S10E5 What It Always Is

I wasn't looking forward to a full episode of Negan and the Lenard look alike but some cutting between the whisperers and the communities to move the plot forward saved it. We now know that the tree falling at hilltop was indeed the whisperers, and I may have misheard them this episode but I thought I heard them cop up to the waves of walkers too. I know that they are trying to dam the creek but is Gamma trying to poison it too?In either case Gamma is probably going to be used as a spy and infiltrate the Alexandria community, maybe even become a double agent eventually. Great cliffhanger with Negan and Beta, can't wait to see the interactions between those two. Overall thought it was a pretty engaging episode, even if there wasn't a ton of action. Thoughts?

Comments

• Negan has never done it for me and, though I understand the narrative purpose, his talk with the kid really, really didn't do it for me.  The rest of the episode was fine.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited November 5
    I think the conversation with Negan and the kid would have been a fun read with the comic version of Negan. My guess is it would have been quite a bit more... colorful...

USA has gone and fully embraced TV-MA with the f-bombs on Mr. Robot, would love to see AMC set the Negan dialogue free for once. 

As it was, yeah, just some quick filler to try and make you care about the kid in 90 seconds so they could immediately kill him and have you at least feel *something*

I also thought the implication was they were poisoning their water supply. Not sure if the line about the dam was just a plot slip-up or what.

Agreed, Negan (as an unintentional spy/plant?) at the Whisperers camp should be gold. The character that just won't shut-up vs the people who would prefer nobody talk...  :)

blue_sleevePangs
  • redlancer said:
    I think the conversation with Negan and the kid would have been a fun read with the comic version of Negan. My guess is it would have been quite a bit more... colorful...

USA has gone and fully embraced TV-MA with the f-bombs on Mr. Robot, would love to see AMC set the Negan dialogue free for once. 

As it was, yeah, just some quick filler to try and make you care about the kid in 90 seconds so they could immediately kill him and have you at least feel *something*

I also thought the implication was they were poisoning their water supply. Not sure if the line about the dam was just a plot slip-up or what.

Agreed, Negan (as an unintentional spy/plant?) at the Whisperers camp should be gold. The character that just won't shut-up vs the people who would prefer nobody talk...  :)

Agreed on the filler, and the episode would have been unbearable if it wasn't intertwined with the whisperer stuff so i'm thankful for the plot advances at least. 

The only interesting thing born out of his conversations with garden boy was that he was indeed not the one who released him from prison, I've seen some theories floating around that Carol may have been the one to release him for the purposes of going after Alpha and Beta, but I have yet to see any solidified evidence of this. 

A nicely sized herd of walkers within the next few episodes would also be a treat so got my fingers crossed for that. Can't say that i'm enjoying this season as much as last, but I still think there's some good momentum here that will hopefully pay off. 
    Pangs