405 - Method Not Allowed

Holy smokes, I thought this was a really great episode. I'm a sucker for long scenes where a lot is happening and no dialouge, and this was basically an entire episode of that. I would say there is a couple scenes where it was a little weird there was no dialogue like when Dom got to her mom's or Darlene getting past the security guard, but it isn't like it's impossible and they made sense in context. Poor Krista can't catch a break. Thoughts? 
Elisa

Comments

• edited November 4
    Anyone who would go with with Harry and Kate stockings over Jay and Bey is no friend of mine. Good call Krista!
    Elisaksa1001
  • Im calling it...............Mr Robot won the fucking week
  • OH FUCK!!!!!!!!!! 
  • edited November 4
     The most flimsy non dialogue scenes were when the guard is locked in the server room and when he sees Elliot holding the door, wouldn’t he be yelling  “Open the door motherfucker!!!”
  • edited November 4
    adobo1148 said:
    Anyone who would go with with Harry and Kate stockings over Jay and Bey is no friend of mine. Good call Krista!
    Sorry, Will and Kate 
  • edited November 4
    The guys will probably go non dialogue at the beginning of the podcast just to see how long it holds up before one of them breaks and says “We need to talk”
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh man, how many people would even get it if we uploaded our intro, outro, and about 1hr15min of silence as a joke episode? Although, all jokes aside, I bet it is a short podcast, because usually action heavy episodes are, and this is 95% action, 5% dialog (the texting does give a bit of meat on the bones).

Also, there were some really impressive one takes of Elliot running through traffic. I wonder if that was coordinated or CG or all of the above?
    Elisaadobo1148Flukes
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The shots of Elliot running from the cops felt weirdly slapstick, it felt so out of place from the normal Mr Robot heist sequences. I guess it would because this is the first time they've really gotten caught in real time by the conventional security they usually blow past but Elliot trying to run through an ice skating rink was really silly.
    PangsElisaFlukes
  • Dummy said:
    Holy smokes, I thought this was a really great episode. I'm a sucker for long scenes where a lot is happening and no dialogue, and this was basically an entire episode of that. I would say there is a couple scenes where it was a little weird there was no dialogue like when Dom got to her mom's or Darlene getting past the security guard, but it isn't like it's impossible and they made sense in context. Poor Krista can't catch a break. Thoughts? 
    They did some creative editing to cut around where there would be dialog. Darlene getting past the security guard they cut to to outside view of Elliot looking at them just as she walks over to the guard to plead her case. In span of show time we only see about 30 seconds of Dom at her parents house, plenty of time to leave out the "mom, I'm here" and the "I'm taking the dog for a walk"

Now the discussion of which was harder to pull off: One-shot action packed hacker episode, or no-dialog action packed hacker episode. Both of them the got me perfectly with getting about 20 minutes into the episode before it totally sinks in what Esmail is doing, and then fully on-board for the remaining time.

Also agreed, the ice rink thing was a bit out of place. Wonder if that was a day of shooting thing where they saw the ice rink and did a "wouldn't it be funny/cool if..." moment that didn't *quite* work in the rest of the context of the scene.

PangsElisaMFG
  • I got this from the subreddit, but I thought it was too hilarious not to share. During the chase scene, somebody thought it was real and tried to stop "Elliot". The stunt guy was pretty pissed off, which is understandable. 

Warning: This video has some loud annoying music in the beginning and end
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxlJDUp6gM&feature=youtu.be

Elisaksa1001
  • edited November 4
    Dummy said:k
    I got this from the subreddit, but I thought it was too hilarious not to share. During the chase scene, somebody thought it was real and tried to stop "Elliot". The stunt guy was pretty pissed off, which is understandable. 

Warning: This video has some loud annoying music in the beginning and end
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxlJDUp6gM&feature=youtu.be

Was that Rami Malek screaming “Somebody lock this shit up!!!”
  • Or was that the stuntman?
  • adobo1148 said:
    Or was that the stuntman?
    It was a stuntman that was running, but just about anybody could have screamed that. I mean, how does that even happen? 
  • edited November 4
    Can't help but wonder if was Angela in the car, the final scene would have resonated more.  The Darlene/Elliot relationship barely feels relevant and after an "unprecedented episode" of silence, poorly defined mechanics, and an incredibly dumb street chase, having Elliot hold Darlene's hand was the ultimate dud.  I might have to watch this show later in the week because it's not holding up well after Watchmen.
  • When Elliot got hit by the mini van i was certain it was DA. Anyone else get a similar vibe?
    Elisa
  • redlancer said:
    Dummy said:
    Holy smokes, I thought this was a really great episode. I'm a sucker for long scenes where a lot is happening and no dialogue, and this was basically an entire episode of that. I would say there is a couple scenes where it was a little weird there was no dialogue like when Dom got to her mom's or Darlene getting past the security guard, but it isn't like it's impossible and they made sense in context. Poor Krista can't catch a break. Thoughts? 
    They did some creative editing to cut around where there would be dialog. Darlene getting past the security guard they cut to to outside view of Elliot looking at them just as she walks over to the guard to plead her case. In span of show time we only see about 30 seconds of Dom at her parents house, plenty of time to leave out the "mom, I'm here" and the "I'm taking the dog for a walk"

Now the discussion of which was harder to pull off: One-shot action packed hacker episode, or no-dialog action packed hacker episode. Both of them the got me perfectly with getting about 20 minutes into the episode before it totally sinks in what Esmail is doing, and then fully on-board for the remaining time.

