103 - She Was Killed by Space Junk (Spoilers)

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Railrider said:
    Just a comment on the heart monitored bomb from a medical perspective.

The bomb was monitoring electrical activity of the heart.  With a severe head injury, the heart would have been fibrillating - an irregular disorganised electrical activity in a heart that's dying.  This disorganised activity isn't enough to trigger the heart to pump properly, but would still be recognised by any heart monitor.  This rhythm would often then degrade to an agonal rhythm - a very slow electrical activity.

So the slow build up and intensifying alarm actually makes perfect sense from a medical perspective and I thought they did it perfectly (albeit still a bit dramatised, as you would expect with a television show).  In fact, I would have been calling bull if it had instantly exploded as that wouldn't have been realistic at all. 
    Yes, all of this is true but it's such a dumb conceit for someone to do. Like, if you're going to threaten someone with a bomb that is attached to your heart, what's the point if someone can shoot you in the head and it gives you a warning and plenty of time to run away? If these guys were really serious, they would attach it to their brain activity. But, like you said, it had to be a little more dramatized for television.

Also, kind of amazing that in a funeral filled with police officers, Angela is the only one to really spring into action.
    ElisaMoonMan13
  • I haven’t read the originals in detail so I just assumed the car was Dr Mahanharttan. Not sure how else that scene is supposed to be interpreted without it being explicit that her communication with him caused him to do that. I’m surprised to read and hear that there is any arguments that the car was not him. 

I’m also expecting the big reveal to be that Ozy is on Mars. And his experiments are ways to get off. Thus the frozen butler. 
    JaimieTElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The escalating beeping wasn't for the dumb people in the show; it's for the dumb people watching the show. This kind of shorthand doesn't feel insulting to my intelligence though, because to work around it would take up more show time and I don't care about explosions that much. That's not why I'm watching.

But I do think it's an indictment on the show in some capacity that this is what's captured our imaginations. 
    Hatoriansassyfontaine
  • It would be interesting to time her leaving the box to the car dropping. If it’s 40 seconds then there’s no doubt it’s him. I Guess I’ll have to watch the scene again and time it. 
  • Hatorian said:
    It would be interesting to time her leaving the box to the car dropping. If it’s 40 seconds then there’s no doubt it’s him. I Guess I’ll have to watch the scene again and time it. 
    I'm trying not to think about this too in depth because we really have no idea as an audience.  I believe it's the same car that Will was taken up in by the magnet which everyone assumes that was Night Owl so I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to think.  Time will tell. 
    HatorianElisasassyfontaine
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2019
    They have made it clear they have some communication system from Mars to Earth. Having Ozy trying to find a way to get to that device on Mars is the most logical explanation. Especially with the unknown character keeping him within a certain boundary. As well as the clear communication he is dead and it would make sense a journey to communicate he is alive is his goal. It would be wild to think he’s actually flinging his test subjects somehow out of Earth. Saying he needs a stronger wool as well as what basically equates to a genius level home built astranout suit. If seems to me that he is testing a solution that would allow him to travel some distance but not flinging himself from earth to somewhere else. 
    edited November 2019
    So earlier I was arguing that if this were a real-world situation I think it's more likely Doctor Manhattan was behind the car falling.

But since this is a story, and maybe this might shed some light on why others are thinking this, I don't think it's Doctor Manhattan. (1) Good stories are usually twist-y and DM is the obvious direction here, so it's less likely to be him. This seems to be a good story. We know the writer is good and so is the distributor. (2) There's less narrative possibilities if you bring in DM this early, so it's less likely to be DM. DM is a god; his will goes; he can shut the story down fast. And if DM is just like, "I won't interfere," there's not a lot of narrative value to a scene like that. Jim often says stuff to this effect in the podcast. However, I fucking love when stories try to buck these constraints [and this is exactly the sort of shit I enjoy writing, for that reason] so I'm alllllll fucking for this but most stories don't go here. Believe me, I've noticed. (3) Related to point 1, since the Nite Owl is a question mark it makes sense they'd pivot to him eventually, and the tech lines up. Also his relationship to Laurie. So that raises the likelihood it's the Nite Owl. 
    Elisasassyfontaine
    edited November 2019
    Just watched it. It is EXACTLY 40 seconds from her hang up. 50:50 to 51:30...

