104 - If You Don't Like My Story, Write Your Own (Spoilers)

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited November 11 in Watchmen
This show. This friggin show. I am along for the ride for sure, no question, but is it all going to be setup until the last episode??
DummyElisaBroRad33sassyfontainemanhattnik

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I background watched this episode and I think I might have to actually stop watching the show. Because of the Watchmen connection maybe I'll just binge it later. What a disappointment. 
    BroRad33
  • To quote the episode this show is "Too cute by half"

I'm in to see if there is a great payoff but I am seriously doubting it.

As long as nothing else interesting is on Sunday's at 9 I'll stick with it.
    Elisa
  • edited November 11
    This was the funniest goddamn episode yet. I had to pause so I could finish laughing at the KY Alien.

I’m so in love with this show that every time an episode ends I always go “Nooooooo not yet!” Reminds me of when I liked Game of Thrones like 7 years ago.
    Murderbearnstinsonsassyfontainegjames80
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Well, damn. I never got around to posting it but my theory this weekend was that all the Dr. Manhattan stuff didn't make sense and probably wasn't real. I thought that Trieu was behind Veidt's imprisonment, all the Dr. Manhattan phone booths, and faking the Dr. Manhattan footage. I could have had all the Internet points. 
    sassyfontaine
  • edited November 11
    I love this show.
    DummyMattyWeavessassyfontaine
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    hell yes.  just got back from wicker park shootin pool bout to watch this mutha.  tall pour of beam on ice lezzgo!
    Islands in the Stream! Give it to me! 
    MurderbearTeresa from Concordgjames80
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 11
    We're eventually going to get somewhere.  Are we going to care? That's the biggest mystery.
    BroRad33Elisamanhattnik
  • He didn't betray Angela yet. They were talking about Angela being betrayed in 3 days. Simulations...Trieu sent her daughter to a time or a fictional world in her "sleep". Angela is likely asleep in a world like in this world. Like Inception. Like a show with another certain FBI agent. If you got the latter, you understand this from the 1st or 2nd episode. Veidt understands the simulation or has learned to control or construct it. Will and Trieu are visiting the simulation or dream Angela is within. Game Warden, a controller like within the Matrix. Things are more symbolic within dreams and don't make as much sense according to the logic in the "real" world.
    You get all the internet points if you can find the name of that drummer having all that dang fun with Irma Thomas playing Time is on my side! 
  • Watching Veidt fish the fetuses out pf the lake was one of the most viscerally unsettling things Ive ever seen. Just when I thought it couldn’t get weirder, he places them in the fucking human size centrifuge, and we hear the guttural screams of growth........eeek
    sassyfontaineKillert0astgjames80
  • After everything I have heard about the show I decided to skip it until I can binge it. In Germany we are two episodes behind from the start anyway. I don't want to bother with another westworld season 2 experience.
    JaimieTElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    That's the best part! Trying to figure out the mystery every week! I don't do a whole lot of other reading though. Skim the r/watchmen subreddit and these forums and that's about it. But I can see being two weeks behind everyone makes that no fun.

And believe me, if you don't like the mystery aspect of it, no judgements here! I know that really irks some folks and I can totally understand.
    Killert0astgjames80
  • I guess if you’re gonna tell your children there’s no God, follow up with an offer of delicious Waffles!!!! 
    MurderbearKillert0astksa1001GiovanniElisagjames80
    Schlupp said:
    After everything I have heard about the show I decided to skip it until I can binge it. In Germany we are two episodes behind from the start anyway. I don't want to bother with another westworld season 2 experience.

Ah, Westworld season 2. That totally matches my feeling of this. And that show, I also waited and binged episodes and that eliminated the frustration, although it didn't make me like it more (I don't think). 
    Elisa
  • WWS2 was an audacious disappointment. Nolan and Joy went for something big and came up short. I applaud them for that despite its shortcoming.  WM’s universe is so bizarre that doesn’t appear to have any rules to break, which is great at the beginning but has to ground itself before becoming an enigma within a mystery within Lindelof’s asshole.
    ElisaBloodyTaco
  • edited November 11
    Does Lindelof have a Tom Perotta for this  to rein him in?
    Maybe he saw legion and thought I can do weirder? :-)
    About the fetuses , could Carl be involved? He can build meat dragons from orphan meat so maybe Veidt 
    subcontracted the creation of the squids to him. I always wondered where Carl got all those babyhands from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71iZieJWmmk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVzaBq4ycWg
    adobo1148 said:
    WWS2 was an audacious disappointment. Nolan and Joy went for something big and came up short. I applaud them for that despite its shortcoming.  WM’s universe is so bizarre that doesn’t appear to have any rules to break, which is great at the beginning but has to ground itself before becoming an enigma within a mystery within Lindelof’s asshole.

I'm curious at what point in the season you found WWS2 disappointing... 
  • To quote Angela at multiple points throughout this episode: "Da fuq?!?"

Absolutely loving this experience.  It's totally bizarre, but a hell of a lot of fun.
    RyanReesemansassyfontaineKillert0astksa1001Elisanstinsongjames80
  • To quote Angela at multiple points throughout this episode: "Da fuq?!?"