Also agreed, the ice rink thing was a bit out of place. Wonder if that was a day of shooting thing where they saw the ice rink and did a "wouldn't it be funny/cool if..." moment that didn't *quite* work in the rest of the context of the scene.

I was waiting for Elliott to pull Kevin’s move from Home Alone on the ice rink. That would’ve been simultaneously cringey and awesome. 
    ksa1001
  • I'm just glad those long distance running officers eventually remembered they weren't the only 2 cops working Christmas in NYC.
  • There was the obvious die hard homage, but did anyone notice the Keanu Reeves references. During the chase scene, Elliot knocks over a stroller full of cans, something that happens in Speed. The chase scene also  included the exact scenery where John Wick 1 and 2 was filmed. Darlene and Elliot probably took the car to the chop shop owned by John Leguizamo.
    ElisaFlukes
  • Fucking loved the episode.  I didn't end up watching it until last night and had to fight my urge to check out the forum and very happy I didn't.  This episode won the week for me hands down.  Although the ice skating rink was a little much, I thought it was fine.  @GredalBee that's an interesting idea but I'm not sure that I like it.  While I wasn't emotionally gut punched when he held Darlene's hand I thought it worked for me.  Already can't wait for next week to see what the hell happens with Dom having to find the 2 of them for the dark army.  @adobo1148 While I'm a huge Reeves fan myself, I think the similarities are just coincidence.  Although it would be hilarious if next episode they pulled up to Aurelio's chop shop to dump the car.  
    PangsElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Love love loved this episode. That was some crazy antics. I love how on reddit they are calling this the text only episode. Darlene and Eliot hacking together was brilliant. And out in the open for once they nearly get caught. That roller rink scene was incredible. Bravo Esmail, bravo!
    MFG
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited November 5
    GredalBee said:
    Can't help but wonder if was Angela in the car, the final scene would have resonated more.  The Darlene/Elliot relationship barely feels relevant 

I like this idea, but let me put a twist on it:

In the last scene where we see Dom texting with Dark Army about the emergency job she has to do to track down a troublemaker, we all know it's Elliot and Darlene, and is going to be an image from the traffic camera as set-up previously with Dom tapping the sheriffs computer.

Now what if instead of the traffic camera image of Elliot and Darlene that we're all waiting to be revealed to Dom, it's Angela alone in a car on the traffic camera image sent to Dom. I don't know what that would mean, but your scenario above made me think of it. If that would have happened my mind probably would have melted, so I guess it's good it was just Elliot and Darlene...  :)

• redlancer said:
    GredalBee said:
    Can't help but wonder if was Angela in the car, the final scene would have resonated more.  The Darlene/Elliot relationship barely feels relevant 

I like this idea, but let me put a twist on it:

In the last scene where we see Dom texting with Dark Army about the emergency job she has to do to track down a troublemaker, we all know it's Elliot and Darlene, and is going to be an image from the traffic camera as set-up previously with Dom tapping the sheriffs computer.

Now what if instead of the traffic camera image of Elliot and Darlene that we're all waiting to be revealed to Dom, it's Angela alone in a car on the traffic camera image sent to Dom. I don't know what that would mean, but your scenario above made me think of it. If that would have happened my mind probably would have melted, so I guess it's good it was just Elliot and Darlene...  :)

That would have been a true what the fuck moment but there's no way that could have been explained or justified.  Great idea at a complete mind fuck moment but not sure that even the great Esmail could have pulled it off.
  • An area where I had an issue was the server room scenes. All server rooms that I have been are loud as fuck. You can barely hear yourself think, let alone hear someone's footsteps walking around.

I still loved this episode, and I understand why they did this, but server room quieter than a library ... that’s a bridge too far.  :p
    MFG
  • True on the server room. We have a server closet at work and it's loud as hell with just a couple of racks.
    Need to do a fan edit with just the screaming fan sound at max volume anytime the shot is inside the server room. Funny thing is it wouldn't take anything away from the plot of the episode, lol.

