Bald Move D&D Play by Post (Level 2): Players Only Please

Woodside, a tour of the town…

Jimmeron Palace

The campaign begins in a small but bustling town of Woodside.  Founded nearly a century ago, Woodside was originally the location of a wilderness hunting lodge built by a wealthy nobleman named Orek Jimmeron.  Over the years as the lodge grew and expanded, a small town began to spring up around it.  Many decades later, what was once a simple lodge is now known as Jimmeron Palace.  The current occupant of the Palace is Queen Annabella Jimmeron, the eldest living ancestor of Orek and presiding monarch of Woodside. The Palace grounds are mostly open to the public (although the Palace itself is tightly guarded) and host a temple to Thellyne, Sister of the Hunt.

The Palace District

Directly to the East of the Palace is a walled community called The Palace District.  This is where the wealthiest members of Woodside live.  Only Ladies, lords and nobles – many of whom are descendants of Orek – along with the richest of merchants, traders and retired adventurers of upstanding reputation can call the Palace District home.  Non-residents of the Palace District require a written invitation from a resident to gain entry into the Palace District.

Administrative Row

Further to the East is a small stretch of government and bureaucratic buildings known as Administration Row.  Agencies and offices dealing with the day to day running of the town can be found here.  Among the buildings in this area are the Trade Union Hall, the Merchant’s Guild, the Currency Exchange, the Headquarters of the Falcon Guards (the town’s police/guard force) and other offices dealing with licencing, permits, regulatory issues and all of Woodside’s other bureaucratic needs.

Rockbottom

Across the Town River lies a region of Woodside known as Rockbottom.  Originally the location of a small serfdom of farmers, fishermen and labourers that sprung up to support Orek’s hunting lodge, Rockbottom is now home to Woodside’s poorest and most unsavory citizens.  Rockbottom almost exists as a town unto itself as few citizens of either side of the Town River often cross it.  When Woodside first erected its town walls, there was great debate about whether or not to include Rockbottom inside of the town’s official boundary.  In the end, it was thought that the town would be safer from invasion with buffer of expendable people East of the river.  Many people, from both sides, still question the wisdom of that decision.  The Falcon Guards do not patrol Rockbottom, instead it is rumoured to be under the thumb of the area’s thieves’ guild known as the Quarrymen.

Middling Manor

The area that makes up the majority of Woodside’s South-East neighbourhood is referred to as Middling Manor.  The is where the bulk of the town’s population live, and is generally a blend of working and middle class families.  Mixed among the houses of Middling Manor various shops, inns, drinking establishments and businesses can be found.  The area is very self-sufficient and citizens rarely find the need to leave their neighbourhood.

The Commons

At the town’s centre is a sprawling parkland known as the Commons.  These are public lands available to be used by the citizens of Woodside for a wide range of activities ranging from picnics to political rallies (permits required!).  It’s a popular location for weekend relaxation, weddings, sporting events and general leisure.  At the very centre of the Commons, a fountain dedicated to the Goddess Thellyne.

The Market

The neighbourhood in Woodside’s South-West is called The Market.  While it is home to the majority of the town’s trade and commerce, it is also a residential area – mostly for merchants, traders and their families.  If you’re looking to buy something, the Market is the first place that you’d look.  Its streets are lined and crowded with shops, stalls and booths selling all manner of goods, most locally produced by exotic items from far off lands can often be found here.  There are many inns and taverns in the Market, and is usually the where travellers and adventurers can be found.

Forestview Heights

And finally, in the town’s North-West region lies the neighbourhood known as Forestview Heights.  This area is generally viewed as being the home of Woodside’s non-noble upper class and other aspirational families.  Not nearly as wealthy as those who live in the Palace District, residents still view themselves as a cut above the rest of Woodside’s citizens.  Many of the wealthier families in Forestview Heights have petitioned for the construction of a wall to segregate their community from the rest of Woodside, but there’s little political will within the town’s administration to accommodate this.

Comments

• Some regional information....

