Castle Rock S2

DeeDee Adelaide
Is anyone else watching? I’m finding this season so much more cohesive than S1, which started really well and ended up a confusing mess, in my opinion. There are still 4 episodes, so a lot could wrong, but I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Lizzy Caplan is doing a great job of capturing a younger, twitchier version of Kathy Bates’ Annie Wilkes. That walk she does just kills me. 
Elisa

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I have been watching season 2 and really enjoying the misery angle. The Salem’s lot plot is okay but got a bit odd this last episode. That said Lizzy Caplan has been amazing and the Somali angle with Tim Robbins has been fascinating. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 2019
    @Elisa Haha, I just watched this week’s last night and I feel like the vampire thing is starting to come together a bit more. It’s not my favourite part of the show, but I don’t mind it. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    OMG this week's episode was crazy!  Big connections to Season 1.  
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 2019
    @Elisa Haha, I was lying on the couch in a bit of a lazy daze watching and then when he took the hood off I suddenly sat up and yelled out “Whaaaat!” 

I don’t even know how I feel about it, to be honest. Though it might serve to make last season make a bit more sense? 
    Elisamanhattnik
  • Is this an anthology style show or do you need to watch S1 before S2? I was always interested in this show but heard the first season was boring, is S2 a good place to jump in?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @bizmarkiefader Ostensibly it’s an anthology show - S2 makes references in passing to events that happened in S1, but it’s different characters and a different story. However, a pivotal character from S1 briefly showed up in the most recent episode, so seems to be at least one thread they’re intending to carry through each season. Before this latest episode I’d have said you definitely don’t need to have seen S1, but now I’m not so sure... 

S1 started off great - it was slow, but it was atmospheric and full of good actors. It fell apart in the last few episodes and had a weird ending that made no sense (to me, at least, but I might have just missed something). I wouldn’t say fall over yourself to see it, but it’s pretty bingeable and if you’re a King fan you’d probably get something out of it. 

I’m enjoying S2 so far, and both Lizzy Caplan (as a pre-Misery Annie Wilkes) and Paul Sparks (as a post-Stand By Me Ace Merrill) are really good, as is Tim Robbins, playing Pop Merrill. 
    bizmarkiefaderElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Stephen King land is always connected.  :D
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    So what did you think, @Elisa?
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I honestly enjoyed this season. Yes it was uneven but all in all there were some real good episodes. I liked how it came full circle and we found out a lot of the thing going on in the background in season 1 with the two Henry’s and the schism and the lake. Lizzie Caplan as Annie was amazing. It ended perfectly to roll into the movie Misery. It was a fun ride and kept me guessing. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2019
    @Elisa I agree. The vampire thing did get a bit bonkers at the end - “Pop’s dead! Wait, no he’s not!” Etc. But the acting was great, especially Lizzy. God, I love her - she might be my favourite actress. 

I liked the kick-the-rug-out ending. It seemed a bit lame at first with Joy back to being the obedient little girl, but then dun dun! In hindsight that was probably pretty obvious but I have to admit, I didn’t see it coming. 

I liked that we got more of an insight into S1 too, as I’d been really frustrated with the end of that one, especially since they’d said it was an anthology so there was no reason to expect any callbacks to it. 

I wonder what they will do for S3? 

Speaking of Lizzy Caplan, have you watched any of Truth Be Told? 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    No I am waiting for watchmen to be over and the holidays and then I’m going to take a deep dive into Apple TV shows. 
    Dee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Any good? Truth be told?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Elisa I’ve only watched the first episode and I’m interested to see where it goes. It’s a bit slow, but there are so many good actors in it - Lizzy, Octavia Spencer, Aaron Paul, Elizabeth Perkins, Ron Cephas Jones... 
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Really liked this season. Took awhile to get going but worth the ride. Agree about Lizzy. Wow. And got surprised by ending but of course should’ve seen it coming. 
    DeeElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @manhattnik There are three of us! Now we can play cards or something. 
    Elisamanhattnik