The Mandalorian - Episode 2 SPOILERS

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
Haven't watched yet myself but wanted to make a separate topic so we don't have it all in one thread.

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I’m rewatching ep 1 then I’ll will enjoy ep 2. This show is really hitting it out of the ballpark. After playing Outer Worlds for the last couple weeks this just piles on the creamy goodness. I think that a rewatch of Firefly is so in order. 

As for Disney+ I’m on Xbone and have no problem so far. I see they added a update this morning. I would like to see some more content on the site that was more geared for mature taste. Like since they own Fox more Fox classics. 
  • Yeah, I liked the first episode.  Have there been Disney + issues?  No issues on my Roku 2 or PC with Chrome.  
    I heard on the podcast Jim and Aron has problems on the PS4. 

Now that I watched ep 2. I feel the same about the show. Cute overload on the baby Yoda I shall call him Yodo until a better name than child comes up. I have spoken.
    awookiee
  • So... as it turns out, Tatooine isn’t so much a backwater sh*thole as it is... the nexus of the universe(?)
    Elisamanhattnik
  • Ok, I’m going to be the one to take a shit on this episode.  Overall, I’m underwhelmed by the show but I expected something grittier and more adult. I will reset my expectations to basic action and Star Wars fanboy gratification.  

I liked this episode a lot less than the first one.  I have two primary gripes:

1) Not seeing under the helmet is starting to feel like a gimmick.  I have a hard time connecting with the character, and the “cool” factor of the armor is getting old fast. It’s not that I think the actor isn’t doing a fine job, but this could be anyone.  Maybe that will change, but imo it needs to be soon.  I’m worried that we will go through 8 episodes and not see him until some stupid reveal in the last one.

2) I have no problem with Jawas getting disintegrated by the Mando, that’s a choice he makes. They are depicted as basically garbage and scavengers who know the dangers of what they do.  But what are the consequences of his decision?  Their reaction to their brethren being zapped sniper style is inexplicable.  We are to believe that they are mildly annoyed, enough to be wary of bartering with the Mando.  But when Ugnolte mediates, they are fine and ultimately bought off by an egg snack?  Not only that, but they are willing to give up all the scrap they found?  It’s just not realistic.  Or at least, it’s not in keeping with what the audience expects based on the story the writers are telling.  Not only is their response to this attack unlikely, but it’s made into a joke by the show. (“Probably because I disintegrated some of them”). Oddly dark for a show that is at least partially aimed at a younger audience. In my opinion, it’s just bad writing. 

Am I expecting too much from this show?  Probably.  I guess I’ll have to turn my brain off and just try to enjoy it.  I’ll leave the heavy lifting to Sunday nights when the Watchmen airs.
    Elisa
  • kingbee67 said:
    I’m rewatching ep 1 then I’ll will enjoy ep 2. This show is really hitting it out of the ballpark. After playing Outer Worlds for the last couple weeks this just piles on the creamy goodness. I think that a rewatch of Firefly is so in order. 

As for Disney+ I’m on Xbone and have no problem so far. I see they added a update this morning. I would like to see some more content on the site that was more geared for mature taste. Like since they own Fox more Fox classics. 
    You’re not going to ever find that stuff on Disney+.
    Elisa
  • kingbee67 said:

That'll all be on Hulu eventually is my guess. They want to keep Disney+ family friendly. They just announced that FX will be integrating with Hulu to a large degree:

Once they can lock down more live sports rights for ESPN+ the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle will be pretty appealing (and probably more than 12.99).

Elisa
  • Kurt said:
    Ok, I’m going to be the one to take a shit on this episode.  Overall, I’m underwhelmed by the show but I expected something grittier and more adult. I will reset my expectations to basic action and Star Wars fanboy gratification.  

I liked this episode a lot less than the first one.  I have two primary gripes:

1) Not seeing under the helmet is starting to feel like a gimmick.  I have a hard time connecting with the character, and the “cool” factor of the armor is getting old fast. It’s not that I think the actor isn’t doing a fine job, but this could be anyone.  Maybe that will change, but imo it needs to be soon.  I’m worried that we will go through 8 episodes and not see him until some stupid reveal in the last one.

2) I have no problem with Jawas getting disintegrated by the Mando, that’s a choice he makes. They are depicted as basically garbage and scavengers who know the dangers of what they do.  But what are the consequences of his decision?  Their reaction to their brethren being zapped sniper style is inexplicable.  We are to believe that they are mildly annoyed, enough to be wary of bartering with the Mando.  But when Ugnolte mediates, they are fine and ultimately bought off by an egg snack?  Not only that, but they are willing to give up all the scrap they found?  It’s just not realistic.  Or at least, it’s not in keeping with what the audience expects based on the story the writers are telling.  Not only is their response to this attack unlikely, but it’s made into a joke by the show. (“Probably because I disintegrated some of them”). Oddly dark for a show that is at least partially aimed at a younger audience. In my opinion, it’s just bad writing. 

