyone able to help me with this? I'm not very well versed in VPNs, wold that be a thing? Are there free ones? Help! I wanna read all the things!
    The easiest way is to just use a different browser. When you go to hbo.com it'll ask you if you want to switch to Crave, if you switch to Crave it'll always switch you unless you delete your cookies. But if you click on stay on hbo.com, you can stay on hbo.com. This setting is saved in your browser, so it's extremely simple unless you've already done the switch to Crave on multiple browsers.
    Unless you're talking about something else, you don't need your Crave password. Whatever browser you're using, Chrome, Firefox, Sierra, Edge?, just use one of the other ones and make sure to never click on the take me to Canada choice.
  • Hunkulese said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Unless you're talking about something else, you don't need your Crave password. Whatever browser you're using, Chrome, Firefox, Sierra, Edge?, just use one of the other ones and make sure to never click on the take me to Canada choice.
    I usually use Firefox but im trying Chrome too. i couldn't find it and when i found watchmen info it asked me to login in to gain access. Your help is very much appreciated, i feel like such a noob! i found some direct links on reddit but i'd like to browse around and experience it  like it's supposed to be.

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    Hunkulese said:
    I usually use Firefox but im trying Chrome too. i couldn't find it and when i found watchmen info it asked me to login in to gain access. Your help is very much appreciated, i feel like such a noob! i found some direct links on reddit but i'd like to browse around and experience it  like it's supposed to be.

It's all at https://www.hbo.com/peteypediaJust go there with whatever browser you haven't gone to the Canadian site on and make sure you click on the American side when it asks what site you want to go to.
    sassyfontaine
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Volume 1 of the soundtrack is out now on streaming services!
    cdrivesassyfontaine
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    "Product Alert
    Due to unprecedented demand this product is currently unavailable. At this time, there is no estimate on when there will be additional stock; however, if you have already pre-ordered this product your order will be shipped after the 11/04 release date"

FUCK!
  • As Jim pointed out in the instant take, it was rather funny that the bomber had a heart monitor on but not an actual deadman's switch.....
    cdrive said:
    "Product Alert
    Due to unprecedented demand this product is currently unavailable. At this time, there is no estimate on when there will be additional stock; however, if you have already pre-ordered this product your order will be shipped after the 11/04 release date"

FUCK!
    Space Junk?
  • Volume 1 of the soundtrack is out now on streaming services!

Sweet, thanks for the heads up! Listening on Spotify now. Will likely have it on repeat for work all day.

Murderbearbizmarkiefadersassyfontaine
  • MrX said:
    Volume 1 of the soundtrack is out now on streaming services!

Sweet, thanks for the heads up! Listening on Spotify now. Will likely have it on repeat for work all day.

Update: yup it's a banger. "NUN WITH A MOTHERF*&ING GUN" rules and is an amazing name for a song. Some of the "AHS" and other voice-over tracks maybe break the flow a bit but otherwise it's an awesome album up there with "The Social Network".

Murderbear
  • It seems like everyone considers veidt to be locked up by Manhattan. Which there is plenty of evidence veidt is in captivity of some kind. I can’t see Manhattan keeping veidt prisoner though. The characterization of doctor Manhattan is that he doesn’t care about humanity or it’s problems. Why would he put veidt in prison? I can’t see him locking veidt up for the events of watchmen. Given his no care attitude towards earth. Why would Manhattan care about revenge on veidt? 
    BroRad33Elisa
    cdrive said:
    "Product Alert

FUCK!
    Space Junk?
    The first round of vinyl already got all gobbled up. :\ 
    cdrive said:
    cdrive said:
    "Product Alert

FUCK!
    Space Junk?
    Man, anytime Trent puts something super cool out on vinyl, it's either suuuuper limited or suuuuper expensive. A lot of times it's both, unfortunately. He put out The Fragile: Deviations, a record I VERY much wanted, was $80. That's a bit much. And of course is never released in any other format.
    cdrive said:
    cdrive said:
    "Product Alert

FUCK!
    Space Junk?
    Man, anytime Trent puts something super cool out on vinyl, it's either suuuuper limited or suuuuper expensive. A lot of times it's both, unfortunately. He put out The Fragile: Deviations, a record I VERY much wanted, was $80. That's a bit much. And of course is never released in any other format.
    Yep. Exactly why I’m trying to get this thing ! Just got notification from Amazon that it’s available again and I immediately go to the link and it’s unavailable again. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited November 2019
    I'm basing this on the instant cast, but I thought it was some atheism bias perhaps that had Aron saying that it probably wasn't Doctor Manhattan who dropped the car. Believe me, I'm saying this as an atheist who has been obsessed with reasoning this year... not to score some lame "you're wrong" points, haha. I'm actually surprised how few people think Doctor Manhattan dropped the car! 

