Question for Book Readers

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited May 2015 in Game of Thrones
So I have been trying to get into the books and I keep picking up a Game of Thrones and putting it down because I find it hard to read a lot of the set up for characters I have been watching for a couple years now and feel I know. 

So my question is do you think it is possible for me to go straight to the last 2 books AFFC and DWD which season 5 is covering and start reading from there? Would I be too lost given the differences? thanks for the help. 

I understand that FFC and DWD are a bit slower than the previous books from what people say but I would rather read about stuff that hasn't made it on screen yet. My personal preference is reading first and watching second but I didn't get into GOT untill it was too late to do that. 

Comments

• ShumShum Utah
    There would be minor characters here and there you don't get in the show, but I think you could get away with that.
    Hatorian
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Try the audio books. Honesty you need to do the books from start to finish.
    ksa1001steph_buncle_gHatorian
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, you could.  You could skip books 1-3 and go right to Feast without too many issues.  There might be some confusion, but use the Wiki of Ice and Fire to clear any of that up and you should be fine. You will be missing a lot of the details that support a lot of the speculation that goes on to this day, but again, the wiki can clear that up for you too.
    Hatorian
  • ShumShum Utah
    I would recommend maybe reading the final Tyrion chapter and the epilogue of Storm of Swords.
    HatorianJudd B
  • uncle_guncle_g CA, USA
    edited May 2015
    I can see where the desire is coming from, but for me the answer springs from the fact that you'll be skipping GRRM's most exciting, terse books in the septilogy in exchange for the driest, most scattered and arguably least-fun reads.

If you're going to be relying that heavily on the WIKI (as @A_Ron_Hubbard suggests above) you might as well just use the WIKI to read the 'Cliffs' Notes' (am I dating myself?) version of what happens in Feast and Dance.  You'll probably find that MUCH more rewarding....

My $.02 
    G

steph_bElisaHatorian
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I wouldn't advise skipping ASOS. Perhaps AGOT and ACOK but not ASOS. There is just too much in ASOS that was left out of the show and will be important later on. 

I'm with Elisa though, I suggest audiobooks and starting from the beginning if you aren't into reading it. All the R+L=J groundwork is in AGOT and ACOK is important for the House of the Undying. 
    ElisaHatorian
  • ShumShum Utah
    Yeah, the more I think about it, you should probably just power through the whole series.
    Elisa
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I agree with others that you should read all of the books. I especially endorse book 1 as it is my favorite of the series and it establishes a lot of the premise in which the series, book and show, are based. That said, book 1 is the book you probably don't need to read.

I think season 1 follows the AGOT almost to a T. Basically, each
    episode of the show equals about 8 chapters of the book. I actually
    listened to The Night's Watch podcast while reading book 1 and it worked
    pretty well as a companion. Season 2 follows so-so, but by season 3
    it's all over the place.

I think I agree with @steph_b and would start with ASOS.

good luck..
    steph_buncle_gHatorianElisa
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    dont even think about it. Read them all. Honestly, people are suggesting that you maybe you can get by without reading the first book but nah... If youre going to read them, READ them. It's a different story. And the nuances and the differences are definitely there even in the first book. Read them all
    steph_bHatorianElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Thanks everyone. I am trying to power through Game of Thrones. I have the whispersync audio with Kindle which is really awesome from switching from reading at night to listening during the day. Highly recommend it. 
    steph_bElisa
  • edited May 2015
    Sounds like you've made up your mind but I have to agree with everyone who said read the books. Since you have the benefit of knowing about a lot of the big events, you can actually take it slow and really read the books. Look for the sub-text and layers that make them so good. Enjoy!
    Hatoriansteph_bElisa
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I second what @Raiyne said. Since you know the major plots you can focus on the background details which are so rich and absolutely there with a purpose. These books were written to be reread.

People will watch a show or a movie over and over without a second thought. Well books are made to be reread too. Especially the ASOIAF books.
    HatorianElisa
  • Agree with most people here - sure, you could do it, but SOS is so awesome I wouldn't skip it. Wish you could have read the RW first...definitely the most shocking thing I ever read.

Also, when you get to AFFC, you can skip the Ironborn chapters. How you make pirates and krackens boring, I don't know, but GRRM found a way.
    Allison