At least on the 3D printing thing they gave it as realistic of a go as I've seen on TV. Usually it's Star Trek level technology where the object just 'appears' out of the machine instantly. As a person who does a fair amount of FDM 3D printing they got pretty darn close, and I think you could just squeeze that project out in the timeframe they took if you were fast. I question their printing orientation though. I think you'd get better detail if that was printed horizontally instead of vertically  :)  (but wouldn't have been as cool of a shot, which I'm guessing wins when you're doing fake tech stuff for a show)

• redlancer said:
    True on the server room. We have a server closet at work and it's loud as hell with just a couple of racks.
    Need to do a fan edit with just the screaming fan sound at max volume anytime the shot is inside the server room. Funny thing is it wouldn't take anything away from the plot of the episode, lol.

At least on the 3D printing thing they gave it as realistic of a go as I've seen on TV. Usually it's Star Trek level technology where the object just 'appears' out of the machine instantly. As a person who does a fair amount of FDM 3D printing they got pretty darn close, and I think you could just squeeze that project out in the timeframe they took if you were fast. I question their printing orientation though. I think you'd get better detail if that was printed horizontally instead of vertically  :)  (but wouldn't have been as cool of a shot, which I'm guessing wins when you're doing fake tech stuff for a show)

I was thinking exactly the same thing with the 3D printing. They risked ruining the whole print by printing those overhangs vertically! Could have been a disaster, especially on unfamiliar equipment. Surprised no one in production said anything about that.
  • Yeah I guess every machine as well as hvac was off in that server room. The server room at my work runs around 85dB.

I was pretty disappointed that we didn't get a Kevin McCallister knee slide when Elliot ran through ice rink...

awookieeElisa
  • Having never worked with a 3D printer Im wondering are there not countermeasures to prevent the technology from being exploited like this, or has the technology just not reached that point?
  • I think there’s bad news on the gun front as well....

adobo1148 said:
    Having never worked with a 3D printer Im wondering are there not countermeasures to prevent the technology from being exploited like this, or has the technology just not reached that point?

• adobo1148 said:
    Having never worked with a 3D printer Im wondering are there not countermeasures to prevent the technology from being exploited like this, or has the technology just not reached that point?
    It's getting close-ish, though is still very Hollywood-ized for the most part. I may try the fingerprint thing just for fun, as this may be a Mythbusters 'plausible' instead of just straight busted. I need to see if I can unlock my tablet with a printed thumb :)   I've done some fairly detailed lithophane 3d prints, and the process would be very similar. They even showed them setting the print up on Mr.Robot during those scenes with the correct software, so had at least a few set advisers that knew what they were doing, as a lot of those quick sequence cuts would make 0% sense to 99% of the audience.

As far as the 3D printed gun thing, that's kinda totally overblown. Media would have you think you just hit the 'download' button off the internet and then hit 'print' on your 3D printer and you have an instant Glock 9mm ready to go. We're way way far from that, and most people will tell you that just making your own gun the old fashioned way via milling and metalwork is much easier than trying to 3D print something and make it work without killing yourself. The point being there are way easier ways to make a gun than 3D printing. If the idea is to create something that can 'hit the firing pin on a bullet' then yeah, sure, I guess that's easy enough, but I can do that with a hammer and a finishing nail just as easy.
    awookiee
  • redlancer said:
    adobo1148 said:
    It's getting close-ish, though is still very Hollywood-ized for the most part. I may try the fingerprint thing just for fun, as this may be a Mythbusters 'plausible' instead of just straight busted. I need to see if I can unlock my tablet with a printed thumb :)   I've done some fairly detailed lithophane 3d prints, and the process would be very similar. They even showed them setting the print up on Mr.Robot during those scenes with the correct software, so had at least a few set advisers that knew what they were doing, as a lot of those quick sequence cuts would make 0% sense to 99% of the audience.

As far as the 3D printed gun thing, that's kinda totally overblown. Media would have you think you just hit the 'download' button off the internet and then hit 'print' on your 3D printer and you have an instant Glock 9mm ready to go. We're way way far from that, and most people will tell you that just making your own gun the old fashioned way via milling and metalwork is much easier than trying to 3D print something and make it work without killing yourself. The point being there are way easier ways to make a gun than 3D printing. If the idea is to create something that can 'hit the firing pin on a bullet' then yeah, sure, I guess that's easy enough, but I can do that with a hammer and a finishing nail just as easy.
    Thanks for sharing your expertise in the field as it's something I know very little about.  I know enough that 3D printing a gun is extremely difficult and pointless in the U.S. anyways with how available guns are to the general public but regardless it's cool to hear that they went to the lengths of using the right software and essentially the attention to detail on the processes of these things that like you said 1% of the viewing audience would actually be familiar enough with it to call bullshit.  Wow that was a horrible run on sentence but I don't care enough to go back and fix it.  It amazes me the attention to detail that Esmail and everybody working on this show put into each and every episode.  Until Esmail completely fails at something, I will be interested in everything he's a part of in regards to television and movies.