boom
    cdriveTeresa from Concord
  • To the second
    awookiee
  • She held the phone for 1 or 2 seconds after the call ended but it really almost 40 seconds exactly. 
  • Rewatching 5 times. The lady on the phone says thank you for contacting Dr M at 50:49 and the car drops at 51:29
  • No way that’s a coincidence. 
    sassyfontaine
    Hypothetical: if the car didn't drop at 40 seconds, say it was 20 seconds or 50 seconds, would you still feel strongly the story was telling you Doctor Manhattan did it?
    edited November 2019
    Yes, because I thought that before the timing. 

And now with that exact 40 second difference I’m 100%
    JaimieT
  • And we are talking lindelof here. There is no way this isn’t purposeful 
  • During this 40 seconds we also get a shot of the communication device clearly making a noise which to me signals he’s receiving it instantly
  • We will see. But I’m definitely coming for my internet points if this gets confirmed later in the season.
  • edited November 2019
    Hatorian said:
    We will see. But I’m definitely coming for my internet points if this gets confirmed later in the season.
    You need to charge your phone ;)  I think the logical reasoning says that it was Dr. Manhattan but I think you deserve extra points regardless for taking the time to watch it as many times as you did to figure out it's exactly 40 seconds.  
    Hatorian
  • JaimieT said:
    The escalating beeping wasn't for the dumb people in the show; it's for the dumb people watching the show. This kind of shorthand doesn't feel insulting to my intelligence though, because to work around it would take up more show time and I don't care about explosions that much. That's not why I'm watching.

But I do think it's an indictment on the show in some capacity that this is what's captured our imaginations. 
    Oh, I think it serves to make sure the Senator gets away from the bomb.  Otherwise you wouldn't need any fancy heart monitors, you'd just be holding an instant switch like a normal low tech suicide bomber.  Who puts a Dead Man's switch on a delay?  What happens if they just tazed him and didn't kill him?
    CapeGabe
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I’m interested in Angela’s file that was flashed onscreen during the FBI briefing. Her education is listed as “Anh Linh High School.” There is a school in Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon called Anh Linh Free School that was opened by the sisters of the congregation of Notre Dame to provide education to children of sex workers initially but then expanded to underprivileged, orphaned, abandoned, etc. children. As far as I can tell using online translators, “anh linh” means “heroic spirit” in English. Translate the words separately, and you get “brother” and “soldier.” I read that Alan Moore had considered the name Brother Night for Hooded Justice, but I wonder if this school info could relate to Lindelof’s origin story for Sister Night.
    JaimieTsassyfontaineMrXawookiee
    edited November 2019
    Also, I had the same reaction as Laurie to DOPA. I cannot hear DOPA and not think of DOMA, The Defense of Marriage Act that Clinton signed into law, federalizing marriage as a union between a man and a woman. 

And I'm loving the continued use of split diopter shots that Nicole Kassell established in her episodes, as well as the match cuts. The editing is pretty great so far.

JaimieT
    Nice! I just learned about split diopter shots in a YT essay.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited November 2019
    Hatorian said:
    No way that’s a coincidence. 
    I thought it was a pretty on the nose symbol for religion. When you go to church, they tell you to pray to God and that he's listening. It makes you feel better to have someone to talk to. If God does exist, he's probably not listening to everyone's prayers. If you pray to God and ask him to help you ace a test and then you ace the test, it doesn't prove God exists. It's a coincidence.

One of the last things Dr. Manhattan says in the comic before he leaves Earth forever is that human affairs cannot be his concern. Why would he be listening to calls from Earth? I'm 99% sure that the phone booths are a scam. They're nothing more than telling people to pray. Gives them a higher power to talk to to make them feel better. For Laurie, it sure looks like an act of Dr. Manhattan (God), but the audience was given a very mechanical and real reason why a car is in the sky in the first place at the end of the last episode.