Absolutely loving this experience.  It's totally bizarre, but a hell of a lot of fun.
    Angela was playing audience surrogate this episode big time.
    MurderbearKillert0astmanhattnikElisaDoubleA_Rongjames80
  • JaimieT said:
    adobo1148 said:
    WWS2 was an audacious disappointment. Nolan and Joy went for something big and came up short. I applaud them for that despite its shortcoming.  WM’s universe is so bizarre that doesn’t appear to have any rules to break, which is great at the beginning but has to ground itself before becoming an enigma within a mystery within Lindelof’s asshole.

I'm curious at what point in the season you found WWS2 disappointing... 
    To be more clear, there was no one point when I was disappointed. WWS1 IMO came together in a way that made it come full circle. The maze and the flashbacks and flash forwards as way of the hosts achieving sentient held up so well. Maybe Ineed to rewatch WWS2 bc if it did come together it just wasnt as satisfying. It could be that there more episodes that developed characters instead if the plot. Also like Aron the world building needed to be more convincing, which looks like will be happening this season.
    JaimieTElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I am loving this show, and like @Schlupp I thought of  Legion when watching this episode.

A few questions/observations for @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard
    1. Is it a thermodynamic miracle that the couple on the farm are called Clarks, a meteor crashes into the farm, the couple is infertile and get a baby,  and Will's last name is Reeves? I feel like there are a lot of callouts to Superman.
    2. The scene opens on the eggs and at first it reads "oz eggs" before it pans out to "doz eggs" (More eggs - Mrs Clark's eggs were not viable)
    3. Mrs. Clark mentions Lady Trieu is the one building the clock. But this is where Trieu acquires the land to build the clock on the meteor site. How does this timeframe work?
    4. Trieu says the baby is biologically the Clarks. It got me thinking that the babies in the lake are created by Trieu waiting for human DNA to make them...well...human. And this is why Veidt's servants are "off" - he's growing them without any human material (is he trapped on the moon? Or in that ugly statue?)
    5. Lastly - Looking Glass mentions the white robes are old school. I still believe Judd was not a member of the 7th Cavalry, and that the robe belonged to his granddad.

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 11
    1. The scene opens on the eggs and at first it reads "oz eggs" before it pans out to "doz eggs" (More eggs - Mrs Clark's eggs were not viable)
    I also noticed she tripped and a lot of her eggs got smashed. And then one rolled away and was saved by her smiling husband. Lady Trieu essentially saved one of her eggs and her husband was definitely the first one to fall in love with that baby.

Also, they were saying it on the podcast last night but is this the land she is building the tower on? Like you mentioned, they said she was building "the clock up the road" but I didn't hear her say she needed the land to build anything. (100% could have missed that though) I am also not convinced this is a flashback. Didn't her daughter hand her the baby when she opened the door? (Then again, a trillionaire could get a tower built pretty quickly I suppose) I think she wanted the land purely for the meteor that crashed down so there is no question it's hers.
    sassyfontaineElisa
  • Hunkulese said:
    Well, damn. I never got around to posting it but my theory this weekend was that all the Dr. Manhattan stuff didn't make sense and probably wasn't real. I thought that Trieu was behind Veidt's imprisonment, all the Dr. Manhattan phone booths, and faking the Dr. Manhattan footage. I could have had all the Internet points. 
    How could you have thought it was a character that hadn't been introduced in any way until last nights episode? I can see putting together that the Manhattan theory didn't make sense. But it is absolutely impossible that you could have thought it was Trieu. 
  • It was pretty well known at the time that Lindelof had publicly stated he had no intentions of answering the questions posed by The Leftovers. I think that's his gig. I think we are setting ourselves up if we are hanging our hat on answered questions to whether you 'like' this show or not. It would be best for everyone to just set it aside. I do think we will have SOME questions answered though. Thinking on the novel, if you look at the story arc there, 12 issues, the first 10 basically strung you along with lots of unkowns. It wasn't until the back half of issue 11 and all of 12 that the reveal occurred. And it was a lot of material crammed into an issue and a half. I think that Lindelof is going for that same feel. Here we are on episode 4, almost half way in, and we've done nothing but ask questions. I think we will continue in that vein until the last episode or two and then hurriedly make some of it connect. 
    Either way, I'm in. You just have to be prepared to not have a straightforward resolution to everything. My only fear is that he is jumping the shark by weirdness overload. 
    sassyfontaineElisa
  • MackW said:
    Hunkulese said:
    How could you have thought it was a character that hadn't been introduced in any way until last nights episode? I can see putting together that the Manhattan theory didn't make sense. But it is absolutely impossible that you could have thought it was Trieu. 

Lady Trieu had been mentioned multiple times before this episode 
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I liked this episode. It was bonkers, but straightforwardly bonkers. 

On the other hand I would really like things to start happening. 
    gjames80BroRad33
  • When Angela was “conversing” with her family tree and the camera was shooting her from behind the holographic projection of Will, the overlay on her face had an awful Rorschach-ian look to it...
    Teresa from Concord
  • When Angela was “conversing” with her family tree and the camera was shooting her from behind the holographic projection of Will, the overlay on her face had an awful Rorschach-ian look to it...
    I noticed that to, 
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 12
    The graphic novel was a mystery as well, but I think the characterization was much stronger. By this point we had a lot of insight into at least Rorschach and Dan Dreiberg, and probably others I am forgetting.  
    gjames80