Using Bayesian probability, it is far, far the most likely explanation that Doctor Manhattan dropped that car. We know Doctor Manhattan exists and has that power. We know he's more interested in Laurie than other humans. And the weakest link but still worth mentioning (because some people might see this as the strongest link) is the timing of Laurie having broadcast a signal to Mars discussing a similar situation.

This, as opposed to... what? And then somehow this unknown thing is more likely? This reasoning via unobserved hypotheticals is the kind of thing that gets people to believe in a god...

Anyway, this is a work of fiction so there are other factors that influence what we determine to be likely. So if you're not having fun with this, ignore it. ;)
    Hatorian
    Logsblogs said:
    It seems like everyone considers veidt to be locked up by Manhattan. Which there is plenty of evidence veidt is in captivity of some kind. I can’t see Manhattan keeping veidt prisoner though. The characterization of doctor Manhattan is that he doesn’t care about humanity or it’s problems. Why would he put veidt in prison? I can’t see him locking veidt up for the events of watchmen. Given his no care attitude towards earth. Why would Manhattan care about revenge on veidt? 

The simplest explanation is that if Veidt is in captivity then Doctor Manhattan's powers are the only means which could accomplish the kind of captivity we're seeing. Anything else is unknown.
    Logsblogs
    JaimieT said:
    I'm basing this on the instant cast, but I thought it was some atheism bias perhaps that had Aron saying that it probably wasn't Doctor Manhattan who dropped the car. Believe me, I'm saying this as an atheist who has been obsessed with reasoning this year... not to score some lame "you're wrong" points, haha. I'm actually surprised how few people think Doctor Manhattan dropped the car! 

Using Bayesian probability, it is far, far the most likely explanation that Doctor Manhattan dropped that car. We know Doctor Manhattan exists and has that power. We know he's more interested in Laurie than other humans. And the weakest link but still worth mentioning, is the timing of Laurie having broadcast a signal to Mars discussing a similar situation.

This, as opposed to... what? And then somehow this unknown thing is more likely?

Anyway, this is a work of fiction so there are other factors that influence what we determine to be likely. So if you're not having fun with this, ignore it. ;)
    I don't know if I would consider Laurie just getting off the phone talking about dropping a brick out of nowhere and killing God the weakest link to any proof it was Dr. Manhattan. It's probably the strongest argument, in my opinion. She also had that knowing smile right at the end as she stared into the night sky.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2019
    Logsblogs said:
    It seems like everyone considers veidt to be locked up by Manhattan. Which there is plenty of evidence veidt is in captivity of some kind. I can’t see Manhattan keeping veidt prisoner though. The characterization of doctor Manhattan is that he doesn’t care about humanity or it’s problems. Why would he put veidt in prison? I can’t see him locking veidt up for the events of watchmen. Given his no care attitude towards earth. Why would Manhattan care about revenge on veidt? 

We are missing what has transpired in the intervening years. I doubt that he locked Veidt up because of what happened in the original Watchmen events. But Veidt's disappearance is more recent, and also wasn't Manhattan planning on leaving this galaxy at the end of the comic? So something happened to bring him back into our solar system - likely related to whatever caused him to imprison Veidt .. .so there is more to be revealed.
    awookieeElisaMurderbearsassyfontaine
    edited November 2019
    JaimieT said:

Using Bayesian probability, it is far, far the most likely explanation that Doctor Manhattan dropped that car. We know Doctor Manhattan exists and has that power. We know he's more interested in Laurie than other humans. And the weakest link but still worth mentioning, is the timing of Laurie having broadcast a signal to Mars discussing a similar situation.

This, as opposed to... what? And then somehow this unknown thing is more likely?

I don't know if I would consider Laurie just getting off the phone talking about dropping a brick out of nowhere and killing God the weakest link to any proof it was Dr. Manhattan. It's probably the strongest argument, in my opinion. She also had that knowing smile right at the end as she stared into the night sky.

Yes, because we see patterns and that's strong proof on an ape/animal level. All this is, though, is correlation. Now, I will grant that it's several correlations. The subject matter, the timing, and even the booth providing her the means. It's only the means supposedly though, since I'd need to see proof those booths even work (and this is getting into the nitty gritty of fiction, admittedly). Strong correlation, on 3 levels (that I see), is good.

But far and away the best proof is (1) Laurie's relationship with Manhattan, (2) Manhattan having the ability and (3) only Manhattan having this ability that we know of. That's close to watertight. Precedence is stronger than correlation.

(And all of this could change next episode with more information, obvs.)
    edited November 2019
    MrX said:
    Logsblogs said:

We are missing what has transpired in the intervening years. I doubt that he locked Veidt up because of what happened in the original Watchmen events. But Veidt's disappearance is more recent, and also wasn't Manhattan planning on leaving this galaxy at the end of the comic? So something happened to bring him back into our solar system - likely related to whatever caused him to imprison Veidt .. .so there is more to be revealed.
    Something cool I saw on r/watchmen. The first comment gives good context. https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchmen/comments/dsfaal/an_interesting_parallel_between_the_show_and_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
    Logsblogs
    edited November 2019
    Take it this way, @Murderbear.... Separating this out a little. People pray for things all the time and the things happen. By itself, this is terrible proof that their prayer had anything to do with it or the paradigm within their prayer is true. But people fucking love this as proof, and they ignore the stronger factors of precedence, etc, that would either agree or disagree with their conclusion.