Woodside is a frontier town, originally the location of a hunting lodge it's remote location was purposely chosen for its access to fertile hunting grounds.  There are several smaller villages - mostly farming and logging communities - in the region, but the closest town of comparable size (Dorrington) is about a week's travel by horseback and the closest city of note (Shorecrest) is several weeks away.  Despite its isolation, Woodside is a growing town.  Being on the frontier, it's a popular way point for adventurers setting out into the unexplored lands of the North and West.

The town is surrounded by rich soil and supports a robust agricultural industry, more than enough food is produced to sustain Woodside.  To the immediate North of the town lies the appropriately named Northwood Forest.  Although Woodside is heavily dependent on the lumber and forestry industries, due to an agreement with the Emerald Dawn elven tribe, the Northwood forest West of the Town River isn't harvested.  The Northwood forest is massive in size, several hundred square kilometres in area, but Woodside is rarely attacked from the denizens of the forest.  Historically, the town's walls have held up and their strength has dissuaded others from attacking.  Having said that, the surrounding communities haven't always been as lucky.  Raids on farming villages and forestry camps in the region aren't uncommon, and many adventurers cut their teeth protecting these establishments.

Woodside and the Emerald Dawn elves are treatied allies, but don't often interact with each other.  The elves prefer to stick to themselves and discourage even their allies from entering their forest.  Those from Woodside who encroach too deep into the forest are often met with stern warnings to return to where they've come from.  Despite this sometimes frosty relationship, in times of trouble the Emerald Dawn elves and the citizens of Woodside have always worked together as trusted allies.

The Town River runs from a mountain range far to the North, snakes its way South through the Northwood forest before passing through Woodside and draining into Woodside Bay, which connects to the Great Ocean just South of Woodside.  Over the last century, the river has been used for fishing and to transport goods downstream - particularly from mining and timber camps to the North.

• While far from accurate or complete, this represents your current understanding of Dwellmir - an island Kingdom that occupies almost the entire continent that you're on.  You'll discover more about the other cities and towns as you learn and explore while playing 
  • Our players...

@Flukes : the half-orc Barbarian Ragnuk Sigurdsson
    @Hatorian : the half-elven Ranger Justus
    @Alkaid13 : the aasimar Paladin Aurelia Mardin
    @CapeGabe : the High-elven Wizard Darcassan
    @Doctor_Nick : the halfling Bard Stirling Milton-Thistle
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 22

There are a few new features on the regional map that aren't on the city or continental map...

1. Colvis Tower - in ancient times, Colvis tower was part of a larger castle and gate complex that served as the entrance to an under mountain dwarven kingdom.  Most of that has been lost and buried under centuries of earthquakes and rockslides, but the tower still stands.  Over the last couple of hundred years, the tower has changed hands several times.  In more recent years, the elves of Northwoods have - to the best of anyone's knowledge - have prevented anyone from staking a claim to it, leaving it abandoned.

2. Nordcamp -  one of several camps that follow the tree-line of the Northwood forest between Woodside and Dorrington.  Typically, these camps are small - no more than 50 (mostly) men - and are used as base-camps for hunting and trapping parties.  The Emerald Dawn elves tolerate these camps and forays into their lands made by their inhabitants...as long as they don't venture in too deep.

3.  Skellac Keep - a stronghold maintained by Lord Ravenstalk of Woodside.  Ravenstalk is from one of Woodside's traditional families who originally settled the region.  Despite being nobility, Lord Ravenstalk has a reputation for being a rugged outdoorsman who prefers the company of a giant black bear named 'Tiny' over other people.  While it's unclear how he earned the right, Lord Ravenstalk is one of the few outsiders who have free reign over the Northwood forest...the Emerald Dawn elves allow him to come and go as he pleases.

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 14
    And now we begin Chapter 2...

Over the last few days, you’ve moved to and settled into the Broken Chestplate.  While you’ve visited the bar several times, before moving here you’d never seen an inn or anything of the sort connected to the pub.  When you first asked Torvan about rooms for rent he looked at you quizzically.  “Rooms?  We ain’t got no rooms here.  Look around – you see any rooms?”  He had a point.  The pub is a single-story building, seemingly divided into a public and private area but no stairs up or down to be seen anywhere.