Am I expecting too much from this show?  Probably.  I guess I’ll have to turn my brain off and just try to enjoy it.  I’ll leave the heavy lifting to Sunday nights when the Watchmen airs.
    I’m confused. You say you expected a dark grittier Star Wars but got kids stuff.

then you literally next paragraph say your surprised Disney had jawas getting disengrated is oddly dark. So what is it? Why can’t a show aim for both?

kids aren’t gonna know when a jawa disappears as murder compared to John wick slitting a dudes throat. It’s the most PC killing you can do. So you get your dark aspects but then it’s also definitely aimed for the wide audience of kids and adults. 

I might be wrong but there’s a group of Star Wars fans where unless what they watch is exactly how they imagined it in their head before they are disappointed. And I think you’re straying very close to that group. 

I loved the episode. The kids were drooling over baby yodo(tm kingbe) I was drooling over the Jawa scene and got a great chuckle from the distengration comment as well as how it’s actually done. 
  • If Yodo(tm kingbee) is 50 then he/she was born when Yoda was still alive. Based on the Canon timeline it’s birth would be during the prequels
    Elisa
  • Hatorian said:
    If Yodo(tm kingbee) is 50 then he/she was born when Yoda was still alive. Based on the Canon timeline it’s birth would be during the prequels
    I've seen online the birthyear is the same as Anakin's give or take a year.

Overall I'm really enjoying the series. It might just be that I unknowingly declared Fan Bankruptcy after the original trilogy, way before ARon ever invented it.
    HatorianElisa
  • CapeGabe said:
    Hatorian said:
    If Yodo(tm kingbee) is 50 then he/she was born when Yoda was still alive. Based on the Canon timeline it’s birth would be during the prequels
    I've seen online the birthyear is the same as Anakin's give or take a year.

Overall I'm really enjoying the series. It might just be that I unknowingly declared Fan Bankruptcy after the original trilogy, way before ARon ever invented it.
    Sounds right. My biggest concern now is how they plan to incorporate this force user into the sequels. Unless they don’t and we have a follow up series set after...or they kill the child before the sequels are set but I don’t see Disney doing that. 
    CapeGabeElisa
  • edited November 2019
    Hatorian said:

I might be wrong but there’s a group of Star Wars fans where unless what they watch is exactly how they imagined it in their head before they are disappointed. And I think you’re straying very close to that group. 
    You’re definitely not wrong. Despite a galaxy full of endless opportunities, there is a very large and very loud contingent of this fanbase that just does not want anything new or anything different from this franchise. There is an incredibly small box that they want Star Wars to fit inside of, and the second it doesn’t they mess their pantaloons and start screeching to the heavens about how the universe is broken now. No new ideas, no new concepts, no new conceits- just all OT all the time and nothing else. 

*Someone has purple hair* THAT’S NOT STAR WARS NOBODY HAS EVER HAD PURPLE HAIR BEFORE!!!!1!

*Someone shows a new force power* WE’VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO THAT WITH THE FORCE BEFORE THAT’S NOT STAR WARS!!!

*Lightspeed kamikaze* WHY DON’T THEY DO THAT ALL THE TIME THEN THAT’S NOT A STAR WAR!!!!

*Rey exists* THE GIRL IS BETTER THAN THE BOY THAT’S NOT STAR WARS!!

One of the first things always brought up by these people is whether something *feels* like Star Wars. Their fandom is tied almost explicitly to how they felt as children watching the thing, and nothing is ever going to make them feel that way again, so they reject anything new or different. 

Elisaawookiee

• *Someone has purple hair* THAT’S NOT STAR WARS NOBODY HAS EVER HAD PURPLE HAIR BEFORE!!!!1!

*Someone shows a new force power* WE’VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO THAT WITH THE FORCE BEFORE THAT’S NOT STAR WARS!!!

*Lightspeed kamikaze* WHY DON’T THEY DO THAT ALL THE TIME THEN THAT’S NOT A STAR WAR!!!!

*Rey exists* THE GIRL IS BETTER THAN THE BOY THAT’S NOT STAR WARS!!

Oh. So this is going to be one of *those* threads, I guess.
    MurderbearJaimieTRyanReesemanBloodyTacoElisaFlukesDarmock&Jalad@TenagraSchlupp
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    There's some aggravation to be worked out @JoshuaHeter
    JoshuaHeter
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I know Star Wars is personal to everyone but let's TRY and keep it about the show. There are already Star Wars threads to vent your anger over.  ;)

I thought episode 2 was great. I really don't care if he ever takes his helmet off. My official guess is that the first time it happens, someone else takes it off of him. He is doing a good job of exuding that cold bounty hunter attitude even without the crutch of "face-acting" or whatever you humans call it.