That's kind of what I meant when I said Aron might have had an atheist bias in wanting to assume the prayer situation is a sham, despite other evidence to the contrary unrelated to the prayer.

(Again, this is just a fun reasoning exercise. Because this is a work of fiction what is "likely" in the story does not conform to what is likely in reality as far as its predictive value.)
    Murderbear
  • The problems with the Manhattan dropping it theory are:

1- He almost certainly didn't take the car in the first place given that the air ship that took it seemed very mechanical

2- As in 1, Manhattan isn't the only one with the ability, whoever took the car has the ability.

3.  Laurie's other ex also, Nite Owl, also has the ability, given that he made Archie.  
    The problems with the Manhattan dropping it theory are:

1- He almost certainly didn't take the car in the first place given that the air ship that took it seemed very mechanical

2- As in 1, Manhattan isn't the only one with the ability, whoever took the car has the ability.

3.  Laurie's other ex also, Nite Owl, also has the ability, given that he made Archie.  

1 - The evidence here is the thing that took the car was mechanical. Yes. Your assertion is justified, but not proven. (Which by itself is fine.)

2 - Your evidence here is your unproven assertion in #1 so the conclusion is unsubstantiated. 

3 - Nice. Really nice. I like the thematic juxtaposition here too, and I'm glad you showed me this. However, I'd say it hasn't been yet demonstrated that the Archie's tech can carry cars around like that. I'm not sure it's that powerful or the power can be used in that way, which isn't true for Doctor Manhattan.

Overall a sound rebuttal. I fall back on my previous assertions (the weak proof of the prayer, then DM's existence, DM's ability and DM's historical interest in Laurie). I still give DM a solid edge with these things. If it were someone other than Laurie, I wouldn't be arguing that DM is more likely.

And in a situation where the Nite Owl might be out of prison, that's where the prayer gives it the edge, which might have been what @Murderbear was sussing out.

It could be that the Nite Owl was listening into the prayer... I like that idea.
    Murderbear
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2019
    Dan, Nite Owl, was big into the history of masks and was the one hanging out with Hollis Mason going over the old times.  He could easily be friends with Hooded Justice after being turned onto him through Hollis or other means.  
    Elisasassyfontaine
    Da, Nite Owl, was big into the history of masks and was the one hanging out with Hollis Mason going over the old times.  He could easily be friends with Hooded Justice after being turned onto him through Hollis or other means.  

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I fully expect to see the Nite Owl soon, and I think he's the one doing that. 

My argumentation broke down because I wasn't assuming public knowledge of the Archie (I'm not sure why, except that it's unclear). It was probably an exercise in futility to begin with. I just found the Doctor Manhattan / god/s prayer evidence interesting.
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    After the watchmen podcast pointed out the commonality of the brick joke, was anyone else reminded of Wanda’s joke from season 2 of bojack?
  • Do we know when the video version of the Watchmen podcast is uploaded to YouTube? Still waiting on it.
  • Just a comment on the heart monitored bomb from a medical perspective.

The bomb was monitoring electrical activity of the heart.  With a severe head injury, the heart would have been fibrillating - an irregular disorganised electrical activity in a heart that's dying.  This disorganised activity isn't enough to trigger the heart to pump properly, but would still be recognised by any heart monitor.  This rhythm would often then degrade to an agonal rhythm - a very slow electrical activity.

So the slow build up and intensifying alarm actually makes perfect sense from a medical perspective and I thought they did it perfectly (albeit still a bit dramatised, as you would expect with a television show).  In fact, I would have been calling bull if it had instantly exploded as that wouldn't have been realistic at all. 
    HatorianCretanBullJaimieTMoonMan13
  • I especially like how it made intensifying beeping noises to let everyone know to get away from the device.  

Railrider said:
    Just a comment on the heart monitored bomb from a medical perspective.

The bomb was monitoring electrical activity of the heart.  With a severe head injury, the heart would have been fibrillating - an irregular disorganised electrical activity in a heart that's dying.  This disorganised activity isn't enough to trigger the heart to pump properly, but would still be recognised by any heart monitor.  This rhythm would often then degrade to an agonal rhythm - a very slow electrical activity.

So the slow build up and intensifying alarm actually makes perfect sense from a medical perspective and I thought they did it perfectly (albeit still a bit dramatised, as you would expect with a television show).  In fact, I would have been calling bull if it had instantly exploded as that wouldn't have been realistic at all. 

MoonMan13