Elnora, the waitress who you’ve previously met spoke up.  “Just out of curiosity, who told you about rooms for rent?”

Having been assured that this Torvan and his staff could be trusted, you felt safe in telling them what happened with Kasparian*, and mentioned that his name was actually George.

“They said George Torvan.  You know what that means.”

“Well, I’ll be damned.  George eh?.  Huh, who knew.”  With that, he motioned for you to follow him.  He led you out the back/side door and to the back alley to the neighbouring building.

“This hasn’t been used in years, there hasn’t been much need for it.”  You followed him until you were standing facing the back wall of the building adjacent to the Broken Chestplate.  “Let me see if I can remember where we’re at here…”

Torvan stood staring at the wall, counting bricks and struggling to remember something.  “I think I’ve got it.” He reached up and pressed a brick and it slid back into the wall, revealing the outline of a door.

“I know it still looks like a wall, but if you can see this outline here,” he said while pointing it out, “you can actually step through it.  Watch.”  And with that, Torvan stepped into what looked like a solid wall and passed right through.

As you followed him through, you discovered a living space beyond.  A large common room with enough tables and chairs to hold a meeting of maybe a dozen people.  Off the main room, there were three doors each leading to a bedroom.  “You’ll have to double up, but the rooms are big enough where you won’t be tripping over yourselves.”

You also notice that from the common room there’s a window that looks out onto the back alley – a window that you’re certain wasn’t there when you were outside.

“It’s one way, and magically concealed.  You can see out – no one can see in.”

Before leaving you to settle into your new home, Torvan left you with a few parting words.

“Make no mention of this place, and make sure no one sees you come or go from here.  This has been a safe house for 40 years.  Don’t be the ones to blow its cover.”

(more to come, don't reply yet!)
  • Actually...do reply now.  None of this will be in the moment, whatever questions you have or whatever actions you want to take will have happened over the last few days.  We'll go 'live' when Plastalyn returns.  After settling in at the Broken Chestplate, Plastalyn went back to the Yard of the Last Guide to face the music...if you recall, after he told the elders about the zombies it caused a stir.  He was asked to go to his room to wait to hear his fate with the Church. While he was waiting, someone slipped a note under his door with the word "Negrellis" on it.  He went to the library to try to research it and discovered that Negrellis was the name of a priest who was a former member of the church of Mormekar.  As he was discovering this, the elders realized that Plastalyn wasn't in his room and he ran to meet you guys rather than face them.  He hasn't been back to the church since then (until now).
  • I don't think that we need a turn order there, fire away with any questions that you might have or tell me anything that you want to do during your downtime...you've got about 3 days of free time before we pick up again.
  • Justus

dibs on top bunk!
  • I’d like to find a postal office one of the days. 
  • We probably should first decide what we are selling and splitting up that money because I assume everyone is as broke as I am.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 15
    Odds and Ends:
    Change the keyword to the chest
    Divide up the magic stuff
    Find someone who knows what the clothing is worth and sell it all. 
    Ask around about the Quarrymen. 
  • People who can’t heal should take the potions of Healing. 
  • As a thespian, Stirling needs his own space so that he can rehearse his performances.

Stirling needs to buy a better ranged weapon, go for a hand crossbow.
  • All I wanted from the haul was a Potion of Healing, the Spell Book and my share of gold from what we sell. 

Then I will go shopping for spell materials and see what I have remaing after that.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 15
    ive updated the sheet with what i will take and updated my roll20 as well. i have 2 crossbows from the dead rats i can give one to Stirling. ive removed 1 from my sheet. i also give him 20 bolts.
  • I need a hand crossbow I believe, @Hatorian - do you have one of those?

Was any of the magic stuff useful for a bard?