He does seem to take a lot of damage with very little consequences. I guess it's okay since he's such a badass but he got fucked up multiple times this episode and seemed to be okay at the end. Granted, he's got his lazer-health beam thing and I guess even basic Mando armor is pretty damn good.

Also, I've never wanted to reach into a TV screen and hug and protect anything more than Yodo(tm kingbee). It's ridiculously cute.
    JoshuaHeterDummyDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This is probably because I'm feeling burned by Watchmen, but I'm going to wait and see how the helmet situation resolves before deciding whether to watch more. It's a personal taste thing, but I like seeing someone's face in the medium of film. 
  • Personally I think it's the best Star Wars film or TV product I've seen since the OT so far.  Not counting stuff like KOTOR or Heir to the Empire.  Haven't watched Clone Wars, though.    

Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • I saw a review that said the show is like a kid took all their Star Wars toys, dumped them in a pile and started to play with them but in a good way. I agree. Who didn't want to drive around in a Jawa Crawler?
    I would to see a darker side of the Star Wars universe. I know Disney won’t go there. I liked Rogue One and this show. I would hope the powers that be will lean more towards a spin off thats aimed towards fans who don’t want a squeaky clean story. 
    Dummy
  • I dare anyone to name something more adorable in Star Wars than Baby Yoda. Porgs? No. BB-8? Not even close. Ewoks? Go fuck yourself. Nobody better even touch that adorable green jelly bean or I will come through the screen and murder them.  
    RyanReesemanCapeGabeMurderbearblue_sleeverkcrawfUnderwood
  • Dummy said:
    I dare anyone to name something more adorable in Star Wars than Baby Yoda. Porgs? No. BB-8? Not even close. Ewoks? Go fuck yourself. Nobody better even touch that adorable green jelly bean or I will come through the screen and murder them.  
    It’s hard to argue, the thing is really goddamn adorable. A podcast I listened to earlier this week called it a little shamrock shake and that feels right.
    Dummy
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2019
    Dummy said:
    I dare anyone to name something more adorable in Star Wars than Baby Yoda. Porgs? No. BB-8? Not even close. Ewoks? Go fuck yourself. Nobody better even touch that adorable green jelly bean or I will come through the screen and murder them.  
    It’s hard to argue, the thing is really goddamn adorable. A podcast I listened to earlier this week called it a little shamrock shake and that feels right.

Baby Yoda is so adorable it made Werner Herzog cry:

DummyMurderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    MrX said:
    Dummy said:

Baby Yoda is so adorable it made Werner Herzog cry:

I love Werner so much
  • I heard there was a baby yoda in this and thought that was some cynical bullshit but after seeing baby yoda I am 100% team baby yoda. 
    MurderbearCretanBull
  • So, 

I'm rewatching Empire, and that lead me to do some math. Yoda quips "For 800 years have I trained Jedi." And of course, in ROTJ, he insinuates that he's 900. 

Baby Yoda is supposedly 50. So, in just double his lifespan (when he's currently at best at toddler), he'll be mature enough (in principle) to be *training* Jedi?!

I mean... I *guess* Yoda couldn't been rounding up to the "800", and rounding down to the "900" (or just lying about both of these facts), and maybe he was an exceptionally quick learner.

But... it seems just as (or more) likely that these are details they didn't really think through.
  • So, 

I'm rewatching Empire, and that lead me to do some math. Yoda quips "For 800 years have I trained Jedi." And of course, in ROTJ, he insinuates that he's 900. 

Baby Yoda is supposedly 50. So, in just double his lifespan (when he's currently at best at toddler), he'll be mature enough (in principle) to be *training* Jedi?!

I mean... I *guess* Yoda couldn't been rounding up to the "800", and rounding down to the "900" (or just lying about both of these facts), and maybe he was an exceptionally quick learner.

But... it seems just as (or more) likely that these are details they didn't really think through.

Yoda creatures must hit a growth spurt at 75.
    JoshuaHeter
  • Kurt said:
    they are fine and ultimately bought off by an egg snack? 
    It's a really fucking good egg.

Maybe 50 is wrong.  It's not like baby yo told them his age.

I just watched the first two episodes last night.  Liked it a lot.  It's not Mad Men, but it's not supposed to be.  Adventure + weird looking aliens.  Isn't that why we came?

Let's get to the important stuff:  theories on who the baby is, why he has such a high price, and why the bounty was written so that he was supposed to be brought back dead.  I got nothin'.  Go!
  • If his/her age is really 50 then as someone else mentioned that would put it before the prequels. 

Yoda was alive. And also someone mentioned the doctor from E1 has the same Kamino patch. 

Could be a clone
    cloud be a Yoda offspring

• edited November 2019
    Hatorian said:

Could be a clone
    cloud be a Yoda offspring

Yoda & Yaddel got busy = Baby Yodel

Hatorian