The Crown Season 3 - SPOILERS

MichelleMichelle California
edited November 18 in Other TV
Is anyone else watching?  I wondered how the casting changes would affect the quality of the show but wow, I'm blown away by these performances.  I'm calling it now - Olivia Colman should be nominated as Best Actress (as Queen Elizabeth of course), and Charles Dance as Supporting Actor (as Lord Mountbatten), in the upcoming Baldies (I like Tobias Menzies and Helena Bonham Carter, and they're doing incredibly well in their roles as Prince Phillip and Princess Margaret, but I don't think they're my first choices for nominees out of this cast).

Episode 3 really got to me.  I wasn't aware of the Aberfan tragedy before today.  How horribly heartbreaking it must have been (and probably continues to be).  I'm not surprised that it's the thing that finally moved her to tears, even if it was in silence once she was home.   I read online that to this day, not visiting sooner than she did is her biggest regret in all the years of her reign.
Elisabazjensterkingbee67Noel

Comments

• We started yesterday. I think the casting is excellent as well but I think they have made Tobiaz mendes look a little too old for 1960s Phillip.. I loved the Spy in the Palace in the first episode too! 
    kingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Amazing just started ep 3 and the first two exceeded expectations. I underestimate this show every time. Every time they prove me wrong.  The second ep was I think the best since the scene in in season one where the king tells Phillip about his duty. I have been Loving Victoria and this show. After ep 2 I think this the best stuff Netflix has done. Sorry but I gotta get back t the show.
    Michellebazjenster
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I was finally able to catch up during the holiday break and I’m so happy with the decision. Like Michelle, I went into the season with a bit of hesitation about the new cast. I love Olivia Colman but it was going to be hard to get Claire Foy out of my head. And not to mention Vanessa Kirby, who I fell head over heels from the moment I saw her as Margaret. 

Needless to say, I’m so damn impressed with the third season of the this show. Olivia fucking kills it even though her role seems reduced in a lot of ways. Just a middle aged version of the show, not as much pure excitement. Helena Bonham Carter is amazing when she gets to shine, but she also feels underutilized. It doesn’t matter through, they hit the same levels as the first two seasons.

My biggest revelations were Prince Charles and to a lesser extent Princess Anne. I thought the actor who portrays Charles knocked it out of the fucking park. The episode where he goes to Wales was, in my opinion, the best of the season and one of the best episodes that I’ve seen in all of television this year. 

And of course Aberfan. I actually went for a walk around my block when it was over. Just to clear my head and let the breeze dry away the tears. The set up had me thinking that something was going to happen to all the fathers saying goodbye to their children. Man, what a massive gut punch. I felt bad for knowing nothing about this devastating event. 

Well, I didn’t plan on writing multiple paragraphs but here we are. I’m here for discussion. Shout out to The Crown season 3!
    Michellebazjenstermanhattnik
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited December 1
    Yeah Aberfan is still something that is very much in the public consciousness here in the UK. It was the anniversary of it a few weeks ago and there were plenty of pieces about it on the news. My granny was saying she found that episode difficult to watch because she can remember it happening so clearly.
    NoelbazjensterMichelle
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I loved Philip’s mother. I do think the moon landing episode seemed about five hours long. Like, creaky, obvious, tedious. Wales was great. 
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    The Princess Alice episode is my 2nd favorite this season just behind the Aberfan episode.  She had a very sad yet interesting life, and my heart broke watching Phillip stay away from her yet her wanting to see him.  Also, the actress portraying her was just stellar.  
    manhattnik
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    They really did lay on the whole “astronauts are dumb rocket jocks” thing way too heavy. They could’ve written Phillip’s not-very-original or interesting arc in a way that wasn’t so condescending to those truly heroic men. Maybe Phillip found them banal but I think that says more about him. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Catching up with the season now, just finished the Aberfan episode. Tough stuff, especially all the scenes pre landslide. I knew exactly what was about to happen but still found myself shouting GET OUT as all the kids got under their desks. Heartbreaking.

Like I said I'm only three eps in at this point, but I have to say I'm surprised by much I'm NOT enjoying Olivia Colman, I had expected to love her.

I'd never seen the show before so decided to binge the entire thing over the last few weeks, and compared to Claire Foy, it sort of feels like Colman isn't bothering with characterisation as much? That sounds like a daft thing to say given her calibre, but there is just something about her Elizabeth that isn't as immersive as Foy's, something in the accent perhaps, or more. 100% the same for Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret too, I think Vanessa Kirby was just too fucking good in the first two seasons.

I'm also not discounting the fact that as a Brit I might just be getting slightly more uncomfortable watching the drama the closer things get to my living memory haha. It was all fun and games watching the 1950s go down, but it's going to feel really weird when Diana and the like start to show up!
    manhattnikbazjenster