• I only got light crossbows. But at least take the 20 bolts. Then we get hit up a store and get you a hand crossbow. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 15
    Split the base 200 gold 5 ways so everyone gets 40. We’ll sell all the accessories and figure out how to split that after we haggle with some NPCs. I’ll take the Sending Stone and keep the cursed ring, probably @Flukes should take the third potion since @Doctor_Nick and I can heal with magic. 
  • I already have Necrotic Resistance, probably should give the amulet to either the squishier members or to @Flukes since he’s front line. Potions of Climbing and Diminution seem situational maybe just give those to whoever needs them when the time comes. 
  • @CretanBull if everyone is fine with me taking the stone I’ll send a message to George once per day.
    FlukesCretanBull
  • I will also suggest to the party that if we plan to travel about the city we should utilize the disguise kits. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Agree. Ragnuk will take a health pot. I'm good with taking the necrotic amulet or leaving it to a squishier player. Rage only gives me resistance to physical damage types, so it would be helpful. If no one speaks up, Ragnuk will wear it.
    CapeGabe
  • edited November 15
    I am OK with everything mentioned above. I added 40 GP and  the found spell book to inventory. The Potion of Healing was already there.
  • @CretanBull

You said earlier that Identify was way too expensive for a 1st level spell. Do you want to attach a lower price or just ignore entirely?

Roll20 has example text when there is no text filled in. So almost all my spells looked liked they needed 50GP of Ruby Dust. I thought the party's next action was going to have to be to knock over a jeweler.

! will go to the market area and buy 40 GP worth of charcoal, incense and herbs needed to cast Find Familiar. (10 GP each)

I will ritually cast Find Familiar to bring back Nym leaving me enough for 3 more castings.

Also here are a couple of things I should have mentioned when we started:

Also my arcane focus is an ornate looking pen, a gift from my uncle to further encourage my bookish ways.

My spell book is a sturdy pouch of unique looking flat stones about the size of a medium coin, all different from each other. I use my arcane focus, the pen, to write runes onto the flat little stones. The ink eventually washes or wears away but the scratches stay and can still be seen but I can usually just read it by touch.

Flukes
  • I am good with that.  I have 2 costumes and a disguise kit from baseline FWIW.  
  • CapeGabe said:
    @CretanBull

You said earlier that Identify was way too expensive for a 1st level spell. Do you want to attach a lower price or just ignore entirely?

Roll20 has example text when there is no text filled in. So almost all my spells looked liked they needed 50GP of Ruby Dust. I thought the party's next action was going to have to be to knock over a jeweler.

! will go to the market area and buy 40 GP worth of charcoal, incense and herbs needed to cast Find Familiar. (10 GP each)

I will ritually cast Find Familiar to bring back Nym leaving me enough for 3 more castings.

Also here are a couple of things I should have mentioned when we started:

Also my arcane focus is an ornate looking pen, a gift from my uncle to further encourage my bookish ways.

My spell book is a sturdy pouch of unique looking flat stones about the size of a medium coin, all different from each other. I use my arcane focus, the pen, to write runes onto the flat little stones. The ink eventually washes or wears away but the scratches stay and can still be seen but I can usually just read it by touch.

Your arcane focus replaces the need for all material spell components that don't have a stated GP value.  Components with a GP value must be purchased, but note that most of these aren't consumed in the casting.  Using Identify as an example, the material components are "a pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather".  Your arcane focus eliminates the need for an owl feather.  You do need a pearl worth 100gp, but that pearl doesn't get consumed in the casting - once you have that pearl, you can cast Identify as many times as you have spell slots.

For Find Familiar you do need 10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs and the spell description specifically states that these are burned up in the casting of the spell.

• Someone can make a list of the things that you want to sell, and I'll give you a GP total.
  • @CretanBull

I understand everything. You just mentioned when we 1st started playing:

By RAW (rules as written) an arcane focus can be used in place of spell components except for components that have a monetary value assigned to them.  We'll stick to that, but identify will be an exception...it's an important spell for low lever characters and 100pg to cast a spell when you're low level is crazy.

That's why I asked if you wanted me to use a different price. Or did you just want to waive it until the party had money then go back to RAW on Identify?
  • The kits are more useful than their gold value, 6 disguise kits provides a very good variety where we could reliably have a couple alternatives each. 
    Probably want to sell the necklace, broach, dress, normal ring, walking stick and suit. 
    @CretanBull what sort of check would be required to find someone willing to purchase the extremely well tailored suit for a good price?
  • Also I’d like to change the keyword on the chest to Pineapple which I eventually succeed at.