Dr. Manhattan could literally do anything to show Laurie he was listening. Why would he drop a car in front of her? The simplest explanation of why they chose to drop a car is that we know it's not from him but she doesn't.
    JaimieTawookieeBloodyTacosassyfontaineMoonMan13
    edited November 2019
    Hunkulese said:
    Hatorian said:
    No way that’s a coincidence. 
    I thought it was a pretty on the nose symbol for religion. When you go to church, they tell you to pray to God and that he's listening. It makes you feel better to have someone to talk to. If God does exist, he's probably not listening to everyone's prayers. If you pray to God and ask him to help you ace a test and then you ace the test, it doesn't prove God exists. It's a coincidence.

One of the last things Dr. Manhattan says in the comic before he leaves Earth forever is that human affairs cannot be his concern. Why would he be listening to calls from Earth? I'm 99% sure that the phone booths are a scam. They're nothing more than telling people to pray. Gives them a higher power to talk to to make them feel better. For Laurie, it sure looks like an act of Dr. Manhattan (God), but the audience was given a very mechanical and real reason why a car is in the sky in the first place at the end of the last episode.

Dr. Manhattan could literally do anything to show Laurie he was listening. Why would he drop a car in front of her? The simplest explanation of why they chose to drop a car is that we know it's not from him but she doesn't.
    2 counterpoints

1. You say he doesn’t care about humanity yet we clearly see him building and destroying a prison for a human. So I disagree he doesn’t care at all. He obviously does. And simply him leaving humanity is proof in itself he cares as he understands its better for him to leave than be there.  I mean we all say “I don’t care” in certain situations when we clearly do. Like if you’re GF/BF breaks up with you of course you’re gonna say I don’t care. But then you’re gonna go home and cry. 

All the evidence I see is Dr M clearly cares about Earth. There’s much more evidence he cares than he doesn’t. The only evidence he doesn’t care is he moved to Mars and he said he doesn’t. Not very strong argument. 

And pre-empting the argument then why doesn’t he help earth? There’s no evidence he isn’t. There is no WW3. Ozy is gone. The biggest threat we have seen is a local state racist militia. Which would be the equivalent of you or me deciding to get involved in trying to clean up a street and recycle the trash halfway across the country

He also stays within close distance to earth where if he really was cosmic and didn’t care why is he simply sitting on an empty planet? Why wouldn’t he completely disappear and abandon earth. His actions, to me, show he still cares and is watching. 

2. The joke Laurie gives his literally exactly what happens after she leaves the booth. So it’s just a coincidence that she makes this joke about the brick falling and it’s exactly 40 seconds? 

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2019
    2. Nite Owl could listen in as well. And we know something that looked very mechanical took the car in the first place, probably not Dr. Manhattan. 

2. The joke Laurie gives his literally exactly what happens after she leaves the booth. So it’s just a coincidence that she makes this joke about the brick falling and it’s exactly 40 seconds? 

JaimieTawookiee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    It’s funny how it never crossed my mind that the bomb plot at the funeral was fake. I heard A_Ron’s take and read the posts, so I did a re-watch. I still don’t see it. 

Lets say the fake out was successful - how would it all end? The Senator goes with the bomber and escapes later? Or he takes out the bomber to seem like a hero? The Senator already supports public policy that’s anti-white suprematism. 

I don't think I’ll have to wait too long to get answers. This show is moving fast and I love it!
    awookieesassyfontaine
    JaimieT said:
    Nice! I just learned about split diopter shots in a YT essay.
    Oh cool, which one?

@Teresa from Concord Keene's DOPA is not necessarily anti-white supremacy. It's a piece of legislation that empowers the cops immensely and crushes the civil rights of others. In Tulsa, it's likely that DOPA permitted the 7K to infiltrate the police after the White Night (just like white supremacists have done so with police IRL). If other cities adopt it, it could put Keene in the White House, and then they would have another white supremacist president.

I don't think it's coincidental that DOPA rhymes with DOMA, a bad piece of legislation that conservatives wanted passed to protect their regressive worldview and restrict the Constitutional rights of others who were not like them.
    JaimieT
    edited November 2019
    Another interview with Lindelof that has some new tidbits. @A_Ron_Hubbard will be happy to hear that Lindelof regrets using the term “remix.” Around the 39-min. mark, Fienberg asks Lindelof if he reached out to Ta-Nehisi Coates, and the story is pretty good.

@pavlovsbell This one.

pavlovsbell